FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Bike security CCTV

Bike security CCTV

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *amish S OP   Man  over a year ago

Eastleigh

No doubt many here have CCTV securing their property and bikes, but today's judgement on Ring doorbells in the UK is shocking. Could this be the end of these devices and other CCTV cameras that record voice.

The ring camera was overlooking a residents car park where attempted theft had happened in the past. It was not actually intruding into or onto the claimants property or gardens allegedly.

Considering her judgement this could affect all CCTV, even in public spaces and dashcams. The judge sounded out of her depth.

The judge has a track record that would embarrass colleagues, how ever she qualified is beyond me.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

It's a nice can of worms for well paid lawyers and barristers to argue about though so some people will be happy on both sides of the law.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS  over a year ago

glasgow

When you read about it the persons camera on their shed over looked most of the neighbours garden and parking space plus the audio was on all the time so was picking up conversations of the neighbour. So I can see why she took him to court.

You have to have signage up if you have cctv and you can have it looking into another property.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS  over a year ago

glasgow

Can't have it looking on to another property

Eastleigh

From what I gather, you can but then must have signs up. It will also come under the GDPR and DPA. Recording of any public conversation is illegal in the UK it seems, which rules out doorbells, as the settings when switched off stops you talking to whoever is at your door. If you don't record it, ie no sobscription or local storage it is fine.

Looks like this guy failed to respond to requests and comply by the law and as such the mess he now has.

Eastleigh

To add, if your camera overlooks another property or public space you need to prove it is needed and that other less intrusive methods are unworkable. If your camera does not overlook the above the regs don't apply to you.

Looks like the jury is still out on dashcam, but I can see a German type system being introduced in the UK for these.

Weirdly, if you have an accident the dashcam footage the accident belongs to you, but the moment the other driver gets out of the car the footage belongs to them according to the DPA.

What a mess.

» Add a new message to this topic