FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Anybody else ?

Anybody else ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icksfocus OP   Man  over a year ago

Pontefract

Hate working on bikes?

Love the social aspect, the riding, even cleaning but I can’t stand working on them

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Hate working on bikes?

Love the social aspect, the riding, even cleaning but I can’t stand working on them "

Yes, yes and bloody yes I agree !

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

Its what I do... I am fully qualified and have a very large collection of hammers and rolls of duck tape, if I'm really on the case, I can even use zip-ties and........

superglue

Pontefract

"Its what I do... I am fully qualified and have a very large collection of hammers and rolls of duck tape, if I'm really on the case, I can even use zip-ties and........

superglue "

Pmsl shame you are so far away. I have to trade my skills or hard cash to get things done to my bikes

By *sh6866Man  over a year ago

halifax

Dont mind working on them, after all i built both mine from basket cases. Just finding time and motivation nowadays.

Used to work on TZ and RG race bikes they were OK. Classic bikes OK. But modern ones are a nightmare. Hope my Guzzi never needs anything doing

By *unglebook40Man  over a year ago

hull

"Hate working on bikes?

Love the social aspect, the riding, even cleaning but I can’t stand working on them "

No i just about strip in rebuild every bike I get, seen some proper shonky repairs

I don't mind doing the basics on my jap bikes. But the Ducati I worked on for a few rounds this year was a right pain

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

Nothing better

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

I don't like anyone working on my bikes ! If you have the right tools for the job it's easy.

I've been an engineer all my life and every workshop has a Wurzel, and I wouldn't want them touching my pride and joy.

By *andDeeCouple  over a year ago

Ashford

Personally I find it very therapeutic when in the mood for spannering. Unfortunately I don’t have a large heated workshop, but then again maybe that’s not such a bad thing as the wife would be at risk of becoming a garage widow.

Do think it is part of the love of bikes that also gives you more of a personal connection with that that could kill you if you don’t inspect your bike and do repairs before they become dangerous.

Saves a lot of money in labour charges too.

I also do what I can do on our cars, some times I enjoy it, other times it’s a task as a car to me is not done with as much love, but still done right, taking more time than a garage would that does only the job, not the cleaning and other little jobs that you wouldn’t want to paying a bigger bill for.

"I don't mind doing the basics on my jap bikes. But the Ducati I worked on for a few rounds this year was a right pain "

Raced a lot of classic Ducatis, never found them much of a problem once you understood how to shim the desmo valves.... however, my 996S you need a degree in plumbing and electronics before you can actually reach the sodding engine!!

Bit like modern cars - plug em in and rely on a computer to tell you where the problem is.... not sure a computer can tell you when a bearing is starting to go though....

I was only doing basics on the Ducati, it was a 959 panigale, things like an oil change need you to take the exhausts off. Bolts at silly angles that you can't get to.. was just annoying.

Love working on Classics, cars or bikes, but the new ones are not for me, one of the reasons I got out of the motor trade after over 30 years in it

Pontefract

"Love working on Classics, cars or bikes, but the new ones are not for me, one of the reasons I got out of the motor trade after over 30 years in it"

What you like with a very modified, far from standard 1989 Rd350ypvs

"Love working on Classics, cars or bikes, but the new ones are not for me, one of the reasons I got out of the motor trade after over 30 years in it

What you like with a very modified, far from standard 1989 Rd350ypvs "

Used to prep TZ 250. 350 and 700s

By *sh6866Man  over a year ago

halifax

Hoping to get my RD250c going again soon

Got my own workshop and believe me 04 onwards blade changing just the plugs about 6 hrs lol £120 for the plugs aswell lol

By *ouble_The_DelightCouple  over a year ago

Wakefield

I am lucky as my partner S does all the work on mine.

k

I seriously think that with both bikes and cars, the manufacturers are trying their damnedest to stop all forms of home mechanics. They can make more money that way forcing you to a dealership!

The modern mechanic (IMHO) is more of a component changer than anything else. If the computer doesn't tell them the answer they look a bit confused as to want happens now!!

Used to be a mechanic in our local Land Rover Garage (*sigh*, yeah got an old one of them too!) I was getting a 'rumbling' somewhere on the drive. He drove the car with the windows down, listening and said "yep, bearing going on the drive shaft"

He left unfortunately, new bloke couldn't even spot the fan belt starting to split - cause the sodding computer didnt tell him!

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

Won't let anyone touch any of my bikes. The mot tester gets to look once a year and that is it. Mechanical engineer by trade and have seen some shocking repairs done by people. If the wheels fall off doing a ton I want it to be my fault.

» Add a new message to this topic