FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Best commuter bike.

Best commuter bike.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I start a new job in January. It’s 45 miles each way commute. I have a 03 plate 600 Bandit and a Honda cbf 125. I only passed my test in 2019 so I am a relatively new biker, but did a combined 8500 miles last year on my bikes. I need a dead reliable economical bike for all year round commute. 20 miles motorway and then 25 miles “A” roads . I’m thinking Honda NC 700. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *appychappy13Man  over a year ago

Addlestone

I have the 1250 bandit, it's used for commuting socal and touring its a awesome all round bike that does everything

By *laderider1969Man  over a year ago

ipswich

Old or new? If old then

Honda Cbr600 or Kawasaki ZZR600 Yamaha Fazor are all good.

Or vfr750 is a good all rounder.

But any 500cc and over would be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I am needing really good fuel economy. I can squeeze 65 mpg from my 600 Bandit, but am thinking 80mpg + from the 2 cylinder 700cc NC 700 and it’s better reliability may be the one to buy. I’ll keep my Bandit for my simple touring and camping trips.

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

Not same fuel economy but Yamaha Tracer 700 would be good as the CP2 engine is a great engine in my opinion

ipswich

Well I think you’re found the answer but a

Nc700x 80 mph and keep or buy a weekend bike.

ipswich

Well I think you’re found the answer buy a

"Well I think you’re found the answer buy a

Nc700x 80 mph and keep or buy a weekend bike. "

That’s what I was thinking, just threw it out there to more experienced bikers in case I was missing something. Thanks.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Your bandit would do the job, how many miles are you going to have to do to cover the loss on another bike? You've got all the extra maintenance and road tax to add in also.

By *ssexmickMan  over a year ago

Rawreth

Cbr500rr nice and light great all round performance 70mpg plus

Led lights very reliable cheap to service

If looking at brand new probably worth checking out the new honda hornet 750

By *ustme34Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Bandit 12 here . Great all round it seems . My comute to work isnt long but i use it for that in summer.

By *arcyDMan  over a year ago

Newport

VFR does it all imho

By *etrothedkinkCouple  over a year ago

Derby

Triumph street triple all day, 3 cylinder so good on fuel, don’t need to rev its nuts off and so much fun. Really comfortable to ride aswell. I’ve got a 19plate 765 rs

By *arcyDMan  over a year ago

Newport

VFR does it all imho

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

NC700 is a pretty good choice, hard to beat its fuel economy. Maybe a 650 V-Strom if you can't find a NC at the right price

"Not same fuel economy but Yamaha Tracer 700 would be good as the CP2 engine is a great engine in my opinion"

great bike

By *isterE ManMan  over a year ago

Taunton

I do a 100mile round trip. About 20 on A/B roads, the rest on the Mway.

I use a CBR500R. Its no sportsbike I average about 75mpg, get 210- 230 on a tank.

Its only a commute bike, handles pretty well, fun on twisties and B roads.

6'+ I would recoment a test ride as its not the most comfy position but, you get used to it. Had mine just over a year and done 20k.

By *ayarMan  over a year ago

Wirral

Thought about a big scooter style like a TMax or similar? Offer a bit of protection on the motorways and return decent mpg

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Depends what you are looking for, as in a faired or unfaired bike.

Have you looked at adventure bikes, they can handle most roads comfortably.

Sports tourers, eat the miles up, but have a bit of poke for the fun times.

I had an old RF900, I managed to get 210 miles out of the tank regularly, ok I rode everywhere at 65mph. But it gave me the an extra day to and from work out of the tank.

By *apicarescaCouple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

"Triumph street triple all day, 3 cylinder so good on fuel, don’t need to rev its nuts off and so much fun. Really comfortable to ride aswell. I’ve got a 19plate 765 rs "

With you on this one. I use my OH’s old Striple 675 for commuting into Manchester. He used to use it for commuting Kent to London. It’s fun, light, easy to ride, economical and won’t cost you a fortune to insure. Plus built in alarms and immobilisers are helpful from a security POV.

I rode it for a year when I passed my test before I bought my Ducati, and I still use it now for commutes. Awesome bike.

By *ylon big spurterMan  over a year ago

Blennerhasset

Best bike I ever had was zzr600, loved that bike, traded it in for zzr1200, boring as hell, hated it.

Stick with about 600-750cc and enjoy it, work the bike and think about gear selection etc, instead of just twisting and going like a rocket is my advice, for what it’s worth

Hi loads of amazing bikes out there depending on your height! I have to say I like adventure style for commuting as you’re sitting up and can see easier the numptys in cars who are still asleep! I had a Honda nc 750x for couple of years and brilliant 80 mpg wasn’t unusual yet plenty of pep. Also the handy helmet stow makes safe without load of boxes. Cb500x similar. But if you’re a bit shorter (I’m 6’1’) Kawasaki z400 awesome machine nipple and great flickable bike in traffic

By *otorcyclingPerson666Man  over a year ago

western hemisphere , planet earth

know several folks with nc750`s and they love them for the fuel economy,not the most exciting of bikes but as yoiur still a relative newbie it would probably be the sensible choice.

i`m not saensible so use my fazer 1000

Lots of really good advice here, thanks folks.

Anything that's more sit up than sports would be good under 600cc to keep fuel ec high

By *ikester85Man  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Speed triple because its just bloody good on those roads, not good for fuel economy but got to enjoy the ride to work! The street triple has been mentioned and would definitely be fun as well as practical.

By *xpertlinguistMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Have a look at the 2023 lineup from Royal Enfield, there's some cracking stuff, sensibly priced new, great warranty, retro looks with modern technology, and all great on fuel consumption.

Even something as small as the Himalayan, with a few mods (+1 tooth on the front spocket) would cope well with your commuting needs, I love mine, it's full of character, I've got another 2 bikes in my workshop, a K1100 and an MG California, the himmy is my one to go to daily.

By *ust Us TogetherCouple  over a year ago

Newport

Deffo have a longer ride on an NC before you buy. The seat is really hard, if you are a little heavy you will find it painful after 25 miles...had one as a loaner and it was very uncomfortable for me.

"Deffo have a longer ride on an NC before you buy. The seat is really hard, if you are a little heavy you will find it painful after 25 miles...had one as a loaner and it was very uncomfortable for me. "

Thankyou.

Eastbourne

I seem to remember royal enfield making a diesel bike, I bet that gives you good mileage.

SV650 for me. Filtering beast.

By *i4bicplsMan  over a year ago

Darwen

"I start a new job in January. It’s 45 miles each way commute. I have a 03 plate 600 Bandit and a Honda cbf 125. I only passed my test in 2019 so I am a relatively new biker, but did a combined 8500 miles last year on my bikes. I need a dead reliable economical bike for all year round commute. 20 miles motorway and then 25 miles “A” roads . I’m thinking Honda NC 700. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks. "

I used to own a Honda NC700, it never failed me. And great fuel economy. I'd owned it for almost 10yrs.

By *i4bicplsMan  over a year ago

Darwen

"I start a new job in January. It’s 45 miles each way commute. I have a 03 plate 600 Bandit and a Honda cbf 125. I only passed my test in 2019 so I am a relatively new biker, but did a combined 8500 miles last year on my bikes. I need a dead reliable economical bike for all year round commute. 20 miles motorway and then 25 miles “A” roads . I’m thinking Honda NC 700. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

I used to own a Honda NC700, it never failed me. And great fuel economy. I'd owned it for almost 10yrs."

Even took it touring to Luxembourg, lands end, Wales. Never missed a beat. The onboard storage is very helpful too.

"I seem to remember royal enfield making a diesel bike, I bet that gives you good mileage."

Kawasaki made a diesel version of the KLR650 for the US Army. There was a recently released one for sale on the interwap not too long ago, and the price was stratospheric.

By *ainbow_RoadWoman  over a year ago

Near Leamington Spa

Whatever you chose, make sure its utterly comfortable.

I found commuting on my CBR600 a miserable experience because I was just slightly cramped and because I spent so long on it it just got awful.

I will be getting something more upright next time I need to do a bike commute of more than 20min

By *lutforgirlsWoman  over a year ago

sutton-in-asgfield

Nc750 is a good bike

Honda vfr800fi with handle bar risers if you prefer to be a little more upright.x

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

At over 20000 miles a year you want ultra reliable and low servicing costs

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

And easy on tyres !!!

By *ikersilverfoxMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"Well I think you’re found the answer buy a

That’s what I was thinking, just threw it out there to more experienced bikers in case I was missing something. Thanks. "

That'll be a belting all rounder. Keep the worst of the weather off you too.

By *ondonerMan  over a year ago

London / Essex borders

I used to commute on a bandit 650 then a Kawasaki Z1000, before realising it was a much better weekend bike then commuter in the city...

I fully recommend the NC750 having used it as a commute bike from Essex to West London for several years, and it's a

Go for the 750 over the 700 of you can afford it, and please do try the DCT version for a decent length test ride - don't dismiss it as an automatic - it's got the same type of gearbox as most sports cars now, so nothing like a aCVT or twist and go!

The false fuel tank gives you a full Size helmet space, and the fuel. Economy is easily up in the 70s of you ride it sensibly... That said the sports mode makes commute riding fun, and I have no issues taking it out for a weekend blast and hanging with friends on litre bikes.

I used to commute a similar distance on my xj900f. 135000miles now ad still starting well. Cheap to buy (mines was £550), mid 50'mpg.

Think about maintanance costs. The tyres were 110 for a set, shaft drive, and put an k&n filter on to keep the cost down. Simple bikes but go forever.

By *ikergent50Man  over a year ago

bathgate

Fazer .. either 600 or litre .. bulletproof engines .. cheap to maintain and run and awesome handling

If you can afford 2 bikes get an older separate winter one as the salt will ruin it

By *oneymuncherxxxMan  over a year ago

Wakefield

[Removed by poster at 18/01/23 23:24:48]

Eastbourne

I used to commute in an R6, it was fun to ride on dual carriageways, but 30mph around town soon became a pain in the wrists.

Another thibg to think about with a sports bike, is the turning circle. The R6 was ok, for an artic lorry

By *runkensailor59Man  over a year ago

Bellshill

My main ride is a Suzuki V Strom 650. It would be perfect for a 45 mile commute. It’s frugal on petrol, the upright riding position is comfortable, and it’ll handle the twisty A roads as easily as the motorway. Plus, lots of carrying capacity for work gear.

» Add a new message to this topic