FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Rose tinted glasses

Rose tinted glasses

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I like older bikes, 80's and 90's stuff... Is it just me, but do they have more style and soul than modern bikes... OK they maybe not as good as modern bikes. But do they make up for that with being more than just a some of there parts... Or am I just dreaming about 500GP bikes too much.... Lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I love the naked bikes. I love to see the finned cylinders, carburettors, and all the pipes, cables and frame. The plastic encased bikes do nothing for me.

I love old bikes, as a kid I used to go on the back of my Dads Velly Venom and I thought it was ace.

I had lots of strokers in the mid to late eighties and at the time they where ace too.

Now though, they're just nice to look at, I just couldn't be arsed with the faff of owning one.

With older bikes, the 'character' would be the fact you had to adjust your riding technique for each individual machine and took a lot more input to ride aggressively.

About the only thing you could adjust for handling was the tyre pressures, lol

"With older bikes, the 'character' would be the fact you had to adjust your riding technique for each individual machine and took a lot more input to ride aggressively.

About the only thing you could adjust for handling was the tyre pressures, lol"

I enjoy my modern rocket ship for its ability to handle anything and 'just work'.

But.... I love my old triumph despite its cranky temperament, it's hatred of anything resembling rain and, relatively, poor handling. I would never get rid of it

"I enjoy my modern rocket ship for its ability to handle anything and 'just work'.

But.... I love my old triumph despite its cranky temperament, it's hatred of anything resembling rain and, relatively, poor handling. I would never get rid of it "

Exactly..

By *uckcherryCouple  over a year ago

hull

Both our bikes are 90's bikes, both still on carbs, both naked, and one of them definitely keeps up, and even embarrass's some of the modern plastic torpedo's...

"Both our bikes are 90's bikes, both still on carbs, both naked, and one of them definitely keeps up, and even embarrass's some of the modern plastic torpedo's... "

Nice... What do you ride?

hull

Bandit 12 Mk1, just slightly modified, wink wink... Lol

And just recently acquired a virago 1100, just for Sundays, or when the inner hooligan needs to be tamed...

"Bandit 12 Mk1, just slightly modified, wink wink... Lol

And just recently acquired a virago 1100, just for Sundays, or when the inner hooligan needs to be tamed... "

Nice, bandits are great to mod.. I have a few on my Suzi..

Anyone remember old Yamaha fs1e nickname "fizzy".was a local teens dream to own one back in the day (70s)

hull

Fizzy's were too slow, suzuki ap50 was the one to have, unless you were loaded, then it was a garelli tiger...

I started off with a Honda C70, as my first year apprentice money didn’t stretch too anything more exotic. But then, behold a pay rise for my second year and I got a Suzuki GT125, and I thought I was a biking God. Yep, the mid to late 80s was a great time.

"I started off with a Honda C70, as my first year apprentice money didn’t stretch too anything more exotic. But then, behold a pay rise for my second year and I got a Suzuki GT125, and I thought I was a biking God. Yep, the mid to late 80s was a great time. "

Nice

By *teph n domCouple  over a year ago

Peterlee

2 bandits (both modified) and a 1982 CB900f (standard)

"2 bandits (both modified) and a 1982 CB900f (standard) "

I have a 98 speedtriple

Love the look off it and it does everything i need .

By *reenlanerCouple  over a year ago

bournemouth

We have the best of both worlds 70s and 80s bikes but new bikes as well

"We have the best of both worlds 70s and 80s bikes but new bikes as well "

By *ubbles12312Couple  over a year ago

stockport

10 plate xjr1300 all the old school looks with modern brakes and electrics

By *hezzie BikersCouple  over a year ago

Chesterfield

"10 plate xjr1300 all the old school looks with modern brakes and electrics "

We had one of these loved it so comfy

I think 80,s & 90,s bikes have far more style and class than the latest bikes just look at the rc30 or the 45, zxr 400/750.

"I think 80,s & 90,s bikes have far more style and class than the latest bikes just look at the rc30 or the 45, zxr 400/750. "

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

Can't stand new bikes. I walk around the Triumph, Harley and BMW showrooms and nothing attracts my eye.

The new, drastic plastic adventure types in particular make me shudder. Electronic gizmos and impenetrable plastic to dissuade even simple maintenance.

I still have my 98 BMW R1100 and the Honda Superfour which took me around Europe twice when still a kid. Stripping drive assemblies at the side of the road and swapping out breaks in a leaky tent. All part of the adventure and practically impossible on the new bikes.

I wish I'd kept my first Bandit 600.

"Can't stand new bikes. I walk around the Triumph, Harley and BMW showrooms and nothing attracts my eye.

The new, drastic plastic adventure types in particular make me shudder. Electronic gizmos and impenetrable plastic to dissuade even simple maintenance.

I still have my 98 BMW R1100 and the Honda Superfour which took me around Europe twice when still a kid. Stripping drive assemblies at the side of the road and swapping out breaks in a leaky tent. All part of the adventure and practically impossible on the new bikes.

I wish I'd kept my first Bandit 600."

Bandits are for life, not just for Christmas..

By *iquidsilkCouple  over a year ago

Fife

[Removed by poster at 03/10/19 15:47:37]

By *iquidsilkCouple  over a year ago

Fife

"I have a 98 speedtriple

Love the look off it and it does everything i need ."

Agreed! I have a stock 96 Speed Triple in black. Love it to bits

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Old bike makes sense, if anything I can get more parts for my bike despite being over 40 years old than you can for a 5 year old modern bike, just ask a Ducati dealer. Modern materials, radial tyres, etc

Austria and back last year and over 10K miles in the winter months. And if on the rare occasion if fails at the roadside there is a good chance it can be fixed to get home.

Totally agree. Last year I actively sought a 90's sports bike. Modern ones I appreciate are faster, lighter and more advanced but they lack a soul.

I eventually found a black/grey 96 Thunderace YZF1000 R which was immaculate and only showing 11000 miles. Standard apart from a scorpion pipe and angel eye headlights and LED's all round. It's still quick enough to be exciting, has a back seat that's usable.

"Totally agree. Last year I actively sought a 90's sports bike. Modern ones I appreciate are faster, lighter and more advanced but they lack a soul.

I eventually found a black/grey 96 Thunderace YZF1000 R which was immaculate and only showing 11000 miles. Standard apart from a scorpion pipe and angel eye headlights and LED's all round. It's still quick enough to be exciting, has a back seat that's usable. "

Nice

» Add a new message to this topic