FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Bivvy bags

Bivvy bags

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *adlad65 OP   Man  over a year ago

Peterborough

Does anyone actually use these and if so, how do you get on with them. If you have used one once, why haven't you used it again??!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *G LanaTV/TS  over a year ago

Gosport

I have a couple of bivvy bags and know a fair number of other people with them. The first one I got was the Alpkit Hunka which I have only used in the summer when there was a heavy dew and I felt fairly wet from the condensation. I would say that a lot of the other I know use the Hunka XL without issues so I think the extra volume possibly helps a lot.

My other bag is an Outdoor Research Interstellar which I find much more comfortable, but then it needs to be as the list price is also astronomical. I think this one works better for me for a few reasons. Firstly the included bugnet means I'm more likely to keep it open and this helps manage condensation. However, even when fully closed down in a storm it stays drier since it has a much higher water transmission 30,000g/m2/24hr compared with 10,000 g/m²/24hr for the Hunka. I also find having the hoop makes being in the bag closed down makes it less claustrophobic. I would also warn you that if you sit up in the Interstellar using it in what Outdoor Research call sombrero mode it can cause a fair bit of amusesment in any fellow campers present.

By *eewhatcomes upMan  over a year ago

Waltham Abbey

I have used them a few years back but found them incredibly claustrophobic - it is ok if it is not raining but if you are totally sealed it freaks you out when you wake up!

On long walks I take one as an emergency bag though.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I had an outdoor research bivi, very light and small, good for expeditions due to light weight but I would have to keep my rucksack in inside my orange survival bag for the night to keep kit dry and I could not get changed in it as too small, I would have to change from wet kit to dry kit for sleeping before I got into tent, if it was raining hard then my dry sleeping kit got well before I got in. Good but not ideal. I now use a small two man tent from decathlon, at little over 2kg it's a little heavier and bulkier to pack but still manageable for one man to carry for expeditions.

By *akedduo66Couple  over a year ago

Near Bordon

We have an ex military one each and always take them with us as they stop the sleeping bag getting wet and if the dogs are with us in the tent it keeps the bags clean.

We slept over once on a beach in just sleeping bags and bivy and were woken by a large passing thunderstorm and stayed dry.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Have a British Army pattern 95 goretex bag. Ideal for wild camping.

By *AM2214Man  over a year ago

Manchester Area

Bought a Phalkander Bivvy when I was 18 used it for yrs amazing piece of kit... Bought an OR from a US Marine in Edale it was shite... Sold it on... Personally I love bivvy. It's more a personal taste than a piece of kit

.. With a Bi in Bag I can stop when I want and camp where I want nigh on no impact to the area... Mind you I'd prefer to camp somewhere that a group of sexualky frustrated mend were and get well and truly banged into place

By *egoMan  over a year ago

Preston

I wild camp, I don’t use a tent. Just a bag in a bivvy to keep dry just in case.

UK mod issue.

» Add a new message to this topic