FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Telegram

Telegram

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *onicZ OP   Man 10 weeks ago

Nottinghamshire

If Fab are going to ban the sharing of telegram groups for events, which are usually an excellent way to break the ice, especially for someone like myself* then perhaps they could offer something similar instead of being narrow minded and just doing a blanket ban?

It's not like people are going to deflect from the site due to a group set up for an event.

I'm sure there are reasons, but please consider an a alternative or just relax the ban.

* (I'm deaf and struggle to connect in clubs due to how loud they are, but can usually connect with people before hand so it's not as daunting)

Hopefully this is seen as constructive and not an attack and I do invite the admin to message me to discuss alternatives or even share things I may have missed in regards to this move, but right now it seems crazy and you're cutting off a lot of people's accessibility to these events for reasons above

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *hantelle-La-SlutTV/TS 10 weeks ago

South Birmingham

I think you are totally correct about allowing link to chat app to be posted for events at club.

It does help break the ice between people before they meet.

An alternative would be for fab to create group chats functionality for event organiser to create them. But this would require a big upgrade and rewrite of the website.

Nottinghamshire

"I think you are totally correct about allowing link to chat app to be posted for events at club.

It does help break the ice between people before they meet.

An alternative would be for fab to create group chats functionality for event organiser to create them. But this would require a big upgrade and rewrite of the website.

"

Exactly my point. If they're to ban something then fine but provide us an alternative. It doesn't even need to be on the main site, there are plenty of chat scripts that can run on a sub domain and event organisers given access to create new groups. It's not rocket science as a Web developer and host myself I could probably throw something together.

The main issue here is it's also cutting off accessibility, which is very short sighted

By *uby RougeWoman 10 weeks ago

East Midlands

I love chatting to people on Telegram pre events and even post events!

If the spam is an issue then really the site need to be updated to allow live chats etc.

By *rozac_fairyCouple 10 weeks ago

Tamworth

Agreed.

Group chats allow people to connect pre-event, we've seen single people find nerves drop a little, ice breakers are provided, the hosts and club staff are often monitoring which also helps people get questions answered effectively.

It's an amazing tool for the social aspect of swinging for everyone.

The ban makes no sense especially given the volume of phone numbers, SC details and personal contact information we constantly find in our inbox. Why then a group chat link would be banned is beyond me.

By *bi HaiveMan 10 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

So far as I'm aware (and I'll double check for you) there's only a ban on them being posted publicly in forums, status updates etc and weve been asked to remove them if seen. Event organisers can be contacted privately - I did it myself just yesterday and have done for many previous events.

Any personal contact info shouldn't be shared publicly anywhere on here for safety reasons. You don't have to be a user of Fab to view forum threads so there's a risk of anything posted being used for ulterior purposes.

I agree they're really useful ice breakers for events and good methods of communicating event details such as locations that you don't want to be available to all and sundry. But the safety aspect had to be taken into account too.

By *ugby 123Couple 10 weeks ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

As above, there is no ban on people sharing contact details in mail for most people. They are not allowed on the forum or in some cases they are not allowed on profiles. ( spammers / con merchants etc )

Did someone tell you they are banned OP?

By *hantelle-La-SlutTV/TS 10 weeks ago

South Birmingham

"As above, there is no ban on people sharing contact details in mail for most people. They are not allowed on the forum or in some cases they are not allowed on profiles. ( spammers / con merchants etc )

Did someone tell you they are banned OP?"

i am sure i have tried to send a telegram link via private message and this was blocked.

Chantelle.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

They are not normally blocked as a matter of course.. It may have been something else you had written.

Nottinghamshire

"As above, there is no ban on people sharing contact details in mail for most people. They are not allowed on the forum or in some cases they are not allowed on profiles. ( spammers / con merchants etc )

Did someone tell you they are banned OP?"

Yes, event organisers have been unable to share the links.

They've also been told they're no longer allowed to promote but that's another issue all together

Nottinghamshire

Thanks for the responses by the way @Mods! Appreciate it

Forum Mod

O o O oo

https://www.fabswingers.com/forum/feedback/532523

Confirmation from high up on this thread

Forum Mod

O o O oo

They've also been told they're no longer allowed to promote but that's another issue all together"

Yeah that's not true.

All event hosts and clubs have been sent a mail this week with the rules of Club / event advertising . It doesn't say they can't advertise an event or use KIK etc in a mail. If they have been blocked from using links in mail, it will be because that link isn't allowed and probably against the rules set.

It might be best the people who told you this to read the mail again.

However, if you mean an event profile has been banned from advertising, then they will have been breaking the rules that were sent.

By *bi HaiveMan 10 weeks ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

They've also been told they're no longer allowed to promote but that's another issue all together"

It may be that it's the link that's the issue. Web links semt via PM are an issue. But sending your Telegram ID to an event organiser to be added to a private group isn't - I did it last night.

Event organisers can ask attendees to contact them privately to be added and this limits access to those on guest/event lists only. A little bit more work for organisers than sending out links but not much and most importantly it works doing it that way.