FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Buying a Motorhome

Buying a Motorhome

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *irst timersCool OP   Couple 17 weeks ago

Newcastle under lyme

We are thinking about buying a Motorhome this year so does anyone have any tips for buying or tips for accessories xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *k4meCouple 17 weeks ago

Hull

Go look at lots of different styles/floorplans see which suits you best, we have owned ours over 2 years and haven’t looked back

By *anManCoolMan 17 weeks ago

Camborne

First time i fancied it, i hired one for a week to test it,

By (user no longer on site) 17 weeks ago

The difference between campervan and motorhome insurance can be huge .

By *leasebegentleCouple 17 weeks ago

Longfield

We hired one first to see if we liked it,which we did.

Then the one we hired came up for sale and bought it.

We hire it now as well as using it.

You need to look at different layouts see what you prefer.

I like ours as it has a u shaped lounge,which converts in to a bed.

Some people prefer to have a bed at the back.

I would go for an automatic if you can as a lot easier to drive.

Beware on Facebook marketplace far too many scammers,always go to look and check all relevant documents before parting with money.

I could go on but don’t want to bore you.

Message if you like any help.

By *eeandsexymCouple 17 weeks ago

Between selby/york

Definately hire one.

We did and it instantly showed us what we didn't like.. Layout is everything

By *ranky bMan 17 weeks ago

Thornton

Hire one first then if your definitely going to buy then use a dealer close to you as travelling to get work done under warranty can be a pain and a inconvenience plus the further you are away then less likely they are to help you

By (user no longer on site) 17 weeks ago

The camper l purchased was in great condition , the agent and seller both said in writing that it had been welded and undersealed so as it was pouring down l didn't check . Turned out to need £1100 worth of welding , a private sale would have been hassle , as it was got it sorted to my satisfaction .

By *eordiesCouple 17 weeks ago

newcastle

If buying a motorhome, think to yourself, "If it is pouring down all day and I (and any others with you) are stuck in here all day are the seats going to be comfortable enough?"

By *redandwilmaCouple 17 weeks ago

blackburn

"We are thinking about buying a motorhome this year, so does anyone have any tips for buying or tips for accessories xx"

Certainly do your research and check out lots. It took us over 15 months to finally settle on ours,and we hired one first to see if we liked it xx

By *ev_1Couple 17 weeks ago

Bickliegh

Biggest mistake you can do is buying the layout which doesn't suit. You must get it right . Look at how you would use it in all weathers don't worry about add ones until you get the correct motorhome for yourselves. And as insurance we found it ok not to expensive compared to how much they cost we had a brand new caravan and a T5 and our insurance was cheaper than the two put together.

By *mooth shaftMan 17 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Don't fall for the scams if lookin on line. They promise a fantastic bargain for home delivery but you can never see it first.

We bought our first one after hiring one and yes layout is key!

Good luck. x

By *ell 192Man 17 weeks ago

darlington

Only go for the number of berths you need or you just have loads of wasted space. Very comfy seats that swivel your going to spend a lot of time in them.

By *nd-DCouple 16 weeks ago

portsmouth

Also think about where are you going to keep it.

Secure storage sites can be very expensive.

Motorhomes are expensive and easy targets for scumbags to steal.

Good security is very important, secure parking , alarms , Trackers , wheel locks , pedal locks , make it as hard as possible to steal.

We love ours and try to go away as often as we can .

Pub stops are good because it helps to keep the pubs open and we have met some great people.

By *londisbackCouple 16 weeks ago

Leeds

Agree with most on here . Go and view plenty of motorhomes as there are so many different layouts . We bought a new one a year ago with fixed bed . In hind sight we should have done away with fixed bed as compared to a touring caravan there is far less room . We are now changing it for another with U shaped seating at end wich gives us far more room . Good luck on your search .

By *ev_1Couple 16 weeks ago

Bickliegh

Tracker a must

By *outhern man.Man 16 weeks ago

Weymouth

I've looked about at different makes styles might look at some one converting one to get what I want.

By *oWeDareCouple 16 weeks ago

Stockton on tees

We built our own for a 3rd of the price of similar spec and layouts on professional built vans.

Weymouth

Get some one else to do it but I would get what I want.

By *itygamesMan 16 weeks ago

UK

Work out the ratio of how often you will use it to how often it will be parked up unused

You have to tax and insure it all year round so might be cheaper to hire rather than buy if your not a big user

By *dventurous biMan 16 weeks ago

tesside

We sat in a lot of them before we bought. Bought one that was too big for us but when we changed it after two and a half years we got 100% of what we paid for it in p/x.

Important for us was rear seating area that converts to beds. Ours works as two singles or a double.

Having a skylight above the seating was also a must have for us.

Don’t assume that buying from a dealer is bad value btw. It removes a lot of risk.

Also, get warranty insurance from M B & G. Worth every penny.

By *erry bull1Man 16 weeks ago

doncaster

I sold mine pre lockdown it was a sprinter/ bessecar with end bedroom , I regret selling it now

By *ranfondoMan 16 weeks ago

Cambridgeshire

Layout is the key.... If you use or plan to use all year round ( why not) it's how you will manage on the cold, wet or snow days...things like that, sounds daft in the Scheme of things but in reality it's a thing ... Mine is an over cab bed type which works well for my use....

By *heFabtasticsCouple 16 weeks ago

brentwood

I recommend Hymer I’ve had one now for 3 years they are a dam fine motorhome

Bickliegh

6 berth for the two of us plenty of space love it

By *ustagentMan 16 weeks ago

wa14

Please remember, if your looking for a cheap holiday this isnt it, the cost are high, ,purchase, maintenance,insurance,fuel, camping fees, the list goes on and on, yes freedom and great times but dont have rose tinted glasses!

By (user no longer on site) 16 weeks ago

Freedom for sure

By *8ladMan 16 weeks ago

Heckington

You can't beat a German built motorhome ??

By *targazer65Man 16 weeks ago

Rorks drift

As a fair few people have already said layout is important as with some motorhomes the lounge area becomes the bedroom, but do you want to have to pack the bed away every morning and remake it every evening but then if you leave it made where do you eat ?

In my case I have a converted seating area that's makes up into a double bed which I leave but still have a table at the front end that I can sit at to eat drink and be merry lol using the swivelled cabin seat. But it's what suits you that is most important so viewing different layouts is a must. I'll be off and about in mine come the better weather

Weymouth

Love a rear lounge that converts or just leave it.

Bickliegh

We have found it cheaper than having a caravan on seasonal pitch so very pleased overall with costings yes you have the initial price of purchasing a motorhome.

By *eordiesCouple 16 weeks ago

newcastle

You might find that people who bought a motorhome say 10 years ago at a price of say £40,000 are quite pleased today to find that is worth the same amount of money.

So if you beak the costs down.

Pitch fees and fuel to get to the campsite are probably the same as a car / caravan combo.

You can do festivals of all sorts right over the summer months, go to campsite in this Country and abroad.

So extra costs over a car / caravan combo are;

Additional insurance and road tax, addition MOT and maintenance.

Probably way better depreciation than a car / caravan.

By *heFabtasticsCouple 16 weeks ago

brentwood

"You might find that people who bought a motorhome say 10 years ago at a price of say £40,000 are quite pleased today to find that is worth the same amount of money.

So if you beak the costs down.

Pitch fees and fuel to get to the campsite are probably the same as a car / caravan combo.

You can do festivals of all sorts right over the summer months, go to campsite in this Country and abroad.

So extra costs over a car / caravan combo are;

Additional insurance and road tax, addition MOT and maintenance.

Probably way better depreciation than a car / caravan.

"

I sold my car and my 1989 Hymer is my daily driver yeah the cost to run is definitely alot higher than a car but it’s totally worth it for the adventures and obviously the fun we’ve had in it Miles = Smiles and if the motorhome is rocking come a knocking

By *abonTedCouple 15 weeks ago

Midlands & Cheltenham

All the above really. Do your home work, know your layout and make friends with the idea of tinkering (I don’t mean shaggin, that’s another thing) in your MH. Let’s face it your probably not gunna loose much if any of the value. What you waiting for???

By *outhern man.Man 15 weeks ago

Weymouth

"All the above really. Do your home work, know your layout and make friends with the idea of tinkering (I don’t mean shaggin, that’s another thing) in your MH. Let’s face it your probably not gunna loose much if any of the value. What you waiting for???"
loved my old autocruise have to get a new one when I win the lottery.

By *exy_HornyCouple 15 weeks ago

Leigh

Don't buy an Elddis.

Their "Solid" construction (strong, light and dry) is none of the things it is supposed to be.

By *irst timersCool OP   Couple 15 weeks ago

Newcastle under lyme

Oops just put a deposit down on an Elddis lol x

By *exy_HornyCouple 15 weeks ago

Leigh

"Oops just put a deposit down on an Elddis lol x"

Oh dear.

Ours is nearly 10 years old now. Will be submitting the 5th warranty claim for damp this week. The floor is also delaminating this year.

There were pages of faults from new. The design is poor (particularly the bathroom), build quality is abysmal and the van is heavier than they say on the factory plate (but within the generous tolerance they allow themselves) so the van has so little payload that it is not fit for purpose.

Bits keep breaking or falling off. Apart from the damp and floor this years problem is the number plate lights. I have found they have open backs wth unprotected bulbs open to road spray. The lamp units have corroded and water has got into the loom so that needs cutting back and repairing before the MOT.

By *s2funloversCouple 15 weeks ago

North Walsham and Spain

Always buy a European built van, preferably German or French. They are in a different league to a UK van. Id take a 10 year old Hymer or similar over any new Brit van!

By *kcplprestonMan 15 weeks ago

preston

All new UK motorbikes are of a similar quality, too light weight. I ran a rental business for a few years and have had a variety of new motorhomes, some good, some bad. All will have warranty though if new/ish.

German are far better quality but also come with a price tag and a door that opens up on the wrong side for our roads.

Whatever you bought you will enjoy. If anyone has any specific queries I could help with feel free to drop a message.

By *arleysarCouple 15 weeks ago

Redhill/Reigate

Depends on your budget and how many of u there are most motorhome seem to have the fiat engine now older ones 2.5 newer 2.8 you cannot go wrong with a Aclass Hymer 10 to 20 yeard old low mileage the perfect layout is the 534 we have b544 if u do go looking for a hymer join the Hymer group the older ones are built to last if ever u see a very old motorhome on the road chances are it's a Hymer

By *eedee27Man 15 weeks ago

cambridge

"We are thinking about buying a Motorhome this year so does anyone have any tips for buying or tips for accessories xx"

There a show in Birmingham this month I would go have a look around there

By *targazer65Man 15 weeks ago

Rorks drift

"Don't buy an Elddis.

Their "Solid" construction (strong, light and dry) is none of the things it is supposed to be."

I've got an elddis 135 majestic. I've had a few issues. For problems have you had if you don't mind me asking ?

By *hippedcreamCouple 14 weeks ago

Outer London

Caravan & Motorhome Show NEC Birmingham.

It's on next week, tickets are cheap, all options can be seen under one roof go take a look - we're there next Friday

By *r and Mrs SexploitCouple 14 weeks ago

Pontypridd

I've been caravaning since birth. My parents changed to motorhoming when I left home. I would highly recommend hiring, it's a relatively new concept to the industry. I would also recommend going to a show. Even if you can't afford a brand new one it would give you the opportunity to see lots of layouts in one place.

As a staunch caravaner I'll be cheeky and pose the question have you considered caravaning instead? Pros and cons to both. PM me if you want to chat more.

By *ustagentMan 14 weeks ago

wa14

"Don't buy an Elddis.

Their "Solid" construction (strong, light and dry) is none of the things it is supposed to be."

solid= soggy only lets in damp!!

By *ammyJamesandJaneCouple 14 weeks ago

Stevenage

We are in the market. My wife likes the Burstner Lyseo td744. 2 drop-down beds but long. Nearly new £70k ISH.

I am minded towards an older Hymer and much cheaper.

By *hris 1972Man 13 weeks ago

Newport

We had an elddis accordo 125 transverse bed I personally loved the lay out. But the girlfriend didn't. So we swapped it for a bailey autograph 75-2 French bed lay out. Peugeot engine plenty of room inside . We are really happy with it hopefully get some action this summer.

By *ear17Man 12 weeks ago

haverfordwest

Check the underneath the MH lot of people park on grass for years then it goes Rusty

By *en30216Man 12 weeks ago

york

By *lack-country-ladMan 12 weeks ago

b67 b68 area

"The difference between campervan and motorhome insurance can be huge ."
i have a motor home and insurance is £250.00...shop around

By (user no longer on site) 12 weeks ago

"The difference between campervan and motorhome insurance can be huge .i have a motor home and insurance is £250.00...shop around"

Yeah ,l did that ,got a great quote after shopping around .

By *arwick KingCouple 12 weeks ago

Bristol & Cardiff

"Tracker a must"

We've got GPSBob tracker on ours, took all of five minutes to fit to main battery but thinking of moving it onto the leisure battery which is tucked away so harder to locate tracker.

We bought a 5 year plan off Amazon for about £250 on offer.

By *ev_1Couple 11 weeks ago

Bickliegh

Got a phantom tracker bloody brilliant

» Add a new message to this topic