FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > IP Address Watermark on photos

IP Address Watermark on photos

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've seen a few of my photos posted on other website forums before I made them private and I'm sure this happens to plenty of other people on here.

How about when you click on a photo to view it your IP Address is shown in a watermark type way across the photo, so if anyone was to save/screenshot it and share it elsewhere it would show their personal IP Address.

This would ultimately discourage 99% of people from saving and sharing private photos.

I use another website which I won't name to post photos and the website does this exact thing.

If any admin see's this and wants to check the website out to see what I mean please feel free to contact me! X

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You can put your own watermark on quite easily, as we have done. Done from a phone

I need to find out about watermarking xxx

It's very easy on a Samsung galaxy. Go to gallery and select the pic you want. Click on the paint palette icon, then on the "T". Type in what you want and you can then resize and place it where you want. Similar process on iPhone

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"I've seen a few of my photos posted on other website forums before I made them private and I'm sure this happens to plenty of other people on here.

How about when you click on a photo to view it your IP Address is shown in a watermark type way across the photo, so if anyone was to save/screenshot it and share it elsewhere it would show their personal IP Address.

This would ultimately discourage 99% of people from saving and sharing private photos.

I use another website which I won't name to post photos and the website does this exact thing.

If any admin see's this and wants to check the website out to see what I mean please feel free to contact me! X"

Your personal IP address isn't usually fixed as 99% of ISP use shared services unless you have a static IP.

Depending on your provider your external IP could change each time you log in to the service, to check this just log into whatsmyip from time to time.

"I've seen a few of my photos posted on other website forums before I made them private and I'm sure this happens to plenty of other people on here.

If any admin see's this and wants to check the website out to see what I mean please feel free to contact me! X"

Vast majority of IP addresses are dynamic and not static so it probably wouldn’t act as a deterrent unfortunately.

By *ettyboop61Woman  over a year ago

St Neots

"It's very easy on a Samsung galaxy. Go to gallery and select the pic you want. Click on the paint palette icon, then on the "T". Type in what you want and you can then resize and place it where you want. Similar process on iPhone "

What app is that please??

The gallery is where your pics are stored. It's not a downloaded app

What other websites should I be looking at to see if ours are on there?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"What other websites should I be looking at to see if ours are on there?"

Do a reverse image search on your pictures using Tineye or Google

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

I don't always use my own internet connection, I use a lot of my family's too, especially my parents as I practically live there 6 months a year.

Don't like this idea. I don't watermark them either as they'd Still get stolen

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"It's very easy on a Samsung galaxy. Go to gallery and select the pic you want. Click on the paint palette icon, then on the "T". Type in what you want and you can then resize and place it where you want. Similar process on iPhone "

Thanks for that.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

"It's very easy on a Samsung galaxy. Go to gallery and select the pic you want. Click on the paint palette icon, then on the "T". Type in what you want and you can then resize and place it where you want. Similar process on iPhone

Thanks for that."

On second thoughts that only allows so many characters across and cuts my word up.

By *idsBiGuyMan  over a year ago

Tamworth

Whilst IPs are generally dynamic, Virgin media’s are very ‘sticky’

Also, some users don’t put their particular town/locality on their profile for whatever reason and IP geolocation is a thing.

Also also, your phone’s IP changes regularly when using 3G/4G so I don’t see any particular benefit to doing that.

Source: I’m a tech nerd and software developer.

You are crazy...lol IP Address on pic... I want to keep anonymity and you saying me to give your home address....

Why blame Cambridge Analytica and Facebook for user's stupidity...

Anyway, the Ip address will change, so why bother putting that as a unique identifier?

"Whilst IPs are generally dynamic, Virgin media’s are very ‘sticky’

Also, some users don’t put their particular town/locality on their profile for whatever reason and IP geolocation is a thing.

Also also, your phone’s IP changes regularly when using 3G/4G so I don’t see any particular benefit to doing that.

Source: I’m a tech nerd and software developer. "

this.. polite way of translating my message lol

By *heRainManMan  over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"You are crazy...lol IP Address on pic... I want to keep anonymity and you saying me to give your home address...."
Re-read the OP! The idea was that when you look at a pic, your IP address would be shown on it, so if you then copy the pic, and post it as your own, the IP Address would be shown.

"Anyway, the Ip address will change, so why bother putting that as a unique identifier? "
Agreed!

Possibly having a larger Fab watermark over the pic, rather than the profile name at the bottom would help? It could still be removed using a photo package, but it would be much more work than cropping the profile name off.

By *idsBiGuyMan  over a year ago

Tamworth

Re read the op:

Ah yeah. That would’ve helped.

Still, some of these points still stand.

I personally don’t have pics easy

By showing an ip address anyone with a bit of know how will find your home address from that within seconds.

Anyway, not everyone has a static ip address.

A vpn would get round this anyway

By *uckandbunnyCouple  over a year ago

In your bed

"By showing an ip address anyone with a bit of know how will find your home address from that within seconds.

Anyway, not everyone has a static ip address."

I think that was the idea. It's the viewers/potential copiers IP address that would be added to the pic not the posters.

Either way I don't think it matters as posting a pic on the Internet would be equivalent to publishing it. So unless you are going to sue for loss of earnings from image rights I'm not sure what protection it would give.

I just assume anything that goes on the net stays on the net.

By *iggerd69Man  over a year ago

wherever you are

Can ip addresses be traced easily on fab?

Through my router etc

By *p2norfolkngoodMan  over a year ago

Norwich

"By showing an ip address anyone with a bit of know how will find your home address from that within seconds.

Anyway, not everyone has a static ip address."

Erm no you watch too much TV.

Whilst geo location can narrow down an area the actual address service is provided to would only be traceable by the isp.

Using a vpn would get round this idea very easily though

» Add a new message to this topic