FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Bikepacking

Bikepacking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *wansJack83 OP   Man  over a year ago

yeovil

Hi

Anyone here go bikepacking, I’m interested and planning my first trip. Looking to chat to anyone with some experience after some tips and advice. If your happy to share.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

I do a fair bit of this. Did over 1000 miles last year. Happy to chat more about it waif you OP or with anyone else that's interested.

yeovil

Oh that’s cool, I’m just starting to get ready for my 1st overnight trip, slowly building my bag collection to fit on the bike. Hope to go in a month or two once the weather improves. Just an overnighter 1st. See hope that goes.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

"Oh that’s cool, I’m just starting to get ready for my 1st overnight trip, slowly building my bag collection to fit on the bike. Hope to go in a month or two once the weather improves. Just an overnighter 1st. See hope that goes. "

I normally ride to Yeoviton when the weather starts to improve as a bit of a shake out from winter; it's about 110 miles round trip which I do over a weekend; the best bit is that I camp over a Gems at get a night of fun as well.

By *ouple1Couple  over a year ago

Preston

His is something I have thought about but never got round to doing.

Maybe one of these days I will pack the bike and just go

Good luck

By *weetnsour1100Couple  over a year ago

Leeds/York

I've done a lot of this in France every year. The best tip I can give is don't take a small 1 or 2 man tent. The space saving over a 3 or 4 man isn't worth the difficulty getting yourself and all your kit in, especially when it's raining

yeovil

"I've done a lot of this in France every year. The best tip I can give is don't take a small 1 or 2 man tent. The space saving over a 3 or 4 man isn't worth the difficulty getting yourself and all your kit in, especially when it's raining"

Thanks, I had been thinking bivi bag and tarp, I am slowly push towards some kind of tent, I want to keep it small if I can as I’ll be wild camping most of the time.

yeovil

"His is something I have thought about but never got round to doing.

Maybe one of these days I will pack the bike and just go

Good luck "

Thanks, I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I’ve decided that this is year to try it!

By *weetnsour1100Couple  over a year ago

Leeds/York

"Thanks, I had been thinking bivi bag and tarp, I am slowly push towards some kind of tent, I want to keep it small if I can as I’ll be wild camping most of the time. "

That's what I did first; go for small. But you're not carrying it on your back so go to Go Outdoors and look at the size of a 3 man tent when packed up; it isn't much bigger than a bivi bag and tarp. Believe me, when you arrive and it's raining and you can pop your tent up then have somewhere protected to change into your dry kit and move around you'll thank me for it

By *ricoupleCouple  over a year ago

Derby

Been on some fantastic bike packing adventures over the last couple of years. About 10k Km’s last year UK and EU.

Mixture of camping and hotels.

Me personally if riding solo go for bivvy bag, used tents in the past and fed up with the time taken putting up and taking down. If it’s wet either hotel or hostel or just shelter under a bridge or something for the night.

Love the sense of freedom it gives you

yeovil

So I’m currently thinking taking my bivi bag and alpkit 4x4 tarp. I’m hoping the weather will improve over the next few weeks towards the end of March. What bikes are you all riding? Mines a Merida big trail 600, 650b plus bike.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Hammock and tarp . Just remember to find tree to hook up to

By *ennysouthMan  over a year ago

Coventry

On the list to do this year. Managed to collect a lot of kit over winter and just need some slightly warmer weather now. Looking forward to finding a quiet place to camp and run round naked.

yeovil

"On the list to do this year. Managed to collect a lot of kit over winter and just need some slightly warmer weather now. Looking forward to finding a quiet place to camp and run round naked. "

On the list to do this year. Managed to collect a lot of kit over winter and just need some slightly warmer weather now. Looking forward to finding a quiet place to camp and run round naked.

Same here hope to some time in summer

"I've done a lot of this in France every year. The best tip I can give is don't take a small 1 or 2 man tent. The space saving over a 3 or 4 man isn't worth the difficulty getting yourself and all your kit in, especially when it's raining

Thanks, I had been thinking bivi bag and tarp, I am slowly push towards some kind of tent, I want to keep it small if I can as I’ll be wild camping most of the time. "

I do belive a 2 person tent with generous vestibule can be enough. Try to keep your thigs minimal and light as well. I have surly lht and vaude hogan ul 2 person tent .

By *allnlongMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

This is really appealing

I love wild camping and the minimalist aproach, my bike is a great green laner so loads of places to explore

By *ast RolloMan  over a year ago

glasgow west

there is a big difference between bike packing and bike touring - bike packing is keeping things to a minimum and with touring you can go round the world. For tents think +1 so if going solo get.a 2 man tent like the msr hubba hubba its light and good for 3 seasons , for a sleep mat get a ether light xt or therma rest and a down bag = warmer and lighter than a synth bag. for a first trip go 30 miles away its close enough to home that if disater happens you can get home easily and its far enough away that you know that if you forgot some thing you cant just pop home to get it

By *ree-dom69Man  over a year ago

park gate

Not the cheapest option but try or look up big Agnes tents, excellent tents and probably the lightest and smallest packed you can find (designed for bike packing)

Highly recommend

By *erlins5Man  over a year ago

South Fife

I go touring and bike packing. I did the badger divide last year. I use a force 10 light weight tent but there are a few bike specific tents or there. MSR have a great range of good light weight tents and understand bike packing. I use a down sleeping bag but it has to be kept dry which can be difficult in Scotland

By *erlins5Man  over a year ago

South Fife

A tarp is OK for one maybe two nights... But if going away for a few days or a week you will soon want more comfort especislly if the weather is bad.

By *ietsenmakerMan  over a year ago

Hartford

We use Tarp and Bivvi as well as small Tent depending on destination and route as well as time of the year. Obvs we wild camp and leave no trace unless we are on a planned campsite route. Cycling UK have many routes you can use and obvs split into sections. The boys and I are heading into Norfolk in 2 weeks for an overnighter taking in some of the loop routes and sections of Rebellion way. Plenty of places to grab food and also we take stoves etc with us in case..... Ride Safe

yeovil

Thanks for all the advice, I am pretty set on a tarp and bivi bag, as my first trip will be an one overnight. I have planned the route where I will be passing 3 pubs, 1 small shop will be hopefully late afternoon early evening should I need anything with a small cafe on route the next morning should I choose to stop for a coffee and breakfast. I will be taking a stove and 1 or 2 dehydrated meals and plenty of snacks. Heading up to Alpkit in Bristol tomorrow for a browse just to see if there is anything there that might be worth grabbing to bring along.

By *artyanna16200TV/TS  over a year ago

leeds

Thought about taking a tent and headig for mach loop on way to an induction next week in merthyr. Is wild camping allowed round there does anyone know

By *ast RolloMan  over a year ago

glasgow west

a tarp and bivvie is fine some times but in scotland i would not use an open tarp or bivvie for one reason ..................................MIDGIES....................................

even when camping they are a pain most of the year and the rest of the time it is pissing with rain

By *oodguy71pMan 36 weeks ago

Wantage

I'm off to bikepack the new Traws Eryri off road route through Snowdonia at the end of September, has anyone else done it yet?

» Add a new message to this topic