FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Needing experience

Needing experience

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m a relatively new rider. Passed test in 2019. Rode bikes in late 80s but honestly not too experienced. I need to upgrade my confidence in cornering if I’m honest. Are track days worth doing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

If yo aren’t confident yet then I wouldn’t recommend trackdays, they can be intense and if fast group riders can’t get in fast group they will book novice (not me)

Look at i2i motorcycle academy online. They do some good courses.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'd say no. Although it will teach you about machine control it bears no resemblance to riding on the roads that have potholes, oncoming traffic etc. Much better to get some lessons, with an emphasis on being a returning biker or an Enhanced Rider Scheme then maybe onto an advanced course.

Morning, you can't beat time in the saddle (tits) lol build your confidence, on road training such as bike safe, one to one advanced trainer etc is great observation is key!

Would thoroughly recommend some track work, great to build skills in a controlled and surprisingly safe environment, but start with a track training day, such as rapid training rather than just jumping straight in a open track day with all the racer wannabes (that will come with time)

Ride safe and have fun!

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks for the advice guys.

By *olinservingMan  over a year ago

wallasey

I’d look into rider training too, something like the IAM perhaps …..

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

"If yo aren’t confident yet then I wouldn’t recommend trackdays, they can be intense and if fast group riders can’t get in fast group they will book novice (not me)

Look at i2i motorcycle academy online. They do some good courses. "

I've been on 2 i2i MCA courses and I can't recommend them highly enough. Excellent courses. Value for money though, you can't beat RoSPA or IAM Advanced training for road riding.

By *othighlander2Man  over a year ago

North Inverness

I did the i2i course afew years ago and never looked back. a brilliant easy course and taught by a sound guy too. Teaches counter steering how it should be taught when you are learning...changed my confidence in cornering dramatically as I understood what i was doing...check it on facebook and youtube..enjoy and keep practising

"If yo aren’t confident yet then I wouldn’t recommend trackdays, they can be intense and if fast group riders can’t get in fast group they will book novice (not me)

Look at i2i motorcycle academy online. They do some good courses. "

By *ananas2013Man  over a year ago

wolves

"I’m a relatively new rider. Passed test in 2019. Rode bikes in late 80s but honestly not too experienced. I need to upgrade my confidence in cornering if I’m honest. Are track days worth doing? "

Just go out take your time and ride at your own pace everything else will come.

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Look at BikerCraft on Amazon a grate book with all you need to know about riding

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

Take a look at IAM Road safe web page. They will direct you to your local group. We both took IAM training many years ago. The road craft they will teach you is so valuable. I found it so enlightening I even became an observer myself. Go do it you will be amazed how your confidence will grow

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Look at the Advanced Motoring Group. There used to be a group of riders met up at the weekend and went for a spin, then during a fag/coffee break they explained what you were doing and told you how to improve.

In the end you need to have a bike you feel confident with, then slowly push your boundaries. I went from an RF600 to an R6, the R6 gave me so much more confidence in corners. I never got my knee down, but I scraped a foot peg once or twice.

[Removed by poster at 22/09/21 12:59:18]

Off road enduro type days can be good too get used to the wheels moving around and different surfaces instead of going into full panic mode if it steps out or skids plenty of race schools that teach too, some police courses can be good too

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

My local circuit did an introductory track course. Definitely worthwhile, and good preparation for a novice track session

Also, I'd recommend advanced training. Organisations like IAM also run sessions based on track. It gives you a great opportunity to push harder, brake firmly, on a nice, wide, sticky surface without oncoming traffic, islands, manhole covers, etc.

Private companies like i2i do excellent skills focused courses. Again, thoroughly recommended.

By *oldenfoxMan  over a year ago

chester

Hi Bob I've been riding bikes and racing them for 50 years my sons have bikes and compete on them as well the advice I gave them is practice makes perfect the more road time you get the better you will get and ride safely it's all about confidence

Edinburgh

Another thought about track sessions.

It's a great way to experience and learn from how your bike handles.

You can follow others, learn their lines, and you'll be surprised that your bike is surprisingly capable.

You'll learn how important being smooth is, in relation to lean, throttle, and braking. Being in a responsive gear versus too high or too low a gear.

Also, if you brake hard mid corner, your bike will naturally want to straighten up. It's physics, it's unavoidable, so worth learning how that feels, and strategies for keeping/tightening your line, on track, rather than waiting till you experience it, and target fixation when Eddie Stobart is in front of you.

Don't under estimate how much advanced courses can offer, and further learning. Check out Total Control. A dry read, but it explains a lot.

Edinburgh

Google Full Kontrol, is what I meant to say.

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

I would go the oppostie way and suggest if you need confience then some time riding off the road uld ive you a better understanding of what a bike fells like as it loses grip and how to control that , its no coincidence that moto gp has become a damn site cloer racing since the riders started using rossis off road ranch on dirt bikes , , the coners are off camber covered and shale and sand so controling the bike with throttle balance and clutch with little regard for use of braking except through thottle and gear selection, that WILL give you confidence you can handle the unexpected ! Theres a female stunt rider who quoted that suggestionas a lifellong tip for improving your skills ,

By *teve_S65Man  over a year ago

Peterborough

Join your local IAM group (Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists) it’s £149 for 1-2-1 tutoring & test. Best thing I ever did on a motorbike

» Add a new message to this topic