FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Biking and camping

Biking and camping

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ydrew OP   Man  over a year ago

New forest

Does anyone head off camping on there bike. What kit do you take?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By * and BCouple  over a year ago

Durham

"Does anyone head off camping on there bike. What kit do you take?"

We used to go camping at Bike rallies nearly every other weekend. If you are buying kit always go for the best you can afford and never go cheap. Going cheap will just give you an awful camping experience. Make sure you strap it all on your bike well as if its not secure it will end up in your back wheel and that won't end well

By *ydrew OP   Man  over a year ago

New forest

I go a lot was just curious what others use.

Durham

"I go a lot was just curious what others use."

We have a lot too. We now don't do rallies so most of it doesn't get used anymore.

By *hromosexualsCouple  over a year ago

Near Abercynon

Yes, quite a fan of heading off to Europe and staying at unplanned campsites. The first couple of times I/we made the mistake of taking too much gear. These days, a fairly small tent, 2 self inflating mats and two sleeping bags is all we take really.

This summer we will tour on two bikes rather than one, so may take a bit more stuff.

Durham

"Yes, quite a fan of heading off to Europe and staying at unplanned campsites. The first couple of times I/we made the mistake of taking too much gear. These days, a fairly small tent, 2 self inflating mats and two sleeping bags is all we take really.

This summer we will tour on two bikes rather than one, so may take a bit more stuff."

Love going into Europe with unplanned campsites with tent strapped on the bike. We tend to do a bit of both, BnB and camping. Probably more camping to be honest

Near Abercynon

"

Love going into Europe with unplanned campsites with tent strapped on the bike. We tend to do a bit of both, BnB and camping. Probably more camping to be honest "

That’s what we do too, either books something last minute on booking.com or just head to the nearest campsite on google maps, we never really plan in advance.

Planning to ride to Munich on may to see Guns ‘n Roses, will take two cruisers and a tent

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

would love to go camping with either of my bikes but neither of my bikes are any use for carrying

so its B&B unless someone is kind enough to share a tent

Near Abercynon

"would love to go camping with either of my bikes but neither of my bikes are any use for carrying

so its B&B unless someone is kind enough to share a tent"

And you can’t take those dogs... We have a similar problem (and similar dog)

I live in France and camp quite often having packed all my gear on my bike.

There is a lot of ultra-lite camping equipment available these days and quick to erect tents (excuse the pun) so no need to be uncomfortable.

Most campsite have plenty of space out of season and are relatively cheap however; during the school holidays, it is best to plan ahead.

Durham

"

Love going into Europe with unplanned campsites with tent strapped on the bike. We tend to do a bit of both, BnB and camping. Probably more camping to be honest

That’s what we do too, either books something last minute on booking.com or just head to the nearest campsite on google maps, we never really plan in advance.

Planning to ride to Munich on may to see Guns ‘n Roses, will take two cruisers and a tent "

That will be a great trip

As a seasoned wild camper of 30 years ( with Landrover) and planning my first trip on my Harley Davidson MT350 this is a thread of great interest. I plan using a Vango mk3 tent, my ex army sleeping bag and inflatable roll mat as a minimum. Cooking on a petrol Coleman 533 stove ( commonality of fuel with the bike) with a set of aluminium pans. Taking a basha/ poncho and poles for a shelter. One set of bike clothing and something comfy to wear around the camp. YouTube videos are a great source of advice to see how seasoned biker travellers par their kit right down.

Near Abercynon

"As a seasoned wild camper of 30 years ( with Landrover) and planning my first trip on my Harley Davidson MT350 this is a thread of great interest. I plan using a Vango mk3 tent, my ex army sleeping bag and inflatable roll mat as a minimum. Cooking on a petrol Coleman 533 stove ( commonality of fuel with the bike) with a set of aluminium pans. Taking a basha/ poncho and poles for a shelter. One set of bike clothing and something comfy to wear around the camp. YouTube videos are a great source of advice to see how seasoned biker travellers par their kit right down. "

I ditched the cooking gear as I found I didn’t really use it, I would eat on the road and then retire to the tent at night with a beer... up and away again in the morning.

The mistake I always make is too many miles in too few days, probably always will

By *riumph bonnevilleMan  over a year ago

canterbury

been touring for a fair few years,esp in northern europe ,if you need a campsite or wanna just have a weekend away to try european touring drop me a message and will get back to you as have tried most of the campsites in that area

I take very little in the way of cooking utensils- a stove, collapsible kettle and a cup. I like a cup of coffee in the morning.

All else, I buy en route often making sandwiches.

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

I regularly use my scooter as transport for wild camping trips. My kit varies a lot on the location and weather. I usually carry either a DD hammocks 3 x 3 or my Simple Light Designs, Winter Haven tarp dependant on the expected weather but when the weather is really good I sometimes skip the tarp entirely. My sleeping system options are either a camping hammock with down top and under quilts or a breathable bivvy bag with inflatable ground mat and down sleeping bag. Cooking is normally done in a mug on a gas stove as I try and keep to the principles of leave no trace camping as far as possible.

The other mandatory bit of kit for me is my Leverpresso manual espresso maker so I can at least have a good coffee first thing in the morning.

By *andDeeCouple  over a year ago

Ashford

Been doing bike rallies for years. Other than the usual tent and sleeping bag, we have a couple of fold up stools and after buying many inflatable mattresses that deflate in the night, we found camp beds the best. They are off the cold ground too. Unfortunately spooning isn’t possible, but doggy position works best, even if we’ve broken a few. Been times we’ve thrown them to the side or out of the door to give us more room though.

I agree with you about the camp beds - definitely not designed for nocturnal activities...

Comfortable to sleep on though

» Add a new message to this topic