FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > New biker well kind of

New biker well kind of

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi all

I've just done my CBT after wanting to ride for years and always finding excuses not too.

I'm wanting to shoot straight for the DAS and do the mod 1 and 2 ASAP

However the school I used for the CBT said they never let anyone go straight away they prefer to give them lessons first.

Is this a common practice for most schools?

Also recommendations for first bike are greatly appreciated.

I'm located near goole and Selby area

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hi

Congratulations. No not all schools take this approach. A lot depends on the competence of the new rider. I did about 6 months on a 125 before going for my full test. It was the right route for me. I know others who have gone straight to DAS (direct access) for a full licence. Look at reviews for other schools but you want to learn to ride not just pass the test.

I and several others in this forum are big advocates for advanced training once you have your full licence.

Enjoy the journey x

If you mean first bike after you pass your test, something forgiving and second hand. A lot will depend on the seating position you prefer but Suzuki SVs, Yamaha MT07 or MT09. Sit on as many different types as possible x

[Removed by poster at 11/02/23 11:48:07]

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it

Don't forget your theory test as you'll need that before doing MOD1. And check the school is DVSA approved. Sorry the info is piecemeal as I think of things. I'd also find out where the school does their MOD1 training x

By *ilf and old fartCouple  over a year ago

Between Ely and Mildenhall

Congratulations on passing the CBT.

Going onto the DAS is commendable but definitely get more training before going further.

Too many bikers have died due to lack of experience, don't join their ranks. Get training and buy a small, low powered bike to gain the valuable road experience.

Once you decide to move up then consider the Triumph Bonneville. It's got enough power for a new rider and is a good bike

Thanks for the advice, I've booked a few lessons as a type of taster for the bigger bikes

I've decided it's best not to shoot straight for the moon at least get some miles in the saddle first.

By *weetnsour1100Couple  over a year ago

Leeds/York

If you've only done a CBT you'll fail your DAS test (I'm a DAS instructor). There are things the examiner needs to see you do that you won't know without training. As well as the practicality of getting a bike to do the test on a you can't ride it on your own and insurance might be difficult without a licence. You're better off doing a day or two before your test to learn the processes to pass the test. As others have said, advanced training afterwards will save you money and pain; just be careful doing it with a training school.

Passed my CBT at the end of last year, bought a zontes zt125 , advised by my CBT instructor to get experience on a 125 before moving to big bike. Really glad I have, love riding the bike without being too powerful. Bike test in a couple of months

By *D2015Couple  over a year ago

Wokingham

I would recommend lessons and experience 100% and also don’t stop learning once you have your full licence. Loads of organisations to go for, look at IAM, ROSPA etc for advanced qualifications that will also get you discount on insurance. Feel free to message for further info.

» Add a new message to this topic