FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Idea for searching

Idea for searching

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi

Any chance you can search via distance from your own postcode?

Its just that some places are on the edges of areas. E.g. Sheffield is technically in the north not the midlands as its organised here while chesterfield is the midlands (just) but has the same 'S' prefix to the postcode as sheffield does so a distance search would be much more useful. I'm sure there are other places in the UK with the same issue

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Hi

Any chance you can search via distance from your own postcode?

Its just that some places are on the edges of areas. E.g. Sheffield is technically in the north not the midlands as its organised here while chesterfield is the midlands (just) but has the same 'S' prefix to the postcode as sheffield does so a distance search would be much more useful. I'm sure there are other places in the UK with the same issue

"

Admin have suggested this (already asked)..

Go to advance search, and input the local post code data relevant to you.

Eg

S1, S2, S4, S10, S11 etc.

Then save the search for future usage

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks, didn't know you could do that!

seems can only do it for 4 post codes.. but set up some saved advanced searches for local post codes and it works a treat.

I believe it only searched for matches on postcode text, so "H" will match any that start with "H"

A proper distance search with say 10,20,30,40,50,100 mile radius (as the crow flies) should be quite easy (postzon long/lat data is now free from Royal Mail).

I guess this is the reason for getting people to enter valid locations as they plan to add this feature (I hope).

Would be good since North East is rather large and East Midlands is just across the water from me but also large, so results in some pointless results been returned. (over 50 miles away or whatever).

cheers

By *j_markCouple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Totteridge/Whetstone

"I guess this is the reason for getting people to enter valid locations as they plan to add this feature (I hope).

"

It is. And what you say is correct, the advanced search works with postcode areas not the full first half e.g. N for north london e.g. N12, N20, etc.

At some point in 2012 we'll use the full first half of the postcode and return better results.

Admin x

» Add a new message to this topic