FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Blocking and the forum...

Blocking and the forum...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ister C OP   Man  over a year ago

liverpool

Say you have someone blocked.

Would you like a feature that see's their forum posts blocked from your view too?

Thoughts...?

N.B. I understand the open premise of the forum and it's nature.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Some people ask if they’re on anyone’s hot list . We ask if we’re on people’s block list

liverpool

"Some people ask if they’re on anyone’s hot list . We ask if we’re on people’s block list "

Ha that made me chuckle am on more block lists than hotlists imo...

Nah, I like to see them to remind me why I blocked them.

By *eviants In DefianceCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

Doesn't really bother me to be honest. It's easy enough to ignore and not interact. It could make the forum quite unreadable depending on the amount of people someone has blocked.

Pxx

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Block someone who blocks you (it is possible) and their status updates appear on your block list, probably more of an issue than the forum

It should have their name in red….

Nah. I have blocked people whose opinions I really don’t like but not every post of theirs is going to be the shit I blocked them for. I block mostly as a note to self and then usually read my notes on why I blocked.

"Say you have someone blocked.

Would you like a feature that see's their forum posts blocked from your view too?

Thoughts...?

"

Personally, nope. I've been on a site that does this and it makes forum discussion quite fractured. I just don't want the blocked profile to see mine or be able to message me.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

It would be a good thing to have, I mean if you've blocked someone for being pushy or aggressive, you don't exactly want them seeing what socials etc your attending if their on the forums. I think it would be a good safety feature in that respect.

Mrs

"Some people ask if they’re on anyone’s hot list . We ask if we’re on people’s block list "

And are you on many peoples’s?

Yep I’d love to not see their forum posts too! I’d likely use block a lot more often

"Some people ask if they’re on anyone’s hot list . We ask if we’re on people’s block list

And are you on many peoples’s?"

More than likely

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

The forum would be empty for me

I thought it already did……

……

Thoughts...?

Personally, nope. I've been on a site that does this and it makes forum discussion quite fractured. I just don't want the blocked profile to see mine or be able to message me. "

Agreed.

Although I think it works well as a feature on twitter I must admit.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

"I thought it already did……

……"

Nope sorry I can still see your posts

Thoughts...?

Personally, nope. I've been on a site that does this and it makes forum discussion quite fractured. I just don't want the blocked profile to see mine or be able to message me.

Agreed.

Although I think it works well as a feature on twitter I must admit. "

It does actually. In about 10 years Fab will have the technology to manage it well.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

No,it often reinforces why I blocked them.

I don't like it when people try to use the forum to get round a block though.

I blocked my mates aunt on here ages ago

Yet that still doesn't stop her giving me the middle finger when I see her out in the local pub.

True story.

"Stupid bitch'

By *stbury DavenportMan  over a year ago

Nottingham

Thoughts...?

"

This would be brilliant. It's a common feature on other forums and has been for decades. It's just that Fab is a bit stuck in the late 90s or early 00s.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I'm not bothered ....

But a way for some people to block others forum posts would help some threads here !

Although I don't block for ppls views... Just shit messages. Or being a bit obsessive ...

"I thought it already did……

……

Nope sorry I can still see your posts "

Ouch.

Thoughts...?

This would be brilliant. It's a common feature on other forums and has been for decades. It's just that Fab is a bit stuck in the late 90s or early 00s."

That’s a time most of its users want to go back to

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I imagine bit would seriously impact on the ease of reading some threads making them quite difficult to follow.

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"I imagine bit would seriously impact on the ease of reading some threads making them quite difficult to follow."
depends who you are blocking ...

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I imagine bit would seriously impact on the ease of reading some threads making them quite difficult to follow."

A forum I use has a toggle option.

So if I block user Arsehole (apologies to actual user Arsehole, if they exist) instead of a post from Arsehole, it'll say "post from blocked user Arsehole. Click to view/hide".

It's not a difficult thing to learn to navigate

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I imagine bit would seriously impact on the ease of reading some threads making them quite difficult to follow.depends who you are blocking ... "

Plenty of people would never see my most valuable and erudite contributions again

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I imagine bit would seriously impact on the ease of reading some threads making them quite difficult to follow.

So if I block user Arsehole (apologies to actual user Arsehole, if they exist) instead of a post from Arsehole, it'll say "post from blocked user Arsehole. Click to view/hide".

It's not a difficult thing to learn to navigate"

I'm sure it isn't. Probably even I could manage it

Manchester (she/her)

"I imagine bit would seriously impact on the ease of reading some threads making them quite difficult to follow.

I'm sure it isn't. Probably even I could manage it "

I wasn't implying anything about you or anyone!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm sure it isn't. Probably even I could manage it

I wasn't implying anything about you or anyone!"

I know

Manchester (she/her)

I think a toggle or something would reduce the number of forum spats. If it takes an extra step to look at the output of a poster that gets your blood pressure up.

On other forums, I've seen "show post from Arsehole" and thought to myself "yeah I won't be doing that today". While without the block - they're words. I read the words. Sometimes without realising that Arsehole wrote it, until after I'm already annoyed

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

I can imagine an inordinate amount of Arseholes changing their profile names on the back of this thread...

...and prefixing it with Sphincter°¹² etc...

I. Mostly block to remind me not to message that individual again.

I block people I don't want to meet and people who direct message me from the forum. I am not bothered if they or I can still see each others posts.

Also bear in mind a lot of Fab members don't use the forum anyway.

It would be good if members who have reported someone for abuse could have them blocked on forum though.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Nah. I rarely block from the forum as most discussions I have on here stay here. If they started to DM me and be rude etc then I block them. I don't mind having discussions with people who's views I disagree with.

Blocking their posts on a public forum simply because you don't like the person seems a bit ott to me.

Yeah very much

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Yesterday I posted a lovely poem about the Queen's passing that I had found on a prominent social media site. The one, if you believe the disclaimers on people's profile, that owns, part owns or has a controlling interest in Fab.

The poem gave credit to its author I had no intention of promoting that site however I found myself banned from posting on the forum for 24hrs.

Have Mods no common sense or compassion? OK remove the post but is banning me proportionate?

"

Yes

If everyone is allowed to post links because they think it is a good cause, then the rule would be pointless. Disputing a ban on the forum is also against forum rules. Maybe have a read of them before you next post, here is the link.

https://www.fabswingers.com/content/forum-rules

Fab is independantly owned, it is not owned by another site

I think it would be good to have the option of:

1. Block on full site, including forum posts

Or

2. Block profile, continue to see forum posts

I personally would always opt for option 1.

Nottingham

It's not a difficult thing to learn to navigate"

Yep. Exactly this. It's very sensible and really common on more up-to-date forums.

I think it would be a terrible idea to not be able to see people you have blocked posts. Firstly there would be potentially gaps in posts that then wouldn't make sense also you wouldn't be able to see anything anybody had quoted to that person. Also potentially if A lot of people blocked that person they potentially wouldn't be able to post very much on the forums. An in my opinion that would be tantamount to bullying because it wouldn't take a lot for a group of people to decide to block the same person so they couldn't use the forums in the same way as everyone else.

Nottingham

"I think it would be a terrible idea to not be able to see people you have blocked posts. Firstly there would be potentially gaps in posts that then wouldn't make sense also you wouldn't be able to see anything anybody had quoted to that person. Also potentially if A lot of people blocked that person they potentially wouldn't be able to post very much on the forums. An in my opinion that would be tantamount to bullying because it wouldn't take a lot for a group of people to decide to block the same person so they couldn't use the forums in the same way as everyone else. "

Blocking someone would only mean you didn't see their posts. It wouldn't affect their ability to post at all. They wouldn't even know someone wasn't seeing their posts.

"I think it would be a terrible idea to not be able to see people you have blocked posts. Firstly there would be potentially gaps in posts that then wouldn't make sense also you wouldn't be able to see anything anybody had quoted to that person. Also potentially if A lot of people blocked that person they potentially wouldn't be able to post very much on the forums. An in my opinion that would be tantamount to bullying because it wouldn't take a lot for a group of people to decide to block the same person so they couldn't use the forums in the same way as everyone else.

Blocking someone would only mean you didn't see their posts. It wouldn't affect their ability to post at all. They wouldn't even know someone wasn't seeing their posts. "

Of course it would if you think about it. Say I start a thread and I have 6 people blocked Those people would be completely banned from commenting on my post.

Say I comment on somebody else's post And 5 people reply to that Using reply and quote They also wouldn't be able to see that.

It would definitely mean that some people would be excluded from quite a lot of the forum content.

Manchester (she/her)

"I think it would be a terrible idea to not be able to see people you have blocked posts. Firstly there would be potentially gaps in posts that then wouldn't make sense also you wouldn't be able to see anything anybody had quoted to that person. Also potentially if A lot of people blocked that person they potentially wouldn't be able to post very much on the forums. An in my opinion that would be tantamount to bullying because it wouldn't take a lot for a group of people to decide to block the same person so they couldn't use the forums in the same way as everyone else.

Blocking someone would only mean you didn't see their posts. It wouldn't affect their ability to post at all. They wouldn't even know someone wasn't seeing their posts. "

Yes, that's the way it's worked on several forums I've used - by default you don't see their posts. Otherwise nothing changes.

Nottingham

Blocking someone would only mean you didn't see their posts. It wouldn't affect their ability to post at all. They wouldn't even know someone wasn't seeing their posts.

Of course it would if you think about it. Say I start a thread and I have 6 people blocked Those people would be completely banned from commenting on my post.

Say I comment on somebody else's post And 5 people reply to that Using reply and quote They also wouldn't be able to see that.

It would definitely mean that some people would be excluded from quite a lot of the forum content.

"

That's not how forum blocks work, though. Anyone can comment or reply as normal. You personally just wouldn't see it. As discussed earlier in this thread, you'd see a message that says "[Person You Blocked] has commented. Show / Hide."

Seriously, this isn't some mad untested sci-fi technology we're making up as we go along. This has existed, and been successfully implemented on countless other forums, for decades.

That's not how forum blocks work, though. Anyone can comment or reply as normal. You personally just wouldn't see it. As discussed earlier in this thread, you'd see a message that says "[Person You Blocked] has commented. Show / Hide."

Seriously, this isn't some mad untested sci-fi technology we're making up as we go along. This has existed, and been successfully implemented on countless other forums, for decades."

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

Fab hasn't figured out notifications yet. I think anything more sophisticated is some way off...

Manchester (she/her)

Seriously, this isn't some mad untested sci-fi technology we're making up as we go along. This has existed, and been successfully implemented on countless other forums, for decades.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. "

I don't think you understand what we're saying, in our experience of using such systems.

Yes, it's a bit off-putting to open a thread and not be able to immediately see the OP. But it doesn't stop anyone from posting anything. And you can still see it if you toggle it.

I don't think you understand what we're saying, in our experience of using such systems.

Yes, it's a bit off-putting to open a thread and not be able to immediately see the OP. But it doesn't stop anyone from posting anything. And you can still see it if you toggle it."

Of course it does say for example I start a thread anybody I have blocked is barred from commenting on that thread. There are people that will use this as a way deliberately excluding people and there is no denying that. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why somebody who has been blocked shouldn't be able to see what you have posted, There are rules in place already to stop people using the forums and Cam rooms to get round a block.

By *enelope2UWoman  over a year ago

Fife

Thoughts...?

"

Blocked should be blocked..I don't want to see their forums profile status etc and don't want them seeing any of mine.

liverpool

Thoughts...?

Blocked should be blocked..I don't want to see their forums profile status etc and don't want them seeing any of mine."

But what if you blocked them simply because they didn't meet your meeting criteria... surely you would still enter into a discussion with them?

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, it's a bit off-putting to open a thread and not be able to immediately see the OP. But it doesn't stop anyone from posting anything. And you can still see it if you toggle it.

Of course it does say for example I start a thread anybody I have blocked is barred from commenting on that thread. There are people that will use this as a way deliberately excluding people and there is no denying that. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why somebody who has been blocked shouldn't be able to see what you have posted, There are rules in place already to stop people using the forums and Cam rooms to get round a block. "

In what forum, here or otherwise, does a block stop someone from engaging in a thread?

I've never seen such a thing and it's not what we're suggesting. You're arguing against something that we're not saying.

By *enelope2UWoman  over a year ago

Fife

Thoughts...?

Blocked should be blocked..I don't want to see their forums profile status etc and don't want them seeing any of mine.

But what if you blocked them simply because they didn't meet your meeting criteria... surely you would still enter into a discussion with them? "

Nope not interested is not interested.. I don't entertain what doesn't fit. I don't have fake friends either we get along align or we don't.

Of course it does say for example I start a thread anybody I have blocked is barred from commenting on that thread. There are people that will use this as a way deliberately excluding people and there is no denying that. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why somebody who has been blocked shouldn't be able to see what you have posted, There are rules in place already to stop people using the forums and Cam rooms to get round a block.

In what forum, here or otherwise, does a block stop someone from engaging in a thread?

I've never seen such a thing and it's not what we're suggesting. You're arguing against something that we're not saying."

No purpose whatsoever would be served by people not being able to see someone's forum posts it's as simple as that. So it's pointless changing it.

Thoughts...?

But what if you blocked them simply because they didn't meet your meeting criteria... surely you would still enter into a discussion with them?

Nope not interested is not interested.. I don't entertain what doesn't fit. I don't have fake friends either we get along align or we don't."

So because you wouldn't meet someone sexually means you don't want to see their opinions on things? The forums is quite separate to the rest of the site in a lot of ways.

Manchester (she/her)

I've never seen such a thing and it's not what we're suggesting. You're arguing against something that we're not saying.

No purpose whatsoever would be served by people not being able to see someone's forum posts it's as simple as that. So it's pointless changing it. "

I believe points were addressed above. But you do you

No purpose whatsoever would be served by people not being able to see someone's forum posts it's as simple as that. So it's pointless changing it.

I believe points were addressed above. But you do you "

And I disagree with them and I also think you're constant you be you is rather condescending. I don't need your permission to post anything or disagree with anything.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

This is happening a lot lately, can you both just ignore each other please.

This is the feedback section, it isn't for people to be arguing.

[Removed by poster at 11/09/22 11:52:40]

Thoughts...?

"

It would make some of the threads look disjointed so i don't think it's a good idea.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Thoughts...?

It would make some of the threads look disjointed so i don't think it's a good idea.

"

I agree .. I only have 2 people blocked but I'm sure ive been blocked by some . And that's fine it's their issue not mine ..

But not to see their forum posts is too far

» Add a new message to this topic