FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Bike hazard perception test

Bike hazard perception test

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Any tips? Took the theory and H P test on Wednesday, got 48/50 for theory but failed hazard perception by 2 points. Do you click when you see wet roads for instance and a bend? I guess I must have clicked on only the really obvious stuff. Motorist of 33 years here but never done the new style test.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lyn2000Man  over a year ago

london

I failed mine the first time by 2 points ,don't sweat it,

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If u google it u can get practice tests or try YouTube

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

"Any tips? Took the theory and H P test on Wednesday, got 48/50 for theory but failed hazard perception by 2 points. Do you click when you see wet roads for instance and a bend? I guess I must have clicked on only the really obvious stuff. Motorist of 33 years here but never done the new style test. "

A hazard is defined as "Anything that makes you change speed or direction" so wet roads and bends? Absolutely a hazard.

"Any tips? Took the theory and H P test on Wednesday, got 48/50 for theory but failed hazard perception by 2 points. Do you click when you see wet roads for instance and a bend? I guess I must have clicked on only the really obvious stuff. Motorist of 33 years here but never done the new style test.

A hazard is defined as "Anything that makes you change speed or direction" so wet roads and bends? Absolutely a hazard. "

Brilliant !

By *ock69erMan  over a year ago

Middle o’ Fife

I imagine your hazard perception is pretty good anyway with only a 2 point miss... Good luck with the re-try and hopefully we'll have some more bikers out there.

"Any tips? Took the theory and H P test on Wednesday, got 48/50 for theory but failed hazard perception by 2 points. Do you click when you see wet roads for instance and a bend? I guess I must have clicked on only the really obvious stuff. Motorist of 33 years here but never done the new style test.

A hazard is defined as "Anything that makes you change speed or direction" so wet roads and bends? Absolutely a hazard.

Brilliant ! "

Having had to do the hazard perception twice over the past few years, first for my bike then for my HGV that's a bit misleading.

Whilst it might be true in real life, for the test the hazard is considered a developing situation on the road ahead that is considered out of the normal resulting in you having to take avoiding action. The earlier you spot it the more points you get. Generally things like Fire Engines that will join your carriage way, tractors coming round a bend on a narrow road, being cut up on a dual carriage way by a vehicle that hasn't indicated.

Best tactic I found its click on everything that you see that might develop into something, but don't click constantly or the system will think you're cheating. And don't click on bends or wet roads unless there is another vehicle involved that could develop into an incident.

And do a much practice as you can. Last thing I will say I do think the hazard perception test is flawed and bloody annoying. Just glad I don't have to do it again.

"Any tips? Took the theory and H P test on Wednesday, got 48/50 for theory but failed hazard perception by 2 points. Do you click when you see wet roads for instance and a bend? I guess I must have clicked on only the really obvious stuff. Motorist of 33 years here but never done the new style test. "

Think IPSGA... (Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration).

Take in the Information and adjust your Position, Speed and Gear to suit. This should help you accelerate away without loosing momentum and grip.

Those click tests for hazards are best handled by clicking at anything you perceive as a need to change your position. Parked vehicles, pedestrians and crossings, road signs, cyclists, bends

I think 48 out of 50 is pretty good and a pass

Think IPSGA... (Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration).

Take in the Information and adjust your Position, Speed and Gear to suit. This should help you accelerate away without loosing momentum and grip.

Those click tests for hazards are best handled by clicking at anything you perceive as a need to change your position. Parked vehicles, pedestrians and crossings, road signs, cyclists, bends

I think 48 out of 50 is pretty good and a pass"

Thanks. I got 42 out of 75 on the hazard perception, which is a fail. Pass mark is 44 and you need to pass both parts to get the pass for the theory test.

I did mine in August last year and I was really worried about it, not having done the new test either (passed my car test 30 years ago).

To help me with the HP side of it I watched lots

of the free clips on YouTube which gave me an idea of what was involved. I think there were other free resources on the Internet I looked at too. The HP side of it feels very vague to me, despite the seemingly detailed advice on what they are looking for, and I was really worried about over-clicking.

The night before the test (last-minuter here ) I downloaded the “Official DVSA Theory Test Kit” app to my phone. I know it’s for cars but the HP side of it doesn’t vary really. I think it was £4.99 and in my opinion it was money well-spent. It made me feel a great deal more confident going into the test.

» Add a new message to this topic