FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Fabswingers.com site feedback > Club Events Section needs attention

Club Events Section needs attention

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ownhouseTwosome OP   Couple  over a year ago

Birkenhead/Liverpool

The club events section is VERY hard to navigate and work out. Repeatedly, I am getting frustrated messages from people asking me about parties because the Events section is just too messy and they just don't bother trying to fathom it anymore. I don't mind dealing with queries, it's my job, but this needs addressing guys.

You have clubs from all over the country listing events in different formats, the most distracting and annoying, apparently is the full capital, shouty titles. This distracts people to the point that they don't read those ads. Then there are others with important info missing, like the date. There should be a standard template provided so all events look organised.

Also you have some clubs listing 2 events a week and others listing 5 a week and it's getting very crowded. Rather than the forum operating the current system whereby events move to the top when people comment, why not have a date order system instead. So when an event is listed, it automatically slots into the forum in order of when it's going ahead? That way, the club's who want to list 5 a week, can do and it doesn't clutter up the forum. They can list their whole year of events if they want, but the events will still only list in date order.

I know a lot of people plan their playtime in advance, so they can simply scroll to the date they are interested in and find all events running across the country. Not all clubs list events, so it doesn't need to be in region order, plus that would just complicate matters. The events would show up on their date and it would simply mean that those who advertise first, may be towards the bottom of the list, or the top, depending on how you work it.

So, to summarise, a template box to list events in a standard format, to capture essential info and use the date element to then list it in date order on the forum.

I think you will find that you will have less of the 'bumping' posts and staff talking to each other to bump up a post to the top, thus using less space in your back office. There won't need to be a maximum limit on number of posts and reduce the need for posting part 2s, 3s, 4s etc...which again clutter up the forum.

At the end of the day, clubs contribute hugely to this site, bringing new people in all the time and our parties encourage people to keep logging in and pay their subscription. I think it's time that the club events section got an overhaul, especially as there are more new clubs opening across the country

Vic xxx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

It’d make my life soooo much easier in listing events!!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What a great idea! Simple too

By *ougar_n_TILFCouple  over a year ago

Burton on Trent

Yeah we think it needs sorting. We posted one for June and have realised to keep it anywhere visible we'd have to bump it a few times a week.

Listing them in date order and deleting finished ones would be good.

By *rimson_RoseWoman  over a year ago

Lea Marston

An events calendar - much needed!

We'd love to see this. It's awkward when we post an update and then it looks like we're spamming the forum only for threads to get lost. A calendar fornat would be much better

Hands up all those that get friends, club people and staff to bump up there club night posts.........

Thought not, no ones admitting it, ok so when we ran our club night we’d make sure we bumped and got others to bump our posts, it was a given, loads of clubs do it, go actually look at the inane posts in the club section to see

Absolutely the events should just be in date order and once the date has pasted they should disappear, simple and logical. Easy to navigate too

Right now if I wanted to look for a club night on say 13/4 I’d have to just trawl through loads of crap to find anything....

Brilliant idea! This would make it so much easier. I did think this but you said it

Absolutely. It could be in a similar format like a well known social media site. I know a couple of web designers and apparently it's not that hard to set up .

It would make life so much easier for me as I like to plan my swinging social life to book hotels etc

We don't even look because it's so hideous...so we go to the clubs we have been to before because we are aware of what's going on without having to go to that page...

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Hands up all those that get friends, club people and staff to bump up there club night posts.........

Thought not, no ones admitting it, ok so when we ran our club night we’d make sure we bumped and got others to bump our posts, it was a given, loads of clubs do it, go actually look at the inane posts in the club section to see

."

All clubs and their promoters do it, it even happened on this thread

Birkenhead/Liverpool

Thanks everyone for your input and thoughts. What a waste of bandwidth that page is if people have stopped using it!

I hope admin read this thread and consider the changes as it's definitely time to sort the mess out xx

By *am4CamWoman  over a year ago

Fairy Land

Some sort of calendar where we can click on a date and see who has what on, even if all it did was have a title and a link to the website.

Then the forum can be left to the guest list, pre-event chatter and general repeated bumping that occurs.

Birkenhead/Liverpool

I would prefer the forum to be a calendar or date ordered list with a 'definite/maybe' rsvp list attached to each event. This happens on other adult sites and works well. The forum can be left for event questions then and not the ridiculous innane chatter that often occurs to keep events at the top.

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

"The club events section is VERY hard to navigate and work out. Repeatedly, I am getting frustrated messages from people asking me about parties because the Events section is just too messy and they just don't bother trying to fathom it anymore. I don't mind dealing with queries, it's my job, but this needs addressing guys.

You have clubs from all over the country listing events in different formats, the most distracting and annoying, apparently is the full capital, shouty titles. This distracts people to the point that they don't read those ads. Then there are others with important info missing, like the date. There should be a standard template provided so all events look organised.

Also you have some clubs listing 2 events a week and others listing 5 a week and it's getting very crowded. Rather than the forum operating the current system whereby events move to the top when people comment, why not have a date order system instead. So when an event is listed, it automatically slots into the forum in order of when it's going ahead? That way, the club's who want to list 5 a week, can do and it doesn't clutter up the forum. They can list their whole year of events if they want, but the events will still only list in date order.

I know a lot of people plan their playtime in advance, so they can simply scroll to the date they are interested in and find all events running across the country. Not all clubs list events, so it doesn't need to be in region order, plus that would just complicate matters. The events would show up on their date and it would simply mean that those who advertise first, may be towards the bottom of the list, or the top, depending on how you work it.

So, to summarise, a template box to list events in a standard format, to capture essential info and use the date element to then list it in date order on the forum.

I think you will find that you will have less of the 'bumping' posts and staff talking to each other to bump up a post to the top, thus using less space in your back office. There won't need to be a maximum limit on number of posts and reduce the need for posting part 2s, 3s, 4s etc...which again clutter up the forum.

At the end of the day, clubs contribute hugely to this site, bringing new people in all the time and our parties encourage people to keep logging in and pay their subscription. I think it's time that the club events section got an overhaul, especially as there are more new clubs opening across the country

Vic xxx

"

Very sensible suggestion.

Gets a from me.

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"The club events section is VERY hard to navigate and work out. Repeatedly, I am getting frustrated messages from people asking me about parties because the Events section is just too messy and they just don't bother trying to fathom it anymore. I don't mind dealing with queries, it's my job, but this needs addressing guys.

Vic xxx

Gets a from me."

Let's hope it gets a from admin too! Lol

By *xChuckandDaisyxxCouple  over a year ago

Wirral

Completely agree op. Daisy and I have had this conversation before and I think your suggestions would definitely improve the current provision.

In a town Fab forgot

Vic xxx

Gets a from me.

Let's hope it gets a from admin too! Lol"

Well, it is why the suggestion forum is here so you never know.

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"Hands up all those that get friends, club people and staff to bump up there club night posts.........

All clubs and their promoters do it, it even happened on this thread"

Not guilty!!! But I'm unashamedly quoting you to bump the thread now!!!!!! hahahahaha xxx

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Not guilty!!! But I'm unashamedly quoting you to bump the thread now!!!!!! hahahahaha xxx"

Nope, you are right , you didn't do it, but a promoter of your club did 11 hours after your OP

Birkenhead/Liverpool

Not guilty!!! But I'm unashamedly quoting you to bump the thread now!!!!!! hahahahaha xxx

Nope, you are right , you didn't do it, but a promoter of your club did 11 hours after your OP "

I didn't ask her to though...therein lies the difference. People follow my posts and comment.

On event posts our staff and hosts do comment all the time, because all the other clubs do it. If we didn't, we would be lost in the CAPITAL translation.

This really does need addressing as the way the forum is handled/run is actually creating negativity between some clubs when it doesn't need to. Plus, it's just not functional the way it is....quite frankly, it's a mess!

Forum Mod

O o O oo

I think the negativity between clubs is not the sites issue, they all bump up threads to highlight their events and a lot report other clubs for doing the same thing that they are. I am guessing all clubs want the business.

But you are in the right place for your suggestion and Admin read every one that is in this section

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"I think the negativity between clubs is not the sites issue, they all bump up threads to highlight their events and a lot report other clubs for doing the same thing that they are. I am guessing all clubs want the business.

But you are in the right place for your suggestion and Admin read every one that is in this section"

Oh don't get me wrong, the forum is not the cause of negativity!! It just exacerbates a problem that is already there.

The forum could be so much more functional for everyone if it were easier to read and this whole need to bump threads thing was removed.

By listing events in date order, not only would events be easier to find, the forum would be more attractive to your site members as the stress of all the different formats and the hassle of trying to find what they want would be removed.

If I was a regular Fabster and not a club, I simply wouldn't click on that forum as it doesn't work.

Hopefully Admin will read the suggestions and the comments by others and have a think about how it could be improved for the benefit of everyone.

xx

By *arvisrodrigMan  over a year ago

Manchester

I'd use this feature alot if it was like this.

I think it would get more popular with clubs as well if it was shown to be effective so I'd say that region sorting / searching would be useful.

By *ensualcouple99Couple  over a year ago

Colchester

Love this idea what of the events being listed in date order.

We often plan ahead for club visits and as there is no format just even searching for a date in the forum Search doesn't always work bringing up events. I mean do you put 30 March or 30th, or just put march and trail thru all the march posts.

Would love a calendar of events like in other sites.

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

It’s been obvious for a very long time that the club events section is hugely flawed!

The issue is that the site has grown exponentially in recent years - as has the number of swinging venues available - but the site administration/technology hasn’t grown with it!

Make a suggestion/comment about something that clearly isn’t working and we’re reminded that it’s a free site and we should be happy with it!

Having club events in chronological order - with a set template as the op suggested (I’ve had to scroll down endlessly many a time because the event date hasn’t been on the opening post) is simply common sense now that fab (wonderfully) has so many clubs to choose from and so many members!

If it’s a matter of cost - then I’d suggest offering free membership for only the first 3 months then making site supporter compulsory - it would get rid of a huge number of fake and long dormant profiles and clear masses of server space - as would deleting events after they’ve taken place! Alternatively, clubs could be charged more for membership - but in return be given the opportunity to advertise events properly and more effectively!

Fab is great - but with very little effort it could be so much better!

By *lice_Wonder123Woman  over a year ago

Manchester/ Huddersfield

Think the calendar idea is great as well as a template like in the meet section

Thumbs up from me xx

Birkenhead/Liverpool

"It’s been obvious for a very long time that the club events section is hugely flawed!

The issue is that the site has grown exponentially in recent years - as has the number of swinging venues available - but the site administration/technology hasn’t grown with it!

Make a suggestion/comment about something that clearly isn’t working and we’re reminded that it’s a free site and we should be happy with it!

Having club events in chronological order - with a set template as the op suggested (I’ve had to scroll down endlessly many a time because the event date hasn’t been on the opening post) is simply common sense now that fab (wonderfully) has so many clubs to choose from and so many members!

If it’s a matter of cost - then I’d suggest offering free membership for only the first 3 months then making site supporter compulsory - it would get rid of a huge number of fake and long dormant profiles and clear masses of server space - as would deleting events after they’ve taken place! Alternatively, clubs could be charged more for membership - but in return be given the opportunity to advertise events properly and more effectively!

Fab is great - but with very little effort it could be so much better! "

When Fab did that Anonymous questionnaire ages ago, I asked for this be considered back then and I also said that there should be a club subscription to enable special features and contribute towards the cost. Even though it was anonymous, I'm sure they knew it was me, by the way I put myself across...I like to call it passionately!!! hahahaha xx

Prestonish

"It’s been obvious for a very long time that the club events section is hugely flawed!

Fab is great - but with very little effort it could be so much better!

When Fab did that Anonymous questionnaire ages ago, I asked for this be considered back then and I also said that there should be a club subscription to enable special features and contribute towards the cost. Even though it was anonymous, I'm sure they knew it was me, by the way I put myself across...I like to call it passionately!!! hahahaha xx"

I think we can both be quite passionate and thorough in the way we post!

Would a compromise for this be making the thread title a specific format if they can't/won't implement an actual calendar? So rather than one field for the title you'd have to fill in one field for date, one for location and one for event name (with limited characters and fixed formatting) so at least its easier for browsing and searching

Prestonish

"Would a compromise for this be making the thread title a specific format if they can't/won't implement an actual calendar? So rather than one field for the title you'd have to fill in one field for date, one for location and one for event name (with limited characters and fixed formatting) so at least its easier for browsing and searching "

Can’t see why a compromise should be necessary? How difficult can it be to organise data into chronological order? The simplest of programs/databases can do that!

It’s simply a matter of responding to the needs of consumers - and a large number of fab members use/attend clubs and organised parties/socials!

"Would a compromise for this be making the thread title a specific format if they can't/won't implement an actual calendar? So rather than one field for the title you'd have to fill in one field for date, one for location and one for event name (with limited characters and fixed formatting) so at least its easier for browsing and searching

Can’t see why a compromise should be necessary? How difficult can it be to organise data into chronological order? The simplest of programs/databases can do that!

It’s simply a matter of responding to the needs of consumers - and a large number of fab members use/attend clubs and organised parties/socials! "

You're right, it shouldn't be necessary but I get the impression the powers that be have had this feedback a lot of times and yet no changes have been made. Baby steps perhaps

Well said nightmare trying to get onto lists sometimes.

By *nSeeNMan  over a year ago

Z'ha'dum

I'm no expert so I may be wrong.But this may not be a site built from scratch so the limitation might come from the template being used

Prestonish

"I'm no expert so I may be wrong.But this may not be a site built from scratch so the limitation might come from the template being used"

Possibly - but hardly difficult to change a template?

They’ve made plenty of other modifications in recent years as the site has grown!

Prestonish

"Would a compromise for this be making the thread title a specific format if they can't/won't implement an actual calendar? So rather than one field for the title you'd have to fill in one field for date, one for location and one for event name (with limited characters and fixed formatting) so at least its easier for browsing and searching

It’s simply a matter of responding to the needs of consumers - and a large number of fab members use/attend clubs and organised parties/socials!

You're right, it shouldn't be necessary but I get the impression the powers that be have had this feedback a lot of times and yet no changes have been made. Baby steps perhaps"

As I see it - the problem is that the whole swinging world is seen and run as a ‘hobby’!

Fab is run by swingers - for swingers - great in essence but it means limited facilities/expertise- and things like indefinite free membership for all members - whilst great in principle - means a huge number of fake profiles including those who set up profiles to stalk/out others and many who have no intention of meeting - also profiles that have been dormant for years taking up masses of server space. It also garners the attitude/response that ‘if you don’t like it - leave’ when justified complaints, requests or observations are made!

In my experience many clubs are the same! Whilst some are run very much as a business - and a well run, successfull one at that - others are clearly run very much as a hobby by people with no business/acumen and are often a shambles as a result! I’ve seen many a club owner/manager/employee very d*unk when they’re supposed to be managing/hosting an event and falling out with/barring customers for little reason etc!

Swinging is a hobby for those who swing, use sites and attend clubs and parties!

For clubs, regular party hosts, websites etc it should be run as a professional business - albeit one you love and have a vested interest it!

If I had the expertise and wherewithal I’d develop a uk/Europe/worldwide site for swinging clubs - with realistic descriptions of facilities and honest, ‘trip advisor ‘ like review systems! I believe it would be a massive enhancement to swingers social/swinging lives and a huge boost for business to the many many ‘good’ clubs out there!

In the meantime - the suggestions people have made on here would be a great start!

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Great suggestion... we never bother with that section of Fab. We just go to the individual club websites, which is time consuming.

Chronological order or a calendar is the way to go.

Nita

In a town Fab forgot

Vic xxx

"

I'm away this weekend so I thought I'd have a look and see what's going on this Saturday, near Stoke on Trent.

I gave up after 3 pages.

Events listed with no date in the thread title.

Events listed by club name, great if you know where the club is.

Events in May appearing before events in 4 days time.

It's a mess.

Even the private party page is getting shouty and I question whether they're actually private or commercial...

Here are my thoughts on this.

I rarely use the events section as I dont like shouting.

Its totally dominated by very few clubs who want to shout the loudest and somehow manage to keep their threads alive and at the top. I am envious of that ability as when I post it often kills threads .

The events section is difficult to read, lots of people have agreed there.

A countrywide calendar would be a really good way for people to decide where to go in the UK.

I dont like the attending/maybe attending idea, my personal thoughts on that is part of the fun is not knowing who is going, it doesnt mean anything anyway, its not a who’s who, if people want to tell people then do it on the status update , but thats just my thoughts. There are lots of people who arent on fab (strange though it may seem, but its true).

I am more than happy to help contribute to running costs by paying a club membership fee.

Fab swingers is the best site for swinging in my opinion but equally our clubs are the life blood of it, without us it would be very different, please consider some changes to make it easier for us to advertise and all of us to get an equal hearing without shouting our heads off.

"

The issue is that the site has grown exponentially in recent years - as has the number of swinging venues available "

Dont wish to be challenging but the number of clubs in the UK had fallen, when I first started running the club I made a list, so thats facts not thoughts

Couple of other things, there has been some really good & constructive ideas on here.

A Template (or ability to edit after maybe) is high priority.

Delete old listings to free up space

3 months free then charge people therefore getting rid of many wank profiles, lets face it we value what we pay for and fab isnt a fortune

In a town Fab forgot

It seems the groundswell of opinion is that change is needed.

Several posters making the same suggestion, in theory this would be a relatively simple win for Fab.

Birkenhead/Liverpool

The events forum at this precise moment is drowning in capitals!!! Whole titles in capital letters just makes my eyes bleed!!!!

Admin...we need youuuuuuuuuuuu haha

"The events forum at this precise moment is drowning in capitals!!! Whole titles in capital letters just makes my eyes bleed!!!!

Admin...we need youuuuuuuuuuuu haha"

Agreed I was just thinking the same whilst looking for something, totally did my head in

"The events forum at this precise moment is drowning in capitals!!! Whole titles in capital letters just makes my eyes bleed!!!!

"

Thanks! you've just removed a mental block and now I can't unsee all the capitalised posts. FFS!

I does need reformatting, though.

By *orticiaWoman  over a year ago

Wirral

Nope, you are right , you didn't do it, but a promoter of your club did 11 hours after your OP

I didn't ask her to though...therein lies the difference. People follow my posts and comment.

On event posts our staff and hosts do comment all the time, because all the other clubs do it. If we didn't, we would be lost in the CAPITAL translation.

This really does need addressing as the way the forum is handled/run is actually creating negativity between some clubs when it doesn't need to. Plus, it's just not functional the way it is....quite frankly, it's a mess! "

There’s a big difference between bumping an event thread & commenting on a thread where I’m in total agreement about the forums ... and the fact that this is misconstrued is further proof that the club forum functionality is failing.

Why should my two pence worth on this issue be disregarded just because of the incorrect assumption that it’s merely to bump the thread?

As someone who posts events regularly, it’s often a struggling to find my own threads, so if I struggle, what chance do people wanting to add their name to an event have?! Bumping is the only way hosts can keep it easy for people to find - but then this causes other issues.

If the events forum was in a calendar format, with a fixed template, set fields for the key information like date, venue, event title, description, it would make it easier to post, easier to manage & easier to find.

In a town Fab forgot

This really does need addressing as the way the forum is handled/run is actually creating negativity between some clubs when it doesn't need to. Plus, it's just not functional the way it is....quite frankly, it's a mess!

There’s a big difference between bumping an event thread & commenting on a thread where I’m in total agreement about the forums ... and the fact that this is misconstrued is further proof that the club forum functionality is failing.

Why should my two pence worth on this issue be disregarded just because of the incorrect assumption that it’s merely to bump the thread?

As someone who posts events regularly, it’s often a struggling to find my own threads, so if I struggle, what chance do people wanting to add their name to an event have?! Bumping is the only way hosts can keep it easy for people to find - but then this causes other issues.

If the events forum was in a calendar format, with a fixed template, set fields for the key information like date, venue, event title, description, it would make it easier to post, easier to manage & easier to find."

And easier for clubs to list......

» Add a new message to this topic