FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Thumbs

Thumbs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What do people think of the Thumbs idea?

Personally I think it's open to abuse.

They haven't even got an idea of what to use the data for, well until you know whay to do with the data why collect it.

Have seen this idea on another site (slightly different, but much the same) was abused to the hilt. People have different idea of others so I may love them others may not, and just because you have the time to contribute to the site doesn't make you any better than someone else. What if your a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan, away for long periods so cannot contribute to the site, he or she may not get any thumbs up while single male or female on the dole got hours of time every day they get lots of thumbs up... just not a fair system.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *cottishTweetieCouple  over a year ago

Blackwood, South Lanarkshire

We would agree, maybe not for the same reasons, but say for example, you (as we often do) say no thanks to a guy. He could then do a thumbs down... Because he was not what we were looking for.

If it is meant for poor profiles etc, I am sure we can judge that ourselves, simply by looking. Seems like a waste of time and could be used against genuine people.

Thumbs down on this one from us.... Sorry couldnt resist...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We dont like it either, and as mods there may well be a time when we get many thumbs down than we deserve.

....but remember, that these ideas have to be tried out, it has to be a better site that is willing to try new things,..we are saying that we dont like it, but we may well end up in the minority, with many more people liking the idea,..if thats the case then the idea may well improve the site,..we just dont know yet

S&A

In Reply to sugarxspice

I disagree that you need to keep trying new things. That's how businesses fail, just be good at what your good at!

These thumbs are just a gimmick and it appears the new owners are just trying too hard, just keep it simple, no need to re-invent the wheel!!!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Blimey heather you dont seem to have alot of good to say about the site.

The old site was good, since the change over it has gotten so much better. Many great features have come into play and some not so good. How are the owners expected to know what is going to work and whats not unless they try out new things. You say keep it simple but want a video verification system thats hardly simple.

I see you have only been on the site 4 months so probley dont realize just how much the site has changed

Have to agree with you Diamond - Heather doesn't apear to have a great deal of positivity going on loll. We think that in the short time that the new owners have had the site, there have been massive improvements, a much better throughflow of information, and its all still free !! What more could anyone ask for ?

But my next quesation - What the Hell is the 'thumbs idea' ? We've been (and still are ill) so have not been around. Maybe we've missed something ?

Sorry if I appear negative, but experience tells me gimmicks don't work!

I have been swinging for about 20 years and have been on the internet for many years (early 1990 while at Uni), I have also ran many websites (though not a swingers site)

Technically the video profile is very easy and is much the same as any profile, so I thing is relatively simple, would I use it it was my site probably NOT! But I wouldn't use Thumbs or Photo verification either,they just complicate and confuse people. Having looked at most of the post on here there seems to be a consensus that people take little notice of verification systems and make up their own minds. I have found this on many sites that I am a member of and am currently researching verification systems on websites (both swingers and not)

I am just trying to put a different prospective on some of the new ideas, to open up debate.

Forum Mod

There would be absofookinlutley no way that I would ever ever ever be putting a video profile on here ever! lol

Further to the last post, if they are thinking of making the site better why not make the search better, it's a part of the site I most dislike. While been able to search and area, I would like to narrow my search results further.

For example if I'm only looking for black guys in the West Midlands, showing me every white guy is pointless. Also after a couple of pages I may get board and quit so all the others may miss a possible meet. OK this is an easy one to tell just by looking at the pics, but what if I looking for someone who can accommodate, showing the others just means I got to check out too many profiles. It works for lots of things for example big busty women , small petite, big cock the list goes on.

That would make the site much better, than gimmicks like thumbs so people can just be negative to you, because you turned them down, also what you going to use the data for anyway?

Updating the search feature is a good idea!

Although we'd also like to see somewhere where you can place an ad to meet people similar to the events section, there’s not even a looking for section in the forums anymore.

In responce to S and B...hi guys

The thumbs idea is to the left hand side of your profile, it simply a `thumbs up` if you like the profile, do thse folk contribute, etc

...or `thumbs down` if you disaprove of the profile,..one liners maybe, this kind of thing.... click on one or the other

Its causing a bit of conversation, not a lot of people like the idea,... but we have to wait to see how it pans out

S&A

Thanks S&A for the explanation. Errrrrrrrrrm, not sure what to think of it really, it's a bit like the star rating system on Local Swingers - Definately open to abuse, but in the great scheme of things, rarely abused. Lets be fair the MAJORITY of people are sensible and probably wouldn't consider abusing it on here either. Give it a whirl, if it works, it works, if not pull the plug on it.....

I'm still not clear if the Thumbs up or down will be displayed on the profile for all to see, will there be any comments left and will the originators name be displayed or is it all anonymous, but most importantly, will their be recourse in the unlikely event of malicious ratings being given ?

Forum Mod

Hmmm I don't like it

to be honest, we are getting fed up with all these silly little things, and feel ignored, so many have asked for the old forums back, and thats ignored, yet we get these silly things, thats turning fab more into facebook than a swingers site

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

We asked for smilies, we got thumbs.

Does someone need an anatomy lesson?

And for God's sake...... bring back the old forum style. Enough have asked. This is a nightmare to wade through.

Please and thank you

i have thumbed up and thumbed down a few site users.not in a abuse of thumbs way

i can not see any thing to show wat the thumbs are doing

any help on this pls

There is no way the old forums will ever be back, these though are being worked on and will change for the better soon I hope.

The site does listen to us, and suggestions are turned into reality,..some good and some bad, the `thumbs` was someones idea, so its being tried

Ideas are being turned into reality for the forums,.. so please lets not discriminate agains others suggestions just because we dont like them,...they are only that, ideas, that may stay........ or may not

S&A

Cyprus

I understand and appreciate that Stuart but lets be honest........... certain sensible suggestions 'appear' to be ignored and the more stoopid suggestions like 'thumbs' have been given the green light.

What about Smilies?

What about a forum that is easy to read?

What about an edit button?

What about a server that doesn't close the chat room?

What about a tighter browse facility?

Why bring in new features when there are features that are incomplete or slightly broken and it wouldn't require much to fix them or finish them?

I understand and appreciate that the new owners are trying to give us a much better site, one with clarity and continuity........... but giving the users the chance to 'grass up' (thumbs down) people who won't play with them or they think are fat (just to give two examples) against an edit button for the forums, is pure stupidity surely.

I know, I know, we should be greatful that the owners give us anything at all considering the site is free, but as I suspect it will become fee paying eventually (and I don't mind paying a sensible amount), surely it is counter productive to appear not to be listening to the die-hards of the site, who will realistically be the ones recommending Fabswingters to new clients?

I love Fab and I would have no problem with recommending it to anyone while it is free, however, I certainly won't be doing so before the site is more user friendly if new people have to pay for it with the way it stands at the moment.

In defence of the site/forums, has any one actually tried writing a bit of coding?? Its really hard work, time consuming and needs testing to work out the gremlins.

I like the thumbs up/Thumbs down feature, but only as a bit of fun, I would never take it as a measure of someones suitability for a meet.

The forums do need a bit of work, but i believe it will happen in good time, in the mean time, i'm having fun on here, many thanks to the site owners and ops and mods for all the free work xxxxxxx

Cyprus

Yes, yes, a big thanks to the Mods.....

especially Sugarxspice............

They do a stirling job, for no pay, loads of hassle and some real 'lip' off people like me......

**Maddie still hasn't got to peek up Stuart's kilt**

In reply to HotandWet

Yes coding a forum from scratch will take time and effort,but why bother! Again no need to re-invent the wheel there are lots of FREE forum script out there and while the new site is hosted on a windows server and uses ASP as it's scripting language, using PHPBB or any other php forum script can be used on a windows server.

While I understand that the last script used was hacked, with some understanding the pre-written scripts can have there security tightened, also writing your own can also have it's own security risks.

But I agree with lots of the contributors to this thread, the site owners need to listen to the members wishes, ignore your customers at your peril!!!!

Site is good and 90% right just needs the finishing touches to make it excellent.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I was informed that we will get emoticons when the owners can find a royalty free site. So if any of you know of any sites let the owners knowxxkarenxx

before the thumbs I do think that an EDIT and QUOTE feature would be a lot more useful.

well, if these forums are staying, and the old style are def not coming back, then this our last post here.

so many have asked for them, and id guess more than anyone has asked for anything else, there is no security risk in using them, no cost so no reason why we should be forced into using this primitive message board.

sad, as we missed it when offline, but this is just a waste of time as a forum

sad to see, this could cost the site a lot of members we believe

When I said that the forums are being worked on,... that means quite a lot, one of these days you will come along and find an improved forums, and I am sure you will see smilies, edit and quote buttons,..I thinks its all just part of one job, that is not that easy to do.

What we must think about is that the forums are but a very small part of the site and we cant always expect that we will have priority, there are often more important things for the owners to do

In the mean time, they are trying to put in easier, simpler things,..without it cutting into the bigger forum picture.

I know, to many I am sounding a bit like I have shares in Fab,... but I am hoping that the ones who know us well enough will also know that I wouldnt flannel you guys,..I will either tell you the truth, or tell you nothing

Now wheres that smilie

S&A

Cyprus

I do think it's great that the owners have kept us informed of all the changes via the home button.....

However..... in defence of the forums: Chat came back, piccies came back, profiles were sorted, meet today, browse, hotlists etc.... were all sorted.

The Forums are in their usual place..... at the bottom of the heap, we were given dates for the forums to be up and running and then new dates. We waited longer than anyone else for our little bit of FAB

We may not have a massive forum community now, but we did have....... there are many who are in touch with others via msn that won't return because they feel that as forum users, they are being treated as second class citizens.

I understand that the changes that had to come first were for everyone and were general site maintenance..... but not everyone uses chat and that seems to take priority over everything else half the time.

I do think that Admin, as good a job as they are doing, should maybe, just for once, not make us wait and give us the little things we are asking for.

Smilies for instant.

**Maddie throws a big kiss a Admin and says a big thank you for all the work that has been done so far**

I must admit, I cant find a way of arguing with that post at all

S&A

Cyprus

Are you following me Stuart? Trying to get your thumbs up?

hehehehhehehehehhehe

Not so sure that it's just his thumb that he wants up !

Cyprus

Oooohhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Naughty thinking........

I would never have thought of that ...

*raises eyebrows, whistles, rolls eyes and trys to look innocent*

» Add a new message to this topic