FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > First big bike?!

First big bike?!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orWullie OP   Man  over a year ago

Dunoon

Hi all, after passing my test last week I am desperate to get a big bike. I have looked at a Honda hornet 600. I have been offered it for £150 plus my 125 traded in against it. I have also been offered a non runner suzuki bandit 1250 for free, which is my favourite price! And finally, a Honda vfr 750 for £900,though I would need to sell the 125 privately first to afford that. So, as a first big bike (though I have ridden the Honda cbf600 for my lessons and tests) what do you all recommend?

The bandit looks nice, I believe it is a carb issue that needs looked at and then get it mot'd, but it seems like a lot of bike for a first big one, I know peak power is similar to the hornet but it's got way more torque and is much heavier.

The hornet will come with a year's mot, clean bike with 29000 miles (02 plate) and I'm told they are pretty tame as long as they are kept under 7000rpm, but fun/hooligan bikes if you want them to be when you get closer to the red line.

The vfr I don't know mileage or how long the mot is but knowing the current owner it will be well kept. He's a mechanic, probably a bit OCD and it looks immaculate from the pictures he's sent me.

Or will you all suggest the standard sv650, er6f etc? Sorry for the long and rambling post!

Thanks for any input!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Bandits are a good starter bike, my mates just brought a CB500. That thing is good fun when you develop some bollocks after a few hours of cautious riding. Cheap as chips too!

Whatever it is you get, ride safe bro and have some fun

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

The Bandit is free, that's a no brainer. Also what you can afford too. Bandit 1250 and carb problems?? are they not injection

Had a sv650s excellent bike great fun easy to ride plenty enough power also sound great been a V twin would make a great first bike in my opinion.

Bandit is a no brainer for me. If its a pre injection, then a bit of time or someone to clean the carbs is a cheap price to pay for a great all round bike...

Bandits are great.. But then I'm biased... ??

But all that you gave mentioned should give you a great time of well maintained and looked after...

I'd check the insurance costs for each as well. Unless you know the cost to fix / get the freebie running do you want a project, unknown costs and not being able to ride straight away? Another consideration is servicing intervals/costs unless you can do it yourself.

I (her) bought a gladius after my test about 2 years ago because I knew what to expect from it as much as anything else. It's also proved relatively bullet proof

I'd also suggest at least sitting on them if you can't test ride.

Whichever you pick have fun x

[Removed by poster at 14/04/19 16:07:15]

"I'd check the insurance costs for each as well. Unless you know the cost to fix / get the freebie running do you want a project, unknown costs and not being able to ride straight away? Another consideration is servicing intervals/costs unless you can do it yourself.

I (her) bought a gladius after my test about 2 years ago because I knew what to expect from it as much as anything else. It's also proved relatively bullet proof

I'd also suggest at least sitting on them if you can't test ride.

Whichever you pick have fun x

"

This is great advice..

Dunoon

I'm tempted most towards the hornet, partly on looks, partly on all rounder ability and partly because it should be mot'd and ready to ride this week!

I'll probably double check the bandit, I know very little about it yet other than he's told me it is a 1250 with a carb issue, if it really is injected I would not know where to start but can probably find someone to help! Since it's free and there is space at work I could store it seems daft not to!

"I'm tempted most towards the hornet, partly on looks, partly on all rounder ability and partly because it should be mot'd and ready to ride this week!

I'll probably double check the bandit, I know very little about it yet other than he's told me it is a 1250 with a carb issue, if it really is injected I would not know where to start but can probably find someone to help! Since it's free and there is space at work I could store it seems daft not to! "

If it's 2007 or later bike it will be a 1250 with fuel injection... Pre 2007 will be a 1200 and carbs..

Dunoon

"

If it's 2007 or later bike it will be a 1250 with fuel injection... Pre 2007 will be a 1200 and carbs.. "

Out of curiosity, which do you have? Do you think they are OK as a first big bike? I'm well aware that any bike can be deadly, it's up to the rider to control it and so on. At 37 I think I'm sensible enough to not go silly, but I'm also well aware that it's a much bigger, heavier and more powerful/torquey machine than I've ever been on!

"

If it's 2007 or later bike it will be a 1250 with fuel injection... Pre 2007 will be a 1200 and carbs..

Out of curiosity, which do you have? Do you think they are OK as a first big bike? I'm well aware that any bike can be deadly, it's up to the rider to control it and so on. At 37 I think I'm sensible enough to not go silly, but I'm also well aware that it's a much bigger, heavier and more powerful/torquey machine than I've ever been on!"

A 1250 may be a bit big for first bike... Insurance will be more too... Try a Bandit 600 or sv650, so thing around 600cc..or a fazer 600, depends on the kind of bikes to like too..

Dunoon

OK cheers, I think I'll go for the hornet 600 and if I can get the bandit running I'll play about on the private roads at work to get used to it then maybe get it tested and insured next year?

"OK cheers, I think I'll go for the hornet 600 and if I can get the bandit running I'll play about on the private roads at work to get used to it then maybe get it tested and insured next year? "

Without wishing to nag or harp on about it (yes, her again), look into some advanced training. DAS training gets you through the tests but unless you're complete natural it should make you a safer and smoother rider.

Dunoon

Yeah, I have thought about advanced training. I think I'll get a bike first, get comfortable/confident on it then look at advanced training though.

Durham

"Yeah, I have thought about advanced training. I think I'll get a bike first, get comfortable/confident on it then look at advanced training though. "

Would recommend Advanced training asap. We did it and its invaluable. Learning the road craft from the off will make it more natural to you rather than you getting comfortable with the way DAS training has brought you to test standard. Learning to ride like the Police, IE road positioning, will give you so much more confidence. Cheap insurance is also a bonus. Take a look at IAM Road safe web site

Dunoon

Will do, also just downloaded Roadcraft, the police rider training manual. Obviously it's not the same as real instruction but it is useful, worth a read.

Durham

"Will do, also just downloaded Roadcraft, the police rider training manual. Obviously it's not the same as real instruction but it is useful, worth a read. "

Its the book I worked from when I used to do advanced training. Worth it's weight in gold. Read it, take it in and practice when you get your bike. A great start

» Add a new message to this topic