FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Test woe!

Test woe!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orWullie OP   Man  over a year ago

Dunoon

Just found out my instructor quit. Unfortunately my mod 2 test is booked for Monday, I had planned for a lesson before it but now they can still let me use their bike but as they don't have an instructor qualified for big bikes I can't do the lesson. And since I only found out today, I can't reschedule without losing my test fee.

Pretty pissed that they waited til today to let me know, but hopefully I'll pass without a brush up lesson beforehand! Fingers crossed!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

good luck

By *ugyukMan  over a year ago

EDINBURGH

getsomeone from the school to take the big bike to the test centre for you so its there on monday for the test

and organise a 125 lesson on the monday just to go over the route and get you into "bike mode"

eveything is posiible and good luck

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Good luck on the test

Dunoon

Thanks all, think I'll take my 125 down instead of going in the car just to help get into bike mode. This is my 2nd attempt, failed the first try for forgetting to cancel my indicator, which is annoying but at least its a fairly minor thing and should be easy enough to correct!

2nd time lucky I'm sure...

"Thanks all, think I'll take my 125 down instead of going in the car just to help get into bike mode. This is my 2nd attempt, failed the first try for forgetting to cancel my indicator, which is annoying but at least its a fairly minor thing and should be easy enough to correct

2nd time lucky I'm sure... "

If the alternative is to lose your money then I'd have gone with this option, too. (She who passed 2 years ago rather than prior to mods 1 and 2 like him). If you were saying you'd failed for lack of rear observation eg shoulder checks I'd be much more worried. Good luck and let us know how you get on x

Dunoon

Will do thanks. Yeah, wish I'd sat it years ago before mod 1 and 2, so much simpler when it was a case of riding a 125 and if you don't kill yourself for 2 years you get your full licence!

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

"Will do thanks. Yeah, wish I'd sat it years ago before mod 1 and 2, so much simpler when it was a case of riding a 125 and if you don't kill yourself for 2 years you get your full licence! "
. Don’t know where you got that information from. Since the mid 80’s it’s always been a two part test to get full licence

Tests were much easier back when I was 17. So glad I done it back then. Turn up for star rider every week then have a test where a guy stood on one side of a block that you rode round. Don't appear round the corner too quickly and don't do anything dumb as you pass the examiner and 'congratulations you've passed'

Then spend the next few years really learning how to ride

Dunoon

" Don’t know where you got that information from. Since the mid 80’s it’s always been a two part test to get full licence "

I know a few, my instructor and the post above as well as others, who passed on 125s. Admittedly I did not realise it was as far back as the mid 80s it changed. My next door neighbour passed on a 125 just 10 or 12 years ago, in Inveraray where there are no traffic lights or roundabouts and I'm sure he didn't have to do mod 1 and 2, though I could be wrong.

Wish I had done mine when I started riding at age 16 but we live and learn!

Good luck xx

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

Good advice from above there, if you cant organise a lesson beforehand at least try and take a trip round the test route , and its variables , look at the time and work out whether your facing school opening , school run, give yourself plenty of time , stay positive , your taking the test anyway , male sure your bike is going to be there , and your in plenty of time to acquaint yourself with it before the examiner gets there. You know all this of course otherwise you wouldnt have been encouraged to apply for the test , make sure you treat the examiner like everyone else , ie, like someone your showing how to ride a motorcycle well under any conditions , give them your best , go on , overcome the obstacle and pass , ! Best wishes x

Dunoon

All good advice. The problem with staying somewhere as beautiful as I do is its in the middle of nowhere, the test centre is 2 hours away so I probably won't have time to pre ride much of the routes. Its also why I've avoided taking the bike down until now, a 2hr ride there followed by 5hrs on the big bike and another 2 hours home seemed a bit much, especially in February and March when the weather isn't the greatest! Forecast for tomorrow looks decent and the test is 11.10 as opposed to 9am for the lessons so no reason not to take my 125 down though.

Maybe knowing the instructor quit will make the examiner a bit more lenient too! I think the instructor/school could have been a bit more upfront rather than telling me at such short notice, but I'm trying to stay positive. The examiner seems like a decent bloke, and ultimately he's a biker so will want to see bikers on the road, not look for excuses to fail people. Just need to make sure I don't do anything daft and it'll be all good!

Dunoon

Well, don't want to spoil the surprise but does anyone want to buy a set of L plates?!!

A couple of minor faults, one for stopping at an Amber light, (which I'd have gone through if I had thought the examiner would make it too!) and one cos I missed the national limit sign so was sat at 50 in the 60 zone. Still, better a minor for too slow than a major for too fast!

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. Now the difficult part, choosing a bike!

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Well, don't want to spoil the surprise but does anyone want to buy a set of L plates?!!

A couple of minor faults, one for stopping at an Amber light, (which I'd have gone through if I had thought the examiner would make it too!) and one cos I missed the national limit sign so was sat at 50 in the 60 zone. Still, better a minor for too slow than a major for too fast!

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement. Now the difficult part, choosing a bike! "

Well done, congrads. Yes a bike. You will now get several posts on whats best. You must have a bike in mind. All I can say is get that bike and if it turns out great for you, happy days. If you end up not liking it, its out of your system.

Best advice is now you have passed, look at Advanced training from IAM. We have done it and can say its the best thing we have done since taking up biking. Learns you great road positioning. The Road craft you learn is exactly the same as Police Standards, invaluable

Well done on passing

I'm saving up for mine ATM

Untill then I'm stuck on a 125

Makes me wish I had done my bike test years ago

By *ugyukMan  over a year ago

EDINBURGH

Congrats on the pass

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

Any instructor to be any worth as an instructor surely has to have all parts of the license! I find it incredible that this is allowed! How can they give any knowledge re biking when they only know small bikes. It’s a joke.

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

Oh, but very well done on your pass!! Sorry, forgot to say!!!

Congratulations

Well done, you! We'd agree with F and B regarding advanced training too. In addition, there's ROSPA or you could do BifeSafe with the police for a day as a precursor.

Enjoy bike shopping in the meantime x

By *uckcherryCouple  over a year ago

hull

Congratulations on passing, take your time choosing your first big bike though, and don't choose something expensive, you will at the very least drop it!!!!

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Well done, you! We'd agree with F and B regarding advanced training too. In addition, there's ROSPA or you could do BifeSafe with the police for a day as a precursor.

Enjoy bike shopping in the meantime x"

Some forces if you do Bike Safe, you might get a discount for IAM training.

Be carful going doon Ferry Brae !!!!!

By *ouble_The_DelightCouple  over a year ago

Wakefield

We are both bikers, congratulations.

By *appychappy13Man  over a year ago

Addlestone

Well done on passing