What helmets are we using?

I’ve had AGV for the last 9 years, but just before Christmas I bought an Arai

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *itolderguy48Man  over a year ago

Newport

Bell open face (Harley Davidson) ok for summer riding

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hi i got a harley and after a new helmet. Ive looked at bells in harley shops. Bit i been lookong at hjc fg 70 s. And they have a built in visor that pulls down. Any views on them

By *itolderguy48Man  over a year ago

Newport

"Hi i got a harley and after a new helmet. Ive looked at bells in harley shops. Bit i been lookong at hjc fg 70 s. And they have a built in visor that pulls down. Any views on them "
hi, I use shatterproof sunglasses and a clear pair when no sun, not sure what the pull down visor would be like after a few months of use, scratching etc.

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

Bandit Alien 2. Full carbon. It goes with the bike ....

By *uckaroo BanzaiCouple  over a year ago

Somewhere nice

HJC Rpha90 flip which is great for touring in the heat & the missus has the 70..

Himself has more helmets than I have shoes. Didn’t think it was possible!! I’ve got an old Shoei Raid II. It fits my head. I love it and not looking forward to trying to find a replacement :/(.

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

"Hi i got a harley and after a new helmet. Ive looked at bells in harley shops. Bit i been lookong at hjc fg 70 s. And they have a built in visor that pulls down. Any views on them "

If I remember correctly, HJC is a Korean make, strangely enough, they also make some helmets for H-D (obviously under the H-D banner)

The IPS unit is a bit hard for my liking but check out the SHARP website and it will give you an unbias rating. Its a bit like the ENCAP rating system for cars.

Arai RX7 love it fits great but noisey

me shoei nxr and her.

hers been a marquez rep

By *appychappy13Man  over a year ago

Addlestone

I just got myself a shoei gt air it's a awesome lid

By *rsmiley69Man  over a year ago

Cavan Monaghan

Had arai for years but they got to expensive over here so switched to a hjc rpha st lovely looking but hated it from day one, just didn’t suit my head shape, switched to agv k5 drop down visor an absolutely love it, very similar to arai

By *icksfocus OP   Man  over a year ago

Pontefract

"Had arai for years but they got to expensive over here so switched to a hjc rpha st lovely looking but hated it from day one, just didn’t suit my head shape, switched to agv k5 drop down visor an absolutely love it, very similar to arai"

AGV k3 is helmet I’ve just retired. The drop down sunglasses were the first thing I took out of it

By *rezMan  over a year ago

Mungret

Shoei NXR I find it very comfy and it is quite light. Bit over prized as well. LS2 seem to be good choice...value for money.

By *ornwallkink2017Couple  over a year ago

Cornwall

"Himself has more helmets than I have shoes. Didn’t think it was possible!! I’ve got an old Shoei Raid II. It fits my head. I love it and not looking forward to trying to find a replacement :/(. "

Go for the Shoei GT Air... best kid I ever had and I loved my Raid too!!

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

What rating has your helmet been given?

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I use a Caberg Duke and I am very happy with it.

Pontefract

"What rating has your helmet been given?

I use a Caberg Duke and I am very happy with it. "

My arai axces 3 helmet isn’t on there

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

My arai axces 3 helmet isn’t on there "

I do believe some of the newer released helmets may not be on there.

Or it could be that they have not run test on that particular helmet yet.

Old Simpson bandit.... hardcore lol and just got Roof boxer

By *edonistsatplayCouple  over a year ago

Portsmouth, North Brittany, France

My arai axces 3 helmet isn’t on there

I do believe some of the newer released helmets may not be on there.

Or it could be that they have not run test on that particular helmet yet. "

They are unfortunately a good few months behind the introduction of new models and there has been a lot of new names appearing (mainly from China).

I can tell you that they get the helmets direct from dealerships so no manufacturer can errr.. *ahem* amend the spec of the helmet before testing. Remember that unlike EC22-05 the SHARP test is not an actual 'Standard' but a supposed real event test of security.

Most folk forget that the EC22-05 is actually the minimum standard that the helmet must achieve before it's allowed to be retailed. The margin by which any particular helmet exceeds that margin can make a hell of a difference when push comes to shove!

Somewhere nice

"Had arai for years but they got to expensive over here so switched to a hjc rpha st lovely looking but hated it from day one, just didn’t suit my head shape, switched to agv k5 drop down visor an absolutely love it, very similar to arai

AGV k3 is helmet I’ve just retired. The drop down sunglasses were the first thing I took out of it "

I couldnt do without a drop down sun visor now.. They are almost a safety feature..

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

i've got a purple helmet its abit old but always willing to have it scrutineered

By *andK78Couple  over a year ago

Newport

My head doesn't fit an Arai.

Treated myself to an X-lite 802rr Carbon Fiber last year. Stunning and light, my best yet.

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

X-lite 551. Peak and internal visor work well. Bit noisy but pop in some earplugs and it’s quiet.

By *iker197Man  over a year ago

Hinckley

Just treated myself to a shuberth e1 after trashing my trusty old Arai in a spill.... first impressions, it's bloody quiet

No love for MT helmets? Cheap, stylish and always do great on the SHARP test.

I've got a MT Thunder3

By *ainbow_RoadWoman  over a year ago

Near Leamington Spa

Main lid is a Nolan N87 in a colour they don't sell in the UK, it had to come over from Italy

I've a couple of LS2 lids too, from earlier in my riding career, cheap, cheerful and seem to deal with crashes OK (obvs the crashed one got binned)

By *izeMan  over a year ago

Maghull

Shark Spartan carbon full face

Nolan n44 modular

Got no complains for either of them.

By *sh6866Man  over a year ago

halifax

Me n daughter got viper flip front with bluetooth built in. Its ok, not keen on sun visor but my god it's noisy.

"Me n daughter got viper flip front with bluetooth built in. Its ok, not keen on sun visor but my god it's noisy."

What is? helmet or daughter?

Last 3 helmets have been arai before that a shoei and before that a bieffe. Got my latest arai in Australia while on holiday and it was considerably cheaper than in the UK. The guy in the shop gave me a load of arai freebies too!

Somewhere nice

"Last 3 helmets have been arai before that a shoei and before that a bieffe. Got my latest arai in Australia while on holiday and it was considerably cheaper than in the UK. The guy in the shop gave me a load of arai freebies too! "

My first helmet was a Bieffe! It's still my dad's garage!

By *sh6866Man  over a year ago

halifax

"Me n daughter got viper flip front with bluetooth built in. Its ok, not keen on sun visor but my god it's noisy.

What is? helmet or daughter? "

Depends how fast i go!

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

W have a caberg Duke flip front each and a cool looking Shark Drak Dogtag each for our Bobbers. Both great lids

By *illo0069Man  over a year ago

litherland

AGV Rossi rep great fit lo9ks awesome

"Last 3 helmets have been arai before that a shoei and before that a bieffe. Got my latest arai in Australia while on holiday and it was considerably cheaper than in the UK. The guy in the shop gave me a load of arai freebies too!

My first helmet was a Bieffe! It's still my dad's garage! "

they were the dogs! Mine was dayglo orange with a honeycomb pattern.

By *ussoMan  over a year ago

Truro

Recently got a Bell SRT, great helmet for the price, got it while it was in a sale.

Use to like AGV but far too garish designs now.

Arai for the last 30 or so years I won't wear anything else

X-lite X803...love it so comfy and lite

By *uckcherryCouple  over a year ago

hull

Agv k5 for decent rides out, an agv k3 for work, Mrs has a flip front so she can get her glasses on easier..

By *lyn2000Man  over a year ago

london

I was looking at getting a caberg tourmax

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

I'm on my third Schuberth C3 Pro. I don't think I'll ever own a non-flip helmet again, or one without the inner sun shade. I tried on a C4 and found it uncomfortable. I also tried a Shoei Neotec 2 and it felt great. I would have bought one but came across a C3 for £190 and couldn't pass it up.

By *oo7kingMan  over a year ago

wing

Aria tour x4 is my first choice helmet, also have a guy Martin AGV k4. Caberg flip. Aria is my favourite tho

Got an hjc flip which I use mostly and two sharks one with goggles the other a evoline which I use on dry runs

I have a Shoei gt-air it’s a good helmet but a bit heavy. Also have a cheap hjc thing.

Thinking of buying a x-lite x-803 they are full carbon and very light. Seem to fit ok too.

I was going to buy a shoei nxr but the fit isn’t right which I was surprised at as the gt-air is very comfortable

By *ainbow_RoadWoman  over a year ago

Near Leamington Spa

I'm a Nolan N87 gal

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

bought a cheap flip front helmet from lidl's threw the helmet away still wearing the box it's comfier and quieter

"I have a Shoei gt-air it’s a good helmet but a bit heavy. Also have a cheap hjc thing.

Thinking of buying a x-lite x-803 they are full carbon and very light. Seem to fit ok too.

I was going to buy a shoei nxr but the fit isn’t right which I was surprised at as the gt-air is very comfortable "

So I got a good deal on the x-lite it is very light and comfy but a bit drafty, don’t think I’ll be wearing it a lot in the winter

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

Helmets... A real minefield and so many personal viewpoints and odd comparisons sometimes everything gets very confusing.

First of all, Full face or Open face?

Would you ride in flip flops? No... Then why ride in an open face helmet? I was unlucky enough to have seen the results of a rider hitting the deck face first in an open face helmet. I for one will never wear one.

Check out the "sharp.dft.gov.uk" website. Some of the impact test results on expensive top end crash helmets versus some of the cheaper brands will surprise you, if you think a £500 plus helmet gives the best protection money can buy you might be mistaken.

You don't always get what you pay for.

Pontefract

"Main lid is a Nolan N87 in a colour they don't sell in the UK, it had to come over from Italy

I've a couple of LS2 lids too, from earlier in my riding career, cheap, cheerful and seem to deal with crashes OK (obvs the crashed one got binned)"

Why bin them? A helmet that has been in a crash make awesome hanging baskets. That’s the fate of my 3 month old arai since I crashed at cadwell last Friday

By *rueblue2Couple  over a year ago

newcastle

The pull down visor is only to be used behind your visor as they aren’t shatter proof also when you try the helmet on make sure the inner visor covers all of your eyes as some aren’t deep enough and you get it only half way

Had Arai for the last few years but I've got fed up with the over complicated visor mechanisms.

The sound of creaking and straining plastic upon the removal and attatching of the visor is a bit naff.

So as I'm nearly fifty i bought a modular lid for the first time last year.

It's a Shoei and though not as comfortable as the Arai it feels much better quality.

By *ableboyMan  over a year ago

Stockton

Arai all the way. Great after sales support.

I used to have a Harley and used an FG70S

Rode all the way to Barcelona last year and it was super comfortable

No longer have the Harley or the helmet

Shark D Skwal now

"Helmets... A real minefield and so many personal viewpoints and odd comparisons sometimes everything gets very confusing.

First of all, Full face or Open face?

Would you ride in flip flops? No... Then why ride in an open face helmet? I was unlucky enough to have seen the results of a rider hitting the deck face first in an open face helmet. I for one will never wear one.

Check out the "sharp.dft.gov.uk" website. Some of the impact test results on expensive top end crash helmets versus some of the cheaper brands will surprise you, if you think a £500 plus helmet gives the best protection money can buy you might be mistaken.

You don't always get what you pay for.

"

Well said fella

Grex, cheap and cheerful but ok.

I’ve got 2 LS2 helmets and they’re the only ones I’ve found that are comfy enough and fit well that aren’t outrageously priced, they’ve also outperformed a lot of the high end kids on the crash tests which for a newbie is probably needed lol I’ve also got some kids wulfsports crosser helmets that my daughter couldn’t get her head into yet fit me fine lol

I have tried a few different makes. Started with a agv k3, then an hjc arpha 10+ then my first arai, i must say once I put on an aria helmet I wouldn't buy another make again. They sit perfectly on my head and do not move in the wind. I currently ride in a arai rx7, I'm not one of those people who buy the most expensive and think it's the best. It's all about fit for me. My rpha 10 used to lift off my head at speed. I must just have a arai shaped head. lol.

By *nitladMan  over a year ago

D9

I use a arai chaser v very comfy great fit is a bit noisey but ear plugs do the trick

Arai viper gt haslam rep user at the mo, I've just re pasted my test after a good few years away. Tried on the arai chaser x so think that is my next lid.

My arai chaser v might be for sale. Davide juigliano colours. Size medium. Mint condition. Only worn 1 summer.

By *ifunlover69Man  over a year ago

Exeter

Love my Schuberth flip front. Wear glasses and would never go back to a full face. Must admit to wearing a vintage pudding basin on the 1928 bike sometimes.

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

I have a flip front LS2 ,seems better build quality than the standard , better padded and fit ,but draughty ,doesnt seal to well woth front down, , im just buying an aftermarket orange visor for it as the integral shade is a little too dark for my liking, love suomy helmets too comfort noise reduction, colours , .

By *vanabeusedTV/TS  over a year ago

somewhere

What fits you best is best for you x

Don't usually wear one , unless it's raining, or motorway miles...

Trike rider tho...

» Add a new message to this topic