FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > New section to the forums

New section to the forums

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Without wanting to make the forum look like a magazine supplement for a Sunday paper, how about a “Health and Wellbeing” section in the forums? There’s already a virus section and in the current climate, maybe this section might be quite good for discussions about physical and mental wellbeing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

That would be great OP.

Theres many changes fab could do .

But after many yrs we are all still here regardless.

Definitely room for mental health n wellbeing

Dating side too.

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Without wanting to make the forum look like a magazine supplement for a Sunday paper, how about a “Health and Wellbeing” section in the forums? There’s already a virus section and in the current climate, maybe this section might be quite good for discussions about physical and mental wellbeing?"

We have bikers, camping and games already, I don't see why Health and Wellbeing wouldn't be a great addition.

Great idea.

E

Sounds like a good idea!

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I think a Health forum would be used far more than the Canada one.

It’s a great idea but needs a lot of backing to maybe get it implemented!!

The forums have helped me personally health wise a couple of times.

T

These things fit perfectly well in the lounge though so I don't really see the need.

There could be an argument to have a section for almost every topic.

Anything that doesn't fit into a specific forum section goes in the lounge.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

This is my personal opinion.

I'm extremely wary of health advice given on the net by lay men and women. Obviously people have a lot of experience of their own health issues or those close to them but it's so easy to fake knowledge about this stuff

"This is my personal opinion.

I'm extremely wary of health advice given on the net by lay men and women. Obviously people have a lot of experience of their own health issues or those close to them but it's so easy to fake knowledge about this stuff "

Absolutely.

Also we have seen many threads in the lounge about health turn sideways and turn into people bashing people or body shaming so I just think it's a bad idea.

Mental health threads often crop up in the lounge and are normally really positive and helpful so I just think it should stay put.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm extremely wary of health advice given on the net by lay men and women. Obviously people have a lot of experience of their own health issues or those close to them but it's so easy to fake knowledge about this stuff

Absolutely.

Also we have seen many threads in the lounge about health turn sideways and turn into people bashing people or body shaming so I just think it's a bad idea.

Mental health threads often crop up in the lounge and are normally really positive and helpful so I just think it should stay put."

Indeed.

I see a lot of misinformation presented as fact around health.

The South

Absolutely.

Mental health threads often crop up in the lounge and are normally really positive and helpful so I just think it should stay put.

Indeed.

I see a lot of misinformation presented as fact around health. "

Agreed.......

Linking to bone fide sources would be good, and sharing our own experiences.

There is a great support network in the forums for mental health issues I've noticed.

E

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Absolutely.

Indeed.

Agreed.......

There is a great support network in the forums for mental health issues I've noticed.

E"

only specific links are allowed so that would be difficult

Absolutely.

Indeed.

Agreed.......

E

only specific links are allowed so that would be difficult"

I do think maybe if there is a mental health thread but there could be some links that would be able to post.

Maybe like samaritans or mind but I guess that would be tricky.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Absolutely.

Indeed.

Agreed.......

E

I do think maybe if there is a mental health thread but there could be some links that would be able to post.

Maybe like samaritans or mind but I guess that would be tricky."

admins rules are recognised news web sites , Lovehoney, Wikipedia and Youtube

Absolutely.

Indeed.

Agreed.......

E

admins rules are recognised news web sites , Lovehoney, Wikipedia and Youtube "

OK you have just given me a thought so if I posted a link to mind or samaritans for example, YouTube channel that would be OK?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Absolutely.

Indeed.

Agreed.......

E

OK you have just given me a thought so if I posted a link to mind or samaritans for example, YouTube channel that would be OK?"

the forum rules say you can link to youtube

I think when it comes to mental health and wellbeing I think you should seek advice from professionals

"I think when it comes to mental health and wellbeing I think you should seek advice from professionals "

Agreed but it can be helpful to chat things through on the forum.

The mental health threads I have seen are normally fairly supportive and helpful.

Absolutely.

Indeed.

Agreed.......

E

OK you have just given me a thought so if I posted a link to mind or samaritans for example, YouTube channel that would be OK?

the forum rules say you can link to youtube "

"These things fit perfectly well in the lounge though so I don't really see the need.

There could be an argument to have a section for almost every topic.

Anything that doesn't fit into a specific forum section goes in the lounge."

I respectfully disagree for the following reasons ...

These things do not fit perfectly well into the Lounge. If one follows that logic to its natural conclusion the whole forum should be collapsed onto a single mega-topic called “The Lounge”. It also then begs the question as to why we already have other sections dedicated to different topic? As a general principle of forum structure, other forums adopt a similar ethos and have different sections - motor enthusiast sites, mumsnet, etc. I doubt they have it so wrong. In view of this, I don’t think that logic holds water. The reason sections exist is for ease of reference. If a person wants to get involved in, say, threads relating to “virus”, then they can get straight to them and dive in. The same would apply to health and wellbeing.

Would this mean a section for every topic? In my view no, as there would have to be sufficient interest for a subject to be elevated to the status of a section on the forum. It’s not a free-for-all.

A few posters have mentioned about the risk of posting advice in a health and wellbeing section and comparisons with other social media platforms.

I think it’s right that advice should not be given, but people sometimes like to share their experiences and input does not always relate to areas where professional advice should be sought. Backing up assertions with links isn’t a bad idea, but that’s really incumbent on the poster and there’s also the issue of links to junk science, etc. Moreover, some forums use “stickies” to set out ground rules etc. In any event, the forum already has threads where these kinds of topics are being discussed, so having a dedicated section is more a matter of putting it all in one place, i.e. it’s already happening. As for other social media platforms, similarly, they don’t seem bothered by the risk so why should the concern be any greater on fabs? In any even that’s why we have mods on the forum.

The South

"I think when it comes to mental health and wellbeing I think you should seek advice from professionals

Agreed but it can be helpful to chat things through on the forum.

The mental health threads I have seen are normally fairly supportive and helpful."

Same here, the ones I've seen have been lovely.

E

» Add a new message to this topic