FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > BB Code in profiles

BB Code in profiles

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I propose the addition of a BBCode feature to the Profile editor.

This would allow people to at least apply basic text formatting to their profiles. Allowing them to highlight things of importance, make their profiles easier to read and generally stop most profiles looking identical and tedious (and therefor encourage people to read the entire profile not just skim over it).

BBCode is exceptionally easy to add, with minimal server load, in fact you can actually write a client side javascript/jQuery function that would do the conversion and just leave the BB Code in the database with no additional server side work.

Alternatively there are several easily customisable, and often free, WYSIWYG text editors, such as wyzz and TinyMCE etc that can also easily be added and configured as a secure alternative to BB Code.

Btw, yes I'm a web developer by profession, and understand the needs of a high volume site like Fabswingers.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uppy ConquerorMan  over a year ago

dundee

I thought you meant bare backers

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I propose the addition of a BBCode feature to the Profile editor.

This would allow people to at least apply basic text formatting to their profiles. Allowing them to highlight things of importance, make their profiles easier to read and generally stop most profiles looking identical and tedious (and therefor encourage people to read the entire profile not just skim over it).

BBCode is exceptionally easy to add, with minimal server load, in fact you can actually write a client side javascript/jQuery function that would do the conversion and just leave the BB Code in the database with no additional server side work.

Alternatively there are several easily customisable, and often free, WYSIWYG text editors, such as wyzz and TinyMCE etc that can also easily be added and configured as a secure alternative to BB Code.

Btw, yes I'm a web developer by profession, and understand the needs of a high volume site like Fabswingers."

I'd love to be able to bold, underline and italic things........I get really frustrated with the profile text edit feature some times.

"I propose the addition of a BBCode feature to the Profile editor."

With all the rubbish and frankly, rather expensive (for men) NSA sites, and the seeming growing popularity of in'ere, for everyone seeking allsorts,

I would've thought a few more checkboxes in our profiles as to who we are and what we're looking for,,,

i.e, attached, singles.

would save a lot of wasted time (for men) messaging and cut down on unwanted mail for women?

@Duppy

BBCode is a feature that was added to forums and bulletin boards (BulletinBoardCode - BBCode) that allowed posters to perform simple text formatting without using HTML (the language websites are written in).

By using codes such as [B]some bold text here[/B] it is possible to make a boring flat profile or post look more interesting. The [B][/B] codes are translated by the server or the page into the correct HTML tags to make text appear bold.

There are loads of standard tags including ones for bold, italic, underline, strike through, larger font, smaller font, font colour, background colour... as well as tags that are usually disabled for things like images and links.

@kernick

While a good idea, that's really a separate thread topic to this one.

By *dwalu2Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Proper quotes boxes in the forums wouldn't go amiss, either!

By *all-Eddies QosCouple  over a year ago

wirral

"I thought you meant bare backers"

me too ha

By *heRainManMan  over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

The [b]trouble[/b] is that [u]some[/u] [i]people[/i] would get [size=7]carried[/size] [size=24]away[/size] [color=darkred]w[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=orange]t[/color][color=brown]h[/color] [color=yellow]t[/color][color=green]h[/color][color=olive]e[/color][color=cyan]m[/color][color=blue]s[/color][color=darkblue]e[/color][color=indigo]v[/color][color=violet]e[/color][color=white]s[/color][size=24]![/size]

Yes, that is one consideration... but lets face it, with a limited list of BBCodes, you can reduce the eyesores, and if peple get carried away, it's only thier own profile they're hurting, with client side conversion the BBCode is just text in a database field and would have the same size limitations, so over achievers are only hurting themselves lol

Yikes my brain hurts!

People who take time to read profiles would read regardless, people who just look at photos and message accordingly will continue regardless. Different strokes for different folks.

By *eaven17Man  over a year ago

Preston

I agree with having BBcoding, Its a great idea and many other very basic websites use it. And its obviously in place on here in one form which are the smilies.

"The [b]trouble[/b] is that [u]some[/u] [i]people[/i] would get [size=7]carried[/size] [size=24]away[/size] [color=darkred]w[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=orange]t[/color][color=brown]h[/color] [color=yellow]t[/color][color=green]h[/color][color=olive]e[/color][color=cyan]m[/color][color=blue]s[/color][color=darkblue]e[/color][color=indigo]v[/color][color=violet]e[/color][color=white]s[/color][size=24]![/size]

"

this is exactly why i want bbcode...

OP yeah i would also like to use some bbcode in my profile, (not just for rainbows)but maybe some bold to make certain things stand out in your profile for people who can't be bothered to read your profile properly.

» Add a new message to this topic