FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Empty chatrooms

Empty chatrooms

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ilthythanet OP   Couple  over a year ago

ramsgate

We've noticed that only the directing room ever seems to get used.

Would it be possible to remove the unused ones and replace them with ones that would be a bit more useful, like one for verified users only or verified couples only?

Also, would there be any chance there could be a box you can tick (or untick) to prevent the room from scrolling down when a new message gets posted? It makes it difficult to scroll back up and look and view earlier messages.

Thanks

x

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

If you are talking about the new chatrooms then they will get busier if or when the old chatrooms are closed, most people are used to the old rooms and therefore stay in them for now.

If there was a box to tick to stop the room scrolling down then how would you know if there was a new message posted in the room for you? Once you have read the earlier messages once why would you need to read them again later?

It would get totally confusing trying to keep up with old and new messages meant for you when you ticked then unticked the "no scroll" box would it not?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The new 'Ireland' chatroom is getting busy, mostly in the evenings which is understandable due to folks daytime comittments.

There's also users lack of desire to change.

I think the new chat is FAB, excuse the pun!

Bippy

ramsgate

"If you are talking about the new chatrooms then they will get busier if or when the old chatrooms are closed, most people are used to the old rooms and therefore stay in them for now.

"

Didn't realise there were new chatrooms.

Rooms are currently

General Chat ..(4 users)

Directing Room ..(153 users)

London Swingers ..(0 users)

Scotland Swingers ..(0 users)

Wales Swingers ..(0 users)

Ireland Swingers ..(0 users)

California Swingers ..(0 users)

Canadian Swingers ..(0 users)

Lobby ..(0 users)

as of 00.30 this morning. Not seen any 'new' rooms over the past 2 years.

"

If there was a box to tick to stop the room scrolling down then how would you know if there was a new message posted in the room for you? Once you have read the earlier messages once why would you need to read them again later?

"

You could untick it again or just scroll down.

Because sometimes you miss a message and want scroll back!?

"

It would get totally confusing trying to keep up with old and new messages meant for you when you ticked then unticked the "no scroll" box would it not?"

No, one would just stop automatic scrolling, the other would re-enable it. The earlier messages are always there if you scroll up using the bar of the right. All the tick box would do would be to stop it from showing the latest message shown when it was posted. This option already exist in a number of chatrooms and doesn't cause any problems.

By *eclan_and_AimeeCouple  over a year ago

dunblane, stirling

not sure what chatrooms your checking but i've just checked and they all seem fairly busy?

maybe you have a bug?

xAx

ramsgate

"not sure what chatrooms your checking but i've just checked and they all seem fairly busy?

maybe you have a bug?

xAx"

Ah OK, we were talking about the rooms on new chat. Didn't realise that they weren't then same rooms!

Tayside

"not sure what chatrooms your checking but i've just checked and they all seem fairly busy?

maybe you have a bug?

xAx"

It must be the new chatrooms they are talking about and not the original "userplane" chatrooms as I can't believe there is no one at all chatting in the Scotland Room at 12.30am, it's usually the second busiest room next to the directing one!

Still think the scrolling and no scrolling would get very confusing and folks would miss lots of new messages meant for them.

But, as always, that's just my opinion!

ramsgate

maybe you have a bug?

xAx

It must be the new chatrooms they are talking about and not the original "userplane" chatrooms as I can't believe there is no one at all chatting in the Scotland Room at 12.30am, it's usually the second busiest room next to the directing one!

Still think the scrolling and no scrolling would get very confusing and folks would miss lots of new messages meant for them.

But, as always, that's just my opinion! "

Our suggestions would only apply to the new chat. Not used the old one to remember.

Again, not sure how it would be confusing because you would still receive the new messages, they'd just be at the bottom of the chat window.

Just like in the forums, you could scroll up and view older messages and then scroll back down to the bottom to read the most recent one.

Tayside

maybe you have a bug?

xAx

Our suggestions would only apply to the new chat. Not used the old one to remember.

Again, not sure how it would be confusing because you would still receive the new messages, they'd just be at the bottom of the chat window.

Just like in the forums, you could scroll up and view older messages and then scroll back down to the bottom to read the most recent one.

"

Has the new "Beta" chatrooms been going for 2 years now then? I didn't think it was that long.

Anyway, you are not really getting how chatrooms work, there can be a high number of people in chat at the same time (this would apply too when it is only the new chatrooms that are in use on the site only, when the "userplane" ones are stopped) and if you stopped the room at certain points there could be hundreds of new messages posted in the time it took you to start the scrolling again, you would then have to look through them all to find any messages that were directed at you and in the time it took you to do that there could be a few hundred more newly posted messages and so it would go on and on and on!

That's the "confusing" bit I am talking about. The best advice to give you is to learn to "spead read" as I have done over the 9 years or so I have been using chatrooms otherwise if your idea of "scrolling/stop scrolling" was used you would end up way behind the current chat and when you went to answer a post for you the chatter could have left the room.

After all that explaining my head hurts, so i'm now off to sleep!

ramsgate

maybe you have a bug?

xAx

Has the new "Beta" chatrooms been going for 2 years now then? I didn't think it was that long.

Anyway, you are not really getting how chatrooms work, there can be a high number of people in chat at the same time (this would apply too when it is only the new chatrooms that are in use on the site only, when the "userplane" ones are stopped) and if you stopped the room at certain points there could be hundreds of new messages posted in the time it took you to start the scrolling again, you would then have to look through them all to find any messages that were directed at you and in the time it took you to do that there could be a few hundred more newly posted messages and so it would go on and on and on!

That's the "confusing" bit I am talking about. The best advice to give you is to learn to "spead read" as I have done over the 9 years or so I have been using chatrooms otherwise if your idea of "scrolling/stop scrolling" was used you would end up way behind the current chat and when you went to answer a post for you the chatter could have left the room.

After all that explaining my head hurts, so i'm now off to sleep! "

Thanks for the incredibly patronising message.

I've only been using chatrooms for about 16 years, since I studied computing as part of my degree in 1994 so clearly don't have any reasonable understanding of how they work.

The method i'm suggesting seems to work fine on IRC so i'm guessing that even someone as ignorant as me could cope with scrolling up, and down. If you can speed read then i'm sure you quickly catch up on the messages you missed in the few seconds it would take to scroll up and back down again.

If it was an enormous problem then just NOT ticking the 'disable autoscrolling' box would always be an option.

ramsgate

"

"

And no, they've only been going for 1 year, but assumed the new chat was just a different interface for the chat server, so didn't realise that they were entirely seperate.

Tayside

I will leave my answering this thread there as I didn't patronise you or call you ignorant but just tried to explain that at busy times the chat moves so fast it would get confusing stopping and starting it, nothing more nothing less.

Right, my head is getting sore again, so off I go!

» Add a new message to this topic