FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Cut or full test

Cut or full test

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustfun 1984 OP   Man  over a year ago

exeter

But of help needed I'm looking to get on to two wheels but do I go 125 route first then on to full bike licence or just jump right in ???????

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Up to you if you never ridden bikes then go the 125 route. But if you have and feel confident then go direct access route

By *eeper1Man  over a year ago

glasgow

You will need to pass your CBT first which will involve riding 125s once you have done that you can either carry on riding 125s with L plates on , or you could go straight to your full direct access .

I would advise just getting your big boy license .

Take your time and gain experience

By *rinceceCouple  over a year ago

ESSEX

I done 125cc for half year before go on big bike. Is good practice

125 first for a good while and get some road sense and experience under your belt then do direct access. Go straight for DA and you’ll end up a donor.

Everyone has to do it so don’t feel peer pressured to running before you can crawl.

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

Do DAS but be sensible about your first bike. An unrestricted license does not mean that you must ride a litre superbike.

Remember passing your test is not learning all there is to know about riding. Spending too long on a 125 without instruction could be good for confidence and road sense, or it could just help set bad habits in place which will be more difficult to break come the time you want to sit your DAS. One guy I did lessons with was a nightmare for the instructor as he had never ridden on the road even though he had 20 years motocross racing experience. His bike handling was perfect but his observation was off and he was too used to sitting too close to other vehicles.

That said, it also depends whether you have looked at intensive training or individual lessons. If you're doing a week of training with your test at the end of it then go straight for DAS, if you plan on doing 1 lesson a week for the next 2 months then get a 125 to practice between lessons.

Also, 125 bikes do hold value, a 2nd hand jap bike will sell in 6 months for the same as you buy it for now, so if you have the money you are unlikely to lose out by getting one.

Looking back at what I've written, I don't even know what advice I'm giving, seems I'm arguing both sides with myself!

» Add a new message to this topic