FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Electric motorcycles

Electric motorcycles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *udith55 OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

A couple of years ago I tried and quite liked a Zero electric motorcycle. With the Governments declared aim of 0% carbon emissions by 2050, how do others feel about riding electric bikes?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm torn, I'll be honest. I like the idea in some ways but, silent and bikes? I'm not quite convinced.

Noise on bikes I think is a safety thing so it will be interesting to see stats and find out if that's just us bikers having unfair prejudices or if it's real.

Errrmmm... . .no.

Love the noise my Blade makes.

By *ikerswingCouple  over a year ago

mcr

ageee with the above noise is a life saver on a bike.but ive ridden the e bikes at moto e off road and have to saythere a lot of fun soooo torquey and quick

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Apparently Harley Davidson are fitting a computerised noise making source, with 100s of motorbike engine notes to chose from on their new electric motorcycle.

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

I'm interested in theory but in reality the infrastructure needs improvement (more charging stations) and the technology in batteries and chargers still needs work - who wants to wait a couple of hours to charge every 100 miles? And ultimately, I expect it'll be a few years before I'm in a position to buy one anyway. I haven't seen any on the second hand market yet!

"Apparently Harley Davidson are fitting a computerised noise making source, with 100s of motorbike engine notes to chose from on their new electric motorcycle. "

Will it just be a tinny poor excuse for a real exhaust note though? And won't it just drain the battery even quicker?

Birmingham

Riding the Zero was strange 70mph on a silent bike, overtaking on A roads was easy but car drivers didn't see me until I passed them.

I think when it gets to that stage I’ll give up riding

As other people have said it’s the noise that makes it and makes cars aware of your presence

Time to buy a people carrier as my life will be over

"I think when it gets to that stage I’ll give up riding

As other people have said it’s the noise that makes it and makes cars aware of your presence

Time to buy a people carrier as my life will be over "

Think I'm with you on this.

Or as they used to say, "Life over?....get a Rover"!!!

By *unglebook40Man  over a year ago

hull

"A couple of years ago I tried and quite liked a Zero electric motorcycle. With the Governments declared aim of 0% carbon emissions by 2050, how do others feel about riding electric bikes? "

They're really going to have to think about that statement, even electric vehicles are far from carbon zero... Anyhow I reckon I'll be dead by then lol

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

My local dealer in Edinburgh has some demo bikes coming soon.

It is inevitable, and I'll miss the different characteristics that different configurations of combustion engines have.

I do agree about the lack of sound. I can't afford to hire a Trombone player as pillion every time I'm out!

By *iltshiregentMan  over a year ago

Calne

I've ridden a few, including a Zero.

What you lose in top speed you gain in brutal acceleration. I prefer the 'milk float' motor hum to an engine myself, but my views on motorcycling often go against the herd.

By *sh6866Man  over a year ago

halifax

Apparently the fastest production bike is electric...can't remember what make it is though...

"Apparently the fastest production bike is electric...can't remember what make it is though..."

That may be, but only for about 10 miles lol

The big issue with electric is the range

No more touring across big chunks of Europe in a day as you’ll spend hours waiting for the damn thing to charge

Birmingham

Does the sound that a bike makes really alert a car driver to your presence? Police cars are almost silent until you spot the flashing lights, the siren is only noticeable at 20 yards.

I always assume that a car driver is blind and deaf and don't rely on my exhaust to alert him/her to my presence.

"I think when it gets to that stage I’ll give up riding

Time to buy a people carrier as my life will be over "

Excuse me nowt wrong with a people carrier

And tbh being an engineer I hate the idea of electric, plus try getting rid of electrical components like batteries really great for the environment !!! Not

I believe the sound does help awareness. I have two bikes. One totally standard quiet exhaust and the other a bit noisy....

When I come up behind cars far more pull over to the left to give room to pass when I'm on the noisy one than ever do on the quiet one. Can only mean they are more aware of the noisy fucker, even if it's just to let me get away from ruining their quiet peaceful journey.

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

The concept is good for the environment like all electric vehicles, and I'm sure the torque delivery is amazing, but personally, like my cars, I like the connect you have with the bike, changing gears and getting the right revs for gears. The sound of the exhaust and smell of fuel. It's that whole package I love about bikes

» Add a new message to this topic