FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Keeping my bike safe

Keeping my bike safe

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've heard that alot of bikes are being stollen and once I get mine it will be parked on the street so what equipment can I get to keep it safe and do you have any tips

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rincess xxxWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

"I've heard that alot of bikes are being stollen and once I get mine it will be parked on the street so what equipment can I get to keep it safe and do you have any tips"

A tiger chained to it SHOULD do the trick BUT if a man eating feline is hard to come across while shopping in Halfords A good fixed floor bolting system seems to be impossible AS I’ve been trying to rob my neighbours bike for quite some time now with unsuccessful results

"I've heard that alot of bikes are being stollen and once I get mine it will be parked on the street so what equipment can I get to keep it safe and do you have any tips

A tiger chained to it SHOULD do the trick BUT if a man eating feline is hard to come across while shopping in Halfords A good fixed floor bolting system seems to be impossible AS I’ve been trying to rob my neighbours bike for quite some time now with unsuccessful results "

I don't think I'm able to do as I need to park it out on the street

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Take a look on you tube at bike thefts on CCTV. Not like the old days when they used to hot wire before they rode off. Usually a couple of twist n go scooters one of which will have a passenger. One either side of your handle bars pushing or pulling and one sitting with his feet on your front wheel pulling. A couple of seconds literally and any steering lock is broken. One guy sits on your bike and steers with a guy on the scooter putting his foot on your pegs to push the bike. It's all over in less than 30 seconds and they're miles away to do whatever with your bike they want. Top tips are....

Get a good bike cover, one with holes in to pass a good chain through. If they can't see what it is they desire it less. Try and chain to a solid object...

2 disc locks, good ones not cheap Chinese crap. One on the front disc one on the back. Easy for thieves to pick up the front and wheel it away but not so the back...

Alarms won't stop them, you've got to physically show a bit of visible security to make them find an easier target.

Lastly no matter how rushed you are always put ALL your locks on. The day you don't is the day your rubbing your eyes looking at a space where your bike once was. Believe me I know that pain.

In short BIG top named locks, and lots of em!!!

Do you have any brand recommendations

Abus disc locks and chains. Do get the cover too though. I saw a former bike thief on youtube once and it was one of his top tips.

If they really want it though they'll take it. Saw a cheap cordless grinder in Lidl last week...

They're all lazy cants though so all we can do is make it so much drama they'll pick on some other poor bugger.

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

Anchor it to something a fence lamp post , , and ffs fit a tracker !

But a tracker system for it. I have biketrac on mine. Insurance companies like them better than alarms. Bike trac will phone text and email within seconds of movement.

Saw one of those in Halfords the other day. Tbh though I don't think I could sleep if my bike was outside. Is there any garage space local you could rent or take it in the house?

Hell of a sexy bum you've got above me there...

Easy , get a car ,

"Easy , get a car , "

Thanks that's really fucking helpful

"Easy , get a car , "

Easier still... Dump the car and get a bike, leave the comedy and get a life

Do all the usual security stuff. A good trick is to put a padlock on the drive chain. They never look there and they Will end up on their arse when they try to move it.

"Do all the usual security stuff. A good trick is to put a padlock on the drive chain. They never look there and they Will end up on their arse when they try to move it."

Good tip but if they end up on their arses won't your pride and joy too? An easy thing to forget yourself as well.

I like big bold statements they can see.

Mind you as a last resort with a disc lock cable running from lock to handle bar so you don't forget it's another idea...

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

As someone has said maybe look into look into local garage or lock up rental.

If you live in flats is there an area that you can possibly tuck the bike away so it is not as easily seen.

On that note what type of bike is it?

What are you using it for, daily commute or weekend blasts?

By *ugyukMan  over a year ago

EDINBURGH

Tie wrap the front brake lever to the bar so the front brakes on

Make it difficult to wheel away then

Also switch kill switch to off

So if the try n start it itll no start and in theyre panic theyll leave it n run off

(Hopefully)

By *ushkinMan  over a year ago

Northampton

I've got a disc lock with an alarm, it should make them leg it once it goes off

"As someone has said maybe look into look into local garage or lock up rental.

If you live in flats is there an area that you can possibly tuck the bike away so it is not as easily seen.

On that note what type of bike is it?

What are you using it for, daily commute or weekend blasts?

"

It's a Honda cbr600f and it's going to used just to do day to day things. I live in flats but it'd not on a main road

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

Tracker is good advice.

If you go with an alarm spend extra for a paging one...the key fob will alert you. Remember nobody but you gives a shit if your bike's alarm is going off.

If you always park on the same spot in the road, see if you can get permission from the council to install a ground anchor. I've seen them in the road in London. I've also seen a large plant pot filled with concrete used an an anchor point before.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

"Tie wrap the front brake lever to the bar so the front brakes on."

So you put a fresh one on every night and hope a thief expecting to have to cut a disk lock or chain off isn't equipped to cut a bit of plastic? Oh, and carry snips with you so you can go to work every morning? That's convenient.

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

"I've heard that alot of bikes are being stollen and once I get mine it will be parked on the street so what equipment can I get to keep it safe and do you have any tips"
just don't leave it on the street,it won't be safe ???

By *raceytvcdTV/TS  over a year ago

mansfield

"Do all the usual security stuff. A good trick is to put a padlock on the drive chain. They never look there and they Will end up on their arse when they try to move it."
a van, 4 guys two scaff bars, stihl saw ,if they want it they will have it

"I've heard that alot of bikes are being stollen and once I get mine it will be parked on the street so what equipment can I get to keep it safe and do you have any tips just don't leave it on the street,it won't be safe ???"

I have no where else to keep it

By *ord of MisruleMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

[Removed by poster at 06/07/19 18:37:03]

Big ass fuxking chain and lock it to a street lamp usually does the job and across from a cctv helps too lol

As above with covers, chains and disk locks plus we use datatag as well. Datatag sticker in visible place is also a good deterrent.

Mrs

All these suggestions have merit, even the more out there ones. Here's the bottom line though. You can cover it in chains but a cordless grinder and a 1mm cutting disc will go like a hot knife through butter. I know I'm a welder and use these things regular. They will care little for the damage they'll cause as most of the time it's ridden then dumped or broken for bits and put on ebay. All the trackers, alarms and locks won't stop them if they're going to joyride then dump in some canal within an hour. Tbh would you want it back with panel damage and a fried engine?

If your in a flat I'm guessing your more than a few mins away and what the hell will you do against 2 or 3 kids with a knife, end up on the news at 6 and become a statistic.

Cheeky fuckers these days just pull up their hoods and arrive on a twist and go with cloned plates so CCTV no good.

The only credible worthwhile advice is to find a rentable garage. Knock some doors locally, if they haven't they might say park it up my entry or driveway.

It's your pride and joy but I promise if it's left regular in the street some bastards will get it. It happened to me 26 years ago. Perhaps you've seen a local biker with a garage or driveway? If they can't take it out of jealousy your tank will get dented or kicked over.

Out of sight out of mind. Think outside the box buddy. I wish you all the luck...

My neighbour has a bike that sits on the street every night and I don't think he's ever had a problem

It’s not all doom and gloom lol there’s plenty of folk leave their bikes out on street and get no problems so long as it’s in a really visible

Place plenty of folk can see you’re generally alright if it’s hidden out way then that leaves thieves hidden too, end of day you’re damned if you do or don’t, I live in an estate renound for thieving wee bastards and house breaking and general arsehole

Behaviour and never had an issue with my

Bike my chain is about 2” thick and weights about 15lbs and the lock about 2lbs easy I put it through back tyre and over seat and put my bins in front of bike my dogs can hear my cats fart outside and start yapping like fuxk so no chance anyone’s getting my bike is seriously do time if someone tried, also helps for some reason folk round here are a bit apprehensive about me lol

The area I live in isn't that nice but my street is usually pretty quite because there's a few people that live on it you don't want to fuck with which is also the same reason I couldn't install cctv

As pointed out above it's not all doom and gloom that's true lol. But how many of you who say that have had bikes stolen. It takes seconds. The last one I had stolen went from outside my house in broad daylight whilst I was in around 3pm on a Friday afternoon from a respectable cul-de-sac area. The broken cast disc lock was all they left. Not the best disc lock tbf.

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

"Tie wrap the front brake lever to the bar so the front brakes on

So if the try n start it itll no start and in theyre panic theyll leave it n run off

(Hopefully)

"

Have you seen the throttle/brake lever locks? Basically does what you're saying but it is made of metal (more durable than a zip tie!). Also handy for parking on a hill since it's holding the brake on. I prefer it to a disc lock since you can't forget it's there!

Parked on the street they will just pick up your bike and put it in a van in seconds... by the time a tracker is activated they will have blocked the signal with a cover and nobody pays attention to alarms.. any other locks will be cut off later... best advice is don't advertise where you keep it and pay to park it in a mates garage or storage lock up...

By *rai69Man  over a year ago

Colchester

You can do almost what ever you want to secure it but if they want it they WILL get it.

By *lutandhubbyCouple  over a year ago

west midlands

buy two trackers!. if its lifted into the back of a van, by the time its round the corner they have the seat, side pannels off looking for trackers,

(they never look for two)!!!

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

If someone knocked on my door asking to keep their bike in my garden I'd be happy for them to put it out of sight on my property at no charge rather than them leave it on the street. That's a great idea a previous post suggested. Get knocking on some doors close by. And always chain it to a solid object with a good chain if possible, even if it's in someone's garden

By *d1340Man  over a year ago

Black country

Multiple good visible locks and a cover is all you can realistically do on the street unless you can chain to something solid. But if the worst comes to the worst Mag members have a reward scheme of up to 10 grand for info leading to conviction, and most of the thieving scum would shop their own mothers for a fix

By *irage200Man  over a year ago

north west

Torc Series II Ground Anchor

Package Deal: Protector 19mm Chain, Squire SS65CS-XLN Lock

https://securityforbikes.com/

You pay out and you keep your bike... simple and isolate your garage plugs with a switch in the house.

"Tie wrap the front brake lever to the bar so the front brakes on

(Hopefully)

They are a total waste of money, easiest lock to over come, Just open the bleed nipple and its free to move

Have you seen the throttle/brake lever locks? Basically does what you're saying but it is made of metal (more durable than a zip tie!). Also handy for parking on a hill since it's holding the brake on. I prefer it to a disc lock since you can't forget it's there! "

As said front and rear disc locks

Big chain and padlock to something secure a cover an alarm and maybe fit a hidden kill switch

"As said front and rear disc locks

Big chain and padlock to something secure a cover an alarm and maybe fit a hidden kill switch

"

What use is a hidden kill switch?

Used to live in London. Deterrent is best but if they WANT it they’ll have it. But the idea is to make it not worth their while.

I had...

X2 disc lock. Front n rear. Bright and shiny

Over night I padlocked the drive chain.

Tracker stickers

Kill switch under the seat hooked up to a fob and Bluetooth retro fit module. I had the M-unit blue.

I got persmission of the council to install a “removable” ground anchor on the road (took months and costly) as there was no designated m/c bays.

Failing all that. A big fuck off chain and the nearest lamp post.

Good luck fella

By *exy fucker bikerMan  over a year ago

kent

Be happy to rent my space in garage out Kent for biker

By *ireblade07Couple  over a year ago

redditch

Thunder ace is right, a 125mm battery angle grinder and a 1mm disc will destroy any thing.

I've seen a vid of 3 scumbags on two twist and go scooters taking an Africa twin from a city centre hospital car park, the car park was barriered, the bike was covered and chained front and back, one cut the chains the other two did the steering lock they pushed it off with the guy on the scooter pushing with his foot.

All in about 30 seconds. The police reckon they have a lined van nearby so trackers blocked.

Best way out of sight !

By *angzMan  over a year ago

Manchester, London & sometimes Newcastle

"All these suggestions have merit, even the more out there ones. Here's the bottom line though. You can cover it in chains but a cordless grinder and a 1mm cutting disc will go like a hot knife through butter. I know I'm a welder and use these things regular. They will care little for the damage they'll cause as most of the time it's ridden then dumped or broken for bits and put on ebay. All the trackers, alarms and locks won't stop them if they're going to joyride then dump in some canal within an hour. Tbh would you want it back with panel damage and a fried engine?

If your in a flat I'm guessing your more than a few mins away and what the hell will you do against 2 or 3 kids with a knife, end up on the news at 6 and become a statistic.

Cheeky fuckers these days just pull up their hoods and arrive on a twist and go with cloned plates so CCTV no good.

The only credible worthwhile advice is to find a rentable garage. Knock some doors locally, if they haven't they might say park it up my entry or driveway.

It's your pride and joy but I promise if it's left regular in the street some bastards will get it. It happened to me 26 years ago. Perhaps you've seen a local biker with a garage or driveway? If they can't take it out of jealousy your tank will get dented or kicked over.

Out of sight out of mind. Think outside the box buddy. I wish you all the luck..."

By *adylydfordWoman  over a year ago

altinkum

I had to get a metal armadillo box for mine. Cost over a grand but everything else i did they got through and when the flockers couldnt take it they burned it where it was standing on the drive!

By *udith55TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

Buy something that bike thieves won't nick. A bike made in the old Soviet bloc such as a Cossack or Neval, an MZ, CZ or Jawa. They only nick bikes that they can sell on or strip for spares, so that rules out almost every bike made in the last 20 years.

If you do park in the street, don't park in the same place every night and don't leave your bikechain wrapped around a lamp post, ne'er do wells fill the lock with superglue and then your security lock won't work.

» Add a new message to this topic