FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Best commuter bikes

Best commuter bikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I’m new to biking, and on track to hold my full licence soon. I have been practicing and commuting on a Honda Cg125 and have an ex army Harley Davidson MT350 as my toy for when I have my full licence. But I’ve been properly bitten by the bug so what are any good recommendations for a commuter bike. It’s a 10 mile ride, max 50mph limit. I’m thinking Suzuki Bandit 600. Any advice welcome.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When my bike was in for accident repairs I was given a nc750 Honda. That bike was ideal for commuting on. Hardly used any fuel plenty of storage on it and it was the x version so was high up with good wind protection.

Bandit 600 is a great bike, cheap to run etc bullit proof really..great all round bike.

"Bandit 600 is a great bike, cheap to run etc bullit proof really..great all round bike. "

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking, just needed a bit of genuine feedback.

By *dglasgow30TV/TS  over a year ago

glasgow

Bandits are ok but I like Fazer better.

I had a 650 bandit for 4 years..been all over the uk on that for bike rallys..never let me down once..fantastic bike now on my second 1250 bandit...

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

"Bandits are ok but I like Fazer better. "

Agreed, Mk1 Fazers only weakness is the crap headlight at night.

Hornet is also a better bike although the high up exhaust on them causes issues for soft luggage.

S

I use a 2017 Honda NC750S DCT for commuting, great fuel economy, very easy to ride, nice riding position and has a frunk so no need for a rucksack/Topbox.

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

Bandit is a good bike to have, never commuted but as mentioned pretty bullet proof, mine hated cold mornings and struggled to start but I think it needed the carbs refurbed

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

If you're doing a motorway commute, maybe a bike with a fairing. So the Fazer isn't a bad idea.

Bandits been around for ages, so if you did have problems with it, plenty of spare parts at cheap prices

By *ad habit to breakMan  over a year ago

South manchester

kwaka er6f great commuter cheap... fastish and you can throw it around for some fun

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

SV650 is a much underrated bike.

Nimble with a bit of poke, will help get you through the traffic.

Depending of your ergonomics and budget, the CRF1000 Africa Twin is another great all-rounder.

Tracer and Triumph 800 soft adventure bikes are great too.

By *hrisy69Man  over a year ago

chester/hawarden

Depends how far the commute is I had a F800ST but felt it underpowered so changed to a GSA but now i dont commute to work lol

By *hSureFookItMan  over a year ago

Dublin/Drogheda

Yamaha Tdm 900, great bike for commuting and touring.

Gsxr600

Great fun light

And handles well

Good on fuel too

By *uddles500Man  over a year ago

city

Hornet 600 are a great all round bike. Bullet proof engine

"I had a 650 bandit for 4 years..been all over the uk on that for bike rallys..never let me down once..fantastic bike now on my second 1250 bandit..."

Which is the better bike for me? The 650 or 1250?

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Keep the cg125 for commuting and you'll probably keep your licence a bit longer

Buy a track bike and learn to ride it and your harley for fun then move up to a proper Harley

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Or if your ch125 is too small you could do worse than a vstrom

By *elson61Man  over a year ago

WELWYN GARDEN CITY

The NC750 is a good commuter but they are gutless when you want to have a bit of fun on them. If the bike is just for the sole purpose of commuting then they will do the job. They only need a service every 8000 miles and they are very good on petrol.

By *errysMan  over a year ago

milton keynes and kent

Commuting at max 50 might ss well keep 125 but if leaving it parked in public not good as they get stolen too often and easily.

Ive had er6 bandit600 fazer600.

All were good for commuting bandit can do anything.... i mean anything. My fazer wasnt as good off road in mud.

By *rygveMan  over a year ago

The Shires

Anyone commuted on a Piaggio MP3 or something similar? They were everywhere in Paris.

"I had a 650 bandit for 4 years..been all over the uk on that for bike rallys..never let me down once..fantastic bike now on my second 1250 bandit..."

Sounds good that you like the Bandit, why change it for another of the same? Did it wear out or develop faults? I’m curious to know so that I’m making the right choice, because as my commuter bike I want to just ride it and carry out general servicing, and enjoy my other bike to tinker with/ improve/ modify etc etc.

[Removed by poster at 10/09/19 08:41:18]

By *uddles500Man  over a year ago

city

Biggest problem with the bandits are the oil cooler lines tend to crack and leak. They are like hens teeth here

"Biggest problem with the bandits are the oil cooler lines tend to crack and leak. They are like hens teeth here"

Thanks. Great advice and worth checking when go to look at one to buy.

By *rivenSnowCouple  over a year ago

Uk

My last bike was a CBF600. Great bike. I commuted everyday on it. Did 150 miles a day at one point for 3 months. Also toured on it. Never put a foot wrong or gave me any worries. Highly recommended.

By *udith55TV/TS  over a year ago

Birmingham

DCT is not always the best if you're riding in winter. Your left foot and left hand has nothing to do, my foot gave me cramp and I was wishing for heated grips to keep my left hand warm.

The absence of gears may put ne'er do wells off, there's not many around so they don't get stolen and stripped for spares because there's no one to sell the parts too.

By *magine all the peopleCouple  over a year ago

Perth

I would have recommended a burgman 400 for a commute as I had one and loved it. That was until my son crashed it and turned it into a monster broken lego set. So..

My best bet would be a bandit 600 or and sv650. Both are solid, comfortable, reliable and fun to play on away from the commute.

By *ikerswingCouple  over a year ago

mcr

ive had a cbr600f for 6 years now with 52k on the clock i used to use it all year for the work commute and weekend fun .comfy and keeps up with most sports bikes deceptivly quick with 118bhp under you and a bannana seat for pilly comfort.she is long in the tooth now being a 2000 model but i wont part with her .

By *pikeyMan  over a year ago

chester

Am currently rocking a Honda cbr1000f for commuting and is a dream to ride and I can't fault it, plenty of power for a old bike classic insurance too and becoming a classic too

[Removed by poster at 23/09/19 13:29:01]

Kawasaki Ninja 650, over 70mpg on my 32 mile round trip.

By *rincess and her FrogCouple  over a year ago

congleton

I have a Mk1 Fazer which is great, I use it in all weathers and use it regularly going up the M6 to Preston and also commuting into Manchester. Never misses a beat and a comfortable seat and riding position. The headlamp at night (as previously mentioned) is a bit naff, but a good candle will help

By *ableboyMan  over a year ago

Stockton

Depends on distance and the like, round town I'd prob go er650 or something like that, bit more distance a hornet or phaser would be the weapon for the job

Got knocked off my 650 by a van so i up graded..then my first 1250 got nicked..now on my second...lol...

"I have a Mk1 Fazer which is great, I use it in all weathers and use it regularly going up the M6 to Preston and also commuting into Manchester. Never misses a beat and a comfortable seat and riding position. The headlamp at night (as previously mentioned) is a bit naff, but a good candle will help"

I had a mk1 when i first passed my test did 11000 miles in the first year on it from going to work to going to race meets and out with mates. Took it one year to brands hatch for world super bike the knochill for British super bikes.

Great bike for doing miles on

congleton

"I have a Mk1 Fazer which is great, I use it in all weathers and use it regularly going up the M6 to Preston and also commuting into Manchester. Never misses a beat and a comfortable seat and riding position. The headlamp at night (as previously mentioned) is a bit naff, but a good candle will help

I had a mk1 when i first passed my test did 11000 miles in the first year on it from going to work to going to race meets and out with mates. Took it one year to brands hatch for world super bike the knochill for British super bikes.

Great bike for doing miles on "

Doing about 1000 miles a month on mine at the moment, replaced my chain and sprockets yesterday, waiting for my brake pads to be delivered and I’ll pop those in when they arrive then I guess some tyres for winter will be next

I broke a chain once on mine and took abit out off the water pump caused me £150 for a new one

congleton

"I broke a chain once on mine and took abit out off the water pump caused me £150 for a new one"

Only had that happen to me once on a 125 and it was literally about 100yrds from the house when it went. Took me about 4 hours to walk to the nearest bike spares place and back to get a new chain and sprocket set for it.

Mine happened the day i was going to the bike shop to get them.

By *reenlanerCouple  over a year ago

bournemouth

I’ve got a Kawasaki H2

But commute on a Burgman 400 scooter

Keeps my h2 clean

Great weather protection enough power and economical

By *magine all the peopleCouple  over a year ago

Perth

"I’ve got a Kawasaki H2

But commute on a Burgman 400 scooter

Keeps my h2 clean

Great weather protection enough power and economical "

I had a burgman 400. Fantastic bike!

Sadly my son pranged it on ice and made it into a McDonald's toy... Happily he bounced, while the scooter fell to bits.

Great value, until you drop them

By *ark-Nat 2016Couple  over a year ago

cheshire

YZF600R commuter for me (Mark)

Nippy little bugger

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

BMW R1100 R when the mood takes me to commute on it.

Couple of other bikes for lazy day rides.

» Add a new message to this topic