FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Bikers > My first bike

My first bike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ndrew14 OP   Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I've recently passed my a2 licence and I'm looking at bikes to buy. I really love theook at the Harley Davidson 2020 softail standard, does anyone know if I'd be able to drive it on an a2 license?

Thanks

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I've recently passed my a2 licence and I'm looking at bikes to buy. I really love theook at the Harley Davidson 2020 softail standard, does anyone know if I'd be able to drive it on an a2 license?

Thanks"

At 1764cc I don't think so

Glasgow

"I've recently passed my a2 licence and I'm looking at bikes to buy. I really love theook at the Harley Davidson 2020 softail standard, does anyone know if I'd be able to drive it on an a2 license?

Thanks

At 1764cc I don't think so "

Couldn't I get a restrictor on it?

Think about this.. if you buy a harley Davidson,, then you're stuck with a harley Davidson.... you would be better off buying something good.. lol.

Glasgow

"Think about this.. if you buy a harley Davidson,, then you're stuck with a harley Davidson.... you would be better off buying something good.. lol."

You not a big fan of them ??

By *orWullieMan  over a year ago

Dunoon

Bikes must be under 35kw (47bhp)for an a2 license.

Power to weight ratio must not exceed 0.2kw/kg.

You cannot restrict to less than 50% of the bikes original power output. In reality, this means any bike producing more than 96bhp standard cannot meet the a2 requirements.

I'm not a harley fan, but if you are check out the Sportster 883. I believe it can be a2 restricted. And in 2 years you can choose whether to derestrict and sit your full A licence, keep your a2 and restriction, or sit your A test and sell/trade in for the bike you want. Just remember the depreciation when you're making your choice!

Glasgow

"Bikes must be under 35kw (47bhp)for an a2 license.

You cannot restrict to less than 50% of the bikes original power output. In reality, this means any bike producing more than 96bhp standard cannot meet the a2 requirements.

I'm not a harley fan, but if you are check out the Sportster 883. I believe it can be a2 restricted. And in 2 years you can choose whether to derestrict and sit your full A licence, keep your a2 and restriction, or sit your A test and sell/trade in for the bike you want. Just remember the depreciation when you're making your choice! "

OK, thanks for the help

"Think about this.. if you buy a harley Davidson,, then you're stuck with a harley Davidson.... you would be better off buying something good.. lol."

This ..Lol

Do your proper license. Much better. Then buy what u want.

Glasgow

"Do your proper license. Much better. Then buy what u want. "

You can't do a full license until you're 24 or have had an a2 for 2 years

By *entralscotscpl7Couple  over a year ago

Falkirk

Savage yet to the point.

Harley Davidson's are the like the old Detroit Diesels.

There are a highly efficient way of converting fuel into noise.

How about something from the Triumph Bonneville range? The Scrambler 900 has a 270 degree crank which emulates the HD sound to a tee. I put an Arrow exhaust on mine ( with removable baffle ) I love my Scrambler and as a new rider it suits me perfectly. I understand you can get A2 compliant kits for them.

Just buy something within the range of your license and ride the wheels of it and gain experience and become a decent rider. Then you'll be able to handle and move up to something more powerfull.

"Think about this.. if you buy a harley Davidson,, then you're stuck with a harley Davidson.... you would be better off buying something good.. lol.

Savage yet to the point.

Harley Davidson's are the like the old Detroit Diesels.

There are a highly efficient way of converting fuel into noise.

"

They're also a highly efficient way of not losing money if you should ever sell. Go for a used Harley, personalise it and you'll never lose out.

Thanks"

Ignore the haters and go for it but stay away from stealerships and buy used. My first bike after passing my test is my Sportster Bobber that I got as new with only 7k on the clock. Partner and I tailo_ed it to my height (5'2")and I love it. Partner has had 4 Harleys which he built himself, 4 Brits but only one Jap, which says it all. X

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Bikes must be under 35kw (47bhp)for an a2 license.

I'm not a harley fan, but if you are check out the Sportster 883. I believe it can be a2 restricted. And in 2 years you can choose whether to derestrict and sit your full A licence, keep your a2 and restriction, or sit your A test and sell/trade in for the bike you want. Just remember the depreciation when you're making your choice! "

I am sure fast bikes restricted a hayabusa to the new power levels, it could do over 90 mph but it was road legal.

Try one of the 600 - 750 copies of the bike, then restrict it.

By *edMan  over a year ago

cambridgeshire

were, when I were a lad, first bike was a 50cc sports moped..

Then a 125...

You lot don't know you been born!

Mine was a petite lass called karen lol

First bike a fazer 600

By *asher11Man  over a year ago

market harborough

Garelli rekord not seen one in years ate fizzas for breakfast

By *ornypieCouple  over a year ago

Wirral

Mate had a Harley style bike before he passed his test and sold it within a year as hated it. Not a great bike to learn on naf all ground clearance. Buy a naked bike learn the ropes then when you can test ride one.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"were, when I were a lad, first bike was a 50cc sports moped..

Then a 125...

You lot don't know you been born!"

I missed the 50cc, thank god as being 6 foot tall I would have looked stupid. Unless you look at the DT50, AR50.

Thanks

Couldn't I get a restrictor on it? "

The cost and effort to put it in and then out isn’t worth it.

If you really want to go down the cruiser path then the japs for some good A2 compliant cruisers. Honda rebel is a good one tbf I test rode one a while back and found it nice.

I think there are smaller displacement shadows but not 100%.

As a first bike I wouldn’t even go for a brand new bike because once you’ve passed the full license you’ll want to upgrade asap and it’s less painful to drop an older bike than it is new lol

I’d like to see what you end up buying though

Do you want a cruiser or has to be a Harley?

If not too stuck on it being a HD then you can look for cruisers from the Japanese brands which would be better for an A2 rider. Once you’re on a full license get a Harley. You wouldn’t want one as a first larger cc bike anyway in my opinion because shit always goes wrong and rather a bike that’s easier to work on.

By *ableboyMan  over a year ago

Stockton

Thanks

Couldn't I get a restrictor on it? "

Put a restricter on that and it wouldnt be able to move it's own weight

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

I definitely wouldn't get a Harley as your first bike, there great bikes but they require more love and attention than Japanese bikes.

As others have said get a Japanese custom bike, get used to riding bikes, dealing with traffic, parking it etc. It's not just the power it's the weight, imagine getting yourself in a tight spot, or parking it and then realising that you can't get it out. All this is easier on a smaller bike and all these things only come with experience.

Plus the possibility of dropping it is huge, just wheeling it around even and you would be in deep despair if it happened. With an older cheaper Japanese bike it wouldn't bother you so much.

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

My first bike was a Honda ss50 , which I had for 3 months then a Honda cb 250

My first bike was a fissy . Had all bikes over the years from from fissy to Z1300 now ride a 883 HD .

By *kbull2000Man  over a year ago

Carluke

"Just buy something within the range of your license and ride the wheels of it and gain experience and become a decent rider. Then you'll be able to handle and move up to something more powerfull. "

Excellent advice. Make all your mistakes on a bike that won't break your heart when you drop it, crash it, etc. Acquire the experience and skills before moving on to your dream bike.

» Add a new message to this topic