FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Chat room feedback/discussion > speaking another language in chat rooms

speaking another language in chat rooms

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was always under the impression that you had to speak english if in general chat room can someone plz clarify this for me as weve got a couple speaking i dont know what and its so disruptive thanx

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *ingerrrrWoman  over a year ago

Meath

There's no rule to say you have to speak only English anymore.

I'd suggest you block them and enjoy you chat experience.

By *isexmistressWoman  over a year ago

Prestwich

I swear someone was talking Turkish in one of the rooms...

Thing is,it looked like he was chatting to himself as no one could make out what he was saying

BECAUSE IT WAS IN TURKISH

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Donde esta un problema ?

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

Il y a une probleme? Pourquoi?

Cerrar pico coño

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

La règle a été supprimée

By *irty Girty From No 30Woman  over a year ago

Burbage

"I was always under the impression that you had to speak english if in general chat room can someone plz clarify this for me as weve got a couple speaking i dont know what and its so disruptive thanx"

I agree, in england speak english, in france speak french etc

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"I was always under the impression that you had to speak english if in general chat room can someone plz clarify this for me as weve got a couple speaking i dont know what and its so disruptive thanx

I agree, in england speak english, in france speak french etc"

It's not just an English site though and there are other official languages in the UK alone, not to mention other countries covered by Fab.

I'm not meaning to be critical, just highlighting that it's a bit of a thorny, convoluted issue. Not sure there's an easy answer.

Reminds me a bit about the Big Brother issue when two of the contestants were speaking Welsh. I've seen Welsh phrases used in the chatrooms - not whole conversations, just the odd word or two, much like real life.

By *aneandpaulCouple  over a year ago

cleveleys

The old saying which is now long forgotten

in this country of our,s WHEN IN ROME DO AS THE ROMAN,S DO

thers nuffin wrang wae us weegies chattin oor langwug

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

maent yn amlwg yn siarad amdanoch chi tu ôl i'ch cefn

West Wales and Cardiff

"The old saying which is now long forgotten

in this country of our,s WHEN IN ROME DO AS THE ROMAN,S DO "

What have they ever done for us

Buggers should have had more respect when they were here - "when on these Isles, do as the Celts do".

Being serious though, how does the "when in Rome" bit for websites. I don't mean you're wrong, I'm just trying to understand how things work. English is clearly the main language and I presume the site is registered in the UK (maybe if you class it as registered in England that might change things) It can be accessed by people worldwide though. What's to stop two Japanese people conversing in a chatroom in their language. Not sure where you draw the line.

I guess you take geography out of it all together and define it as an English Language site (rather than UK).

Sorry, just rambling and thinking out loud really.

By *irty Girty From No 30Woman  over a year ago

Burbage

"I was always under the impression that you had to speak english if in general chat room can someone plz clarify this for me as weve got a couple speaking i dont know what and its so disruptive thanx

It's not just an English site though and there are other official languages in the UK alone, not to mention other countries covered by Fab.

I'm not meaning to be critical, just highlighting that it's a bit of a thorny, convoluted issue. Not sure there's an easy answer.

Reminds me a bit about the Big Brother issue when two of the contestants were speaking Welsh. I've seen Welsh phrases used in the chatrooms - not whole conversations, just the odd word or two, much like real life."

This is england, if in english chat rooms speak english,

By *enard ArgenteMan  over a year ago

London and France

I guess it could be considered a bit impolite to exclude others from chat by using another language ( especially if you are making personal comments about a 3 rd person that they won't understand), but I see no issue in saying something in another language if I think the person will understand it. But having introduced myself that way, I would probably suggest we had our " second language" conversation privately....

Mae hyn yn fy yr Iaith frodorol

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

"Reminds me a bit about the Big Brother issue when two of the contestants were speaking Welsh. I've seen Welsh phrases used in the chatrooms - not whole conversations, just the odd word or two, much like real life.

This is england, if in english chat rooms speak english, "

Nid yw hyn yn unig yw lloegr .... sy'n rhoi dewis o ddefnyddio tair iaith ni

West Wales and Cardiff

Reminds me a bit about the Big Brother issue when two of the contestants were speaking Welsh. I've seen Welsh phrases used in the chatrooms - not whole conversations, just the odd word or two, much like real life.

This is england, if in english chat rooms speak english, "

Even, this looks very much like Wales from where I'm sitting .

England (and Wales) is part of the UK and Welsh is an official language of the UK.

I'm not saying this to be nationalistic - I'm just interested in how you run a site given that.

This could get quite contentious, you know?

Personally I/we take the attitude that the national language of the UK is English, it isn't just polite to use it but 101% necessary.

But, as my Welsh collogue has said, there were other residents who called these Islands their home before the Romans arrived. Let alone the damn Anglo-Saxon's, don't get me started on the Anglo-Saxons, damn German bastards . . . . we Welsh still remember the "Welsh Knot"!!!

West Wales and Cardiff

"This could get quite contentious, you know?

Personally I/we take the attitude that the national language of the UK is English, it isn't just polite to use it but 101% necessary.

But, as my Welsh collogue has said, there were other residents who called these Islands their home before the Romans arrived. Let alone the damn Anglo-Saxon's, don't get me started on the Anglo-Saxons, damn German bastards . . . . we Welsh still remember the "Welsh Knot"!!! "

Yeah, I'd use English, but then my Welsh isn't good enough (In from Little England.... originally).

I'm perfectly happy with the idea that English is the sensible language to use, just what stance is taken by fab if someone did use other languages, especially official UK ones.

Where do you draw lines etc - I regular see posters (zinc English ones based in Wales) talk about cwtches. Would even single words break a rule?

West Wales and Cardiff

Accept it could get contentious if people with hardline language views (either way) get involved.

I'm just trying to think of it practically though. I'm not a zealot!

Great point, no web-site could ban an official UK language without placing itself at the mercy of the "thought Police", they could only ask those using it to politely refrain and remember that the greater unwashed are German bastards . . OPPS . . sorry you English.

Nobody could take offence at a Welsh term being used in a complimentary manner . . are there Gaelic terms use too?

West Wales and Cardiff

"

Nobody could take offence at a Welsh term being used in a complimentary manner . . are there Gaelic terms use too?"

No, but how would someone who doesn't speak the language know if it was compliment or not?

I'm just wondering if Fab is a "UK site" really. Can any website be defined by geography?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

There is no rule to say you can't type in a different language.