FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Winter riding

Winter riding

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *im Zee OP   Man  over a year ago

staffs/chesh

As the cold months approach I’m looking to improve my comfort when riding so was wondering if any of you good folks would recommend any particular make of hot grips or would you go down the route of heated gloves?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *elson61Man  over a year ago

WELWYN GARDEN CITY

They don't look great but handlebar muffs work very well in the colder weather.

staffs/chesh

Now I’d heard they didn’t really do anything so that’s interesting

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Whoever invents something to keep your digits warm on a winter ride - effectively - will be a billionaire. It’s the Holy Grail of biking. That said, I’ve tried winter gloves, heated gloves, long gloves, short gloves and the ones that are useable are the ones I use all year, pair of Harley Short gloves. Wrist gets cold but other than that they’re pretty decent all year and into year three and not so much as a burst stitch.

staffs/chesh

I must admit, the gloves I have are pretty good but I’m doing more motorway miles than I was before and have noticed a difference, especially when it persists it down

By *xyBs2022Couple  over a year ago

Lancs

"As the cold months approach I’m looking to improve my comfort when riding so was wondering if any of you good folks would recommend any particular make of hot grips or would you go down the route of heated gloves?"

Keis do heated liners that go under your normal gloves that we can highly recommend, you can either run them of a lithium battery, very small and light and lasts about 4 hours or wire a socket onto your bike battery which takes about 5 mins to do and is what we do now, it comes with the gloves so no extra cost, Ju has ridden all day with them on during winter without draining her bike battery

WELWYN GARDEN CITY

"Now I’d heard they didn’t really do anything so that’s interesting"

In my personal experience they work very well. I fitted a set to my R1200GS which has factory fitted heated grips, but the heated grips were not that good (a known problem on early water cooled GS's). But fitting the muffs meant I could feel the heat through the grips much more as the muffs were keeping the air off my hands and the grips so I felt the benefit and they were worthwhile.

I have tried them on my S1000XR as well with good results, and I hope to get the same results when I fit them to my KTM 1290 Super Adventure.

staffs/chesh

They could be worth having a look at as I’d be able to use different bikes, I’ll have a look at them thank you

staffs/chesh

"Now I’d heard they didn’t really do anything so that’s interesting

In my personal experience they work very well. I fitted a set to my R1200GS which has factory fitted heated grips, but the heated grips were not that good (a known problem on early water cooled GS's). But fitting the muffs meant I could feel the heat through the grips much more as the muffs were keeping the air off my hands and the grips so I felt the benefit and they were worthwhile.

I have tried them on my S1000XR as well with good results, and I hope to get the same results when I fit them to my KTM 1290 Super Adventure."

So best to use in conjunction with heated grips then rather than on their own

WELWYN GARDEN CITY

"

So best to use in conjunction with heated grips then rather than on their own"

Yes, in my experience I would say so. They do work well on their own but for the colder days the grips do help. The other thing that helps is making sure your core is warm before you get on the bike. If you are already cold before putting your bike gear on, the clothing will not raise your core temperature. Putting gloves on the radiator for 10-15 minutes before you set off also helps.

staffs/chesh

Thanks Nelson, I’ll put my jacket and stuff somewhere warmer as they are usually stored in a cold cupboard with no heating inside it so that might help too

I've got Oxford heated grips on my Honda, they work well but I prefer not to use them, kill the battery.

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

"I've got Oxford heated grips on my Honda, they work well but I prefer not to use them, kill the battery."

They shouldn't do that. Most bikes ought to be able to put out enough extra power for grips. Is your alternator buggered?

By *nglishdoodMan  over a year ago

Morristown

I have a Kies heated vest and so far it hasn't been above the medium setting even in 5/6c weather. It feels really good. I have it wired to the bike, but I got the battery pack too which is really nice for other outdoor activities.

I bought the glove liners too, but the double cuff of my Rukka jacket makes the cable routing awkward. I also think it takes away too much feel from the grips using them with winter gloves. The bikes heated grips and some brilliant Held Twin gloves are fine for a few hours riding.

staffs/chesh

Thanks guys, plenty for me to be looking at over the next few weeks

Heated grip oxford

Work well on bigger bikes

Didnt work very well on a 125

Only when i was flat out on long roads did i feel any heat

And i had hadle bar muffs perfect for keeping your gloves dry

Which helps keep them warmer

I’ve got oxford grips

On my fazer and tica winter gloves worked great for me last year and I was out in rain hail sleet and snow doing my lessons and tests, it’s my thumbs however that feel the cold the most and my toes but they go blue and numb all time so ideally need toe warmers lol but can have too much pressure on my toes that’s my

Biggest gripe I tend to struggle

To regulate my body temperature because I have fibro

By *ableboyMan  over a year ago

Stockton

Good pair of bike gloves and some silk under gloves, they did trick for me, went to work through snow and all sorts and hands were toasty warm and no heated grips.

By *eauville69Man  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

I have a heated waistcoat that runs off a portable mobile phone charger. It's best bit of kit I've bought as use bike all year round.

By *osombuddyCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

As well as oxford grips I have fitted brush guards in the past taking the wind blast away makes a big difference

Heated grips only work if they are expensive! They need to deal with wind so need to get hotter when you go faster.

Muffs help to make grips work.

Your blood circulation adds and subtracts heat in a big way. So heating any part of your body will keep the blood warm and that will circulate. Obviously hands and feet lose heat first so the inclination is to heat them. But the best insulation you have is your jacket, so an electric vest is your best bet.

Also dont forget to pick up some diesel gloves when you refuel. They will make your hands hot on the coldest wettest day.

Best advice though is go ride in a hotter country until April

By *ombikerMan  over a year ago

the right side of the river

"As well as oxford grips I have fitted brush guards in the past taking the wind blast away makes a big difference"

This exactly.

I did the same. Just keeping the wind off your fingers is a huge help.

By *ydrewMan  over a year ago

New forest

Just drove mine down for MOT. Sat waiting with coffee to warm my hands. Think need some of these options

By *uzz61954Man  over a year ago

Alton

Can't beat heated clothing, plug into the bike and works brilliantly. Gerbing make high quality kit, also I have a heated waistcoat from keis also works great

By *andDeeCouple  over a year ago

Ashford

Newspapers down the front of jacket and carrier bags over a couple of pairs of socks. Heated grips and muffs.

By *az68Man  over a year ago

WOODBRIDGE

Heated grips from oxford are as good as any and easy to fit yourself max an hour swear by them as look into heated waistcoat I've got one cost me £25 worth every penny runs off a battery pack you use for phone charging has 3 settings awesome

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Heated grips, as someone else said, lever brush guards help keep the cold wind if your hands.

I found heated gloves a pain.

staffs/chesh

Looking at grips but I’m not sure If I need to go for touring or sports no difference in cost so I’m guessing it’s just power output?

New forest

I got muffs other day. Look crap but did make a difference

By *aggismuncher69Man  over a year ago

Johnstone

Heated grips and heated gloves for me - need both. I wasn't that impressed with Gerbing gloves - expensive and only "keep the worst off" rather than being "hot to burning" as expected - guess I must have hands that only feel the cold!

Alpinestars Andes jacket and trousers are good. TCX Infinity boots are 100% waterproof - tried and tested!

By *oopaandchampersCouple  over a year ago

St Johns

Wet green leafy roads is not my thing ..my toys are in my dry workshop till March ..total soft arse i admit.

New forest

Was lovely sunny day down south today. Chilly but a good ride out

By *eardyBikerMan  over a year ago

nr stonehaven

I'd say grips rather than having g to remember to charge up your gloves or whatever...

By *oneybadger67Man  over a year ago

Near there

Oxford grips silk glove liners and get the silk boot liners too cosy..

By *cd and scruffCouple  over a year ago

Rochester

Heated grips need muffs to keep the wind off. I use TUCANO URBANO neoprene muffs. They are made for scooters but fit better, are warmer and last longer than motorcycle ones. Less wind too. 70 mile round trip to work every day, all year no probs.

Have found the silk inner gloves make my hands colder.????

this was all way over my head, but a sexy ride with a biker would definitely interest me , k x

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

Thats the one really, heated grips can be too hot sometimes , keep the wind off , no need for the grips

I still think the best bet for winter riding is go somewhere warmer

Have found even sticking a pair of magic gloves under my normal gloves on my other bike work great the ZZR doesn’t have heated grips, hot myself a pair of running tights out of aldi and didn’t need socks on over them and my boots kept me nice and warm, my fazer has a tank bag and noticing a big difference in the crotch area leaning against a cold

Rank think going to have to get big knickers

By *iavelmanMan  over a year ago

Worcester

Decent quality kit and layering is your start point. A thermal base layer and thick socks then add on the mid layer which should keep you insulated. The outer layer should stop the wind and rain getting to you. With bike gear we tend to think that adding in the thermal liner that zips out of most jackets will be enough to keep us warm, it isn't! Leather jackets and trousers won't insulate you so you need to build on them. I had a three hour non stop ride home recently after dark. I wore a thermal base layer, a Keis heated vest, kevlar jeans, a kevlar lined shirt, leather jacket, leather vest, waterproof over trousers, heated gloves and a windstopper neck tube. Early on I was boiling but as time went by the wind chill began to creep in. It is inevitable at some point. My hands are what suffers most even with good gloves, even heated ones, because they are right in the air flow. It's a trade off between feel at the bars and insulation. I have heated grips now to get fitted as well as the heated gloves!

I usually take some man up pills...

(Yes I realized the irony) x

Dunno if it’s just my shite tyres but by fuck are the roads slippy this year. Zero confidence on roundabouts and corners just now. Some of the new road repairs are worse than ice.

» Add a new message to this topic