FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Phone number privacy

Phone number privacy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *exyangietgirl OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

edinburgh

Could it be that mobile numbers are passed on are acquired some other way by third parties after upgrading via text message?

The last few times I've renewed my subscription I've had texts about a week later from some unknown number offering me sexy pics on my phone etc.

Obviously I don't want this at all and wonder if it's more than just a coincidence. Maybe the moderators should double check secuirty of the site.

Angie XX

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"Could it be that mobile numbers are passed on are acquired some other way by third parties after upgrading via text message?

The last few times I've renewed my subscription I've had texts about a week later from some unknown number offering me sexy pics on my phone etc.

Obviously I don't want this at all and wonder if it's more than just a coincidence. Maybe the moderators should double check secuirty of the site.

Angie XX"

There's info on the FAQ about this. Given the number of spam texts that are being sent (millions) it's inevitable that some users who upgrade on Fab will also be recipients of spam texts; the same way that many who have never upgraded on Fab also get spam texts.

In summary, goto www.phonepayplus.org.uk and report the spam you get. That way the spammers can be fined and closed down.

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/For-The-Public/Make-a-complaint.aspx

Do you pass any numbers on when we text to upgrade? Do you send marketing texts?

NO. We send one upgrade text with your PIN only. Fab doesn't actually receive your number as part of the text upgrade process (if you have upgrade problems and you need us to look into it, we have a secure interface to a system where we can lookup attempted upgrades from a specific number you supply us with, only). Our text partner who handles the billings does not sell or supply your number to 3rd parties either. Your number is never used for marketing texts. This is legally enforcable under the data protection act, and we and our text provider could get fines of hundreds of thousands of pounds if we broke this promise.

Text spammers often target blocks of numbers with a scattergun approach. If you receive spam text, you should ALWAYS report it to PhonePayPlus, the premium text regulator. They can force text spammers to close down their operations and apply large fines. They can also help you understand how your number came to be spammed. They have a form on their homepage where you can enter a premium text number and check the people operating it (including customer service numbers).

Admin x

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

Forgot to say: Obviously, in the same way as with email spam, never respond or reply to spam texts.

And another thing:

The premium text people at PhonePayPlus are implementing new rules that come into force on 1st September which they hope will cut down on spam texts in the UK.

Admin x

» Add a new message to this topic