FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Fair weather riders

Fair weather riders

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

To all you fair-weather riders who think you're too cool to nod back whilst out on your "2 rides a year" trip. Go fuck yourself.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hahahahaha just having the same discussion on a fb group about this, mostly the foreign riders who nod or shake a leg

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

"To all you fair-weather riders who think you're too cool to nod back whilst out on your "2 rides a year" trip. Go fuck yourself.

"

Oh dear. Grumpy much

We're not all bad! lol.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"We're not all bad! lol. "

Haha!!

I'm w fair weather rider, and I always not

Nod even!!

By *rsmiley69Man  over a year ago

Cavan Monaghan

Ride in all weather an always give a nod doesn’t matter what their riding

By *lyreelMan  over a year ago

King's lynn

I used too, all the time, very rarely bother now because it is rarely returned.

Unless it’s a scooter or a wee bike, I nod or wave to them to make the day seem a wee bit quicker than 43 mph !!

So many bike riders are so far up themselves, such a shame that the camaraderie is being lost.

By *edrex11Couple  over a year ago

Westbury

I've noticed years ago that it is hard to see a nod if it's just a up and down nod that is why i always nod to the side

a lot of these not returning nod may be but not enough for you to see or have not seen your nod as the movement is not enough for them to see

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

It used to pee me off but then I started nodding at everyone even commuters on scooters & learners which a few of my mates wouldn't do. I found in Essex it was usually H-D & wing riders that didn't nod & who you get a nod from depended on what you were riding at the time.

Now we've moved to W.Wales we don't see many commuters & if you are on a bike you'll get a nod unless near a biker haunt when there's just too many.

I still nod at everyone, if they don't nod back i'm just meh.

Life's too short to worry about it.

S

I admit I felt guilty not nodding as I passed by at 115 today ...and that wasn't the time

I’m a learner. Only been into this a few weeks and no one has nodded back, maybe all the big men on their super bikes were never learners themselves and us newbies aren’t worthy.

"I’m a learner. Only been into this a few weeks and no one has nodded back, maybe all the big men on their super bikes were never learners themselves and us newbies aren’t worthy. "

I actually nod scooters, mopeds and especially learners just to say welcome to the club...mind a draw the line at OAP's on dolly Trollied

I (her) always try to nod but especially to learners who get a thumbs up if I overtake them too. Wasn't that long ago I was on L plates x

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

I always nod or hand out in France and I'm a Harley rider!!

West Wales

"I always nod or hand out in France and I'm a Harley rider!! "

Maybe too many H-D & Wing riders in the South East also drive BMW's or Audi's

S

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

"I used too, all the time, very rarely bother now because it is rarely returned.

Unless it’s a scooter or a wee bike, I nod or wave to them to make the day seem a wee bit quicker than 43 mph !!

So many bike riders are so far up themselves, such a shame that the camaraderie is being lost. "

Not all of us scooter riders need that encouragement. Somewhere (ahem) around 70 the Maxsym picks up an unpleasant vibration but still has power to spare if needed.

I have noticed that if I'm on the scooter in my hi vis, winter gear I get many more nods than when wearing the draggin jeans hoodie and biking cargo pants. I guess this is down to looking more like a biker in the cordura.

What scooters are we talking about?

Vespas and Lambrettas I do. I used to ride them myself but I feel no affinity to twist and go's.

Nothing personal of course, we all suffer the same idiots I know.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Doesn't count in the sunny South, the weather is always fair. I only managed 6,000 miles since last September, but then again it is the only way to get through the traffic at times. I nod to anyone who is daft to be out when the fields are white in mornings.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

I nod or wave at everyone unless they're on the other side of the motorway.

Most people nod back, but you can tell the ones that won't... It's usually people who are on bikes purely for commuting. They're riding through necessity not because they enjoy biking. I'm fine with that; a nod is no effort.

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

I generally nod or wave to everyone unless they are 'on it' and a wave could distract. Unsure of etiquette with bigger groups though, do you acknowledge all of them or just the one at the front? Out on your own passing a dozen bikes coming the other way it can feel like your head is going to fall off nodding at all of them!

By *rincess and her FrogCouple  over a year ago

congleton

I always give a nod to fellow bikers, I must look like bloody Churchill sometimes lol

By *lancmangecplCouple  over a year ago

farnborough

I always nod. Don’t really see many not reciprocating either round the south east

I always nod and probably 75% return a nod

By *edpalmMan  over a year ago

St Albans

What is the actual point of nodding? It's not 1973, and I'm not a parcel shelf mascot. Unless your nod means service my Mrs, don't bother

By *rivenSnowCouple  over a year ago

Uk

I ride pretty much every day no matter the weather. I nod everyone and if I see a rider parked up at the side of the road I slow down and check they ok or if they need help.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"What is the actual point of nodding? It's not 1973, and I'm not a parcel shelf mascot. Unless your nod means service my Mrs, don't bother"

Maybe this thing that Londoners are not as friendly as us northerners could be a thing after all

"What is the actual point of nodding? It's not 1973, and I'm not a parcel shelf mascot. Unless your nod means service my Mrs, don't bother

Maybe this thing that Londoners are not as friendly as us northerners could be a thing after all "

I remember the 1st time I took the Mrs out on the back of my bike , we were riding over the Brecon Beacons so there were loads of bikes on the road which meant a huge amount of nods back and forth , when we're got to Brecon she got off and said " I can't believe you know so many people and how do you recognise them with their helmets on "?

"I remember the 1st time I took the Mrs out on the back of my bike , we were riding over the Brecon Beacons so there were loads of bikes on the road which meant a huge amount of nods back and forth , when we're got to Brecon she got off and said " I can't believe you know so many people and how do you recognise them with their helmets on "? "

Love it.

All year round rider here. Nodding is just a recognition of mutual interests and encouragement. Bikers are great supporters of others irrespective of what they ride (no pun intended). This extends beyond being on a bike at the time too.

Only two days ago I saw two bikers parked up, was in my van so pulled over and got out to see if they needed help. One was having fuel issues, they'd travelled over from Belgium, lucky for them I speak fluent French too.

Anyway, popped one bike in the back while other followed and took then to a mate who has a bike shop. Told my mate to charge me. I wished them all the best for their trip around Ireland.

Mate rang me afterwards and said their faces were priceless when he told them I was paying. Oh to have been a fly on the wall!

Mate never charged me either.

That's what nodding is about for those skeptics.

Durham

"All year round rider here. Nodding is just a recognition of mutual interests and encouragement. Bikers are great supporters of others irrespective of what they ride (no pun intended). This extends beyond being on a bike at the time too.

Only two days ago I saw two bikers parked up, was in my van so pulled over and got out to see if they needed help. One was having fuel issues, they'd travelled over from Belgium, lucky for them I speak fluent French too.

Anyway, popped one bike in the back while other followed and took then to a mate who has a bike shop. Told my mate to charge me. I wished them all the best for their trip around Ireland.

Mate rang me afterwards and said their faces were priceless when he told them I was paying. Oh to have been a fly on the wall!

That's what nodding is about for those skeptics. "

"I've noticed years ago that it is hard to see a nod if it's just a up and down nod that is why i always nod to the side

a lot of these not returning nod may be but not enough for you to see or have not seen your nod as the movement is not enough for them to see "

I always give a good nod to to side too... If I get one back great.. If not, it no big deal..

"I (her) always try to nod but especially to learners who get a thumbs up if I overtake them too. Wasn't that long ago I was on L plates x"

Everyone was a learner once... I do the same...

By *2funMan  over a year ago

newark/ lincoln

Total agree we were all learners once. I give a good nod to the side. Probably makes a learners day when they get a nod from a big bike.

"I remember the 1st time I took the Mrs out on the back of my bike , we were riding over the Brecon Beacons so there were loads of bikes on the road which meant a huge amount of nods back and forth , when we're got to Brecon she got off and said " I can't believe you know so many people and how do you recognise them with their helmets on "?

Class

Love it. "

West Wales

"All year round rider here. Nodding is just a recognition of mutual interests and encouragement. Bikers are great supporters of others irrespective of what they ride (no pun intended). This extends beyond being on a bike at the time too.

That's what nodding is about for those skeptics. "

I got a call from a mate "You like BMW's can I send a guy round?" German chap arrives on a 1956 250cc single! Needs a service, points resetting & I noticed a dodgy headlight as he bounced up the lane.

All sorted & on his way in a couple of hours work & a sandwich. He'd had it 47yrs & did a two week European trip every year! 15bhp loaded to the gunnels, cruised at 55mph.

Who needs a GS!

S

By *reenlanerCouple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"I’m a learner. Only been into this a few weeks and no one has nodded back, maybe all the big men on their super bikes were never learners themselves and us newbies aren’t worthy.

I actually nod scooters, mopeds and especially learners just to say welcome to the club...mind a draw the line at OAP's on dolly Trollied "

But I ride a Suzuki Burgman shopping trolley lol

But only to keep my H2 clean and dry and keep the miles down on my classic bikes,

So never judge a book by the cover lol

Well said

By *ambo1450Man  over a year ago

Newport

I’m lucky enough to have two bikes, a sports tourer and a Harley complete with ape hangers, loud pipes, flash paint etc etc.

It amazes me how other riders ignore me on the Harley but nod and wave when I’m on the Yamaha.

I acknowledge all riders on big bikes (sorry learners),

Durham

"I’m lucky enough to have two bikes, a sports tourer and a Harley complete with ape hangers, loud pipes, flash paint etc etc.

It amazes me how other riders ignore me on the Harley but nod and wave when I’m on the Yamaha.

I acknowledge all riders on big bikes (sorry learners),"

So when you are on your Harley you will know how all the learners feel when you don't acknowledge them

"To all you fair-weather riders who think you're too cool to nod back whilst out on your "2 rides a year" trip. Go fuck yourself.

Oh dear. Grumpy much "

So grumpy he left the site lol

Newport

[Removed by poster at 19/08/19 11:01:37]

By *r Nice Guy 1Man  over a year ago

manchester

I ride all year round and always acknowledge other riders.... it's the done thing..... except at the TT of course ... my head would fall off

Newport

"I’m lucky enough to have two bikes, a sports tourer and a Harley complete with ape hangers, loud pipes, flash paint etc etc.

I acknowledge all riders on big bikes (sorry learners),

So when you are on your Harley you will know how all the learners feel when you don't acknowledge them "

I guess so, but it doesn’t bother me, I just find it interesting.

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

I always nod, or put a hand out here in France. I have always acknowledged everyone on motorbikes, mopeds or scooters. I've never experienced any bad attitudes and always receive a wave back and I'm a Harley rider too! So it's all a mindset and I always give the time of day to chat and help other bikers what ever they ride.

It's all down to individual attitude at the end of the day.

Durham

[Removed by poster at 19/08/19 12:22:00]

By *udith55TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

In France failure to exchange a salute usually means there is a Police speed check in the area. Once upon a time AA patrolmen were obliged to salute AA members who displayed the badge on their radiators. Failure to salute meant there was a speed trap nearby.

Nodding is a continuation of this, don't nod to someone who is heading into the speed trap.

I'm probably going to upset a few people on here but I find Harley riders the worst for failing to nod/return the nod when I'm out round these parts.

That's not too say they all fail too, but 80 percent never acknowledge my nod.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS  over a year ago

glasgow

"I'm probably going to upset a few people on here but I find Harley riders the worst for failing to nod/return the nod when I'm out round these parts.

That's not too say they all fail too, but 80 percent never acknowledge my nod. "

I agree with you on that

I always nod and the roads around here people either nod first (or wave) or return it 99% of the time

When I first passed I loved it - part of a clique at last lol

By *ilf n filfCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

I nod everyone scooters learners Harley Davison and even BMW riders

[Removed by poster at 15/09/19 11:23:04]

By *vanabeusedTV/TS  over a year ago

somewhere

I have a few different makes and styles of bikes and no ones waving these days . Sports , adventures, cruisers , jap , German . Italian and uk , everyone’s blanking it . Maybe it’s just me ?

I always nod my head to the side

So they know

But sorry i dont nod to scooters as they never nod back anyway

So gave up

Been off the road for a couple of years (due to life and the total lack of a lottery win!)

Must say I am surprised and the amount of people who don't nod! It's part of our culture and to me it's important. I don't look particularly female when I ride, so I'm assuming there is a lot of ignorance out there. Won't stop me nodding though ??

Been off the road for a couple of years (due to life and the total lack of a lottery win!)

Must say I am surprised and the amount of people who don't nod! It's part of our culture and to me it's important. I don't look particularly female when I ride, so I'm assuming there is a lot of ignorance out there. Won't stop me nodding though ??

West Wales

"I have a few different makes and styles of bikes and no ones waving these days . Sports , adventures, cruisers , jap , German . Italian and uk , everyone’s blanking it . Maybe it’s just me ? "

I'm finding this more & more too, genres only nodding to those of the same.

Weird, I nod at everyone & the dumb part is when you get to your chosen popular packed biker destination everyone talks to everyone usually, very odd I think to then not acknowledge on the road..

S

By *omewhatSlightlyDazedMan  over a year ago

Warwick Birmingham & YamYamLand

I side nod every biker I pass, groups I nod like I'm nodding to music. I even nod cyclists that I see every day on my commute.

Always move over for the bigger, faster bikes and appreciate their appreciation

Some don't nod, who cares. 90% do.

All year round rider on my 125, it's slow but it's fun to ride and can handle the snow

» Add a new message to this topic