FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Riding in this heat

Riding in this heat

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ean counter OP   Man  over a year ago

Kettering/ Market Harborough

I was desperate to get out on my Ducati at the weekend but couldn't face putting my leathers on in 30 degree heat so failed miserably

Was anyone brave (or stupid) ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ilf n filfCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

Put your gear in the freezer for 20 minutes then put it on!!

"Put your gear in the freezer for 20 minutes then put it on!! "

Lol, it won't fit in there

By *ilf n filfCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

Go to Iceland or farm foods. They have big freezers

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes this Idiot was on one of his Ducati's

Got 1300 miles in down south then nipped home for a night then...

Did 450 miles from Lancashire meandering down to Norfolk and Suffolk.

Then the 'kin thing broke down just outside a village in the middle of nowhere in Cambridgeshire yesterday, it 35 degs, loads of Horseflies and I waited seven hours to be recovered.

Had my gore-tex gear on, lucky with all the liners removed and the vents open.

By *jcukMan  over a year ago

Solihull

Seven hours, in that heat! That's bloody ridiculous. To be honest, I didn't get out, Sunday would have been the day, but after an early run I just ached instead.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

We have Rev it airwave jacket and trousers so we were out and comfortable. Not as good protection as our leathers obviously but they do have protection built in. We bought them for our Europe trips as there is no way you can wear leathers in Italy when temperatures get up to 40 degrees. Not many days in this country they get used but weekend gone with it being 29degree they are good kit to have in your arsenal.

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

yes I melted on Sunday, but definitely cooler in Kevlar Jeans then Leather.

By *evoncream2017Couple  over a year ago

exeter

This is biking weather

Ride all the time. And it’s an air cooled big Harley.

It’s fine until you find traffic but just filter past

Air vent jacket gloves Kev jeans and keep

Your visor open with some eye protection

By *aughty electricianMan  over a year ago

Axminster

Yep. Fucking sweated. Probably lost 2 stone because of it.

Dress for the slide, not for the ride

By *rsmiley69Man  over a year ago

Cavan Monaghan

Went out on a poker run yesterday with over 100 others, grand when i was moving, light summer jacket an leather trousers an very glad I purchased a flip up lid

Yes, did both Sat and Sun on a Blood Bike. Textile jacket with mesh panels, with a high viz on top and kevlar jeans.

It was damn hot and not much fun at all!

By *ot meetingMan  over a year ago

down at the bottom of the garden

I have crashed enough to know it bloody hurts, and it hurts more the older you get with longer recovery times.

However in serious heat like this I ride in jeans & a old denim jacket.

I find my riding style is significantly different knowing I lack the protection & my observations improved.

YES I know these will not stop all accidents but it's my choice.

Given my incredibly limited free time my only other option is not to ride during summer. Given that i choose not to ride in the bad weather any more unless I absolutely have to i only get out once or twice a year so i will continue doing this.

"Yes this Idiot was on one of his Ducati's

Then the 'kin thing broke down just outside a village in the middle of nowhere in Cambridgeshire yesterday, it 35 degs, loads of Horseflies and I waited seven hours to be recovered.

"

You should have put an SOS out on here. Im sure someone local would have helped you out with cold drinks and an umbrella for shade !

"

Jesus wept did nobody stop and even offer any help in that time.

I had to take my triumph to the racing last Saturday which was the hottest recorded here, because the gixis in getting suspension upgrades. And boy it cooked me, had to keep moving my right leg away from the bike in traffic.

"I had to take my triumph to the racing last Saturday which was the hottest recorded here, because the gixis in getting suspension upgrades. And boy it cooked me, had to keep moving my right leg away from the bike in traffic. "

Yes, thats a major problem with Ducatis the heat under your backside! Quite nice on a cool day but things get a bit sticky when its warmer

Short two night trip over the weekend away. 29c plus in full alpinestars 1piece leathers, gloves, full face helmet etc.

Plenty of water through the day, important to keep hydrated!

Sounds obvious but park in the shade.

At the beginning of the day pour water down the front of my leathers to keep cool.

Durham

"I have crashed enough to know it bloody hurts, and it hurts more the older you get with longer recovery times.

I find my riding style is significantly different knowing I lack the protection & my observations improved.

Given my incredibly limited free time my only other option is not to ride during summer. Given that i choose not to ride in the bad weather any more unless I absolutely have to i only get out once or twice a year so i will continue doing this."

Maybe look for kevlar jeans, kevlar shirt or hoody. Just as cool, 100% better protection when some crazy driver causes you an off.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

"I was desperate to get out on my Ducati at the weekend but couldn't face putting my leathers on in 30 degree heat so failed miserably

Was anyone brave (or stupid) ? "

Yep, Did 450+ miles over the weekend with a chunk of it mobile marshalling a vintage bike run at mostly 30-40mph.

Not something i’ll do again in the heat tbh as my old bike weighs a tonne & kicks out some serious heat itself when hot. My nutsack felt like boil in the bag rice! :D

Not even the early morning fast blast back home on near empty Welsh roads made up for it.

S

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

Was in a Trackday at blyton park on Sunday, so full leathers. Was hot as balls

By *eenb4Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

Just in from a hot ride. Kevlar jeans and took liner out the jacket. Still cooked a little but was worth the ride out. X

Yep been out the last three days, Dainese vented jacket, Kevlar jeans, short vented boots and a flip up helmet for the airflow. GS Adventure and no issues

You should have put an SOS out on here. Im sure someone local would have helped you out with cold drinks and an umbrella for shade !"

If I'd have thought of that, you'd have been pm'd straight away!

Went for a bike ride today on the harley, open face helmet, t-shirt under leather jacket, stuck to jeans today. Fabulous day.

By *ikerdude666Man  over a year ago

Swadlincote

"I have crashed enough to know it bloody hurts, and it hurts more the older you get with longer recovery times.

Given my incredibly limited free time my only other option is not to ride during summer. Given that i choose not to ride in the bad weather any more unless I absolutely have to i only get out once or twice a year so i will continue doing this.

Maybe look for kevlar jeans, kevlar shirt or hoody. Just as cool, 100% better protection when some crazy driver causes you an off. "

Some kevlar kit is now rated better than leathers. Google kevlar cambridge testing. I came across it while searching for decent kevlar kit as i wasnt 100% sure how good it was and now im a little more educated in what to look for.

My bike stays locked away when It's too hot. I can't be doing with the hot sweaty leathers . I know that sounds perfect for a few on here . But it's not for me. I get hot and bothered and flustered in this heat on my bike . Lol

By *uffymayfairCouple  over a year ago

Almeria

Over here in Southern spain we. Have been hitting over 40 degrees and you regularly see riders wearing shorts, t shirts and on one occasion a woman with strappy top short skirt and mules, nothing else apart from a horse riding helmet which for some reason a lot of people wear on Scooters, I believe in having the choice but I'd hate to see the mess if she came off

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

"Over here in Southern spain we. Have been hitting over 40 degrees and you regularly see riders wearing shorts, t shirts and on one occasion a woman with strappy top short skirt and mules, nothing else apart from a horse riding helmet which for some reason a lot of people wear on Scooters, I believe in having the choice but I'd hate to see the mess if she came off"

Right, here is a terrible confession.

Last Sunday me and the wife rode back from Evesham in jeans and vest top on my GS Adventurer.

It was bloody lovely, not done that for decades. It was obviously against all protocol, and feel I've let dedicated bikers down.

Nice but naughty.

Durham

"Over here in Southern spain we. Have been hitting over 40 degrees and you regularly see riders wearing shorts, t shirts and on one occasion a woman with strappy top short skirt and mules, nothing else apart from a horse riding helmet which for some reason a lot of people wear on Scooters, I believe in having the choice but I'd hate to see the mess if she came off

Last Sunday me and the wife rode back from Evesham in jeans and vest top on my GS Adventurer.

It was bloody lovely, not done that for decades. It was obviously against all protocol, and feel I've let dedicated bikers down.

Nice but naughty. "

All that is going to do is get you on the police radar. We have friends who used to be bike cops and they would be drawn to crazy people with no protective clothing. Pull them over and try their best to find a defect. Maybe it still happens maybe it doesn't. So you haven't let anyone down but yourselves.

Almeria

"Over here in Southern spain we. Have been hitting over 40 degrees and you regularly see riders wearing shorts, t shirts and on one occasion a woman with strappy top short skirt and mules, nothing else apart from a horse riding helmet which for some reason a lot of people wear on Scooters, I believe in having the choice but I'd hate to see the mess if she came off

Nice but naughty. "

Almeria

Nice but naughty. "

I personally will ensure that I'm wearing decent boots, gloves and at the least jeans/combats, I'm still of the thought that a helmet should be to he riders decision but that's my personal opinion.

"Over here in Southern spain we. Have been hitting over 40 degrees and you regularly see riders wearing shorts, t shirts and on one occasion a woman with strappy top short skirt and mules, nothing else apart from a horse riding helmet which for some reason a lot of people wear on Scooters, I believe in having the choice but I'd hate to see the mess if she came off"

What I say to people is imagine wearing shorts and a T shirt and simply running as fast as you can (most normal people 7-10mph) and then diving to the ground on tarmac and see how much that hurts. Now imagine the same at 30, 60, 90mph it simply isn't worth it. Dress for the slide not for the ride!

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

I once had to deal with a traffic incident that turned out to be a young boy who came off his motorbike. Tight country lane, swung wide and ran out of road.

Wasn't a massive issue until we realised that he had a pillion. He was wearing leather jeans and a jacket. She had a pair of denim jeans and a light summer top. He walked away but she was a mess.

I had to visit London last week and chose to use the bike. Stupid decision. It was hell but I wore the pads, trousers and jackets.

Knox urbane and you are good to go, I done a few days away from home on the bike with just my leather jeans, a T-shirt and the Urbane. Perfect and gives you the safety ratings too. Pricey but absolutely worth it

The Dainese gore tex two piece I have has removable everything and big flaps front and rear of the jacket to let air pass through.

I was out on my Ducati, but my leathers have cloth panels so do let some cooler air in when you get moving thankfully!

» Add a new message to this topic