FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > Royal Enfield Himalayan ...

Royal Enfield Himalayan ...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

I think i NEED one! Anyone have a good reason why i don't?!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My friend has one and he loves it. Says he wouldnd swap it for anything else.

Because the 650s are nicer bikes.

By *ariemike11Couple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

We did India trip Himalayan mountains through Kashmir. Best trip ever 11 days on RE Himalayan. First day though what a pice of junk. Second day warming to it third day loved it.

Sure footed feet on the ground never missed a beat. Plugged through mud and swollen streams. Great for green laning.

Fast and powerful would have got us in trouble.

But as regards engine power perfect for India but UK you might be underwhelmed by its 24 horsepower. So get a demonstration bike out first.

salisbury

"We did India trip Himalayan mountains through Kashmir. Best trip ever 11 days on RE Himalayan. First day though what a pice of junk. Second day warming to it third day loved it.

Sure footed feet on the ground never missed a beat. Plugged through mud and swollen streams. Great for green laning.

But as regards engine power perfect for India but UK you might be underwhelmed by its 24 horsepower. So get a demonstration bike out first. "

That sounds great! I love the "survive armageddon" styling, for me it would be commuting and pottering around Salisbury plain.

Those ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT's (650) look awesome, but not the kind of bike I'm looking for.

"We did India trip Himalayan mountains through Kashmir. Best trip ever 11 days on RE Himalayan. First day though what a pice of junk. Second day warming to it third day loved it.

But as regards engine power perfect for India but UK you might be underwhelmed by its 24 horsepower. So get a demonstration bike out first.

That sounds great! I love the "survive armageddon" styling, for me it would be commuting and pottering around Salisbury plain.

Those ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT's (650) look awesome, but not the kind of bike I'm looking for. "

I’m a sports bike rider through and through. But the gt’s are really floating my boar.

By *entleman4MMFMan  over a year ago

Newcastle Upon Tyne

But as regards engine power perfect for India but UK you might be underwhelmed by its 24 horsepower. So get a demonstration bike out first. "

That sounds fantastic

Aberdeenshire

There were rumours about having a 650 RE Himalayan!

Same engine as Interceptor.

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Ive been to India 3 times and the driving in the cities scares me

salisbury

You need follow this amazing girl riding around the world on one!

https://youtu.be/BsdKwqc1040

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Did you get any good pics from the trip. It sounds a fascinating trip

Aberdeenshire

Yip plenty pics!!

We also went over Highest Drivable mountain pass at 5300 meters just under 18000 feet.

Our ability to walk very far was hindered by lack of oxygen also the 24 hp of Himalayan was about 12 hp!!

Aberdeenshire

Dr Harry once you drive along with them you get like them organised chaos. Average speeds are fairly low and buses n lorry’s have priority so you might find a bus coming round corner on wrong side of road. Busy junctions are hilarious.

Himalayan tackles it fine.

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"Dr Harry once you drive along with them you get like them organised chaos. Average speeds are fairly low and buses n lorry’s have priority so you might find a bus coming round corner on wrong side of road. Busy junctions are hilarious.

Himalayan tackles it fine. "

Thank you. I can feel an adventure coming on. Seems like the holiday if s lifetime. I had a bandit 600 but hated it in motorways, loved it round town

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"Dr Harry once you drive along with them you get like them organised chaos. Average speeds are fairly low and buses n lorry’s have priority so you might find a bus coming round corner on wrong side of road. Busy junctions are hilarious.

Himalayan tackles it fine. "

I hired a 500cc Bullet in 98 in Goa

Aberdeenshire

Ride expeditions the company to check out.

Newcastle Upon Tyne

I am so fed up. When this CV19 is over I may buy one ftom the factory in Chennai and ride it back

salisbury

Did you check out "itchy boots"?

Aberdeenshire

[Removed by poster at 23/03/20 16:34:19]

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"Did you check out "itchy boots"?

"

Yes thanks. I want to ride one back from India

salisbury

"Did you check out "itchy boots"?

Yes thanks. I want to ride one back from India"

Amazing woman. Great stories. But very hard to get the bike registered in Europe. Royal Enfield gave her a new one as a swap!

On Sunday, on what seemed to be everyone's last day of freedom there must have been three hundred bikes past my door ( a very popular route )

One that stood out was a Royal Enfield (Indian) that just putt putted past.

It sounded lovely and laid back

salisbury

"On Sunday, on what seemed to be everyone's last day of freedom there must have been three hundred bikes past my door ( a very popular route )

One that stood out was a Royal Enfield (Indian) that just putt putted past.

It sounded lovely and laid back"

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Registration in the UK could be a problem

salisbury

"Registration in the UK could be a problem"

Agreed, itchy boots was lucky to get the bike swap!

Newcastle Upon Tyne

400cc or 650?

By *ondonerMan  over a year ago

London / Essex borders

As stated before, I can see they have their place, but anywhere vaguely busy in UK roads is not it!

Fell in love with it at the bike show on launch, nagged my local dealer for them to get a demo in, and finally got the call. Looks are stunning, price is great, but once out on the road it felt dangerously under powered at junctions and on dual carriage ways. The gearbox is like stiring a box of spanners, and the front brake felt like it was off a mountain bike it was so vague.

Now a 650, with better brakes might sway me, but for now I'm parking it in, not for me.

Take one for a spin on roads you know and will ride, and make your own mind up, as its horses for courses etc.

salisbury

"400cc or 650?"

There is no 650 yet.

I think those that expect Africa Twin performance from the RE Himalayan are missing the point. They offer a completely different ride where speed and performance isn’t the issue. I’ve been looking at them for ages at Millenium Motorcycles in St Helens but the RE is too similar to my Ex Army MT350 to justify one. I opted to treat myself to a 16 plate Triumph scrambler which whilst not completely unlike the Himalayan is different enough from my other bikes to enjoy taking it out.

By *ydrewMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth

I prefer the triumph explorer

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"I think those that expect Africa Twin performance from the RE Himalayan are missing the point. They offer a completely different ride where speed and performance isn’t the issue. I’ve been looking at them for ages at Millenium Motorcycles in St Helens but the RE is too similar to my Ex Army MT350 to justify one. I opted to treat myself to a 16 plate Triumph scrambler which whilst not completely unlike the Himalayan is different enough from my other bikes to enjoy taking it out. "

Is an MT 350 an Armstrong

"I think those that expect Africa Twin performance from the RE Himalayan are missing the point. They offer a completely different ride where speed and performance isn’t the issue. I’ve been looking at them for ages at Millenium Motorcycles in St Helens but the RE is too similar to my Ex Army MT350 to justify one. I opted to treat myself to a 16 plate Triumph scrambler which whilst not completely unlike the Himalayan is different enough from my other bikes to enjoy taking it out.

Is an MT 350 an Armstrong"

Yes basically. Smaller engine ( but with electric start ) as it’s a 350 Rotax not a 500. Disc brakes front and rear and small changes to the electrics. It’s a very heavy but robust motorcycle, think Landrover of the bike world.

I forgot to add the MT 350 was built by Harley Davidson as they bought the rights off Armstrong who built the MT500.

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"I think those that expect Africa Twin performance from the RE Himalayan are missing the point. They offer a completely different ride where speed and performance isn’t the issue. I’ve been looking at them for ages at Millenium Motorcycles in St Helens but the RE is too similar to my Ex Army MT350 to justify one. I opted to treat myself to a 16 plate Triumph scrambler which whilst not completely unlike the Himalayan is different enough from my other bikes to enjoy taking it out.

Yes basically. Smaller engine ( but with electric start ) as it’s a 350 Rotax not a 500. Disc brakes front and rear and small changes to the electrics. It’s a very heavy but robust motorcycle, think Landrover of the bike world. "

Not very reliable or the few we had were not

Yes basically. Smaller engine ( but with electric start ) as it’s a 350 Rotax not a 500. Disc brakes front and rear and small changes to the electrics. It’s a very heavy but robust motorcycle, think Landrover of the bike world.

Not very reliable or the few we had were not"

Beg to differ pal, great bits of kit if well serviced and used within its design parameters. Dirty fuel, lack of use and poor maintenance will produce an unreliable machine of any type.

By *uddy-PuddleMan  over a year ago

newport

Not sure if this thread is still live but picked up my RE Himalayan today. Absolutely love it. Took it for a short spin over the mountain then main roads home.

Not as good as a scrambler off road and not as good as a sports bike on road but managed both scenarios very well. I love it!!

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"Not sure if this thread is still live but picked up my RE Himalayan today. Absolutely love it. Took it for a short spin over the mountain then main roads home.

Not as good as a scrambler off road and not as good as a sports bike on road but managed both scenarios very well. I love it!!"

Any pics?

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Celle, Germany

Im thinking of getting one to do the North Coast 500 for which it sounds perfect, the only thing that concerns me is what will it be like on the 300+ miles of motorway between Wiltshire and the start of the route? I don't fancy playing with trucks in the inside lane.

Aberdeenshire

New higher horsepower coming for new Himalayan’s I believe soon.

Newcastle Upon Tyne

"New higher horsepower coming for new Himalayan’s I believe soon. "

Very interesting

By *hosethere1Man  over a year ago

derry

I’ve heard a few stories of engine problems after a few thousand miles and then the power was just to small for the roads when i took it a test drive. Mate has one now and is in the garage again engine problems

I was keen to buy a new RE Himalayan but after riding one I chose a second hand Triumph Bonneville Scrambler. The decision solely based on the triumphs better suitability for the road miles. If I could afford two bikes I would have a Himalayan as one of them.

» Add a new message to this topic