FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Calor gas bottles

Calor gas bottles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ribsa OP   Man  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

Anybody else having problems getting there gas bottles refilled. What's everyone doing for gas cylinder refills now calor gas are discontinuing many of the popular smaller camping sizes.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

A box at end of your bed

Just incase some of you out there don't know about this yet here is the web link about it.

https://www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-range-faq

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

6KG light propane is being discontinued. So I am ok with 6KG at the moment.

By *ertwoCouple  over a year ago

omagh

I know many cant do this but we use a manifold that 2 screw in camping gas cylinders fit Costs bit more but as we only away weekends it suits us and fills can be bought in any camping store and many big stores like home bargans etc. We have no oven only a grill and 2 rings. It also means if a ferry opperator gets twisted regards the Gas cyl you can throw them out no big loss.

A box at end of your bed

"I know many cant do this but we use a manifold that 2 screw in camping gas cylinders fit Costs bit more but as we only away weekends it suits us and fills can be bought in any camping store and many big stores like home bargans etc. We have no oven only a grill and 2 rings. It also means if a ferry opperator gets twisted regards the Gas cyl you can throw them out no big loss."

I guess it is only a problem for people who's caravan or folding camper/trailer tent that's gas storage locker is not big enough to fit the larger bottles in. Which is the problem I have.

By *arty onCouple  over a year ago

Dronfield

Yep change to flogas same size bottle 3.9 and 4.5 kg no problem

By *ennyPaulPooleCouple  over a year ago

Poole

Flogas bottles are all over the place size wise, advise those with small gas lockers that may only just fit Calor 3.9s and 4.5s to think carefully about thinking the flogas will fit,

34cm high are calor bottles whilest flogas is nearer 38cm in a lot of cases I've seen so wont fit like for like especially if needed to be angled over a locker lip.

flogas use rebadged old shell gas esso bp countyrwide etc gas bottles, which despite what their website claims are not the same height as they say, which is 34/37 cms high,

mega dear camping gaz 907 or Gaslow 2.7kg refillables fit for sure,in a calor size tailored gas locker

By *ncutgemMan  over a year ago

Bath ish

Calor generously aloe swap overs BUT seem to charge for new regulators

Guess these are needed from 4.7 to 7

I'd say that stinks

Massive amount of work to making box bigger

Calor blue impossible in France but what about propane

I bet I go for this and that gets discontinued

By *ietsenmakerMan  over a year ago

Hartford

I went over to Safefill bottles 2 years ago...fill up at Morrisons and you don't need to wait until they are empty, obviously if you use gas and are out all year, even with the cost of getting the bottles....they are cheaper than Calor etc. Mine were paid for quickly. At 75p a litre it's about £10 a bottle to fill. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me

Poole

4.5 blue calor butane users need a clip on connector if using 7kg bottles which many would love to use ,but are limited by the layout of their van/locker space,we cant for one, No calor butane or propane are swappable in France,

only small Camping gaz like the 907 2.7kg ones are,

They were hard to get hold of in the uk last year to swap and with Calor pulling out of the small bottle market there is bound to be a shortage with thousands of disenfranchised ex calor customers trying to swap to Camping Gaz, which incidently is actually filled by Calor themselves on camping Gaz's behalf,

Many will decant from large easy to get bottles into expired Calor small ones with the possibility of explosions when they are too dumb to adhere to the 80% expansion rule and over fill them and will be a danger to everyone camped beside them, meant to be leak checked when filled by Calor each time but wont ever be now either,

It may be wise to pitch next to bigger motorhomes and caravans with larger lockers/bottles on a site from now on as small campervans especially older ones with calor sized height lockers will likely look at filling their old bottles with potentially dire consequences if they cant get, or wont pay 40 quid for 2.7kg of Camping gaz this summer,

Looking at a Gaslow 2.7kg at a cost of £250 with the bits to legally fill at the dwindling lpg autogas filling stations dotted about, they are mainly moving to electric points by the day it seems.

Poole

"I went over to Safefill bottles 2 years ago...fill up at Morrisons and you don't need to wait until they are empty, obviously if you use gas and are out all year, even with the cost of getting the bottles....they are cheaper than Calor etc. Mine were paid for quickly. At 75p a litre it's about £10 a bottle to fill. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me"

At 395 high and 310cm diameter they are way bigger than the discontinued Small calors at 340x 240 sadly else they would be great,

They are more likely be filled when took to a pump in bottle form as generally there seems to be a blanket ban on stanalone bottles being filled at lpg station forecourts due to people trying to fill normal gas bottles that dont have a 80% automatic cut out to allow for expansion,with an ebay adapter screwed onto their bottle, the garage would be liable for any fire/explosion and damage so they tend to do a blanket ban on any bottles outside of a van or if any door is being opened to use a bottle fixed inside, they want an external filler fixed to the outside generally, safefill seems to be ok mainly some do gaslows but depends whos staffing the till that day, as they are often told to not ok the pump for any loose bottles it seems, as they cant expect staff to know the difference between whats got safety built in and whats a potential bomb if overloaded,

By *eandmrsjones69Couple  over a year ago

Middle England

Where do you dispose of used cylinders you no longer require?

By *outhwesthornMan  over a year ago

Whitchurch

"Where do you dispose of used cylinders you no longer require?"

You can take them to a supplier.

We used a place in Avonmouth bristol or Facebook is good

A box at end of your bed

I have picked up a 3.9kg propane flogas cylinder to take and exchange for a 5kg flogas butane cylinder as I'm going down the flogas route. I know it means changing the regulator but I think it's the cheapest option for me.

I did think about filling cylinders myself for all of about 2 minutes but decided it is way to dangerous for all the reason given above I decided safer and easier just to go with flogas.

A box at end of your bed

"I have picked up a 3.9kg propane flogas cylinder to take and exchange for a 5kg flogas butane cylinder as I'm going down the flogas route. I know it means changing the regulator but I think it's the cheapest option for me.

I did think about filling cylinders myself for all of about 2 minutes but decided it is way to dangerous for all the reason given above I decided safer and easier just to go with flogas."

Well unfortunately flogas only do like for like cylinder exchanges. So my idea of swopping propane cylinder for a butane cylinder was not possible, in the end I just bought a new regulator for the propane cylinder and will use propane now in my folding camper as I am not planning on going abroad anytime soon.

By *espicablyMeMan  over a year ago

Wrexham

"I have picked up a 3.9kg propane flogas cylinder to take and exchange for a 5kg flogas butane cylinder as I'm going down the flogas route. I know it means changing the regulator but I think it's the cheapest option for me.

I did think about filling cylinders myself for all of about 2 minutes but decided it is way to dangerous for all the reason given above I decided safer and easier just to go with flogas.

Well unfortunately flogas only do like for like cylinder exchanges. So my idea of swopping propane cylinder for a butane cylinder was not possible, in the end I just bought a new regulator for the propane cylinder and will use propane now in my folding camper as I am not planning on going abroad anytime soon. "

As an ex flogas employee till recently (still on good terms with colleagues, blah blah) Flogas do exchange Propane for Butane bottles, as long as they fall into the same size category, 3.9, 4.5, 6 kg all come under the small bottle category so should be all good.

Wrexham

And please don't refill Calor/Flogas etc bottles. Not only because you can run the risk of overfilling (not much scared me while working for Flogas and I did a reasonably amount of hands on technical work with tanks and bottles) but an overfilled bottle is not a good thing.

But also these bottles need to be taken out of circulation for testing and recertification at set intervals. I know of one bottle that did go pop because we hadn't seen it for years as the 'customer' had decided to keep their hands on it and refill it themselves. Caused a lot of damage but luckily no-one got hurt.

A box at end of your bed

Well unfortunately flogas only do like for like cylinder exchanges. So my idea of swopping propane cylinder for a butane cylinder was not possible, in the end I just bought a new regulator for the propane cylinder and will use propane now in my folding camper as I am not planning on going abroad anytime soon.

As an ex flogas employee till recently (still on good terms with colleagues, blah blah) Flogas do exchange Propane for Butane bottles, as long as they fall into the same size category, 3.9, 4.5, 6 kg all come under the small bottle category so should be all good."

My local flogas depot would not do the cylinder swap told me it had to be like for like exchanges only at the moment, don't know if they are having bottle shortages. Anyway I am all sorted now ready for going away. I just didn't want to go away and the calor bottle run out then have the hassle of finding a rreplacement while on holiday.

By *oasterMan  over a year ago

Sth Wales

At the moment both Flogas and calor are only doing straight swaps.

Yes the light weight cylinders have been withdrawn for reasons.

Don’t try filling propane cylinder at autogas sites or garages an over filled cylinder is a dangerous cylinder as there is NO auto stop inside you’d need a weighing scales to correctly fill to allow the correct ullage space.

By *loydyMan  over a year ago

British

We use all electric now less clutter

Wrexham

"At the moment both Flogas and calor are only doing straight swaps.

Yes the light weight cylinders have been withdrawn for reasons.

Don’t try filling propane cylinder at autogas sites or garages an over filled cylinder is a dangerous cylinder as there is NO auto stop inside you’d need a weighing scales to correctly fill to allow the correct ullage space. "

Ahh interesting. There was a big shortage on the 13kg bottles before I left. And due to their lighter usage small bottles do stay out with customers for a lot longer than the larger bottles.

By *ranfondoMan  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"I went over to Safefill bottles 2 years ago...fill up at Morrisons and you don't need to wait until they are empty, obviously if you use gas and are out all year, even with the cost of getting the bottles....they are cheaper than Calor etc. Mine were paid for quickly. At 75p a litre it's about £10 a bottle to fill. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for me

At 395 high and 310cm diameter they are way bigger than the discontinued Small calors at 340x 240 sadly else they would be great,

They are more likely be filled when took to a pump in bottle form as generally there seems to be a blanket ban on stanalone bottles being filled at lpg station forecourts due to people trying to fill normal gas bottles that dont have a 80% automatic cut out to allow for expansion,with an ebay adapter screwed onto their bottle, the garage would be liable for any fire/explosion and damage so they tend to do a blanket ban on any bottles outside of a van or if any door is being opened to use a bottle fixed inside, they want an external filler fixed to the outside generally, safefill seems to be ok mainly some do gaslows but depends whos staffing the till that day, as they are often told to not ok the pump for any loose bottles it seems, as they cant expect staff to know the difference between whats got safety built in and whats a potential bomb if overloaded,"

Exactly that....the local Morrisons has a "Fixed apparatus or Safefill bottles only" on their pump, filled up more litres than in a 6 kg calor and 3 times what is in a Camping Gaz for £7.86 the other day

» Add a new message to this topic