FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > NC500

NC500

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Planning to do this first half of next year staying in B&Bs. I've had people say I shouldn't do it alone especially on some of the more challenging roads. I'm used to riding alone and have toured other parts of the UK alone without any issues. Has anyone here undertaken it on a bike and what advice do you have?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *aggismuncher69Man  over a year ago

Johnstone

100% do it. It is amazing on a bike. Yes be careful on single track roads and watch out for uneven camber/pot holes etc but the majority of the roads are in good condition and just stunning. I would recommend doing it anticlockwise starting from Inverness. The landscape just gets more and more dramatic as you go west.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don’t see a reason why not to do it alone.

It’s a great road with lots of views and things to see. I quite enjoy riding on my own. It gives you freedom of making your own choices and places to stop.

There are some spectaculars roads.

As said above: do it anti-clockwise.

I’d pay a visit to smoo cave, Sango sands (I think cocoa mountain chocolate shop is close by) Achmelvich beach is nice.

Dunnet head. Dancasby stacks.

Definitely would go to Applecross on way down and have nice meal at Applecross inn.

There is a lot of nice places to see. Make your own plan or just explore as you go and speak to locals about hidden gems.

Thank you both for responding. Will definitely give it a go x

By *othighlander2Man  over a year ago

North Inverness

I live on the east side of the NC500 and its no problem at all just take your time and enjoy it xx plenty of stops and pics x and if you want some company and I'm about would be cool to join in x

"Thank you both for responding. Will definitely give it a go x"

By *hoenix_1Man  over a year ago

richmond

"Planning to do this first half of next year staying in B&Bs. I've had people say I shouldn't do it alone especially on some of the more challenging roads. I'm used to riding alone and have toured other parts of the UK alone without any issues. Has anyone here undertaken it on a bike and what advice do you have? "

Sounds like you know what you want to do do go out and do it, take care and enjoy

By *not69Man  over a year ago

Burnley

It's on my list of things to do next year too xx

By *uzanne and RickyCouple  over a year ago

Midlothian

I’d suggest doing it anti clockwise from Inverness but add in a trip over to the isles while your there. Pop over to Orkney for a day if you can. Yes take your time etc but enjoy yourself.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

I've been up that way many times.

I'd recommend fitting in some of the interior roads.

A838 Laxford Bridge to Lairg, then

A839 to Ledmore, or I opposite direction.

On your way up, avoid the A9. Plenty better roads for bikes.

Go safe!

By *ssexmickMan  over a year ago

Rawreth

Im looking to do the Nc500 when are you planning to go ?

Im off to Spa 15th to 20th june next year

"I’d suggest doing it anti clockwise from Inverness but add in a trip over to the isles while your there. Pop over to Orkney for a day if you can. Yes take your time etc but enjoy yourself. "

Thanks for the reply. Definitely decided on anti clockwise. This may be a 'find my feet trip' and go back to explore areas in greater depth over the next couple of years. I hadn't thought about the islands so that may be another visit...

"I've been up that way many times.

I'd recommend fitting in some of the interior roads.

A838 Laxford Bridge to Lairg, then

A839 to Ledmore, or I opposite direction.

On your way up, avoid the A9. Plenty better roads for bikes.

Go safe!

"

Thank you and I'll have a look at the map over the weekend x

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"I hadn't thought about the islands so that may be another visit... "

You can take a ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway. You can buy an island hopper ticket, and ride down to Barra, then mainland ferry to Oban. Some of the islands are joined by causeway, so can ride from one to the other.

Lots of route options. One for a separate thread perhaps.

"I hadn't thought about the islands so that may be another visit...

You can take a ferry from Ullapool to Stornoway. You can buy an island hopper ticket, and ride down to Barra, then mainland ferry to Oban. Some of the islands are joined by causeway, so can ride from one to the other.

Lots of route options. One for a separate thread perhaps.

"

Separate thread and trip! x

By *oShrinkingVioletWoman  over a year ago

the land of unicorns and fairytales

"Planning to do this first half of next year staying in B&Bs. I've had people say I shouldn't do it alone especially on some of the more challenging roads. I'm used to riding alone and have toured other parts of the UK alone without any issues. Has anyone here undertaken it on a bike and what advice do you have? "

Haven’t done the nc500 on my own have been up there twice now, but did do the wild Atlantic way in Ireland on my own this year, I do average easily 150-300 miles a day round the west coast of Scotland on my own regularly when no one else comes out to play if you look online for RTW Roxy you’ll be very impressed with a young Scottish/polish female who’s done more than her share of travelling the world solo and she’s inspiring me all the time not only with her bike adventures but her mountain hiking now too !! Nothing wrong with being an independent female happy to go out on your own x

By *ornyhighlander1993Man  over a year ago

Highland

I work on the roads covering most of the NC500. The parts I don't work on I know well also.

Any tips, info or questions feel free to message me.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm trying to average about 100-150 miles a day. I won't be getting off the bike to hike but want to be able to take in the scenery with frequent stops x

By *horman11Man  over a year ago

Thurso

I live in Thurso on the NC500 and it gets very busy the later in the year. Thurso has a Premier Inn if you are looking for accommodation.

By *oShrinkingVioletWoman  over a year ago

the land of unicorns and fairytales

"Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm trying to average about 100-150 miles a day. I won't be getting off the bike to hike but want to be able to take in the scenery with frequent stops x"

Let us know when you’re coming up and there’s a few of us can come meet you for a days ride

"Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm trying to average about 100-150 miles a day. I won't be getting off the bike to hike but want to be able to take in the scenery with frequent stops x

Let us know when you’re coming up and there’s a few of us can come meet you for a days ride "

That would be great. I'll let you know x

By *achelacTV/TS  over a year ago

Carnforth

I a r don't alot of trips around scotland, done while coast of Scotland too.. Tips..

Don't do too many miles in a day, stop lots and enjoy the ride. Watch fuel too.. Stay safe and enjoy yourself x

By *ebellCouple  over a year ago

NW Highlands

Definitely go for it! It’s probably better doing it on a bike because it does get very busy and trying to pass others in a car is a nightmare at least on a bike you can get passed easily.

By *um24Man  over a year ago

Coventry

I had a great experience this April BH with four days I managed to travel up the east coast, then across the top and back down the west including the NC500, without realising. I did it on possibly the most comfortable bike but not the most practical, was a Harley 1836cc managed to stay in a nice B&B in Tongue. My advice is to up north of Inverness to fill up where you can because there is not so many options on filling up. Loved the trip and am available if you have any questions

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Definitely do it on your own, you know what you're capable of.

Most of my riding is done on my own, even trips around Europe. If you look, there are stories of women riding around the world on their own. The NC500 would be wonderful.

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

as has been said before fill up at every opertunity managed to get 200 miles out of a tank on a zzr1100 a few years ago not by choice

By *athers123Man  over a year ago

Harpenden

I've done parts of it. The most dangerous thing is the midges (take repellant) although having said that I did it in great weather. Something like the Applecross Pass in pouring rain or high winds would be hairy obviously.

If you can, go up to Inverness via the Cairngorms National Park (starting around Blairgowrie) then it'll be an added bonus. In good weather it's spectacular.

By *parkle LoungeWoman  over a year ago

South West

I’m planning on doing it next year too

By *o againTV/TS  over a year ago

swansea

I'm seriously thinking about doing this.. I've got to the point in life that I need a challenge.

Thanks for all the recent posts and encouragement. Will definitely be doing this trip next May/June time on my own and can't wait. It may not end up being the true NC500 as I'd like to go to Skye and a couple of other places while up there x

Remember there is plenty other roads in Scotland that are beautiful and much less busy

"Remember there is plenty other roads in Scotland that are beautiful and much less busy

"

Think I'm going to be doing several more trips in the future. Certainly one out to the islands and others from more central bases to explore areas more in depth x

By *orthwestbikerxxMan  over a year ago

lancs

Yes we have done it ,rained every day ...Still enjoyed it we did it over 4 days should have toke longer

But always next year do it again

NC500 on the cards for 2023 for me as well…

By *amedgMan  over a year ago

Enniskillen

NC500 are the Ring of Kerry is on the cards this year for me ... But NC500 sounds lovely ??

By *ikergent50Man  over a year ago

bathgate

100% do it and you will be fine on your own .. you will find you will meet friendly folk on the whole route .. take a good puncture kit and a battery compressor though as I got caught out with punctures on it .. take good rain gear too as it’s Scotland you never know when it’s gonna be wet .. I’ve done it 5 times so pm for any info or advice

bathgate

"Remember there is plenty other roads in Scotland that are beautiful and much less busy

Think I'm going to be doing several more trips in the future. Certainly one out to the islands and others from more central bases to explore areas more in depth x"

A good full day ride is the ardnamurchan peninsula that’s gorgeous too .. I’m looking at Europe this year I fancy the Pyrenees

bathgate

"I’m planning on doing it next year too"

You should try the road from Lairg to tongue it’s stunning too

Think I'm going to be doing several more trips in the future. Certainly one out to the islands and others from more central bases to explore areas more in depth x

A good full day ride is the ardnamurchan peninsula that’s gorgeous too .. I’m looking at Europe this year I fancy the Pyrenees "

Think that will go on the list for another visit. I like the idea of Europe but I've never driven on the other side of the road let along ridden x

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

A good full day ride is the ardnamurchan peninsula that’s gorgeous too .. I’m looking at Europe this year I fancy the Pyrenees "

Takes you to the most westerly point of mainland Britain and oh boy what a road!! Donit regularly for fun, have a coffee at the lighthouse, stroke the collie dog and come back via Strontian and the ferry.

Awesome journey and not for the faint hearted if doing it at speed!! Lol.

Have a look at the Independent hostels for accommodation. Brilliant when we were there. Also, I'd consider a trip across to Skye, when you're on the east coast it's not a long trip and can be well worth it

By *estieMan  over a year ago

lanark

Hi yeah done it many times, there are more quieter routes than the normal ones. The backroads that the motorhomes cannot go

» Add a new message to this topic