FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Reheating food on 12V

Reheating food on 12V

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Bit of an odd title, but I couldn't think how else to work it.

So....if I were to want to reheat a previously prepared meal in a camper with only 12v to do it, what would I need to buy, or is using a gas cooker my only option?

I've looked on sites that have 'travel food heaters' that say they take 2-3 hours to reheat the food

Ideally I wouldn't want to wait that long

Does such a device exist?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

I use a ridge monkey to reheat and cook food. Pasties/pies/quiche

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Gas cooker is the usual way but you could have an inverter fitted (as you are asking about it I presume you may not want to fit it yourself). That will give 240v but will drain your batteries quickly. Using a microwave is possible on an inverter but it needs to be properly fitted as an inverter large enough to run a microwave draws serious power from the battery.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Gas cooker is the usual way but you could have an inverter fitted (as you are asking about it I presume you may not want to fit it yourself). That will give 240v but will drain your batteries quickly. Using a microwave is possible on an inverter but it needs to be properly fitted as an inverter large enough to run a microwave draws serious power from the battery."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Gas cooker is the usual way but you could have an inverter fitted (as you are asking about it I presume you may not want to fit it yourself). That will give 240v but will drain your batteries quickly. Using a microwave is possible on an inverter but it needs to be properly fitted as an inverter large enough to run a microwave draws serious power from the battery.

"

Probably best to run the engine too whilst using an 12/240v inverter and micro wave. I have fitted a 24v electrical system to my Landrover in addition to its original 12v electrics. This has allowed me to fit a British Army BV, an electrical powered cooker which is an incredible piece of kit. It’s boils water, can cook food and fry food too.

Forgot to mention there is a 12v version of the new current BV model. PM sent to ssbbw.

By *ranfondoMan  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

Some use Origo stoves in their vans... basically meths burning ... work as fast as gas but no bottles...cheap to run and used on boats. Can get them in single or 2 rings ....

"Some use Origo stoves in their vans... basically meths burning ... work as fast as gas but no bottles...cheap to run and used on boats. Can get them in single or 2 rings ...."

So would that be 12v meths then?

By *ranfondoMan  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"Some use Origo stoves in their vans... basically meths burning ... work as fast as gas but no bottles...cheap to run and used on boats. Can get them in single or 2 rings ....

So would that be 12v meths then? "

just an alternative...12v converting to a heat source is pretty inefficient

"Some use Origo stoves in their vans... basically meths burning ... work as fast as gas but no bottles...cheap to run and used on boats. Can get them in single or 2 rings ....

So would that be 12v meths then? just an alternative...12v converting to a heat source is pretty inefficient"

Fair point. I’ve used petrol stoves for many many years when I’m not moving in a vehicle. Much safer than gas, I use the Coleman 533 stoves at the moment. For a walking I also use the dragon fire gel on a bcb holder and a stainless steel 58 pattern mug.

12v inverter feeding a small induction hob - 12v planet have a good range - camping gas stove will be the cheapest, but not the safest - get a second battery fitted for the "hoyse" functions if you're intending to do a lot of cooking

By *heFabtasticsCouple  over a year ago

brentwood

Rule of thumb “if it runs hot it uses a lot” a little camping stove and a Ridge Monkey are relatively cheap to run because you will find your battery will last longer the less things it has to supply power to .

I’ve just found a stove with 4 gas refills for £25.99 on Amazon

By *NightingaleCouple  over a year ago

Watching

"12v inverter feeding a small induction hob - 12v planet have a good range - camping gas stove will be the cheapest, but not the safest - get a second battery fitted for the "hoyse" functions if you're intending to do a lot of cooking"

We've gone for a small single ring induction hob which runs off a second battery and inverter, works well but we need to run the engine and rev it a little while it's cooking so not great if your near other campers but cleaner than using gas when we're free camping. Feel free to msg for more details

» Add a new message to this topic