FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Camping > Van conversion

Van conversion

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi guys, anyone done there own conversion, or have a converted van, looking for ideas / tips.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oby-jMan  over a year ago

Wrexham

hope you get your dream done , i,m hoping to get a camper for next year,

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Yup, I’ve done one previously. Best advice I can give is join the SBMCC (google them). Well worth the £15 or whatever it is now membership.

-Matt

Nice one, ill have a google mate thank you

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Converted a small Vauxhall Combo to be a discreet sleeper for two, perfect for us, we’ve done lots of camping and spent a week down in Cornwall touring. There’s a group on F/Book called ‘self-build campers’, well worth a look! Free to join and full of lots of advice and tips

By *ohn32991Man  over a year ago

LEEK

Try joining some of the self build groups on Facebook. Loads of grear ideas.

By *frrider_ukMan  over a year ago

Portrush

I have converted a T5, tinted glass all round, full insulation, carpet lined, new floor, night heater leasure battery and electric hookup, removable rear seats for when I want to camp in it. Hope to get a bouble front seat swivel and windout awning at the Motorhome and Caravan show on Friday. Planning is the key.

It does what I want, though no fitted units, not my thing.

By *iHung50Man  over a year ago

Near You

I am buying a LWB high roof transit soon and converting it to live in full time while travelling the world.

As others have said there are hundreds of bookface groups to choose from some better than others.

By *opline7Man  over a year ago

Cardiff

Just finished co verting a Vauxhall Vivaro LWB,cant wait to get away init hope to go next weekend a lot of hard work but fantastic fun this is my second van..

By *eeandesCouple  over a year ago

clacton-on-sea Essex not east midlands

Got a grand voyager stow and go. Put the seats down pop in a storage unit and you have a two birth camper.Take the unit out

put the seats up and you have a 7 seater vehicle again.

By *wildlyCouple  over a year ago

Hemel Hempstead

Lots of great YouTube tutorials. Nate Murphy and Greg Virgoe's channels in particular

By *orkshiredoggersCouple  over a year ago

barnsley

We love them and just replaced our 07 Vauxhall vivaro lwb with a bigger Peugeot boxer van,as they are wider so the bed can go widthways across the back.we will be selling our vivaro now and as the test has just run out we will advertise and let go for 1200

By *onandCouple  over a year ago

Cheadle

Selling our 2012 MB Sprinter which we converted.

Converted a Transit 350 a few years back. If you go for a former 'welfare support' van you can get them with toilet / microwave / night heater / sink already installed.

I just took out some seats adn replaced with an old caravan seat/bed - sorted!

Miles cheaper and more practical than a VW.

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Lots of great YouTube tutorials. Nate Murphy and Greg Virgoe's channels in particular"

This.

There's a wealth of info on You Tube. Learn from others' ideas and mistakes. Lots of useful recommendations in terms of kit.

By *untimes6969Man  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Have to have a look - cheers for the advice!

Have a t4 that is a sort of camper,

Has a bed and draw in the back for kitchen,

Split charge tv etc all done by me

By *ifted guyMan  over a year ago

North side of tyne

I converted an LT 35 long wheelbase ex patient ambulance took out seats boarded floor fitted a Wetroom floor then a pine double bed and some units with cooker and sink already had night heater and leisure battery so good to go had lots of fun in it perfect for dogging too lol

By *etermaryCouple  over a year ago

croydon

We have a citroen 2003 relay swb..converted to doub bed..cooker

Looking for a LWb van high roof. X

"We have a citroen 2003 relay swb..converted to doub bed..cooker

Looking for a LWb van high roof. X"

Take a look at an lt35 they are bargains at the moment

By *fromwalesCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

Doing a mwb crafter for myself this year and the Mrs keeping her T4

When I was travelling in Oz 15 years ago this bunch of Irish lads all working on various building sites in Sydney staying in same hostel clubbed together and bought an old 50 seater greyhound bus and kitted it out with 15 bunks, bar, rooftop terrace lol.. they all quit when they finished converting it and travelled round Oz.. Proper party times they had..

By *ighorn2006Man  over a year ago

Ceredigion / N France

Great thread. I'm just in the process of making a small partner van more comfortable for the cooler weather and sorting out power supply to the rear for phone charging, heating and a small telly.

Great fun, wish I'd started in the summer.

Happy to chat with others here and share experiences.

I'd also be interested to hear about where people stay.

I use mine for a mixture of days out, overnighters and sleeping in when working away. It's ideal for discreet urban camping too aving stayed in a few towns.

Barbados

"Great thread. I'm just in the process of making a small partner van more comfortable for the cooler weather and sorting out power supply to the rear for phone charging, heating and a small telly.

Great fun, wish I'd started in the summer.

Happy to chat with others here and share experiences.

I'd also be interested to hear about where people stay.

I use mine for a mixture of days out, overnighters and sleeping in when working away. It's ideal for discreet urban camping too aving stayed in a few towns."

Not sure if you mean 12v or 230v for the power supply, but you won’t realistically run any heating off a 12v supply. Just not enough energy.

-Matt

Ceredigion / N France

Matt, thanks for the advice.

I've put a lot of insulation in with a vapour barrier to reduce condensation. I was hoping that a small 12v heater would just keep the chill off and reduce the cold air.

As it's a small van only used occasionally for sleeping in looking at a portable power pack rather than a leisure battery circuit, my costing was similar.

I love the freedom of it though.

"Doing a mwb crafter for myself this year and the Mrs keeping her T4 "

Love my t4 and if I had a little space a crafter or lt would grace my drive

"Matt, thanks for the advice.

I've put a lot of insulation in with a vapour barrier to reduce condensation. I was hoping that a small 12v heater would just keep the chill off and reduce the cold air.

As it's a small van only used occasionally for sleeping in looking at a portable power pack rather than a leisure battery circuit, my costing was similar.

"

The 12v heaters will kill a battery, personally I would use a chinese planar diesel heater (£110 ish)

I run all sorts off my slightly past it 110ah marine battery and 200w solar panel with split charge.

21"12v tv

Android stereo amp xbox and a small kettle led lights (obviously not at the same time but when testing I abused it and and it lasted 48 hours!) With a little care and loads of sun I can see no issue with this set up having no issue with a week without starting the engine or a battery charger.

But yes the freedom is amazing!!

Just can't wait to christen mine!!

Ceredigion / N France

Thanks again and all interesting ideas and advice.

It's a small van and for occasional use. I could make space for a second battery but I then lose storage space, hence thinking of the power pack. .... maybe a solar panel later ?

Christened my van a while ago hehe and it's her that has suggested adding a few more features to it, she loves it

barnsley

We have done lots,currently doing a Peugeot boxer as we prefer the 6ft width to allow bed crossways in the rear,as for heating,stick with gas or diesel heaters as ur batteries won't last,solar are great bonus to any build and offer off grid camping with comforts.

"We have done lots,currently doing a Peugeot boxer as we prefer the 6ft width to allow bed crossways in the rear,as for heating,stick with gas or diesel heaters as ur batteries won't last,solar are great bonus to any build and offer off grid camping with comforts."

Been looking at diesel heaters are they stright forward to fit?

barnsley

Yes quite straight forward don't dismiss the cheap Chinese ones as they are grill for self builds especially the standalone type around 90 pounds,I'm currently waiting for one tobe delivered for this van

They are pretty much plug and play if you use the stand alone fuel tank, I have plumbed mine into the fans tank using a drop pipe with a hole into the sender unit

Barbados

"Matt, thanks for the advice.

"

No, alas a 12v battery just doesn’t hold enough energy to power any decent sized heat source. You can get 12v heated blankets and they at least put the heat where needed. But even so they draw a large current.

-Matt

"Yes quite straight forward don't dismiss the cheap Chinese ones as they are grill for self builds especially the standalone type around 90 pounds,I'm currently waiting for one tobe delivered for this vann"

Nice one ill have a look , i want to be able to use the van all year round

"They are pretty much plug and play if you use the stand alone fuel tank, I have plumbed mine into the fans tank using a drop pipe with a hole into the sender unit "

How long does the stand alone tank last?

"They are pretty much plug and play if you use the stand alone fuel tank, I have plumbed mine into the fans tank using a drop pipe with a hole into the sender unit

How long does the stand alone tank last? "

To be honest not a clue, but at a guess at least 5+ days of continual use. It's a few ltrs and they really only sip fuel.

My van is running 25% cooking oil and the heater is happy with this and a little more, they don't like 100% but are very durable,

Only down side is that when you use them at not full heat when you turn them off you need to run at full heat for 5 or 10 mins to clear any carbon deposits from the combustion chamber (small price to pay for the cost saving.)

"Converted a Transit 350 a few years back. If you go for a former 'welfare support' van you can get them with toilet / microwave / night heater / sink already installed.

I just took out some seats adn replaced with an old caravan seat/bed - sorted!

Miles cheaper and more practical than a VW."

Are there many campsites that will not accept a converted van on their sites. We have only found one so far

By *atherjackhackettMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

"Hi guys, anyone done there own conversion, or have a converted van, looking for ideas / tips.

"

Countless excellent vids on youtube.

Selling T4 with removable.cooker.pod and table.and rock n roll.bed

"Selling T4 with removable.cooker.pod and table.and rock n roll.bed "

Sounds cool

It is red with black alloys all refelted etc in back 51 plate

1.9td engine

"It is red with black alloys all refelted etc in back 51 plate

1.9td engine"

Best engine for one there is!

Durable reliable tunable and you can run it on veg oil!

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

Until I bought a cheap Chinese diesel heater for my boat, and joined a Facebook group about them, I never realised how many people live in converted vans!

Norwich

[Removed by poster at 19/11/19 19:14:22]

By *eturningcplCouple  over a year ago

felixstowe

What sort of price are the heaters? could do with one in our t4

barnsley

We have just got one of eBay,from London,2day delivery 95.00 and its brill

By *eturningcplCouple  over a year ago

felixstowe

"We have just got one of eBay,from London,2day delivery 95.00 and its brill"

Thanks I'll look into those ones.

Mine was £120 about 12 months ago and has been great until it switched itself on today. Maybe an error or may need a new control (£15 with the improved remote control with screen) so no great shakes.

barnsley

Ours has the remote,yes we are going to fit a switch on the positive so its not got power constantly

By *hongman1Man  over a year ago

Mansfield

This thread is rocking. This is something that I have been considering a lot recently and definitely want to get a build done in the coming couple of years.

Was looking at some v dubs but the coatings are huge and they’re not actually that big (friend has one) so started to look at LWB high sides where I could comfortably fit a big bed at the back end and other “living room” type bits behind the cab. Not overly fussed on all the tech and kitchen stuff as I really like to be as off grid as possible. Maybe a TV hooked to an Apple TV and a small heater would suffice for 1, 2 or 3 nights use!

"Hi guys, anyone done there own conversion, or have a converted van, looking for ideas / tips.

"

Semi converted Vauxhall vivaro work in progress . Has hybrid solar and wind power to charge the leisure batteries. Sofa bed microwave TV and wifi

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

I converted the back space of a Citroën Acadiane to take a double mattress, storage space, fridge, lights, sockets with solar power. Tight squeeze, but fun and it is functional. People still don't believe that two can sleep comfortably in the back!

"Ours has the remote,yes we are going to fit a switch on the positive so its not got power constantly"

Yea I thought about that but inside the timer sometimes in frosty days (defrost her before early shifts )

"This thread is rocking. This is something that I have been considering a lot recently and definitely want to get a build done in the coming couple of years.

Was looking at some v dubs but the coatings are huge and they’re not actually that big (friend has one) so started to look at LWB high sides where I could comfortably fit a big bed at the back end and other “living room” type bits behind the cab. Not overly fussed on all the tech and kitchen stuff as I really like to be as off grid as possible. Maybe a TV hooked to an Apple TV and a small heater would suffice for 1, 2 or 3 nights use! "

VW t4 t5 etc dependant on needs yea can be a little small inside but have you looked at lt35 or crafters?

VW scene is brilliant with the forums and the after market parts for them is fantastic.

"We love them and just replaced our 07 Vauxhall vivaro lwb with a bigger Peugeot boxer van,as they are wider so the bed can go widthways across the back.we will be selling our vivaro now and as the test has just run out we will advertise and let go for 1200"

Can ya inbox me please mate got so van questions i need your advice on lol

What like was the cheap diesel heater ?? Was it easy to fit

"What like was the cheap diesel heater ?? Was it easy to fit "

Mainly plug and play with a little drilling. But depends on your skillset I guess, i have built engines and fitted out my own van so....

I'm shit at d.i.y will ask mate if he could fit one for.me

I converted my t4. Hardest part was the carpeting around the metal work. Lots of things you can buy premade on ebay, or even parts people no longer want

By *kcplprestonMan  over a year ago

preston

Have done a t5 and two vitos over the last 6 year.

Gets easier each time- especially remembering to wire it before putting everything else in!

Norwich

For anyone interested in the diesel consumption of a Chinese heater:

I've just updated the firmware on my controller and can now see total hours run. With a total of just over 860 hours I have used 156 liters of diesel. This is a 2kw unit which is ample for a van in the UK.

HTH

barnsley

How do u update,we are on the site on fb and not looked into this

Norwich

"How do u update,we are on the site on fb and not looked into this"

Do you have an Afterburner controller?

barnsley

We got the all in one stand alone one with the control fastened to the case

Norwich

"We got the all in one stand alone one with the control fastened to the case"

I don't think you can tell with a standard controller

Norwich

I should have said that the Afterburner is an open source heater controller project invented by a guy is Australia. You can download the plans and firmware to build you own or, if you are an electronic numpty like me, but one ready built by the guy that designed them.

Among other things the Afterburner has:

Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.

Better control over the heater fuel/air settings

Better timers, i.e. 14 timers that can be set daily or weekly to turn the heater on and off. (The standard controller only appears to turn it on)

A mode that allows the heater to suspend when a target temp is reached, restarting when the temp drops.

Running totals of time and fuel used.

There is more but they are the features that I use.

Ok im going to keep a watch on here.

Want to do the van living(not in the UK) so reading with interest

THE COMMENT about purchasing a mess vans is a great one... just how the hell do i fit in my kingsise bed ????

"I should have said that the Afterburner is an open source heater controller project invented by a guy is Australia. You can download the plans and firmware to build you own or, if you are an electronic numpty like me, but one ready built by the guy that designed them.

Really interested in this!! Going to go take a look!

Among other things the Afterburner has:

Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity.

Better control over the heater fuel/air settings

Better timers, i.e. 14 timers that can be set daily or weekly to turn the heater on and off. (The standard controller only appears to turn it on)

A mode that allows the heater to suspend when a target temp is reached, restarting when the temp drops.

Running totals of time and fuel used.

There is more but they are the features that I use."

Norwich

"

"

Search Facebook groups for "afterburner open source". That is run by the guy that makes them

"

Search Facebook groups for "afterburner open source". That is run by the guy that makes them"

Yea not on fb so had to do it the google way!

Very interesting though..

"

Search Facebook groups for "afterburner open source". That is run by the guy that makes them"

Im not on facebook any more.. but i can alwsys make a fake profile on there!

I bought VW t5 panel van done most myself and traveled europe and uk ...get in and go ..diesel heater a must . Also have solar ...van comes in handy if not acom

By *hongman1Man  over a year ago

Mansfield

"I bought VW t5 panel van done most myself and traveled europe and uk ...get in and go ..diesel heater a must . Also have solar ...van comes in handy if not acom "

Pardon my ignorance but is a night heater only needed if you’re going to use the van in the winter? If I was thinking of summer uses only, would I be able to save myself the hassle and get away without fitting one?

"I bought VW t5 panel van done most myself and traveled europe and uk ...get in and go ..diesel heater a must . Also have solar ...van comes in handy if not acom

Pardon my ignorance but is a night heater only needed if you’re going to use the van in the winter? If I was thinking of summer uses only, would I be able to save myself the hassle and get away without fitting one? "

In the uk night heater comes in handy winter or summer...it allows to go off grid ..if on electric a small radiator is perfect . But I can use my van all yr round .

By *r MarmiteMan  over a year ago

Basildon

I’m looking into buying a Mercedes Sprinter 170 (longest wheelbase) to convert into a weekend van... any ideas that others have?

Still in the planning stages at the moment, where to our bed, shower and toilet... any info from others with the same sort of van would be helpful

By *uck-RogersMan  over a year ago

Portland

"I’m looking into buying a Mercedes Sprinter 170 (longest wheelbase) to convert into a weekend van... any ideas that others have?

Still in the planning stages at the moment, where to our bed, shower and toilet... any info from others with the same sort of van would be helpful "

Visit you tube. lots of various layouts and designs.

"

I priced it all up for my VW transporter but in end after costing it all for what I wanted only cost a couple of £k more to get it done professionally, no regrets as quite a lot can go wrong

» Add a new message to this topic