FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Cheap camper options

Cheap camper options

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ilkyslut4u OP   Woman  over a year ago

I’ve always wanted one but they are expensive and out of my price range.

Or maybe I’m just too fussy as I’d want maximum comfort and room for a guy or three lol

Any advice though would be greatly appreciated

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’ve just got one and originally had a list of what I wanted and wouldn’t budge. I spent months looking all over the uk but getting the perfect van is tough. Eventually I settled on what were the must haves and accepted not having the other stuff.

Tbh I think I’d have given up on looking if I stuck to my ideal. What I have now is in my budget and has the main must haves and is great. Really glad I made the decision I did.

The key bit for me was setting my budget and working to that. Also look as wide as you can as there’s some great vans out there at amazing prices.

By *t2022Couple  over a year ago

Gran Canaria / Edinburgh

What van did you go for out of interest?

"I’ve just got one and originally had a list of what I wanted and wouldn’t budge. I spent months looking all over the uk but getting the perfect van is tough. Eventually I settled on what were the must haves and accepted not having the other stuff.

Tbh I think I’d have given up on looking if I stuck to my ideal. What I have now is in my budget and has the main must haves and is great. Really glad I made the decision I did.

The key bit for me was setting my budget and working to that. Also look as wide as you can as there’s some great vans out there at amazing prices. "

Thank you xx

"What van did you go for out of interest?"

I got the VW transporter LWB DSG. Think I may have preferred the SWB but that’s only down to the parking length than anything else.

By *areToBe43Man  over a year ago

Surrey

Is there a recommended site for vans? Or is it just autotrader? We’re looking for something decent but price does seem to be an issue. £40k seems to be the starting point and it gets more expensive from there!

By *att192Man  over a year ago

East Kent

[Removed by poster at 08/02/23 19:05:28]

By *att192Man  over a year ago

East Kent

"Is there a recommended site for vans? Or is it just autotrader? We’re looking for something decent but price does seem to be an issue. £40k seems to be the starting point and it gets more expensive from there!"

Hi, not sure if any help.

I bought a lovely T5 campervan from Mayfair campers.

He buys decent panel vans and does full conversion, so when you buy it all brand new and good quality.

Decent price, mine was £19 grand, two years in a not a problem so far, fingers crossed.

I found him on ebay and last time I looked was still active.

Good luck and hope you find your dream camper!!

Still have his number, so if interested in checking out what he might have, let me know and I'll forward it on to you.

Yeah as said above there’s various places. I used eBay, auto trader, google searches the lot!

I got mine in Glasgow but was initially going to be travelling to Reading for one I found.

As I said above, I set a budget and the must haves and worked to that. The place I got mine had prices starting at £30k for a few older models.

By *ranfondoMan  over a year ago

Cambridgeshire

"I’ve always wanted one but they are expensive and out of my price range.

Or maybe I’m just too fussy as I’d want maximum comfort and room for a guy or three lol

Any advice though would be greatly appreciated "

Most Campers are okay for 2 some are +2... I had a Bongo camper for 11 years, but went up to a Motorhome at just 1.2m longer and has all the mod cons. I guess for some it's parking and storing the biggest issue for Motorhomes but Campers can generally be used daily(not that you can't in a MoHo. With a motorhome it's all about the layout inside, Campers are pretty much the same whatever you choose unless you go for a small one. As has been said....list your priorities and go from there, Happy Hunting

By *andanortheastCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle

Nissan Elgrand fully converted 20k

Finally finished my high top combo ,without awning it is a bit tight for space ,ldeal for 1 person ,been away in it to Newquay for a weekend as a couple in winter ,wouldnt have a holiday in it without awning ,very happy with it now after a few teething problems ,should get my money back on hotels and taxi fares in a couple of years.

By *eahorsesCouple  over a year ago

North DeVon

Any advice though would be greatly appreciated "

Our advice is stay away from VW for the same money you get a much newer one with a different name. Before anyone says anything we have had VW`s as well and they are not as reliable as others. Look for a long wheel base with a high roof or pop top as being able to stand up is a must

By *ungGuyS.WalesMan  over a year ago

bridgend

Yeah spot on with that one i built a transit custom and drives better in my opinion

By *sexman1Man  over a year ago

north oxfordshire

Hi S

As a motor home owner P/M me for advice

By *ribsaMan  over a year ago

A box at end of your bed

I couldn't afford the campervan so I went with a Conway/pennine folding camper it was my best option, easy to set up by one person in about 15 minutes longer if you're putting awning up, lots of room in it and you don't have to pack things away when you go out for the day and drive off site. I know it's not a campervan but it could be an alternative to get you started.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks all

By *nthony76!Man  over a year ago

lligwy

Really depends in budget,

I built mine in a vw t4 van, got what I wanted at a price and pace I could handle.

King-size bed heater I am happy. Just need to christen her

By *redandwilmaCouple  over a year ago

blackburn

[Removed by poster at 28/03/23 08:13:05]

By *redandwilmaCouple  over a year ago

blackburn

Our advice is stay away from VW for the same money you get a much newer one with a different name. Before anyone says anything we have had VW`s as well and they are not as reliable as others. Look for a long wheel base with a high roof or pop top as being able to stand up is a must "

We couldn't agree more,why pay an extra 20 grand for a badge,there are an awful lot of other makes out there,don't fall into the VW trap

Our advice is stay away from VW for the same money you get a much newer one with a different name. Before anyone says anything we have had VW`s as well and they are not as reliable as others. Look for a long wheel base with a high roof or pop top as being able to stand up is a must

We couldn't agree more,why pay an extra 20 grand for a badge,there are an awful lot of other makes out there,don't fall into the VW trap "

If it's all about prestige then fair enough ,get a vw ,l think they are very cool. I have a combo high top, can't stand up in it ,but it's fine for a one nite stopover ,got an awning for longer breaks, cost of conversion doing most myself except heater n electrics was £4000.

By *b72Man  over a year ago

Nottingham

There are several Facebook groups about campers under £4k/5k etc. Take a look on there as you might find something you like. Personally I'm building my own as I already had the van(mk7 tyranny) and depending on how I spec out the kitchen and electrics it's will be between£3-5k.

Ita all about what you want VS what you need.

By *affa CakesCouple  over a year ago

Tidworth Wiltshire

If you are looking to dip your toe into campers/motorhomes, try a talbot express cheap and cheerful.

By *now Queen and SkibumCouple  over a year ago

Swindon ish

We have an iveco daily. All kitted out. Brilliant and 1/2 the price you'll pay for VW. Look on fb market place and eBay too. Happy hunting.

» Add a new message to this topic