FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Back to biking

Back to biking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So as the title suggests, Ive got back into biking after 13 years away.. It was only a few weeks back on the bike when I fell downstairs and broke my ankle, which has set me back a few months

Any advice or tips for me getting my confidence back? I have a great group of biker friends from fab, but feel I can't keep up with them.. Purely because I'm a tit on a bike

I've a cbr600f, and everytime I think I want to go out, it fills me with fear. Should I just give up?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m new to biking but I would suggest asking yourself what are you afraid of? Hurting yourself or others hurting you. Either way maybe consider some further training and improving your skills.

By *attooed gentMan  over a year ago

anywhere everywhere

Just take your time vix no need to keep up with them just go at your own pace and things will all come back naturally for you and don't over think about it that's what's knocking your confidence and making you fear the bike just take it ride by ride and enjoy what you can get out on the bike

"I’m new to biking but I would suggest asking yourself what are you afraid of? Hurting yourself or others hurting you. Either way maybe consider some further training and improving your skills. "
thanks, think it's more about hurting myself.. But yea booked some back to biking courses, hopefully that helps. Thanks for the reply

"Just take your time vix no need to keep up with them just go at your own pace and things will all come back naturally for you and don't over think about it that's what's knocking your confidence and making you fear the bike just take it ride by ride and enjoy what you can get out on the bike "
thanks bluejeans, definitely think that's the way forward, going out with fugy today helped too

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

[Removed by poster at 21/07/19 14:09:12]

Durham

"So as the title suggests, Ive got back into biking after 13 years away.. It was only a few weeks back on the bike when I fell downstairs and broke my ankle, which has set me back a few months

Any advice or tips for me getting my confidence back? I have a great group of biker friends from fab, but feel I can't keep up with them.. Purely because I'm a tit on a bike

I've a cbr600f, and everytime I think I want to go out, it fills me with fear. Should I just give up? "

Mrs F used be filled with fear for many years. She built up from a NC30 400cc to a 600 Gladius and still the fear was there. Sooooo. You might think this was drastic. A Kawasaki Z1000SX was purchased along with an advanced riders from IAM. The best thing she ever did. Confidence and never again that fear of dread. Our Advice is to go on an Advance Riders course from IAM, worth every single penny. Would recommend everyone to do this as the road craft is amazing and who wouldn't want to learn a technique that is proven to make you safer on the road. Its not all about riding like the slowest person out there, but teach you progressive riding and the safe way to do it. Most IAM groups offer a taster session so look up your local group and give it a go.

By *ydrewMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

If I was you I'd get on the bike as much as possible. The more you are on it the more comfortable it will feel. Your confidence will grow. As for keeping up with the pact I wouldn't worry. Too many people get hurt riding out of there comfort zone. If going out with group just know the route and what stops are planned and meet them there. Enjoy the ride.

"So as the title suggests, Ive got back into biking after 13 years away.. It was only a few weeks back on the bike when I fell downstairs and broke my ankle, which has set me back a few months

I've a cbr600f, and everytime I think I want to go out, it fills me with fear. Should I just give up?

Mrs F used be filled with fear for many years. She built up from a NC30 400cc to a 600 Gladius and still the fear was there. Sooooo. You might think this was drastic. A Kawasaki Z1000SX was purchased along with an advanced riders from IAM. The best thing she ever did. Confidence and never again that fear of dread. Our Advice is to go on an Advance Riders course from IAM, worth every single penny. Would recommend everyone to do this as the road craft is amazing and who wouldn't want to learn a technique that is proven to make you safer on the road. Its not all about riding like the slowest person out there, but teach you progressive riding and the safe way to do it. Most IAM groups offer a taster session so look up your local group and give it a go."

yea after reading your message it's something I'm going to look into for sure, who wouldn't benefit from advanced riding so thank you

"If I was you I'd get on the bike as much as possible. The more you are on it the more comfortable it will feel. Your confidence will grow. As for keeping up with the pact I wouldn't worry. Too many people get hurt riding out of there comfort zone. If going out with group just know the route and what stops are planned and meet them there. Enjoy the ride. "
thanks for reply, yea that's what I think is needed, was out today with a friend who was an instructor and he said I was absolutely fine, all in my head lol. So I feel I can relax a bit now and hopefully enjoy it.

Bournemouth

"If I was you I'd get on the bike as much as possible. The more you are on it the more comfortable it will feel. Your confidence will grow. As for keeping up with the pact I wouldn't worry. Too many people get hurt riding out of there comfort zone. If going out with group just know the route and what stops are planned and meet them there. Enjoy the ride. thanks for reply, yea that's what I think is needed, was out today with a friend who was an instructor and he said I was absolutely fine, all in my head lol. So I feel I can relax a bit now and hopefully enjoy it. "

I'm sure it is all in your head. It's just about road time. I was commuting daily for a year in all weathers that's when my confidence grew

"If I was you I'd get on the bike as much as possible. The more you are on it the more comfortable it will feel. Your confidence will grow. As for keeping up with the pact I wouldn't worry. Too many people get hurt riding out of there comfort zone. If going out with group just know the route and what stops are planned and meet them there. Enjoy the ride. thanks for reply, yea that's what I think is needed, was out today with a friend who was an instructor and he said I was absolutely fine, all in my head lol. So I feel I can relax a bit now and hopefully enjoy it.

I'm sure it is all in your head. It's just about road time. I was commuting daily for a year in all weathers that's when my confidence grew"

wow that is good. I'm afraid if I feel rain I'm either on way home or bike gets ditched lol

Bournemouth

"If I was you I'd get on the bike as much as possible. The more you are on it the more comfortable it will feel. Your confidence will grow. As for keeping up with the pact I wouldn't worry. Too many people get hurt riding out of there comfort zone. If going out with group just know the route and what stops are planned and meet them there. Enjoy the ride. thanks for reply, yea that's what I think is needed, was out today with a friend who was an instructor and he said I was absolutely fine, all in my head lol. So I feel I can relax a bit now and hopefully enjoy it.

I'm sure it is all in your head. It's just about road time. I was commuting daily for a year in all weathers that's when my confidence grew wow that is good. I'm afraid if I feel rain I'm either on way home or bike gets ditched lol"

Lol. I used to do that. Btw why no leathers pics on profile

I'm sure it is all in your head. It's just about road time. I was commuting daily for a year in all weathers that's when my confidence grew wow that is good. I'm afraid if I feel rain I'm either on way home or bike gets ditched lol

Lol. I used to do that. Btw why no leathers pics on profile "

never really thought about the pics lol. Will try get some done (just for you)

Bournemouth

I'm sure it is all in your head. It's just about road time. I was commuting daily for a year in all weathers that's when my confidence grew wow that is good. I'm afraid if I feel rain I'm either on way home or bike gets ditched lol

Lol. I used to do that. Btw why no leathers pics on profile never really thought about the pics lol. Will try get some done (just for you) "

Aw thank you so much xx

By *udith55TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

There are two sides to riding a motorbike, it's a bit like riding on a knife edge, on one side is absolute pleasure and on the other is terror. I try to experience a little of either. We all experience both pleasure and fear, it's the fear of death that keeps us breathing.

"There are two sides to riding a motorbike, it's a bit like riding on a knife edge, on one side is absolute pleasure and on the other is terror. I try to experience a little of either. We all experience both pleasure and fear, it's the fear of death that keeps us breathing."
true, I'm definitely edging on the fear side lol, plus I quite like breathing

I (her) agree with F and B. I lost confidence after dropping the bike in several times in quick succession. I've gone the IAM route and it's transformed my riding. While some of it is down to time on the bike, learning about positioning etc to ride defensively all goes towards building confidence. OH (he) initially did RoSPA and is now adding the IAM qualification too. Thing is you never stop learning. Good luck x

Durham

"There are two sides to riding a motorbike, it's a bit like riding on a knife edge, on one side is absolute pleasure and on the other is terror. I try to experience a little of either. We all experience both pleasure and fear, it's the fear of death that keeps us breathing."

think the knife edge will win eventually, then the latter experience will kick in for ever

Durham

"I (her) agree with F and B. I lost confidence after dropping the bike in several times in quick succession. I've gone the IAM route and it's transformed my riding. While some of it is down to time on the bike, learning about positioning etc to ride defensively all goes towards building confidence. OH (he) initially did RoSPA and is now adding the IAM qualification too. Thing is you never stop learning. Good luck x "

Exactly this, never stop learning. Taking time to think at times why something you did wasn't the best decision, working through it yourself to come up with an answer how next time you can do it safer is one of the ways we never stop leaning. Knowing something you did made other road users uncomfortable and improving your riding for next time. None of us are the best riders on the road and no one is the best driver. Unfortunately there are many who think they are

"I (her) agree with F and B. I lost confidence after dropping the bike in several times in quick succession. I've gone the IAM route and it's transformed my riding. While some of it is down to time on the bike, learning about positioning etc to ride defensively all goes towards building confidence. OH (he) initially did RoSPA and is now adding the IAM qualification too. Thing is you never stop learning. Good luck x "
seems popular the IAM.. Will be on my to do list.. Thanks

"I (her) agree with F and B. I lost confidence after dropping the bike in several times in quick succession. I've gone the IAM route and it's transformed my riding. While some of it is down to time on the bike, learning about positioning etc to ride defensively all goes towards building confidence. OH (he) initially did RoSPA and is now adding the IAM qualification too. Thing is you never stop learning. Good luck x

Exactly this, never stop learning. Taking time to think at times why something you did wasn't the best decision, working through it yourself to come up with an answer how next time you can do it safer is one of the ways we never stop leaning. Knowing something you did made other road users uncomfortable and improving your riding for next time. None of us are the best riders on the road and no one is the best driver. Unfortunately there are many who think they are"

good advice

Bournemouth

One of best bits of advice I was ever given was drive like everyone is trying to kill you and can't even see you. Predicting the unpredictable

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

Don’t give up. You’ll regret it. Like others said. IAM / RoSPA will develop your skills. Don’t follow the person in front of you. Pick your own lines and stay within your comfort zone.

I went over the handlebars of my bike on the M5 a couple of weeks ago. I’m battered and bruised. Bike is written off and realistically won’t be buying a new bike until October. But I will be back and that’s s given.

Hang in there.

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

What parts of riding the bike fills you with dread?

Cornering?

Speed?

Braking?

Dropping the bike?

Mick

"Don’t give up. You’ll regret it. Like others said. IAM / RoSPA will develop your skills. Don’t follow the person in front of you. Pick your own lines and stay within your comfort zone.

I went over the handlebars of my bike on the M5 a couple of weeks ago. I’m battered and bruised. Bike is written off and realistically won’t be buying a new bike until October. But I will be back and that’s s given.

Hang in there. "

omg hope your recovery is quick! I'm fine on the roads, just roundabouts are a major issue for me.. I freeze before I go on it.. Hope your ok the mend soon

"What parts of riding the bike fills you with dread?

Cornering?

Speed?

Braking?

Dropping the bike?

Mick "

roundabouts, I know what lane etc, I just avoid them if I can, in my head I know to keep the momentum going, but doing it is another thing! Can't do it

By *icksfocusMan  over a year ago

Pontefract

[Removed by poster at 22/07/19 22:33:17]

Cornering?

Speed?

Braking?

Dropping the bike?

Mick roundabouts, I know what lane etc, I just avoid them if I can, in my head I know to keep the momentum going, but doing it is another thing! Can't do it"

You can do it but when you get a mental block it's not easy to sort without some help. For example, I dropped my bike 3 times in quick succession. When we went through it we found I (her) was doing the same thing each time. It was only last week I tackled the camber where I'd dropped the bike 2 years before. Some extra training will definitely help and plenty of revs is key. Good luck x

Just keep going out when ever you can. Especially when the roads are a bit quieter. Evenings and weekends. The more you ride the more confident you will become. Just stay away from those industrial estates with big screws on the roads. lol.

"Just keep going out when ever you can. Especially when the roads are a bit quieter. Evenings and weekends. The more you ride the more confident you will become. Just stay away from those industrial estates with big screws on the roads. lol. "
hahaha you. I still feel the guilt!!

Cornering?

Speed?

Braking?

Dropping the bike?

Mick roundabouts, I know what lane etc, I just avoid them if I can, in my head I know to keep the momentum going, but doing it is another thing! Can't do it

You can do it but when you get a mental block it's not easy to sort without some help. For example, I dropped my bike 3 times in quick succession. When we went through it we found I (her) was doing the same thing each time. It was only last week I tackled the camber where I'd dropped the bike 2 years before. Some extra training will definitely help and plenty of revs is key. Good luck x"

glad you sorted things out

Have a read of “ roadcraft” the Police motorcyclist handbook. Sone good tips to be found in there.

"Have a read of “ roadcraft” the Police motorcyclist handbook. Sone good tips to be found in there. "
OK. Thanks will do

By *ikerBoy123Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

During my IAM training, I was pretty crap at cornering. Got taken to a quiet bendy road, stuck in 3rd gear, and went up and down it for hours. Did it in a higher gear and inched the speed up. Then tried it with a new road. I'll never be a knee down biker but I'm a lot better than I was. If you can get familiar with a course and practise skills on that, it might help? Def don't give up . Good luck x

After my bad meeting with the tarmac shattering my lower left leg I was lucky anuff that I didn't hold much fear of the bike until I came to the same spot I had my accident.

But I took it esay until my confidence came back.

So all I could surest is take ur time and stay at speeds and roads ur comfortable on and your confidence will come in its own good time.

Speeds not everthing with bikes enjoy the ride

By *azpiz1Man  over a year ago

Camberley

Definitely look into advanced training. Best £140 I've ever spent on a bike...

I'm now on my to becoming an observer for the IAM, so if you need some pointers, or more advice, feel free to message me.

Ride safe!

As a biker legal newbie, but car driver of 33 years and HGV driver of 31 years, I would suggest not practicing on the same section of road to build on bike skills. One day it will be fine, next day it will be wet, third day it will be covered in diesel. You will go out on Monday and hit a bend at 50, on Tuesday you will enter at 55 and hit the wet/ and or diesel. Improve the observation skills and hazard perception.

Durham

"As a biker legal newbie, but car driver of 33 years and HGV driver of 31 years, I would suggest not practicing on the same section of road to build on bike skills. One day it will be fine, next day it will be wet, third day it will be covered in diesel. You will go out on Monday and hit a bend at 50, on Tuesday you will enter at 55 and hit the wet/ and or diesel. Improve the observation skills and hazard perception. "

I too have drove cars since I was 17 drove trucks since 21 and rode bikes all my life BUT also have trained as an IAM observer. Training on the same section of road to gain someone's confidence is a must, taking on all the hazards you mentioned. You really hit the nail on the head. Teaching folk never to become comfortable in familiar surroundings is one of the firsts as most people come a cropper leaving their homes or riding familiar roads. Sorry to say but you couldn't be more wrong. You should know as a professional driver the techniques folk should learn. Moving onto other more challenging roads is step 2. It's the whole package in the end that matters. Not just stage 1

Thanks so much everyone for all the comments and sharing your stories too

I done a course today, taking me out, practicing roundabouts, country roads, was out for four hours, which has definitely helped! The trainer said nothing wrong that he could see, it's about getting over my fear as I came off on the roundabout years ago.. He said there's nothing he could add to my riding so he would be taking money for nothing.. I went out tonight again and the difference I feel now, think ill get over this no problem with getting out when I can. Thanks again

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

I've read all of this thread now and there's some great advice... and some not so great... A few have hit the nail square on the head... I think FandB said it first...

"Do an advanced riding course" book it today and see it through to the end.

Either the IAM or the ROSPA (I did the RoSPA course) but they're both great and both will help immensely. After you pass (and you will) you will be so much more confident, your bike control will be better, your observations will be so much better, you'll see things you never thought about before but most importantly you will be and feel much safer.

As an "ex" instructor I've seen huge differences in people who have completed the course.

Book one today

Durham

"I've read all of this thread now and there's some great advice... and some not so great... A few have hit the nail square on the head... I think FandB said it first...

Either the IAM or the ROSPA (I did the RoSPA course) but they're both great and both will help immensely. After you pass (and you will) you will be so much more confident, your bike control will be better, your observations will be so much better, you'll see things you never thought about before but most importantly you will be and feel much safer.

As an "ex" instructor I've seen huge differences in people who have completed the course.

Book one today "

Well said sir.

Its so obvious once we've all done it. Hope others are convinced and go ahead and do it. It's a no brainer if it keeps you safer on the roads. Someone earlier mentioned read Police road craft, excellent advice, follow it up with training.

"I've read all of this thread now and there's some great advice... and some not so great... A few have hit the nail square on the head... I think FandB said it first...

Book one today "

thanks. I enquired today, definitely going to do it when funds allow

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

Vixy, take a wee look at the RoSPA website, you'll find a link to your nearest Rospa advanced riders group. You can join the group for about £25, that covers their admin costs.

You'll get 1to1 training at times that suit you and.... Here's the best bit....

All your advanced bike training is FREE!!!!

Go on, join today, you'll love it... I did

"Vixy, take a wee look at the RoSPA website, you'll find a link to your nearest Rospa advanced riders group. You can join the group for about £25, that covers their admin costs.

You'll get 1to1 training at times that suit you and.... Here's the best bit....

All your advanced bike training is FREE!!!!

Go on, join today, you'll love it... I did "

yea had a wee look the other night, seems like a good idea. Cheers

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

" Our Advice is to go on an Advance Riders course from IAM, worth every single penny. Would recommend everyone to do this as the road craft is amazing and who wouldn't want to learn a technique that is proven to make you safer on the road. Its not all about riding like the slowest person out there, but teach you progressive riding and the safe way to do it. Most IAM groups offer a taster session so look up your local group and give it a go."

This!

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Have a read of “ roadcraft” the Police motorcyclist handbook. Sone good tips to be found in there. "

Roadcraft is pretty dry. It's hard going. It is full of great advice.

Check out You Tube, and Advanced Rider. Nigel, ex-traffic cop.

Far easier to digest.

I've a cbr600f, and everytime I think I want to go out, it fills me with fear. Should I just give up? "

No! Don’t give up. After an injury or a long time away from riding it is hard to get back on.

I’ve had 2 major crashes through my brief riding years and both times it was hard to get back on. After about 5 years, I recently high sided cos of a bloody cyclist and had the same thought to give up. Financially and emotionally it screwed me while the cyclist walked away without a penny loss cos he wasn’t insured.

Each time what got me back in to swing was to ride calmly with a friend on quiet country lanes - not a group ride though.

I’d say get back in the bike, go to the shops and back even if 5-10 mins and slowly ride with a friend.

Hell I’ll even shadow you on a slow ride to help you get your confidence back (and there will be many offers of the same nature).

Good luck!!

No! Don’t give up. After an injury or a long time away from riding it is hard to get back on.

I’ve had 2 major crashes through my brief riding years and both times it was hard to get back on. After about 5 years, I recently high sided cos of a bloody cyclist and had the same thought to give up. Financially and emotionally it screwed me while the cyclist walked away without a penny loss cos he wasn’t insured.

Each time what got me back in to swing was to ride calmly with a friend on quiet country lanes - not a group ride though.

I’d say get back in the bike, go to the shops and back even if 5-10 mins and slowly ride with a friend.

Hell I’ll even shadow you on a slow ride to help you get your confidence back (and there will be many offers of the same nature).

Good luck!!"

offt sorry to hear about your accidents just glad you've walkeda away from them though... Yea, very hard to get back to it at first, that's exactly what I was doing, staying local, great advice thanks.. I've had a few offers of people happy to go a ride out and build confidence.. . I'll be taking them up on it for sure lol..

Good luck!! offt sorry to hear about your accidents just glad you've walkeda away from them though... Yea, very hard to get back to it at first, that's exactly what I was doing, staying local, great advice thanks.. I've had a few offers of people happy to go a ride out and build confidence.. . I'll be taking them up on it for sure lol.. "

I’ve been lucky so far lol. It’s all a learning experience some would say.

I hope you get back on to normal riding and take up those offers bike life is something you can’t put behind

Good luck!! offt sorry to hear about your accidents just glad you've walkeda away from them though... Yea, very hard to get back to it at first, that's exactly what I was doing, staying local, great advice thanks.. I've had a few offers of people happy to go a ride out and build confidence.. . I'll be taking them up on it for sure lol..

I’ve been lucky so far lol. It’s all a learning experience some would say.

I hope you get back on to normal riding and take up those offers bike life is something you can’t put behind

"

By *indkink82Man  over a year ago

Caistor

I have cerebral palsy, love my motorcycles tho! Always ride unless I am dangerous or my CP prevents me

Just take it easy. I ride like a granny and I won't do motorways (panic attacks) or fast A roads. So I just do my own thing and tell people I will meet them there. Not a problem as we tend to meet for coffee at the end of the rideout. Just ride your own ride xx

By *azpiz1Man  over a year ago

Camberley

"Just ride your own ride xx"

This! Could not agree more. It's riding in an effort to keep up with others that can get you into trouble very quickly...

» Add a new message to this topic