FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > A plea to whoever keeps setting up long usernames

A plea to whoever keeps setting up long usernames

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Right, whoever it is that thinks its funny to set up ridiculously long usernames and then go into chat with them, please stop.

For one it is very childish and wastes mods time banning them and reporting the profile. It also then takes up the site owners time dealing with the report of the profiles. Admins and mods time can be better spent protecting the integrity of the site and smooth running of the chat room. Sj and mark make many improvments to the site, if they are dealing with some peoples idea of a laugh all the time then the site as a whole and the members will suffer.

Profiles that are fake will be instantly banned and ultimatley users IP addresses can be blocked too.

Also, any fake profiles that are not deleted will be taking up valueable server space which cost the site owners money.

Steve

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

who made u boss, i might pay just to change my username to stevestoplickingarsecosuaintthegod

so along name gets you a ban from chat...I think not!

cant see a problem with long screen names think they quite funny, I do agree witht he false profiles tho so many ppl have quite a few lol I just got this one if i tried to do anotherprofile i would probably forget who i was xx

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

no one made me boss, did i say that i was? No.

The chat rooms and the site are here for the use of us all, if individuals would like to carry on spoiling it then so be it but its the other users that will suffer as a consequence.

People having multiple profiles and setting up fake profiles are just a waste of time and resource. Most people on this site use it for free, lets all help to keep it that way.

Steve

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Sorry but I am lost, why would people get banned because they have a long name?

"no one made me boss, did i say that i was? No.

The chat rooms and the site are here for the use of us all, if individuals would like to carry on spoiling it then so be it but its the other users that will suffer as a consequence.

People having multiple profiles and setting up fake profiles are just a waste of time and resource. Most people on this site use it for free, lets all help to keep it that way.

Steve"

why is a long name ruining the site? god some people are so picky and moany u could be a fun meet, not!!

"Sorry but I am lost, why would people get banned because they have a long name?"

The person that keeps setting up these profiles with the long usernames has muliple profile......and is using these profiles to annoy people in the room. The problem is not the acutal long username its the fact they keep coming on the site with new profiles to annoy room members.

"no one made me boss, did i say that i was? No.

Steve

why is a long name ruining the site? god some people are so picky and moany u could be a fun meet, not!!"

no need to get personal atall....there are reasons why the member was banned !

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Sorry but I am lost, why would people get banned because they have a long name?

The person that keeps setting up these profiles with the long usernames has muliple profile......and is using these profiles to annoy people in the room. The problem is not the acutal long username its the fact they keep coming on the site with new profiles to annoy room members."

Report the profile, they probably won't be reading the forums and equally probably won't take any notice of someone on here telling them to stop

"Sorry but I am lost, why would people get banned because they have a long name?

The person that keeps setting up these profiles with the long usernames has muliple profile......and is using these profiles to annoy people in the room. The problem is not the acutal long username its the fact they keep coming on the site with new profiles to annoy room members."

yawwwwwn, then its for the mod to sort out init its there job not someone to come on here and try to tell them off!

The person that keeps setting up these profiles with the long usernames has muliple profile......and is using these profiles to annoy people in the room. The problem is not the acutal long username its the fact they keep coming on the site with new profiles to annoy room members.

Report the profile, they probably won't be reading the forums and equally probably won't take any notice of someone on here telling them to stop"

well they get banned, delete profile then come back on another profile....very persistent.... but yes we will report the profiles but the profile doesnt last long.

soz i agree with steveandj on this one as there was a long name id in chat other ngt an he was being a total fanny

was just in a daft id 2 be an arse xx

yawwwwwn, then its for the mod to sort out init its there job not someone to come on here and try to tell them off!"

steveandj and myself are mods .... and we are only trying to stop a member taking the piss in chat thats all.

being mods then u should know if they aint caring about ebing banned in chat like hell are they gonna listen to a forum post? just ban the ip address no need to get ya nickers in a twist

"being mods then u should know if they aint caring about ebing banned in chat like hell are they gonna listen to a forum post? just ban the ip address no need to get ya nickers in a twist"

we are only trying to make chat more pleasant for the users....whether or not the user reads this or not.......no reason to be insultive......

I was also in chat the nights that person was in, the names made up were just ridiculously long and the user was very insulting to all in chat. Thanks jands and steveandj for mod-ing the room so well, hope they read this and think about giving up on a bad joke xxxx

[Removed by poster at 28/06/09 23:42:22]

I suspect that once such a person is completely ignored they will get bored and go away. Banning such people just gives them a challenge. Responding to them gives them the attention they seek.

Anyway, that's whay I and all my other profiles think.

"Anyway, that's whay I and all my other profiles think".

Banning IPs isn't a simple solution, most people broadband ip changes each time they connect to the net work. Not alot of people choose to have their IP as static these days.

"Right, whoever it is that thinks its funny to set up ridiculously long usernames and then go into chat with them, please stop.

For one it is very childish and wastes mods time banning them and reporting the profile. It also then takes up the site owners time dealing with the report of the profiles. Admins and mods time can be better spent protecting the integrity of the site and smooth running of the chat room. Sj and mark make many improvments to the site, if they are dealing with some peoples idea of a laugh all the time then the site as a whole and the members will suffer.

Profiles that are fake will be instantly banned and ultimatley users IP addresses can be blocked too.

Also, any fake profiles that are not deleted will be taking up valueable server space which cost the site owners money.

Steve"

What a load of twaddle !!

I'm a mod and it's never wasted any of my time banning anyone. All I have to do is hit one key 'ban' and job done, regardless of the length of anyones name.

So far as reporting the profile , again all you need to do is click a button, regardless of the length of anyones name

So come on lets be honest, you simply don't like long names ...

"so along name gets you a ban from chat...I think not!"

Of course it doesn't

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

The length of usernames the site accepts seems too long. Thanks to everyone for pointing this out.

We'll fix and make it shorter.

Can't really blame people for making super long names if that is what the site accepts.

Admin x

"The length of usernames the site accepts seems too long. Thanks to everyone for pointing this out.

Can't really blame people for making super long names if that is what the site accepts.

Admin x"

no dont do it i am gonna change my name to

kittyandsjandmarksittingupatreekissingyeeehaaaaaagokitttty

please dont change it

"The length of usernames the site accepts seems too long. Thanks to everyone for pointing this out.

Admin x"

Well what absolute tosh.

Yours

fuckingdisgustedatthosewhocaveintothoswhohavenosoddinsenseofhumour.

I think stevandj and jands were appealing to one specific member who used very long id's, not anyone else who used long names.

okay admin

Ive just changed mine from rubytheridculousrubenesquerodgerer...what would you of done if I hadnt???

would I of had to change it????

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"

Ive just changed mine from rubytheridculousrubenesquerodgerer...what would you of done if I hadnt???

"

Nothing

i can see both sides of this....

long names are up to the individual, however if they are genuine then its their choice...certainly tricky for any sort of whispers in chat tho lol

As to the mods..i can well imagine it is tricker..as if you are issuing a warning then you need to type in the name. Now that doesnt mean you will die or lose a limb doing it, but does certainly take longer and i can well imagine it a pain in the arse.

That aside..do people really need to be so arsey and rude??

Does it make some feel happy or superior to insult?? Can people not make a point without resorting to bad attitudes?

Vol

xx

"Right, whoever it is that thinks its funny to set up ridiculously long usernames and then go into chat with them, please stop.

Steve

I'm a mod and it's never wasted any of my time banning anyone. All I have to do is hit one key 'ban' and job done, regardless of the length of anyones name.

So far as reporting the profile , again all you need to do is click a button, regardless of the length of anyones name

So come on lets be honest, you simply don't like long names ..."

not atall......yes we can report and ban but the person keeps deleting that profile and starting another....then comes in chat again with a new profile and starts being an idiot in chat.....we are not here on the site to cause bother or anything of the sort or ban folk for no reason the point is the person doing it is being a pain as stunna and vixen09 pointed out.

"I think stevandj and jands were appealing to one specific member who used very long id's, not anyone else who used long names. "

exactly that.....this particular member is causing a problem in the chatroom.

"so along name gets you a ban from chat...I think not!

Of course it doesn't "

your right yup.....the problem is the person that keeps using intentionally long names is coming in the room and being a right pain. We are only tring to stop the member coming in the room and doing so....so the point isnt the long name its the fact they are being a right pain.

Quite. And what happens if they are completely ignored ?

Or do they always get a response ?

Admin x"

It was pointed out 2 weeks ago, that very long names causes problems for others (squashes up title etc in forums for free member). But hey ho, depends how well ahead you can think I guess. (Probably peed that admin didn't consider it then.)

Forum Mod

O o O oo

It seems the complaint isn't about the size of the name , just a user who uses a long name and maybe more than one.

Steve

So come on lets be honest, you simply don't like long names ...

not atall......yes we can report and ban but the person keeps deleting that profile and starting another....then comes in chat again with a new profile and starts being an idiot in chat.....we are not here on the site to cause bother or anything of the sort or ban folk for no reason the point is the person doing it is being a pain as stunna and vixen09 pointed out."

Surely that is the case regardless of the length of their name though ??

They could equally rejoin the site with a short name and cause the same amount of trouble

Sorry guys, this thread has me completely baffled (not easy I hear you cry!). Long user names are irrelevant surely? It all comes down to the idiots who abuse the site - in a variety of ways it has to be said. So just lets make sure that dodgy ppl get reported (regularly) and that whereever possible an IP address is blocked for constant misuse. Soapbox put away now lol

"Sorry guys, this thread has me completely baffled (not easy I hear you cry!). Long user names are irrelevant surely? It all comes down to the idiots who abuse the site - in a variety of ways it has to be said. So just lets make sure that dodgy ppl get reported (regularly) and that whereever possible an IP address is blocked for constant misuse. Soapbox put away now lol"

Agreed

The real root cause of the trouble is idiots, regardless of their name. A method needs to be implemented in which once someone is banned from the site, they are prevented from returning even if under a different user name.

This is possible, it has been done on other sites, don't ask me how because putting it plain and simple, I don't know - it's not my department, however if someone causes problems, say in the chatroom, they need to either be banned permenantly from the chatroom or the entire site, and measures should prevent them from ever returning.

As it stands, we as mods can only give a maximum of 4hrs ban to a profile, even which in my eyes is insufficient 24hrs would be more appropriate

If, as has been suggested above, these user names are long and difficult to type out for a warning etc:

Click their profile link, go to the address bar and copy and paste their user name - alternatively, you can find their site name where it states 'user name' on their profile - easy peasy lemon squeezy

and if the person comes in with a short name???

Agree the name length isnt a problem, the person is, but if you havent managed to stop them yet...what is really going to change???

Personally I think that all this thread has achieved is to highlight that:

This site simply cannot stop banned people from re-registering at will!

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"Personally I think that all this thread has achieved is to highlight that:

This site simply cannot stop banned people from re-registering at will!"

We have software and processes in place to stop banned users re-registering. For obvious reasons we don't go into detail on what these consist of but they are largely successful.

However, a user banned from chat is not necessarily banned from the site. That needs an admin to permanently ban the account. Naturally there may be a small delay between a chat mod blocking a user who is being an idiot and an admin reviewing that and taking a permanent ban decision (which is what looked like happened here).

So if someone is banned from chat by a chat mod, yes they may re-register but chances are that it will be reported to Admin and we will ban all that user's accounts (and they will then largely be prevented from re-registering, although no system is watertight).

Looking at our stats we have rejected well in excess of 2,000 accounts that banned users have tried to create since we took over the site (currently running at 10-15/day).

Admin x

No I dont think they re-register after a ban, it seems that so many ppl when they first join, join with about 3/4 names that way if one name gets banned they come straight back under one of the others, because when u look at the profile of a banned persons new name it says member 4/5 months or 2/3 same as their banned name. thats what happens.

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

Kitten: if you see people evading bans by using multiple accounts like that, report them using the Report profile link.

I know we removed a few just recently.

Admin x

I do SJ xx

"Kitten: if you see people evading bans by using multiple accounts like that, report them using the Report profile link.

Admin x"

It has to be said - there aint half a lot of loonies on your site - you have our commiserations

Those that consider themselves sane - you aint by association !!!!

"Kitten: if you see people evading bans by using multiple accounts like that, report them using the Report profile link.

Admin x

It has to be said - there aint half a lot of loonies on your site - you have our commiserations

Those that consider themselves sane - you aint by association !!!!"

and thats coming from crack heads

By *eviousLiasonsCouple  over a year ago

Travelling

Would it be possible to set new profiles so that they cannot access chat for say 24 or 48 hours, this would make it a lot harder for people to keep phoenixing

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

" Would it be possible to set new profiles so that they cannot access chat for say 24 or 48 hours, this would make it a lot harder for people to keep phoenixing"

This is something we've been considering for some time, and it's still an option under review.

We're not sure how big a problem this really is though. All feedback welcome

Admin x

" Would it be possible to set new profiles so that they cannot access chat for say 24 or 48 hours, this would make it a lot harder for people to keep phoenixing

This is something we've been considering for some time, and it's still an option under review.

We're not sure how big a problem this really is though. All feedback welcome

Admin x"

sj and mark, would just like to say thanks for ignoring my post in the lounge, i have spent all day crying about it and i am all worn out now

"Personally I think that all this thread has achieved is to highlight that:

This site simply cannot stop banned people from re-registering at will!

We have software and processes in place to stop banned users re-registering. For obvious reasons we don't go into detail on what these consist of but they are largely successful.

However, a user banned from chat is not necessarily banned from the site. That needs an admin to permanently ban the account. Naturally there may be a small delay between a chat mod blocking a user who is being an idiot and an admin reviewing that and taking a permanent ban decision (which is what looked like happened here).

So if someone is banned from chat by a chat mod, yes they may re-register but chances are that it will be reported to Admin and we will ban all that user's accounts (and they will then largely be prevented from re-registering, although no system is watertight).

Looking at our stats we have rejected well in excess of 2,000 accounts that banned users have tried to create since we took over the site (currently running at 10-15/day).

Admin x"

Ok then You know who the trusted mods are - allow them to give a permanent ban - that will reduce the time lag from a mod banning them for 4 hours (which is woefully anadequate in any case) to Admin making that final decision.

Lets be fair Chatmods have very small teeth ......

oi should not all chat mods be trusted lmao

scak them all i say and let me run the site lolol

"oi should not all chat mods be trusted lmao

scak them all i say and let me run the site lolol

"

There would be a riot! haha

» Add a new message to this topic