FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > New Bike Question

New Bike Question

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Evening all, I'm stuck in a conundrum... Currently ride a 125 and have done for about 3 years now on and off covering a few thousand miles (car daily). Going to be doing my DSA test soon and being offered an old, belive 94' fireblade.

Now, I'm a sensible rider however it's about a 50/50 split as to what people are suggesting. Half tell me don't be an idiot, get a new 400-600, other half say go for it just don't ride like a tit.

Basically has anyone owned one and how much are they to handle (weekend ride outs and occasional touring, not racing or b roading) compared to new 600s?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Get it done! Can make a fast bike go slow, cant make a slow bike go fast. Just dont be a fucking idiot and you'll never regret it.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

I had a 99 fireblade, best bike I have had for all round ability. It went like a rocket and I could pack all my camping gear on it and go to a rally. Just be sensible and ride it to your ability. Don't get sucked in by others and try to ride it like a more experienced rider. Better still after your test go get some advanced training. Mrs F did this when she moved up to her Kawasaki Z1000 best thing she ever did she says. The road craft they teach you is so valuable when you are out there on the road on that amazing Fireblade if you go for it. You WILL love it

Get a car , simple, lol

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Get it bought, after you’ve got some insurance quotes obviously.

In truth all you have to remember is a good rider on an average bike will usually be quicker & safer than an average rider on a good bike.

So just because your on a blade doesn’t mean you should try and keep up with Mr (ridden all his life) on a 500 commuter.

S

By *mallGuyWestMidsMan  over a year ago

Stourbridge

I passed my Dsa in July and bought a 1990 Cbr600f it's a great bike and I'm still using it daily. Insurance is dirt cheap £140. As for power it will only go as fast as you want it to. Get it bought mate and enjoy it.

By *B1000Couple  over a year ago

North Lakes and Manchester

Had a 92 blade in black, loved it and should have kept it as now an escalating classic, only caution would be the riding position is heavy on wrists and 16” wheel on 92 made handling quick and twitchy resulting in a few tank slappers even with a damper, but heat was only when pushing it to be fair, can’t remember when they went to 17” wheel but believe that improved things a lot. Think my advice as a new rider would be to take a look at a VFR, a true all rounder

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

I'd be more concerned with the condition of the bike. There are a lot of badly botched sportsbikes out there.

Seeking some advanced training is sound advice , regardless of what bike you progress to. Even a few track days will help teach you how the more powerful bike will handle under greater acceleration and power.

You're fooling yourself if you believe that you can refraim from opening it up. The power is there, begging to be used and you've been coping with a weak 125 for 3 years. You'll push it, regardless of what bike you get. We all do.

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"I'd be more concerned with the condition of the bike. There are a lot of badly botched sportsbikes out there.

Seeking some advanced training is sound advice , regardless of what bike you progress to. Even a few track days will help teach you how the more powerful bike will handle under greater acceleration and power.

You're fooling yourself if you believe that you can refraim from opening it up. The power is there, begging to be used and you've been coping with a weak 125 for 3 years. You'll push it, regardless of what bike you get. We all do."

Even IAM encourage the track days, they arrange many during the year as part of keeping up with the skills. Bet not many realised Institute of Advanced Motorcyclist arranged track days. It really is worth doing.

Tha ks all for the advice, I have two cars one a track toy and other a daily drive and if I ever get the urge to 'go fast' its done on the track.

Believe it to be a 16inch wheel so will take advice on the damper and get one fitted if I get the bike... Close to bitting the bullet and buying it, if its too much for what I want I can always sell it and buy a 500/600, thanks all.

"I'd be more concerned with the condition of the bike. There are a lot of badly botched sportsbikes out there.

You're fooling yourself if you believe that you can refraim from opening it up. The power is there, begging to be used and you've been coping with a weak 125 for 3 years. You'll push it, regardless of what bike you get. We all do."

Correctamundo

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

I disagree, you can make any bike go fast, question is can you make it stop! , thing is , you make mistakes , conditions, other vehicles , unfamiliar roads, and adrenalin all will conspire to leave you in a spot of difficulty, but you can have as much fun on a bike with decent brakes suspension and steering as any rocketship! Just temper your enthusiasm with a realistic understanding that however fast the bike goes , you still have to steer and stop it .

Worry less about the bike and more about the survival skills. I cannot recommend some form of advanced training enough

As others have said, the throttle is in your hands, don't abuse it and don't put yourself into a situation without having a good, safe riding plan.

IAM and RoSPA do advanced courses as well as a number of training schools. Look them up and enjoy your riding career.

Best

Get any bike you like. Ride it to your skill level and you should be fine. Get the feel of your new bike and gradually build up your confidence on it.

By *outhessex14Man  over a year ago

basildon

Get what ever you want! Just control your right hand and go easy and build up the confidence, I started on a 600 bandit so wasn't fast but a good start

"I disagree, you can make any bike go fast, question is can you make it stop! , thing is , you make mistakes , conditions, other vehicles , unfamiliar roads, and adrenalin all will conspire to leave you in a spot of difficulty, but you can have as much fun on a bike with decent brakes suspension and steering as any rocketship! Just temper your enthusiasm with a realistic understanding that however fast the bike goes , you still have to steer and stop it . "

Good advice.

It is abit of a jump from a wee 125 to the blade it is a dead cert that you get carried away and could end up in bother. I went up 80cc,100,125,250's,400's,600's,then to a few blades. Also whatever bike that you do get factor in getting the suspension refreshed and set up for yourself, brakes and tyres. I loved my blades and if you get it I'm sure you will to.

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

OP when I first passed my test I went straight to my local dealership (Jim Allen) and bought a R1.

If you feel confident enough that you could handle a litre capacity sports bike then go for it.

If anything it made me far more aware and cautious on the road as I was always afraid i would bin it.

Nowadays most 600's are pumping out easily 120bhp and above which is more than adequate to propel you into a world of hurt.

Do what you feel is right for you as everyone's riding perceptions are different.

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

If its mostly for commuting I wouldn't get a sports bike. Either a naked or if you want a bit of weather protection fit a screen or get a bike with a fairing.

Any Japanese 600 or 650 would be ideal I think. I don't think age matters as long as the bike looks like like it's been cared for. For what it's worth, I do more miles on a 1992 Transalp XL600. It looks horrible but it has a huge fairing, heated grips and is quite comfortable and very reliable.

Most of all though is to enjoy riding the bike.

By *AVE AND MANDYCouple  over a year ago

near jaen spain not east midlands

"Get it done! Can make a fast bike go slow, cant make a slow bike go fast. Just dont be a fucking idiot and you'll never regret it. "

Perfect answer

By *ableboyMan  over a year ago

Stockton

I'd prob recomend a commuter 600 (fazer or hornet etc) till you get the bad weather out the way then go from there. Pointless jumping on a blade or something equally as big thos time of year as your bound to skip off it, smash all the fairing up and sicken yourself. Plus smaller bike will be easier to handle and build your confidence.

Just my thoughts....but what so I know..

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

"Tha ks all for the advice, I have two cars one a track toy and other a daily drive and if I ever get the urge to 'go fast' its done on the track.

Believe it to be a 16inch wheel so will take advice on the damper and get one fitted if I get the bike... Close to bitting the bullet and buying it, if its too much for what I want I can always sell it and buy a 500/600, thanks all. "

I have a couple of mates bikes here atm while they are away an MT07 Tracer and an XSR900. The Tracer is a nice bike but the XSR is a NICE bike!!

S

"I had a 99 fireblade, best bike I have had for all round ability. It went like a rocket and I could pack all my camping gear on it and go to a rally. Just be sensible and ride it to your ability. Don't get sucked in by others and try to ride it like a more experienced rider. Better still after your test go get some advanced training. Mrs F did this when she moved up to her Kawasaki Z1000 best thing she ever did she says. The road craft they teach you is so valuable when you are out there on the road on that amazing Fireblade if you go for it. You WILL love it "

Great advice

Thanks all, spoke to the guy on my road and have agreed to go view the bike (kept in his lockup elsewhere) as I want to make sure what year it is and then give it a small test ride to see if I like it.

"Thanks all, spoke to the guy on my road and have agreed to go view the bike (kept in his lockup elsewhere) as I want to make sure what year it is and then give it a small test ride to see if I like it. "

can I ask why you are considering a 94 blade or a "new" 600

what price are you thinking of forking out?

ride the 94 blade, then road test an R6

there are many bikes worth considering all depending on price

you would be better naming the price you are willing to pay out then ask for recommendations.

a few thousand miles in 3 years is not a lot of miles.

wish I could give you advise but need more specific information from you

» Add a new message to this topic