FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Blocking Forum Members...Please?

Blocking Forum Members...Please?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *untalicious Couple OP   Couple  over a year ago

South Yorkshire

Please can we block other forum users?

I appreciate you want an open space for people to discuss almost everything and anything, which I totally accept ... but, our world can have a lot of people from many different backgrounds, social standings, political backgrounds and all manner that quite frankly are not compatible. It's an open space for people to voice their opinion, yes, but it's not an open space for us to have to accept it or tolerate it. A block button would help filter out the crap.

Personally, I've seen a lot of toxicity in the forums, especially surrounding the opening of clubs, there's been a lot of fake news, false statistics and poor justifications for attacks on the clubs. I've been banned (justifiably sometimes) for speaking my mind and had a friendly message to quite simply say:

'The forums are meant to be fun and if you feel your blood pressure rising as you read a message on there, maybe take a break from it for a short while? If there is a particular user bothering you, just skip over their posts or report to Admin if you think we need to take a look.'

The forums are not fun, but I still use them to keep up to date with clubs and events, really, it's the only reason we use and support fab. Telling people to 'skip over their posts' when they are posts that don't really bring anything to a conversation, off topic, continuously 'troll like' and baitey whilst ignoring user reports against them doesn't really help and a pretty poor user experience.

The forums would be a much more mellow place if users could block other users. Not a user account block, IP block please! We've had at least a few single guys make a new account to message us when we have blocked them.

Whilst we are there, it's time to open up the club sections again, sure we can go to each individual clubs website but I like the central location for it. The justification for keeping them closed has long since lapsed and guidelines have long, long been updated.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

Blocking posts from other people to view would confuse a thread, also the forums are online.

Admin will do their updates when they are ready, however, given the likelihood of more local restrictions and possible further lockdowns

Also most ip addresses are dynamic.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Blocking posts from other people to view would confuse a thread, also the forums are online.

Admin will do their updates when they are ready, however, given the likelihood of more local restrictions and possible further lockdowns

Also most ip addresses are dynamic. "

Is it not possible for block to work on a full thread? For example if I've started a thread - people who I have blocked cannot post on that thread at all. This would not confuse a thread as only people I haven't blocked could post on it.

South Yorkshire

Even just a blank space saying 'blocked post' would suffice.

I'm sure if it's relevant it will be picked up in quotes.

The majority of the people I'm talking about bring exactly zero to a discussion anyway.

I want that choice even if it confuses a thread...I consider myself at least half intelligent enough to pick up the pieces.

I'd be worried if I posted in a forum post and someone saw an event we were at which might filter through to people we don't want...no it can't ever be perfect but it's a start.

IPs are dynamic, yes. I would bet the demographic for desktop vs phone would be enough to block by device...theres a fingerprint by browser and the average user is not going to know in the slightest how to spoof that

I know fab can block new accounts made by IP, a blanket ban on all accounts from that IP thats ever used it is more than doable. It at least makes it harder for trolls...

Just some ideas...

Blocking a post would be no more confusing than removing a post, which is currently allowed and causes the confusion you're trying to avoid?

The confuse a thread is a non started argument imo. If it's linked the profile name then only the corresponding profiles wouldn't see the others post and everyone else can, also it makes the non static IP addresses as an argument also redundant.

A few other forums have implemented this suggestion very successfully for some time now.

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Would the post not just be removed for the person who’s done the blocking though? For example if I blocked OP (I’m not going to, they are lovely - just an example? Surely it would only ‘confuse’ me as I couldn’t see their post.

I know TOTALLY what OP is saying though it’s ok to say ‘just ignore everyone is entitled to their say’ but we can all see the ones who just troll for the sake of it and it’s uncomfortable to see.

"Would the post not just be removed for the person who’s done the blocking though? For example if I blocked OP (I’m not going to, they are lovely - just an example? Surely it would only ‘confuse’ me as I couldn’t see their post.

I know TOTALLY what OP is saying though it’s ok to say ‘just ignore everyone is entitled to their say’ but we can all see the ones who just troll for the sake of it and it’s uncomfortable to see. "

Unless I'm mistaken the OP is referring to other posts including their own that the blocked person comments in. They could also do as you suggest and those posts don't appear in forum updates too.

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Would the post not just be removed for the person who’s done the blocking though? For example if I blocked OP (I’m not going to, they are lovely - just an example? Surely it would only ‘confuse’ me as I couldn’t see their post.

I know TOTALLY what OP is saying though it’s ok to say ‘just ignore everyone is entitled to their say’ but we can all see the ones who just troll for the sake of it and it’s uncomfortable to see.

Unless I'm mistaken the OP is referring to other posts including their own that the blocked person comments in. They could also do as you suggest and those posts don't appear in forum updates too."

Oh ok. I think I just misunderstood x

Unless I'm mistaken the OP is referring to other posts including their own that the blocked person comments in. They could also do as you suggest and those posts don't appear in forum updates too.

Oh ok. I think I just misunderstood x"

well not really as your point does reflect along similar lines to what the OP was suggesting.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Other forums manage this by having a toggle interface.

"Person-U-Blocked has posted. Click here to view"

I think it'd slow down a lot of sniping.

"Other forums manage this by having a toggle interface.

I think it'd slow down a lot of sniping."

and clearly show it's deliberate too.

Great idea.

Manchester (she/her)

"Other forums manage this by having a toggle interface.

and clearly show it's deliberate too.

Great idea."

To be clear, Person U Blocked would be replaced by a username... I just wanted to pick something that'd be read as neutrally as possible, given the content

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

I think it'd slow down a lot of sniping."

I think that is a very optimistic view

Manchester (she/her)

"

I think that is a very optimistic view "

It'd reduce the temptation to look at people who annoy you. Or mine anyway. I read everything. If I have to toggle to view it, I'd be less likely to bother. (And it'd make it more clear who did it deliberately rather than having lapses)

By *moothman2000Man  over a year ago

Leicestershire

This seems easy on the surface, but it will have unconsidered consequences...

hat happens if you decide to block Fred but Susan replies to him and quotes what he's said?

Do you block Susan and anyone else that quotes what Fred ssys?

What happens if Fred starts a topic that your best mate John replies to, if Fred is blocked then the topic won't exist...

Personally, I'd love to be able to avoid the tediously dull conspiracy theorists, but I'd rsther tolerate and ignore them than loose everybody else...

Manchester (she/her)

"This seems easy on the surface, but it will have unconsidered consequences...

hat happens if you decide to block Fred but Susan replies to him and quotes what he's said?

Do you block Susan and anyone else that quotes what Fred ssys?

What happens if Fred starts a topic that your best mate John replies to, if Fred is blocked then the topic won't exist...

Personally, I'd love to be able to avoid the tediously dull conspiracy theorists, but I'd rsther tolerate and ignore them than loose everybody else...

"

On the other forums I've been part of, if you block A and B quotes A, you see it.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Another site I've used you would still see the post, and just would see the words "blocked user" instead of the name, so the thread made sense but you would not know who had actually posted some of the individual posts on it if you had blocked them.

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

As someone who fairly often gets into heated discussions with people, I don't think any posts should be blocked on the forums, everyone should be able to have their say even if it is a load of tripe.

"Another site I've used you would still see the post, and just would see the words "blocked user" instead of the name, so the thread made sense but you would not know who had actually posted some of the individual posts on it if you had blocked them."

"As someone who fairly often gets into heated discussions with people, I don't think any posts should be blocked on the forums, everyone should be able to have their say even if it is a load of tripe. "

One of fab rules is that if you're blocked from someone then you shouldn't reply to their comments in the forum. It can be seen as stirring at best and can receive a time out if reported.

One wouldn't get involved in a debate with a blocked person anyway for obvious reasons.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

The rule is you can't ask them to unblock you / ask them why they have blocked you or to mail you because you have them blocked.

You can answer anyone on the forum including people who have you blocked or vice versa as long as you are not causing trouble. Most people wouldn't know if they were blocked or not and mods wouldn't know either so wouldn't be able to police that

Dudley

"As someone who fairly often gets into heated discussions with people, I don't think any posts should be blocked on the forums, everyone should be able to have their say even if it is a load of tripe.

One of fab rules is that if you're blocked from someone then you shouldn't reply to their comments in the forum. It can be seen as stirring at best and can receive a time out if reported.

One wouldn't get involved in a debate with a blocked person anyway for obvious reasons."

I wouldn't have checked if I was blocked, I'm usually not interested in getting to know them so I wouldn't look at their profile

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

There wouldn't be much discussion in the forum if you only let people who agree with you post.

Manchester (she/her)

"There wouldn't be much discussion in the forum if you only let people who agree with you post. "

The idea is that everyone posts as normal, but you don't see the posts of people you've blocked (or can toggle to see them if you want to). In practice I sometimes use such a toggle, but usually don't, which means that any back biting that might go on would go right past me.

I don't block everyone I disagree with.

By *irginieWoman  over a year ago

Near Marlborough

I doubt it would achieve expected outcome.... ie “make the forum more fun for me”.

I don’t care if someone I’ve blocked comments. It’s not affecting my wellbeing or causing me physical harm. Me thinks some lightening up may be the answer.

V x

South Yorkshire

There's a difference between blocking people I disagree with and blocking people who consistently don't bring anything to a conversation.

I've no issues with people who I disagree with, that's definitely for those who need to lighten up.

I see some people who, purposely, don't bring anything to a conversation and simply go out of their way to bait an argument which derails the thread anyway making the discussion pointless.

If people wanna block people they disagree with, that's also their choice.

Well as the forums are on public view even if you're not logged in (in the way that usernames and photos are censored) all the blocked person has to do is log out then they could see the thread. Naturally they wouldn't be able to comment but they could still read it.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Good point

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

"Well as the forums are on public view even if you're not logged in (in the way that usernames and photos are censored) all the blocked person has to do is log out then they could see the thread. Naturally they wouldn't be able to comment but they could still read it."

I’ve never understood why the forums are on public view anyway, You should have to sign in to read them

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

"As someone who fairly often gets into heated discussions with people, I don't think any posts should be blocked on the forums, everyone should be able to have their say even if it is a load of tripe. "

"Well as the forums are on public view even if you're not logged in (in the way that usernames and photos are censored) all the blocked person has to do is log out then they could see the thread. Naturally they wouldn't be able to comment but they could still read it."

I only hope the press/police aren't reading them then

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Have you seen something illegal on the forum? Please report is so

"Have you seen something illegal on the forum? Please report is so"

I suggest you look in the "UK" thread, there are people organising gang bangs dogging, private parties,hotel meets etc etc....or is all that ok now...somehow, I dont think it is.

South Yorkshire

Case in point

Same people...

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Have you seen something illegal on the forum? Please report is so

I suggest you look in the "UK" thread, there are people organising gang bangs dogging, private parties,hotel meets etc etc....or is all that ok now...somehow, I dont think it is. "

There really is no need for the rudeness

Again if you have seen something that is illegal on the forum it is best to report it. Mods are not here 24 hours a day or reading every thread

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Have you seen something illegal on the forum? Please report is so

I suggest you look in the "UK" thread, there are people organising gang bangs dogging, private parties,hotel meets etc etc....or is all that ok now...somehow, I dont think it is.

There really is no need for the rudeness

Again if you have seen something that is illegal on the forum it is best to report it. Mods are not here 24 hours a day or reading every thread"

Having checked the section, the only meet requests that broke rules have been removed and the thread stopped by a mod

Just block and ignore people its the only real option.

South Yorkshire

"Just block and ignore people its the only real option. "

You can't block people that's the problem.

Dudley

"Just block and ignore people its the only real option.

You can't block people that's the problem. "

You can, just not on the forums, that's where the ignore comes into play.

"Well as the forums are on public view even if you're not logged in (in the way that usernames and photos are censored) all the blocked person has to do is log out then they could see the thread. Naturally they wouldn't be able to comment but they could still read it.

I’ve never understood why the forums are on public view anyway, You should have to sign in to read them "

I agree.

» Add a new message to this topic