FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Forum timeouts - a suggestion

Forum timeouts - a suggestion

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Might I make a suggestion with regard to notification messages when a user is issued with a forum timeout for one reason or another.

Without wishing to go into any specific details (I am aware that discussing timeouts is frowned upon and I have no wish to fall foul of forum rules), I am aware that when a user is informed that they are to be excluded from contributing to the forum for a specified period, the reason for the timeout is given in the notification message.

However, it may be helpful to also include a copy of the offending post within this notification message.

As someone who is a regular contributor to the forum and who may make many, many posts in a single day, simply being issued with a reason for a timeout can be confusing, especially if the offending post was not made with any intention of breaching forum rules.

Surely, in the spirit of 'learning from ones mistakes' it is far better to understand exactly what mistake has been made in order to avoid making a similar mistake in the future.

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A good post sir.

"Might I make a suggestion with regard to notification messages when a user is issued with a forum timeout for one reason or another.

Without wishing to go into any specific details (I am aware that discussing timeouts is frowned upon and I have no wish to fall foul of forum rules), I am aware that when a user is informed that they are to be excluded from contributing to the forum for a specified period, the reason for the timeout is given in the notification message.

However, it may be helpful to also include a copy of the offending post within this notification message.

As someone who is a regular contributor to the forum and who may make many, many posts in a single day, simply being issued with a reason for a timeout can be confusing, especially if the offending post was not made with any intention of breaching forum rules.

Surely, in the spirit of 'learning from ones mistakes' it is far better to understand exactly what mistake has been made in order to avoid making a similar mistake in the future.

"

We were going to post something very similar.

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

I think the reason that they don't is that would invite discussion, not what admin are after. Just take it on the chin. If you do the crime serve the time.

"I think the reason that they don't is that would invite discussion, not what admin are after. Just take it on the chin. If you do the crime serve the time. "

What if you genuinely do not think you broke the rules then surely you should have right to challenge it otherwise its like censorship without proof.

This is a very good idea.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"I think the reason that they don't is that would invite discussion, not what admin are after. Just take it on the chin. If you do the crime serve the time. "

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of my suggestion.

While not wishing to speak about any personal experiences, I would argue that if one has been given a timeout for a post that they may have made without any intention of breaching forum rules - and may have only done so by the technicality of how they worded the post, it may be the case that they disagree with being given a forum timeout.

Not only that, but by not being made aware of exactly which post has breached the rules, they run the risk of making the same mistake again.

My suggestion had absolutely nothing to do with not accepting a timeout. It was much more about ensuring clarity and helping users understand what is and what is not acceptable.

I think what the OP has suggested is a great idea. When you receive a ban and you have put a few posts up and none of them seem 'ban worthy' admin won't state which one the ban is for. Surely clarity in this situation would be helpful.

By *rsIdiotWoman  over a year ago

Bedworth

Completely agree. For those who post on forums a lot it can be difficult to know which post out of many can be the reason for the time out.

If we do not know what we have done wrong, we cannot ensure that we don't repeat it again and again. If we were told what we have done then it should reduce the recurrences and so, reduce the amount of work that the mods and admin team have to do......this can only be a good thing for all

"Completely agree. For those who post on forums a lot it can be difficult to know which post out of many can be the reason for the time out.

If we do not know what we have done wrong, we cannot ensure that we don't repeat it again and again. If we were told what we have done then it should reduce the recurrences and so, reduce the amount of work that the mods and admin team have to do......this can only be a good thing for all"

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

If this could be done I think it would be a great idea.

I have been asked in the past why a person was banned and have pasted what post I banned for and people remember then what they have said and accepted it. Having said that, the ban reason will normally give you a big clue as to what is for and most people know what threads they have posted to...so if a post is missing it was probably that particular one.

On another note, yes you ask Admin to review any ban if you think a mod may have it wrong. Admin will lift it for you and let you know if the ban wasn't right, if it is the right ban you won't hear anything.

I got banned for spamming the forums, took me a while to figure out that a comedy link to a fake forums was the reason. I wasn't bothered, only got 24 hrs time out.

Tbh I no before I post Im Ggonna get a ban but post anyway cos I feel it needs to be said for whatever reason x

I have in the past thought I knew what the ban was for then seen others that have posted very similarly in the same thread not receive bans....so then left completely clueless.....it would be a good move to know for sure.

Forum Mod

I think it would be a great idea

People seem to forget what they've posted,if it was there in black and white then it makes it very clear

By *opping_candyWoman  over a year ago

West Yorkshire

I've asked for clarification before and got a message back with a copy and paste of what the offence was so seemingly it can be done. Would be helpful if done automatically

"

"

I could add to that though. ....

"I've asked for clarification before and got a message back with a copy and paste of what the offence was so seemingly it can be done. Would be helpful if done automatically "

I've done that and got banned again.

"Disputing moderator decisions"

....apparently.

I think it should be done automatically along with a notification that it was either a moderator who saw the offending post or someone who thought it was aimed at them. I've known people to abuse the report button because they are a bit precious.

"Tbh I no before I post Im Ggonna get a ban but post anyway cos I feel it needs to be said for whatever reason x"

Same here ??

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"I think it should be done automatically along with a notification that it was either a moderator who saw the offending post or someone who thought it was aimed at them. I've known people to abuse the report button because they are a bit precious. "

It wouldn't matter what other people think of posts or if someone reports a post...the only time a ban is given is if the mod thinks it is against rules.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Ok maybe time to put this to bed as it isn't fair people posting half truths when mods can't answer them and why Admin have the rule of if you have feedback about a ban it needs to be sent to them rather than the forum.

1. If you have a ban you don't agree with do as Admin ask and contact them, if the ban is wrong they will lift it and let you know, if it is the right ban you won't hear anything.

Admin know and mods will agree that they sometimes get it wrong, so they do make good if needed.

Admin have read the thread so if they are going to implement it I am sure they will let us all know with a thread.