FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Hidden cost of brexit

Hidden cost of brexit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rightonfrance OP   Man  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

Ordered some goods from uk before Christmas, but sent and stuck in Dover, now they are in france the courier is now charging 20% import duty.

Who else has got caught out by this, who else is affected by having to get some items from the uk?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Ordered some goods from uk before Christmas, but sent and stuck in Dover, now they are in france the courier is now charging 20% import duty.

Who else has got caught out by this, who else is affected by having to get some items from the uk?"

There is no duty, might be vat

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

That's Brexit for you at least I can hold our heads up high as we did vote for it. It will not help businesses.

By *lamourpussyCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

"Ordered some goods from uk before Christmas, but sent and stuck in Dover, now they are in france the courier is now charging 20% import duty.

Who else has got caught out by this, who else is affected by having to get some items from the uk?

There is no duty, might be vat "

Correct

By *esFranceMan  over a year ago

France

I use a company called "Bacon by the box" based in Sothern Island and no problems Lived in France for 7 years, but still miss certain things, and they deliver the lot to the door free (well nothing is for free) well worth it Good web site and very reliable

France

[Removed by poster at 07/01/21 00:12:38]

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes we voted for it thank god

Sounds like. VAT but if your reg trader with Vat / Eori number you can claim that back

By *eordiesCouple  over a year ago

newcastle

Some EU Companies have to register with UK HMRC to pay VAT on stuff they are importing to the UK. Works both ways.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"I use a company called "Bacon by the box" based in Sothern Island and no problems Lived in France for 7 years, but still miss certain things, and they deliver the lot to the door free (well nothing is for free) well worth it Good web site and very reliable"

Ireland to France is not affected by Brexit.

By *imousinguyMan  over a year ago

Limousin, France

Who else has got caught out by this, who else is affected by having to get some items from the uk?"

20% would be VAT, you got off light, some people have been having to pay as much as 35% which is made up of VAT, import duty and handling charges by parcel couriers. Free trade is for businesses not individuals unfortunately.

Amazon Germany is supposed to be a good bet now as well.

T

bournemouth

20% would be VAT, you got off light, some people have been having to pay as much as 35% which is made up of VAT, import duty and handling charges by parcel couriers. Free trade is for businesses not individuals unfortunately.

"

There is no import duty

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

"

There is no import duty "

Could you expand on that please...?

By *imousinguyMan  over a year ago

Limousin, France

This will tell you otherwise https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/07/customers-europe-hit-by-post-brexit-charges-buying-from-uk?fbclid=IwAR11Pd9_uzpDKb6PATF3I9CQ-dM_F8R3RAjqi1_FV-JFGgbk1bqi09iBPc8

By *trangeleftyMan  over a year ago

London

bournemouth

There is no import duty

This will tell you otherwise https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/07/customers-europe-hit-by-post-brexit-charges-buying-from-uk?fbclid=IwAR11Pd9_uzpDKb6PATF3I9CQ-dM_F8R3RAjqi1_FV-JFGgbk1bqi09iBPc8"

Post brexit charges are not import duty ie tariffs,

silly thing is I paid UK vat at 20% then import vat at 20% plus the couriers admin charges.. doesnt quite seem right???

bournemouth

"silly thing is I paid UK vat at 20% then import vat at 20% plus the couriers admin charges.. doesnt quite seem right???"

It isnt, if the seller knew it was for export they shouldn't have charged you vat, write to them and tell them to refund it, if they refuse tell them you will report them to HMRC, they will soon pass it back to you.

"silly thing is I paid UK vat at 20% then import vat at 20% plus the couriers admin charges.. doesnt quite seem right???

It isnt, if the seller knew it was for export they shouldn't have charged you vat, write to them and tell them to refund it, if they refuse tell them you will report them to HMRC, they will soon pass it back to you."

Its difficult as the order was placed before end of december to a UK ltd company, so it pays vat, delivery to the french subsidiary of the same company, but got caught up in the debacle at dover so was returned and reshipped.. Courier then adds vat and admin charges to shipment.. where do I claim it back???

Your only point of contact is your original supplier but, unless it is a large amount, you may be wasting your time.

Since reading your original post I have contacted a company I ordered goods with prior to Christmas and have yet to ship, to get things shipped to a UK address instead.

I will collect these later in the year in person. They are not urgent.

Obviously one of the benifits of Brexit (if you voted to leave) or an impact of Brexit (if you voted to remain.

I will in future be very careful what I order from the UK and try to source within the EU to save on these additional charges and complications.

I guess that a lot of people will do the same.

trying to order in france is a problem too especially as a lot of things I order are custom made.. The price here is a lot more expensive and the quality not so good..

Looks like I will be spending much more time sourcing now... ho hum

Ha snap!

I also get items custom made or machined in the UK as they are often motorcycle parts for old Brit bikes.

Almost impossible to get here so I too will have to re evaluate what to do going forward.

Fortunately, I built up quite a stock of spares prior to the end of the year so will be fine for the short to medium term.

Good luck

Similar sort of line, I use metal workers, custom packaging, custom parts and a few other things being british that sells my products.

Your business although different has similar problems by the sound of it..

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"silly thing is I paid UK vat at 20% then import vat at 20% plus the couriers admin charges.. doesnt quite seem right???

It isnt, if the seller knew it was for export they shouldn't have charged you vat, write to them and tell them to refund it, if they refuse tell them you will report them to HMRC, they will soon pass it back to you.

Its difficult as the order was placed before end of december to a UK ltd company, so it pays vat, delivery to the french subsidiary of the same company, but got caught up in the debacle at dover so was returned and reshipped.. Courier then adds vat and admin charges to shipment.. where do I claim it back???"

The courier charges french tva and pays it to the french government, if you are registered for tva then you can reclaim it on your next tva return.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Seems like this is just a French thing.

We've just had a delivery to Germany from Sports Direct in the UK and it was delivered without fuss.

No extra charges at all.

By *ex and SpecsCouple  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"silly thing is I paid UK vat at 20% then import vat at 20% plus the couriers admin charges.. doesnt quite seem right???"

The courier my company use cocked up and incorrectly sent several 100 eu cutomers a customs invoice. There is no taffif/additional taxes on what I sell. ( menswear )

Their mistake generated quite a few emails!!

Yes it's making the uk more uncompetitive, very worrying times.

People seem to think that when BoJo said “no tariffs” he meant no costs. That’s the headline he wanted.

There is VAT, there is Duty and there are all the extra costs of form filling and inspections.

Really is about time people looked beyond the sound bites and actually understood what’s happening in the real world.

bournemouth

"People seem to think that when BoJo said “no tariffs” he meant no costs. That’s the headline he wanted.

There is VAT, there is Duty and there are all the extra costs of form filling and inspections.

Really is about time people looked beyond the sound bites and actually understood what’s happening in the real world."

There has always been vat.

"People seem to think that when BoJo said “no tariffs” he meant no costs. That’s the headline he wanted.

Really is about time people looked beyond the sound bites and actually understood what’s happening in the real world.

There has always been vat."

There has always been VAT, but the rules changed on Jan 1st. Non UK sellers must not charge VAT at the point of sale regardless of value, and must register with HMRC for a UK VAT account. Many are not prepared to get involved in all the bureaucracy and are stopping sales to UK residents.

I don’t recall “More expensive, less choice” appearing on the side of that bus.

bournemouth

There has always been VAT, but the rules changed on Jan 1st. Non UK sellers must not charge VAT at the point of sale regardless of value, and must register with HMRC for a UK VAT account. Many are not prepared to get involved in all the bureaucracy and are stopping sales to UK residents.

I don’t recall “More expensive, less choice” appearing on the side of that bus."

Vat is very simple and all done digitally, there isnt vat on eu exports( or uk exports) only importers based here can charge vat here and to do so have to be registered, if their turnover is over £85,000 its compulsory, if they arent charging vat then their goods are 16.671% cheaper than someone who is not dearer.

Vat is very simple and all done digitally, there isnt vat on eu exports( or uk exports) only importers based here can charge vat here and to do so have to be registered, if their turnover is over £85,000 its compulsory, if they arent charging vat then their goods are 16.671% cheaper than someone who is not dearer."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021#outline-of-the-changes

bournemouth

Vat is very simple and all done digitally, there isnt vat on eu exports( or uk exports) only importers based here can charge vat here and to do so have to be registered, if their turnover is over £85,000 its compulsory, if they arent charging vat then their goods are 16.671% cheaper than someone who is not dearer.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021/changes-to-vat-treatment-of-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021#outline-of-the-changes"

Yes I've seen that as it was sent by HMRC to vat registered businesses, as I've said before the whole purpose is to collect tax due and to stop companies outside of the UK undercutting uk based businesses, do you agree both those are good reasons.

By *5happycoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tooting / dept 23 France

the french market is a very much level playing field , i once met a guy at newhaven , he had come to england to buy a digger , no matter where he went in france the digger was the same price , , he travelled to england and bought the french made digger £10,000 cheaper , can you wonder at it the french want to have tariffs and protect their industry

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Oddly enough I ordered 8 small bottles of something I can't mention on Sunday night from France.

Arrived today, no duty or import tax. Items value £80. Maybe I was lucky.

You were very lucky by the sounds of it.. the courier should have added 20% import duty..

bournemouth

"You were very lucky by the sounds of it.. the courier should have added 20% import duty.."

What import duty ? There is no such thing.

There have been numerous reports of opportunists taking advantage of the confusions and unsuspecting customers. Some of what's being charged is not legit.

"

No import or export duty for anyone...business or individuals. It could be VAT so if so no change there. Not knowing what the individual case is it's hard to know for sure but it is certainly not duty....

"Oddly enough I ordered 8 small bottles of something I can't mention on Sunday night from France.

Arrived today, no duty or import tax. Items value £80. Maybe I was lucky. "

OP was unlucky. You just got treated correctly.

No import or export duty for anyone...business or individuals. It could be VAT so if so no change there. Not knowing what the individual case is it's hard to know for sure but it is certainly not duty...."

A leading French consumer website cited the example of a pair of trainers ordered from a UK website for £270 but manufactured in and shipped from China, saying customs duty of 16.9% and 20% French VAT would bring their cost to about £378.

France

Well my opinion, and just my opinion if your daft enough to pay 270 euro for a pair of trainers from China you deserve everything you get !

By *ushtwoCouple  over a year ago

london

You are being scammed... The Brexit deal means there is no import duty on physical goods between UK and EU

"Well my opinion, and just my opinion if your daft enough to pay 270 euro for a pair of trainers from China you deserve everything you get !"

It's just an example of the brexit mess also applies to lower priced items.

"You are being scammed... The Brexit deal means there is no import duty on physical goods between UK and EU"

Incorrect. Many uk sites sell items manufactured in china etc your into the area of 'country of origin ' do u think France is going to allow the uk to flood the country with cheap junk from china for free ? Blame brexit

No import or export duty for anyone...business or individuals. It could be VAT so if so no change there. Not knowing what the individual case is it's hard to know for sure but it is certainly not duty.... A leading French consumer website cited the example of a pair of trainers ordered from a UK website for £270 but manufactured in and shipped from China, saying customs duty of 16.9% and 20% French VAT would bring their cost to about £378."

Wouldn't that have been in Euros if it was a French consumer website?

"You are being scammed... The Brexit deal means there is no import duty on physical goods between UK and EU

Incorrect. Many uk sites sell items manufactured in china etc your into the area of 'country of origin ' do u think France is going to allow the uk to flood the country with cheap junk from china for free ? Blame brexit"

You'd say anything to blame Brexit

How is the UK going to get China to flood the French market with its products.

We really must stop China selling it's cheap sh*te like Apple, Nike, and most computer chips, memory, clothing, ships, solar panels..

No import or export duty for anyone...business or individuals. It could be VAT so if so no change there. Not knowing what the individual case is it's hard to know for sure but it is certainly not duty.... A leading French consumer website cited the example of a pair of trainers ordered from a UK website for £270 but manufactured in and shipped from China, saying customs duty of 16.9% and 20% French VAT would bring their cost to about £378.

Wouldn't that have been in Euros if it was a French consumer website?"

You think the euro is the uk currency ? Lol.

"You are being scammed... The Brexit deal means there is no import duty on physical goods between UK and EU

Incorrect. Many uk sites sell items manufactured in china etc your into the area of 'country of origin ' do u think France is going to allow the uk to flood the country with cheap junk from china for free ? Blame brexit

You'd say anything to blame Brexit

How is the UK going to get China to flood the French market with its products.

We really must stop China selling it's cheap sh*te like Apple, Nike, and most computer chips, memory, clothing, ships, solar panels.. "

Think this just proves the dimness of some brexiteers, doing what I call the brexit waffle.

Can you not take your Brexit bollocks to the politics forum as it’s been and gone now and the hate and bile spouted is in my very humble apolitical opinion very boring.

T

"Can you not take your Brexit bollocks to the politics forum as it’s been and gone now and the hate and bile spouted is in my very humble apolitical opinion very boring.

T"

It's best to correct falsehoods I'm sure you'll agree.

By *aron_TentakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

Seems to be happening in both directions, a friend of mine ordered some music equipment from a very large and well-known online retailer based in Germany, got sent a bill for about £80 from the courier who won't release it until it's paid, apparently half of the £80 is 'admin'. The item itself cost around £250

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a small parcel from the UK last week without any issues or excess charges.

A small piece of hardware engineered in the UK.

About £40 plus postage.

Some parcels are going through as before.

and sadly some are still stuck at dover.. I have 5 parcels all with holds on them citing brexit as a reason for delay.

Most are saying a 24 hour delay, one has been delayed 3 weeks the rest are at least 2 weeks overdue now..

I'm really not impressed

By *owel CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Living in South of France

Our latest parcel, via a well known site starting with A in the U.K., delivered via Royal Mail, and La Poste, arrived 72 hours early. Just saying.

"Our latest parcel, via a well known site starting with A in the U.K., delivered via Royal Mail, and La Poste, arrived 72 hours early. Just saying. "

wow Youre lucky, I've tried them all U, D, F, and La P.. all as slow as each other both ways..

By *limmatureguyMan  over a year ago

Tonbridge

"Our latest parcel, via a well known site starting with A in the U.K., delivered via Royal Mail, and La Poste, arrived 72 hours early. Just saying. "

I' m ordering from that well known site but using the .fr rather than .co.uk and then the stuff is delivered from their french fulfillment depots. No delays.

» Add a new message to this topic