FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Changing rear tyre

Changing rear tyre

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi, I’ve just ordered a new rear tyre and some tyre levers. I’m going to attempt to change it myself as my local guy wants £30 just to put the tyre on. I do all of my own maintenance with regard to servicing etc so I’m quite handy. I’ve never changed a tyre tho so I’m just wondering if there are any do’s and dont’s or if people think i should leave it to the experts. Cheers.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What bike is it??

Breaking the bead is the hard part, I've used a g clamp in the past.

Once bead is off the rim it's same as any other tyre.

"What bike is it??

Once bead is off the rim it's same as any other tyre."

It’s a thundercat. How do you breakbthe bead without the machine a garage uses? I was planning on laying the wheel flat and standing on it.

By *errysMan  over a year ago

milton keynes and kent

Ive never tried this due to thinking 30 quid is cheapcompared to the time id spend doing it and the cost of any damage i may cause to parts or myself.

"Ive never tried this due to thinking 30 quid is cheapcompared to the time id spend doing it and the cost of any damage i may cause to parts or myself.

"

No me neither, I usually just pay the money but I thought I’d give it a go. Once I’ve done it once I’ll never have to pay again so it’ll be much more than 30 quid I’ll be saving.

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

U tube it .... it may then help you decide whether your confident enough to do it

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

I wouldn't bother . Using levers will mark the rims.

They charge that much if you don't buy the tyres from them.

"I wouldn't bother . Using levers will mark the rims.

They charge that much if you don't buy the tyres from them."

The tyre levers I’ve ordered come with rim protectors so that shouldn’t be an issue. The last guy who fitted one of my tyres chipped a load of paint off the rim, I was fuming with him.

By *K and TKCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

so things to consider when attempting to change your tyres yourself....you will need a bead breaker to initially break the seal on the tyre/rim you will need to do this on both side also..without a bead breaker you will struggle lots....once you have broken the bead you then have got to leaver the tyre off again this is not simple to do by hand initially once you get 1/3 of the tyre over the rim then its becomes easier..again you got to do this on both sides to fully remove the tyre..fitting you new tyre you will need some fitting/sealing compound paste to help the new tyre slide onto the rim and then seal it ..again both sides//lastly you got to inflate it...hope you got a compressor if not it in the car down to the garagae to blow it up your wont seal the new tyre on the rim using a footpump.....still thinking about doing it yourself then you need to go purchase the tools and bits for the job or it will be a nightmare.....either way all the best cant ever knock anyone doing it themselves but somethings are best sorted properly?????

By *K and TKCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

oh and like you I do most of my servicing myself chains sprockets brakes oil changes filter plug etc all reasonable simple if you have the knowledge...I still get my tyre done in a workshop because of the reasons I have said ....and I was given a bead breaker a couple of years ago ...never used it

"oh and like you I do most of my servicing myself chains sprockets brakes oil changes filter plug etc all reasonable simple if you have the knowledge...I still get my tyre done in a workshop because of the reasons I have said ....and I was given a bead breaker a couple of years ago ...never used it"

Cheers. Well I can only give it a go can’t I. If I fail miserably then I’ll just pay the £30 with no harm done. There are ways to break the bead without a specific machine, I’ll give it a go and see how I get on. You don’t learn anything unless you give it a go do you.

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Is the 30 to take the wheel off and fit the new tyre or just put on a new tyre with the wheel of the bike

"Is the 30 to take the wheel off and fit the new tyre or just put on a new tyre with the wheel of the bike "

Yeah to take the wheel off, old tyre off, new one on etc. I know £30 isn’t the end of the world but I like to at least try to do what I can myself. If it’s beyond me I’ll pay the money no problem.

milton keynes and kent

Pay the money its cheaper in the long run.

You asked and you have been wared.

Btw in you are thinking....they used to do it themselves back in the day. Yes they did......then came tubeless tyres.

I hope it all goes well for you.

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

"Is the 30 to take the wheel off and fit the new tyre or just put on a new tyre with the wheel of the bike

Yeah to take the wheel off, old tyre off, new one on etc. I know £30 isn’t the end of the world but I like to at least try to do what I can myself. If it’s beyond me I’ll pay the money no problem. "

If push comes to shove, use washing up liquid as a lube (ooo errr!!) you will need a compressor though. I have done a few tyres myself, the two tough bits are breaking the initial seal and getting the bloody thing to re-seal. Try bouncing the wheel around a bit when you have the tyre on, use loads of soap/lube as it will help it to seal for that fraction of a second that gets the air in there.

another tip.. make sure all your tools are waaaay out of reach so you cant get them to throw through the window when the effing tyre refuses to re-seal

"Pay the money its cheaper in the long run.

You asked and you have been wared.

Btw in you are thinking....they used to do it themselves back in the day. Yes they did......then came tubeless tyres.

I hope it all goes well for you. "

I’m only changing a tyre, I’m not performing brain surgery for the first time. Like I say, if I can’t manage it I’ll just take it in to get done. No harm in giving things a go tho is there. I didn’t know how to tile before I tried, or fit doors, or plumb in a new bathroom suite. There’s a first time for everything isn’t there. There’s a couple of simple tricks on YouTube for breaking the beads, looks simple enough but then they always do don’t they. I can but try.

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Take the wheel of then take it for the tyre change only be about a tenner plus that can balance it for you

"Take the wheel of then take it for the tyre change only be about a tenner plus that can balance it for you "

Yeah that might be a good idea. I’ve bought the tools now tho, shame for them to go to waste eh

Anyone up to the British superbikes?

"Anyone up to the British superbikes?"
go sorry

"Is the 30 to take the wheel off and fit the new tyre or just put on a new tyre with the wheel of the bike

Yeah to take the wheel off, old tyre off, new one on etc. I know £30 isn’t the end of the world but I like to at least try to do what I can myself. If it’s beyond me I’ll pay the money no problem.

If push comes to shove, use washing up liquid as a lube (ooo errr!!) you will need a compressor though. I have done a few tyres myself, the two tough bits are breaking the initial seal and getting the bloody thing to re-seal. Try bouncing the wheel around a bit when you have the tyre on, use loads of soap/lube as it will help it to seal for that fraction of a second that gets the air in there.

another tip.. make sure all your tools are waaaay out of reach so you cant get them to throw through the window when the effing tyre refuses to re-seal "

Haha I’ll be sure to keep them out of reach. I was planning to nip to the garage to pump it up once I’ve got the tyre on tho, I don’t have a compressor at home. I’m starting to think it’s a bad idea now but at least I’ll have given it a go and when I pay my £30 I’ll know the guy is earning it.

Its easy. I do all my tyres. Bit hard to explain but you take the wheel off and lay it flat under the side stand. Then tip the bike over and use the side stand onto the bead of the tyre using the bikes weight breaks the bead. Hope that makes sense

"Its easy. I do all my tyres. Bit hard to explain but you take the wheel off and lay it flat under the side stand. Then tip the bike over and use the side stand onto the bead of the tyre using the bikes weight breaks the bead. Hope that makes sense "

Perfect sense, I’ll give it a go. Cheers

"Its easy. I do all my tyres. Bit hard to explain but you take the wheel off and lay it flat under the side stand. Then tip the bike over and use the side stand onto the bead of the tyre using the bikes weight breaks the bead. Hope that makes sense "

I hope your fella gives you a hand with it tho

Oh and make sure you fit it the right direction.

"Oh and make sure you fit it the right direction."

That has crossed my mind, that’s the kind of daft thing I’d do and then have to do it all again to right it

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

Mark an arrow on the inside of the wheel so you don't forget direction.

It is a fight to change a tyre but very do-able.

Side stand bead breaker great idea.

You will need a compressor and tyre soap for refitting or it will never work. Tyre soap goes around the bead of the new tyre to help it slip on and then seal.

Compressor to seat new tyre correctly. Remove the valve from the wheel or the air will not go in quick enough. Inflate to about 60psi, until the tyre pops into place, you will hear it. Check it is seating properly, there are lines around the bead for this. Deflate, refit valve, inflate and fit.

Been doing it myself for years, only other person touches my bikes is an mot tester. The first one will be a nightmare but it gets easier. A sheet of wood to lay the wheel on will help prevent scratches as will rim protectors.

Have fun.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

You might end up marring the rim with with leavers. Breaking the bead may be a problem if you don't have a wheel stand as you could damage the sprocket or disc.

You need tyre soap to to refit then the wheel and tyre needs balanced.

Take the £30 hit and do it correctly will save you a big head ache in the long run.

"Mark an arrow on the inside of the wheel so you don't forget direction.

It is a fight to change a tyre but very do-able.

Side stand bead breaker great idea.

You will need a compressor and tyre soap for refitting or it will never work. Tyre soap goes around the bead of the new tyre to help it slip on and then seal.

Compressor to seat new tyre correctly. Remove the valve from the wheel or the air will not go in quick enough. Inflate to about 60psi, until the tyre pops into place, you will hear it. Check it is seating properly, there are lines around the bead for this. Deflate, refit valve, inflate and fit.

Been doing it myself for years, only other person touches my bikes is an mot tester. The first one will be a nightmare but it gets easier. A sheet of wood to lay the wheel on will help prevent scratches as will rim protectors.

Have fun. "

All sounds very doable. I’ve got rim protectors coming with the tyre levers and I’ve ordered a valve removal tool too so should be sorted. Cheers

By *itolderguy48Man  over a year ago

Newport

£30 is worth paying so you don't get any problems or damage to the wheel, I've got a Harley sportster, and was happy to pay for a new back tyre change, no hassle!

OMG we're are all the men.had loads of punchers in the last 40 years last one Spain and I've fixed them all.

By *itolderguy48Man  over a year ago

Newport

"OMG we're are all the men.had loads of punchers in the last 40 years last one Spain and I've fixed them all."
no centre stand on my Harley so well worth paying to get tyre changed but I have done it myself on other bikes in the past.

"OMG we're are all the men.had loads of punchers in the last 40 years last one Spain and I've fixed them all."

I’m sorry you were punched in Spain, usually a friendly bunch

"£30 is worth paying so you don't get any problems or damage to the wheel, I've got a Harley sportster, and was happy to pay for a new back tyre change, no hassle!"

I’ll be happy to pay it to if I can’t do it but I prefer to do things myself if I can and i won’t know if I can until I try.

"What bike is it??

It’s a thundercat. How do you breakbthe bead without the machine a garage uses? I was planning on laying the wheel flat and standing on it."

Standing on it won't break the bead. Use ur kick stand and weight of the bike. Remember to do both sides. Careful you don't damage the rear disc too.

If your tyre is a size over I'd suggest taking it to garage otherwise you can do it.

Tip... If tubeless: to seal it when adding air use a compression strap tightened around the circumference of the tyre. This pushes the tyre wall tight enough against the ring to start the seal when being pumped up.

By *uckymooMan  over a year ago

Mid-Cheshire

Do not risk it you must be crazy

Not properly sealed or balanced you’re taking a huge rusk fkr £30

redditch

If you take the wheel off the bike I presume it's on a paddock stand, if you then lean it over to use the side stand to break the bead, surely you risk the bike toppling over !! just a thought.

"If you take the wheel off the bike I presume it's on a paddock stand, if you then lean it over to use the side stand to break the bead, surely you risk the bike toppling over !! just a thought."

Haha of course it will, I didn’t think of that. Obviously I would have as soon as I started to think about it or put it into practice.

"Do not risk it you must be crazy

Not properly sealed or balanced you’re taking a huge rusk fkr £30"

Where’s the risk? I can either do it or I can’t. I’ll know if it’s sealed because the air will stay in it and I’ll hear the loud pop when it happens.

Mid-Cheshire

Where’s the risk? I can either do it or I can’t. I’ll know if it’s sealed because the air will stay in it and I’ll hear the loud pop when it happens. "

Well when you hit a pothole and go pop bang at 70mph think if that £30.

And if you need telling then i’d get your whole bike checked over.

Where’s the risk? I can either do it or I can’t. I’ll know if it’s sealed because the air will stay in it and I’ll hear the loud pop when it happens.

Well when you hit a pothole and go pop bang at 70mph think if that £30.

And if you need telling then i’d get your whole bike checked over."

My bikes just fine thanks. If the tyre isn’t sealed it won’t hold air so I think I’ll know but thanks

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"If you take the wheel off the bike I presume it's on a paddock stand, if you then lean it over to use the side stand to break the bead, surely you risk the bike toppling over !! just a thought.

Haha of course it will, I didn’t think of that. Obviously I would have as soon as I started to think about it or put it into practice. "

Good excuse to buy another bike to add to the collection. A nice big bike to use as as a bead breaker. A good wife would see this as a great addition to ones tool box

"If you take the wheel off the bike I presume it's on a paddock stand, if you then lean it over to use the side stand to break the bead, surely you risk the bike toppling over !! just a thought.

Haha of course it will, I didn’t think of that. Obviously I would have as soon as I started to think about it or put it into practice.

Good excuse to buy another bike to add to the collection. A nice big bike to use as as a bead breaker. A good wife would see this as a great addition to ones tool box "

Good idea, however, the current bike came after the wife departed otherwise there would be no bike.

Durham

Good excuse to buy another bike to add to the collection. A nice big bike to use as as a bead breaker. A good wife would see this as a great addition to ones tool box

Good idea, however, the current bike came after the wife departed otherwise there would be no bike. "

Mrs F has her own bike. My x wife didn't like my bike or me being in the bike scene at all. She had to go.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I've fitted loads of bike tyres, mostly with the correct tools and sometimes with out.

Another factor to how easy or difficult it is is how old the tyre is or how long has it been on that wheel. A newish sports tyre will come off a lot easier than a touring tyre that's been on there for 5 years.

You could check the date code on the sidewall to give you a clue.

"I've fitted loads of bike tyres, mostly with the correct tools and sometimes with out.

Another factor to how easy or difficult it is is how old the tyre is or how long has it been on that wheel. A newish sports tyre will come off a lot easier than a touring tyre that's been on there for 5 years.

You could check the date code on the sidewall to give you a clue. "

I had it put on myself, It’s only been on about 18 months and has done about 3-4000 miles so hopefully won’t be too bad. Like I say I’ve ordered all the right tools, it’s just breaking the bead that will be the tricky part but I’ve seen a couple of tips on YouTube that are simple enough. Cheers.

Rochester

Wheels do not have to be balanced. If you are worried then build yourself a static balancer and do it yourself. All balancing does is helps cure vibration at high speed.

And before any back street diyer starts I am a mechanical engineer, qualified in dynamic balancing and vibration analysis. I know what I am talking about. I fit my own tyres, have done for years. Built my own static balancer which I hardly use coz I dont need to.

If you regularly take the bike on track days though do it to help with high speed cornering but for road use at legal speeds no need.

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

Most of my bikes are that old they've still got tubes

By *hips n FursMan  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Go for it mate,they aren't that hard to change. Once you've done it once they are a piece of piss to change.

Ps....before you change it,burn the fucking thing out. Let it go BANG..one way of breaking the bead.

By *ot meetingMan  over a year ago

down at the bottom of the garden

"Wheels do not have to be balanced. If you are worried then build yourself a static balancer and do it yourself. All balancing does is helps cure vibration at high speed.

And before any back street diyer starts I am a mechanical engineer, qualified in dynamic balancing and vibration analysis. I know what I am talking about. I fit my own tyres, have done for years. Built my own static balancer which I hardly use coz I dont need to.

If you regularly take the bike on track days though do it to help with high speed cornering but for road use at legal speeds no need."

I'm glad I'm not the only one that knows this.

OP go for it.

I used to do all mine before I for rid of my compressor.

If the tyre has been on a long time it can be hard to break the bead. I have slid the wheel under my car and jacked the car up on the bike tyre before to pop it.

If it hasn't been on long I usually get away with using a spade next to the rim and my body weight

If you are fitting part worn tyres they can be a bit of a pain to get seated.

Propper tyre soap makes things a hell of a lot eaiser.

"Wheels do not have to be balanced. If you are worried then build yourself a static balancer and do it yourself. All balancing does is helps cure vibration at high speed.

If you regularly take the bike on track days though do it to help with high speed cornering but for road use at legal speeds no need."

I’ve been told before that they don’t need balancing by a mechanic who works on police bike but I didn’t want to say in fear of being roasted by all the experts on here. Thanks for the advice.

Mid-Cheshire

Why dont you just do it then you sound convinced of your skills and not worried about popping bead or speed vibrations

Just do it.

"Why dont you just do it then you sound convinced of your skills and not worried about popping bead or speed vibrations

Just do it."

Erm, I am doing. I havn’t said I’m not.

Mid-Cheshire

"Why dont you just do it then you sound convinced of your skills and not worried about popping bead or speed vibrations

Just do it.

Erm, I am doing. I havn’t said I’m not. "

Well you’re talking about it but not actually doing it.

Just do it.

"

Because the tyre hasn’t arrived yet and neither have the tools to do it with if that’s quite alright with you. I’ll do it in my own good time thank you very much. Feel free to ignore the thread, other threads are available.

Near Wells

Would be good to know how you got on. It will either take 10 minutes or 2 hours later you might be swearing a lot ??

Durham

Just do it.

Because the tyre hasn’t arrived yet and neither have the tools to do it with if that’s quite alright with you. I’ll do it in my own good time thank you very much. Feel free to ignore the thread, other threads are available."

ooooo Handbags

"Would be good to know how you got on. It will either take 10 minutes or 2 hours later you might be swearing a lot ??"

I’ll let you know when I get round to it, still waiting for the tyre and tools to arrive so it’ll be a few days yet I think. The tyre was last tracked in Aschaffenburg, wherever the hell that is.

Mid-Cheshire

"Would be good to know how you got on. It will either take 10 minutes or 2 hours later you might be swearing a lot ??

I’ll let you know when I get round to it, still waiting for the tyre and tools to arrive so it’ll be a few days yet I think. The tyre was last tracked in Aschaffenburg, wherever the hell that is. "

Its just outside Frankfurt am Main

Pronounced with a silent A

Continental have a factory nearby there

"Would be good to know how you got on. It will either take 10 minutes or 2 hours later you might be swearing a lot ??

I’ll let you know when I get round to it, still waiting for the tyre and tools to arrive so it’ll be a few days yet I think. The tyre was last tracked in Aschaffenburg, wherever the hell that is.

Its just outside Frankfurt am Main

Pronounced with a silent A

Continental have a factory nearby there "

Haha of course it will, I didn’t think of that. Obviously I would have as soon as I started to think about it or put it into practice. "

My bikes have center stands. I'm guessing most sports bikes dont. Mine are adventure /dual purpose bikes. Also someone raised the issue of balancing. This technically only has an effect on the bike over 60mph and not much until 90 plus. In 35 yrs of biking (3 continents, 350,000+ miles) I've never balanced my tyres and repaired/changed many.

The engineering/manufacturing techniques today means it's even less of an issue than decades ago as well.

Four lengths of wood screwed into a square slightly larger than the rear disc, or sprocket if the sprocket carrier doesn't come off easily can make a stand to keep the disc from getting damaged on the ground. Sure you'll have seen something like this on youtube.

Alternatively if you have an old fuel drum three feet tall or so, cut the lid out, fit a rubber strip around the top and you have a stand to put the wheel on while changing the tyre to avoid fighting with it on the ground, saves your back bending over all the time.

Don't loose the spacer between the sprocket carrier and the wheel, many people do then wonder why the wheel won't turn when they refit it and tighten the spindle.

A length of wood on a socket or screwdriver or another piece of wood such as a broom handle used as a lever to lift the wheel as you try to refit the spindle will help, use your knee or foot to operate it, gives you two hands to centralise the wheel without having to lift it at the same time while you put the spindle back through.

Make sure you've got a pad each side of the disc, seen people fit both pads to one side. Put a 5mm chamfer on the edge of the pads with a file to help the disc slide between them.

Just a few little cheap tricks. Have fun.

"Four lengths of wood screwed into a square slightly larger than the rear disc, or sprocket if the sprocket carrier doesn't come off easily can make a stand to keep the disc from getting damaged on the ground. Sure you'll have seen something like this on youtube.

Alternatively if you have an old fuel drum three feet tall or so, cut the lid out, fit a rubber strip around the top and you have a stand to put the wheel on while changing the tyre to avoid fighting with it on the ground, saves your back bending over all the time.

Don't loose the spacer between the sprocket carrier and the wheel, many people do then wonder why the wheel won't turn when they refit it and tighten the spindle.

A length of wood on a socket or screwdriver or another piece of wood such as a broom handle used as a lever to lift the wheel as you try to refit the spindle will help, use your knee or foot to operate it, gives you two hands to centralise the wheel without having to lift it at the same time while you put the spindle back through.

Make sure you've got a pad each side of the disc, seen people fit both pads to one side. Put a 5mm chamfer on the edge of the pads with a file to help the disc slide between them.

Just a few little cheap tricks. Have fun."

My bikes have center stands. I'm guessing most sports bikes dont. Mine are adventure /dual purpose bikes. Also someone raised the issue of balancing. This technically only has an effect on the bike over 60mph and not much until 90 plus. In 35 yrs of biking (3 continents, 350,000+ miles) I've never balanced my tyres and repaired/changed many.

The engineering/manufacturing techniques today means it's even less of an issue than decades ago as well."

Just a side stand on mine so I’ll be raiding it up on paddock stands. I’ll live without the balancing, my last two havn’t been balanced and I havn’t noticed and vibration at all at any speed. Cheers.

The engineering/manufacturing techniques today means it's even less of an issue than decades ago as well.

Just a side stand on mine so I’ll be raiding it up on paddock stands. I’ll live without the balancing, my last two havn’t been balanced and I havn’t noticed and vibration at all at any speed. Cheers."

Heres a simple way to break the seal. Ive done this both for a motorbike and car tyres. If you a mate with a car... hold the wheel up using the kerb it keeps disc and sprocket protected and guide his front wheel over ur tyre avoiding the rim. The back off and turn the tyre 60° and repeat. Turn wheel over and tepeat for other side. Remember to make sure tyre is clean of any dirt/debris inside when refitting.

Mid-Cheshire

Ive seen it done in desperation using a car jack and work bench

Huddersfield

Can't belive all this shit about changing a tyre. Tell ya what,just go on ebay and look up tyre fitting machine. The manual ones will come up...guess what,they have a bead breaker on as well. All this for £50 or less.

On the other hand,if you are using tyre irons like I do,your best friend is a good piece of pipe. Slip over the tyre iron and get lots more leverage.

By *obby476Man  over a year ago

newcastle

30 quid aint a bad price tbf plus the wherl needs balancing. i do a lot of self repair but i wouldnt fuck with my tyres. they keep me off the trees

Mid-Cheshire

"Can't belive all this shit about changing a tyre. Tell ya what,just go on ebay and look up tyre fitting machine. The manual ones will come up...guess what,they have a bead breaker on as well. All this for £50 or less.

On the other hand,if you are using tyre irons like I do,your best friend is a good piece of pipe. Slip over the tyre iron and get lots more leverage."

Yeah you’re right

Well I’ve just got in from work and my tyre and tools have arrived, I’ll give it a go in my days off. I’ve got all the advice I need so thanks and I’ll let you all know how it goes for anybody who cares.

Rochester

Enjoy

How do you tip it over on the sidestand with no rear wheel ???

milton keynes and kent

I care.

I hope and believe you will do it, and all will be fine.

I look forward to the update.

"I care.

I hope and believe you will do it, and all will be fine.

I look forward to the update. "

"Its easy. I do all my tyres. Bit hard to explain but you take the wheel off and lay it flat under the side stand. Then tip the bike over and use the side stand onto the bead of the tyre using the bikes weight breaks the bead. Hope that makes sense

How do you tip it over on the sidestand with no rear wheel ???"

He must have more than the one bike.

We’ll all done, wasn’t too bad after all. I used a length of 3x2 wedged under my decking and put a block under it into the tyre, pulled it down to pop the bead off, quite simple really. All back together now so I suppose I best take it for a spin.

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

Bon chance!!

(by now, you should be at the "sh*t, did I do ALL those nuts back up correctly" stage.....)

I do hope you remembered to pump the back brake a few times to reset the pads before you took off into the wild beyond!

"Bon chance!!

(by now, you should be at the "sh*t, did I do ALL those nuts back up correctly" stage.....)

I do hope you remembered to pump the back brake a few times to reset the pads before you took off into the wild beyond!"

Yeah all pumped and ready to go, I havn’t been out on it yet but I’ve checked and checked again everything is in the right place, not much to go wrong really, the spacers are back where they should be and the wheel spins freely, the chain is adjusted correctly and the breaks have been pumped. All good to go. Another string to my bow.

milton keynes and kent

Well done G

Near Wells

Very well done, it's not always easy the first time.

Rochester

Wohooo.

Did you put the wheel back on the right end?

By *xtrafun4youMan  over a year ago

Dunstable

"What bike is it??

It’s a thundercat. How do you breakbthe bead without the machine a garage uses? I was planning on laying the wheel flat and standing on it."

Good luck breaking the bead. It’s not just about breaking the bead. Balancing/ not fracturing the tyre construction.

If you break the bead one side of the tyre both bit of the rim of the tyre needs to be deep in the v then try and lever other side out.

By *alvenieMan  over a year ago

Bouncing Between Swindon and Weston

Have you fitted the tyre with the heavy side opposite the schrader valve or at least balanced the wheel after fitting the new tyre?

Rochester

"Have you fitted the tyre with the heavy side opposite the schrader valve or at least balanced the wheel after fitting the new tyre? "

Is the position of the heavy side marked on the tyre?

By *alvenieMan  over a year ago

Bouncing Between Swindon and Weston

Usually a red dot on the tyre side wall goes near the valve. It is complicated as the wheel will also have a heavy side too (casting/forging/machining runout) and would have been marked during manufacturing.

Best to get it professionally balanced as an unbalanced wheel can lead to poor handling, vibration and premature failure

Near Wells

"Usually a red dot on the tyre side wall goes near the valve. It is complicated as the wheel will also have a heavy side too (casting/forging/machining runout) and would have been marked during manufacturing.

Best to get it professionally balanced as an unbalanced wheel can lead to poor handling, vibration and premature failure "

I wouldn't worry unless you feel vibration. You wouldn't believe the amount of unbalance wheels I've come across and the rider or owner has never noticed.

redditch

You might not notice but your bearings will !!!!!!

Mid-Cheshire

Wasting your time fella

Bearings, forks, springs, tyres etc all get worn.

I did get it balanced btw, I took it to the guy who mot’s it for me, it’s only around the corner from me. I just took the wheel round before I put it back on the bike and asked him to give it the once over, he deflated it and reinflated it and balanced it for a fiver, he was happy with it so I’m confident to ride on it now. Thanks for all the hints and tips, job done.

In London they charge £70 to change both tyres.. I once had both tyres changed for £30!! I thought that was a deal!

"In London they charge £70 to change both tyres.. I once had both tyres changed for £30!! I thought that was a deal! "

Bargain. The guy who balanced mine said that if I took the wheel off myself and took it to him he’d charge 15 quid to swap the tyre and balance it rather than 30 if I take the whole bike in. I’ll probably do that next time.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"In London they charge £70 to change both tyres.. I once had both tyres changed for £30!! I thought that was a deal!

Bargain. The guy who balanced mine said that if I took the wheel off myself and took it to him he’d charge 15 quid to swap the tyre and balance it rather than 30 if I take the whole bike in. I’ll probably do that next time. "

15 quid to put a tyre on and balance it?

Hell... I had 5 huge chunky All Terrain tyres fitted on Hurricane 18 inch rims (Range Rover)for 50 quid, that included taking the old tyre off, and balancing.

I'm glad I don't live in the city!

"In London they charge £70 to change both tyres.. I once had both tyres changed for £30!! I thought that was a deal!

Bargain. The guy who balanced mine said that if I took the wheel off myself and took it to him he’d charge 15 quid to swap the tyre and balance it rather than 30 if I take the whole bike in. I’ll probably do that next time.

Hell... I had 5 huge chunky All Terrain tyres fitted on Hurricane 18 inch rims (Range Rover)for 50 quid, that included taking the old tyre off, and balancing.

I'm glad I don't live in the city! "

That’s a car, much cheaper and easier to do. Doing a bike is more complicated and time consuming so therefore not expensive. I don’t live in the city.

brecon

That’s a car, much cheaper and easier to do. Doing a bike is more complicated and time consuming so therefore not expensive. I don’t live in the city."

I dunno, I've changed a few bike tyres (scramblers and trail bikes) and it always seemed pretty straightforward, I wouldn't even bother trying to change car tyres myself.

That’s a car, much cheaper and easier to do. Doing a bike is more complicated and time consuming so therefore not expensive. I don’t live in the city.

I dunno, I've changed a few bike tyres (scramblers and trail bikes) and it always seemed pretty straightforward, I wouldn't even bother trying to change car tyres myself. "

I was referring to the process of removing the wheel to change the tyre, it’s not just a case of giving the nuts a blast with an air gun, you have the chain, spacers, axle, sprocket and Cush drives to worry about on a bike, no so with a car.

brecon

I dunno, I've changed a few bike tyres (scramblers and trail bikes) and it always seemed pretty straightforward, I wouldn't even bother trying to change car tyres myself.

I was referring to the process of removing the wheel to change the tyre, it’s not just a case of giving the nuts a blast with an air gun, you have the chain, spacers, axle, sprocket and Cush drives to worry about on a bike, no so with a car. "

Wouldn't know, bikes were pretty basic in my day, plus not being road bikes per-sey meant they were pretty simple to work on too.

Give me an old KX125 to thrash round a dirt track any day of the week.... good times!

Huddersfield

I was referring to the process of removing the wheel to change the tyre, it’s not just a case of giving the nuts a blast with an air gun, you have the chain, spacers, axle, sprocket and Cush drives to worry about on a bike, no so with a car.

Wouldn't know, bikes were pretty basic in my day, plus not being road bikes per-sey meant they were pretty simple to work on too.

Give me an old KX125 to thrash round a dirt track any day of the week.... good times!"

I agree with the good times,my tickle was a Maico 500,awesome bike. Just take it off tick over and up came the front wheel in every gear. I raced that bike for three seasons without the engine skipping a beat.

» Add a new message to this topic