FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > LIMITS ON MESSAGES

LIMITS ON MESSAGES

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've just heard of someone who was stopped from sending messages on this site because she had gone over her allocated limit.

Firstly, I was unaware there were any limits on messgaes. So how many can be sent, it appears, over a twenty-four hour period?

Secondly, it would seem this rule was put in place to stop spammers. Understandable, perhaps. But, surely, spammers will be found out and banned over time anyway. More importantly, how does a fixed limit on sent messages stop spammers who will only create another false profile. Surely this approach only affects genuine users of the site?

Thirdly, what happens if one genuine user cannot contact another genuine user because they have have their "Send Messages" function removed? Would this make the site legally liable if anything undesirable occured and no method of communication existed?

These considerations should be examined.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

thought that only happened in the first few days on site it did with me but then I was daft enought to reply to every single person even if it was only with thanks but no thanks but have since learned that somethimes a woman just has to delete or ignore to keep up as rude as it may seem otherwise it becomes a full time job

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

The message allocation varies depending on certain criteria.

It is very rare for people to hit the limit. Yesterday for example 0.02% of users who logged in exceeded their allocation.

This is an important part of a package of anti-spam measures. There are many others.

Admin x

By *eviousLiasonsCouple  over a year ago

Travelling

"Thirdly, what happens if one genuine user cannot contact another genuine user because they have have their "Send Messages" function removed? Would this make the site legally liable if anything undesirable occured and no method of communication existed?

"

We are intrigued by this one.... legally liable for what exactly???

" what happens if one genuine user cannot contact another genuine user because they have have their "Send Messages" function removed? Would this make the site legally liable if anything undesirable occured and no method of communication existed?

These considerations should be examined."

Wtf you talkin' about boy ???

Legally Liable

Anything undesirable

No method of comunication

FFS this is a swingers site not a telephone exchange

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I don't think it's too difficult to imagine a few scenarios whereby a failure to communicate stopped by the site could cause problems.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the prompt response to my query by the administration. However, is a limit on messages a god way to stop or discourage spammers?

Surely, a limit is unlikely to discourage them because they can find alternative routes in. Would it not be better to encourage and develop a culture from the regular site users to report such activity as quickly as possible? And, of course, for the admin to learn to re-act and crack down on it as soon as they were informed?

Ha ha I'm sure if someone met someone off here and something undesirable happened then I'm sure the person wouldn't oh shit I better get on fab and ask for help only to find out they have no messages left! I'd think they would be better off calling someone from there mobile! Just hope they have enough credit!

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"I don't think it's too difficult to imagine a few scenarios whereby a failure to communicate stopped by the site could cause problems.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the prompt response to my query by the administration. However, is a limit on messages a god way to stop or discourage spammers?

Surely, a limit is unlikely to discourage them because they can find alternative routes in. Would it not be better to encourage and develop a culture from the regular site users to report such activity as quickly as possible? And, of course, for the admin to learn to re-act and crack down on it as soon as they were informed?"

Like we say the limit on messages is just one of a number of ways we beat spammers.

Admin x

Forum Mod

I sometimes wonder if people sit here for hrs on end trying to find the most minute detail on here to have a moan about

if its not life threatening then its not that important if you can't send a message on fab, and if it is a life threatening situation dial 999

By *etbimbetteWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

I'd be interested in knowing what the limit on messages is - just so I can ensure I stay within safe limits. Is thre a set number that a member can send, or is it more complicated than that?

"I sometimes wonder if people sit here for hrs on end trying to find the most minute detail on here to have a moan about

"

Dials 999

"Hello caller which service do you require"

"Police Please"

"Conecting mobile No 077........"

"Hello caller this is the police, how can I help you"

"Errrrrm I'd like to report an undesirable situation"

"An undesirable situation what seems to be the problem?"

"I've reached my message limit on Fabs and can no longer communicate and think I'm going to self destruct"

FFs .....

Forum Mod

"I sometimes wonder if people sit here for hrs on end trying to find the most minute detail on here to have a moan about

Dials 999

"Hello caller which service do you require"

"Police Please"

"Conecting mobile No 077........"

"Hello caller this is the police, how can I help you"

"Errrrrm I'd like to report an undesirable situation"

"An undesirable situation what seems to be the problem?"

"I've reached my message limit on Fabs and can no longer communicate and think I'm going to self destruct"

FFs .....

"

Ok sir we'll be round in five minutes to whack you with a big truncheon!

Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"I'd be interested in knowing what the limit on messages is - just so I can ensure I stay within safe limits. Is thre a set number that a member can send, or is it more complicated than that?"

It varies by user depending on certain criteria, genuine users will be very, very unlikely to hit it. We don't say what the criteria or limits are because it could help spammers and hurt users.

Admin x

By *etbimbetteWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

That's fair enough - I appreciate that. I'm just garrulous, and worried about hitting my limit because I tend to hold long, trivial conversations here.

I'll try to find something else to do with my hands!

xx

blimey, i gotta say ive sent 100's of messages in one day ( chatting to a cpl of friends cuz they dont do msn)

and ive never hit my limit...

so them who have must send a lot of messages

this is a different subject but i thought important.why cant there be a warning or something when you contact someone you,ve already contacted.because the nasty remarks you get from some people when you do is damn rude.you cant be expected to remember everyone you,ve spoken to,or winked at.

i went over my limit made me realise how much i was chatting in messages, hence chat more in chat room now lol

Forum Mod

"this is a different subject but i thought important.why cant there be a warning or something when you contact someone you,ve already contacted.because the nasty remarks you get from some people when you do is damn rude.you cant be expected to remember everyone you,ve spoken to,or winked at. "

If you're a site supporter you can save sent messages to avoid contacting people you have mailed before

or you could save the profiles of people you have contacted in your hotlist

i can see how admin are replying.

It would be very easy to create a "bot" if you can code and basically mass email every member that matches a search criteria. I think I know how the fab system would stop this happening, but Captcha codes are very difficult to bypass and to be fair, its out really worth it because you can't really get any financial gain from it.

Still, there are people that would write a generic message and copy and paste it in an email to loads of users.

ok thanks for the info.and please people,dont be so rude we,re new to this.just feeling our way.

"if its not life threatening then its not that important if you can't send a message on fab, and if it is a life threatening situation dial 999"

but what if you are abroad and 999 won't work ? and what if you have been killed so you can't make a call anyway - what then ? We need to be told.

[Removed by poster at 01/08/09 13:07:09]

» Add a new message to this topic