Advice about how you would go about learning as I have no idea lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uzyamCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

Google local bike tuition, can normally get three to five day intensive course

By *hloe sussex OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Larne

"Google local bike tuition, can normally get three to five day intensive course"
awww brill thanks

By *uzyamCouple  over a year ago

Shropshire

Pretty sure there's one around Horsham/Crawley, good luck

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

I did my cbt (compulsory basic training) which let's you ride a 125cc with L plates, but can't ride on motorways or carry a passenger. I got a 125 and rode it for about 8 or 9 months, then did direct access which anyone over 24 can do and get an unrestricted license. 5 days training, followed by the tests. Mod 1 is off the road in an enclosed area showing you can control the bike mainly at low speeds, weaving round cones, u-turns, etc and also emergency stop and a swerve. Mod 2 is on the road, with the examiner following. Part of it they give directions for and part of it they just tell you to follow signs for somewhere. Basically it's to check that you can still keep proper road positions and observations while also following signs to where you are going. I failed both tests first time but passed both 2nd try.

I'd suggest doing cbt first, separate to direct access because it lets you get a feel for the school and the instructors before stumping up a lot of cash. Also, it lets you see whether you actually enjoy riding.

Google will help with schools in your area, and also with reviews of them. If there are any biker bars or cafes near you go and talk to bikers there too for recommendations. Most are a friendly bunch and happy to help get more bikes out on the road!

Good luck and enjoy it!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

And there's the theory test too which needs doing before mod 1 x

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

Yeah, forgot about the theory test. I found it OK, it was the hazard perception test that I was worried about. I got an app to practice both theory and hazard perception and passed both of them first time. Don't think I'd have passed hazard perception without the practice though, it's getting used to when to click. Too early doesn't register, too late doesn't register, too often and it excludes all marks for that clip. Get a good app and practice lots before sitting the test!

By *ustme34Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Book a cbt course and they will teach and show you how to ride the bike ... you have that for 2 years.

They wont let you on the roads until they are happy you've got it so cant really go wrong

By *hloe sussex OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Larne

Thanks for your help guys

» Add a new message to this topic