FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Puncture

Puncture

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lex46 OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Rode the 230 miles to Blackpool for the weekend on Friday, parked the XJR and had a wonderful sexy weekend.

Returned to the bike on Sunday and the back tyre is completely flat. Managed to ride it 1/2 mile back to the hotel and started looking for a way to pump it up.

A very d*unk Scottish guy said he had a portable compressor in his car. Excellent, unfortunately he couldn't remember where he parked his car, eventually found it after half an hour looking and I had to drive his car to the hotel.

His boot was full of rubbish but there was no compressor there! I ended up riding to Sainsburys garage a mile away and managed to get some air in the tyre.

Eventually I started to make my way home. I stopped 4 times to put some air in. I would pump it up to 60Psi which would last an hour and go down to 20Psi.

The last stop was 40 miles away by the time I was 3 miles from home and the bike started moving all over the place, I just carried on. Arrived home, bike in the garage and I couldn't get a reading on the pressure gauge

Anyway, I removed the tyre today, checked the inside and the tyre is fine. Ordered a Tubeless puncture repair kit and I'll plug it and see how it goes. I'll also make sure I put it under the seat in future

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wifterMan  over a year ago

lancaster

Bad luck but you did very well to get all the way back to Somerset with the puncture. Hope the repair goes well.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

I always carry a tubeless repair kit on the bike just in case. Few weeks ago a fellow biker at a bike meet needed a pump up. I am your man I declared. Took out the repair kit and small potable compressor with a big smile, as I am your man, and proud to help. Only to find I had mixed up the connectors for my pump with the optimate connectors so apparently I wasn't the man. On a plus, when I got home I made sure all the correct connectors are now in my repair pack. Phew so glad it wasn't me who had the puncture in the middle of no where. All prepared now though thanks to a fellow biker who needed help, I wasn't the man on that occasion

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

i always carry a can of finnilec just dont put it in your luggage on a trip to the TT

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm amazed if that tyre is any good, I'd be replacing it, are you not in the AA or anything, they plugged mine at the roadside and it got me home

By *rivenSnowCouple  over a year ago

Uk

Plugged one of mine in the past and did 3k on it. Only changed it when tread got low.

Near Wells

"I'm amazed if that tyre is any good, I'd be replacing it, are you not in the AA or anything, they plugged mine at the roadside and it got me home"

I'm in the AA but prefer to get home under my own steam if I can.

I went to plug the tyre yesterday only to discover there was another hole coming out of the side of the original hole and through into where the tread is cut.

I'll be ordering a new tyre tomorrow, only had this one on for a year

By *lancmangecplCouple  over a year ago

farnborough

Well done for getting yourself home but I’ve always called AA to get me to a garage to change the tyre. Probably over cautious but given the tyres job I’d rather not take any chances

By *ingdong100Man  over a year ago

West yorkshire

I was in the lake district that weekend,wish I had known I would have been glad to help.

By *ingdong100Man  over a year ago

West yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 12/10/21 15:00:04]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Did you not use tub of water to find leak

By *ydrewMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Nothing worse than a puncture. Got one few months back didn't realise until bike felt like had square wheel

By *ikerdude2017Man  over a year ago

Retford

I have put slime in tyresin the past had this has saved me a number of times. Maybe a winter project to get it in my new bike tyres.

By *acksunnydayCouple  over a year ago

Crosby

If you have rode that far on a deflating tyre the sidewalls will be knackered not worth the risk as it's your life

Near Wells

"If you have rode that far on a deflating tyre the sidewalls will be knackered not worth the risk as it's your life "

The sidewalls were fine, there was no sign of disintegration, cracks or dust inside the tyre.

If it wasn't for the other hole I would have happily and confidently used the tyre.

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Sounds like a good idea to carry at kit but you can not put a fag paper under the seat of the zzr so have to make sure im in the aa

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Sounds like a good idea to carry at kit but you can not put a fag paper under the seat of the zzr so have to make sure im in the aa"

We are in RAC also (about £80 for both of us) worth every penny as you just never know when you can't do a repair or break down on a motorway.

Take a look at kriega bags they do a small tail pack that looks OK on the back seat just big enough to put a repair kit in

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

"Sounds like a good idea to carry at kit but you can not put a fag paper under the seat of the zzr so have to make sure im in the aa

We are in RAC also (about £80 for both of us) worth every penny as you just never know when you can't do a repair or break down on a motorway.

Take a look at kriega bags they do a small tail pack that looks OK on the back seat just big enough to put a repair kit in "

Not to bad if out touring as have the bags on but if me and the miss out for a ride don't won't to lode the bike up

» Add a new message to this topic