FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > France > Favourite area / town?

Favourite area / town?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ebjonnson OP   Man  over a year ago

Maldon

Difficult I know but name your fave area or town in France.

I particularly like Collioure.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eparrain1Man  over a year ago

Stone

"Difficult I know but name your fave area or town in France.

I particularly like Collioure. "

Paris for me

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I like the Alps and particularly the area around Valloise, in the Ecrans.

By *avinatvwirralTV/TS  over a year ago

wirral

North Dordogne around Riberac.

Paris

Too many beautiful regions and places to be able to just name one.

As it is such a large country there is something for everyone.

By *rightonfranceMan  over a year ago

brighton - chalais france

Riberac, don't you mean little Britain???

By *annyT1966Man  over a year ago

Derwentside

Aude or Ariège

Maldon

"Too many beautiful regions and places to be able to just name one.

As it is such a large country there is something for everyone."

I agree . I thought exactly that when posting but went ahead anyway. I’m missing France, I think last year was first since my mid twenties that I haven’t been.

By *PUKFranceCouple  over a year ago

Bordeaux

Cant get better than St Emilion best wine in France XXX

Having worked all over France I rather like all areas I’ve been to for different reasons but my personal favorite is Chateauroux because it’s a lovely friendly little city with my favorite crap football team in it.

T

Maldon

"Cant get better than St Emilion best wine in France XXX"

But is it? I’m not thick when it comes to wine and I have sampled a fair bit. I would always go Rhône valley for white and anything but French for red. Unless out there then I would go local and it’s been ok.

Yet to really learn about Bordeaux red. I’ve dropped enough hints to people over the years “educate me please “, but no offers. I have been to St Emillion and it’s a special

Place indeed.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Led Eyzies in Dordogne. Peaceful, quiet and relaxing.

Nearby Sarlat is hectic during main tourist season, but beautiful.

By *ot Wife BeckyCouple  over a year ago

Agde, France

France is such a diverse country, you can see why the French have no need to holiday abroad.

We obviously love the area where we live of course, but there's so many places to choose from.

Most of last year saw us touring, when restrictions allowed.

We loved the Three Valleys and also thought the city of Dijon was fantastic. Certainly have plans to re-visit there soon.

Loire valley is beautiful in it's own way.

Coastal Brittany is stunning.

But for us, Herault has everything we need. Mountains for walking or touring on the bike and great for our MTB's.

Great climate and some of the best beaches right on our doorstep.

Only an hour from Spain, three hours from Barcelona.

Oh yes, it has Cap as well...

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

Being stranded in France the last year and perhaps for years to come we’ve taken to long weekend breaks (socially distancing of course).

This year, walking with snow rackets in January in the Pyrenees, February walking amongst the Menhirs of the Cevennes, this month discovering the real Provence in the Luberon.

There is so much to enjoy just in the southern part of France and such diversity of landscape, foods and wine.

"Too many beautiful regions and places to be able to just name one.

As it is such a large country there is something for everyone.

I agree . I thought exactly that when posting but went ahead anyway. I’m missing France, I think last year was first since my mid twenties that I haven’t been. "

Yes I was living in France but came back last March cos of family and lockdown. Planning to go over for the summer though and can't wait to go back.

Lived in Angers (Loire valley) for three years as a teenager, must get back there sometime.

Have owned a house in the Cher (Centre) for almost 30 years, like others, last year was the first year I haven't been to France for decades! I miss it so much

By *reeneggsandsamMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

"

It is a stunning little town with masses of charm, but it's a badly kept secret. The volume of people in the summer prevents me from falling in love with it.

For me, I like the ordinary towns and visit the stunning spots on days out. That way you're not coping with the hordes in the summer.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

Studied in Toulouse...that's a great city, la ville rose..

Perpignan ...spent several months around that area.

By *_in_France_23Man  over a year ago

central France & Paris

I live near Limoges but for me the Loire Valley and in particular Tours is stunning! Amazing wine, beautiful area and sound good fishing as well

Maldon

"I live near Limoges but for me the Loire Valley and in particular Tours is stunning! Amazing wine, beautiful area and sound good fishing as well "

Great cycling also. I have cycled Saumur to Nevers but want to return when possible, start at the coast and go right across France to the Rhine. One can dream.

Disney area for me

By *heccoCouple  over a year ago

Normandy France

Baden Baden (ok yes it's in Germany but just over the border from France,,,) great natural Spa and very good hiking in the Foret Noire (dose that make it sound more French?)

Maldon

"Baden Baden (ok yes it's in Germany but just over the border from France,,,) great natural Spa and very good hiking in the Foret Noire (dose that make it sound more French?)

"

I want to cycle around that region. A spa after a hard day in the saddle - bliss!

By *axtenMan  over a year ago

Stokesley

Always loved the Loire. Looking into touring again and visiting Guedelon Castle too ..fantastic govt sponsored project over there. Wish ours would do something similar. Maybe even renovate an old abbey ..Rievaulx gets my vote

By *asques and boxersCouple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

Property in 16500 which we love but love our to trips to Congac and surrounding areas.

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

Our favourite place too. Arras during summer festivals is also great.

"Property in 16500 which we love but love our to trips to Congac and surrounding areas."

A few years ago we had a renovation job in the center of Cognac and really enjoyed being there for six months because it’s a great place to live and so different from living in the middle of nowhere.

T

Maldon

"Property in 16500 which we love but love our to trips to Congac and surrounding areas.

A few years ago we had a renovation job in the center of Cognac and really enjoyed being there for six months because it’s a great place to live and so different from living in the middle of nowhere.

T"

That’s on the list for my next cycle trip to France

What's Paris like in December? Was thinking about a long weekend to see the Christmas lights, market stalls ect... never been before. I was going to book but then I read some comments about it been freezing cold and it constantly rains, worse than Scotland?

Agde, France

Very similar to London, a bit bit warmer.

You just have to strike lucky with the weather.

"Very similar to London, a bit bit warmer.

You just have to strike lucky with the weather."

Is it worth a Christmas trip though, I love a sparkling Christmas vibe

Agde, France

You said you were going to book a holiday, but were put off by the rain and cold.

Whether it's worth going to a big city in winter is a personal choice.

I was looking for comments about the general Christmas vibe and extra things that may be on during the Christmas period in paris.

By *exjoyMan  over a year ago

bicester

Best Christmas vibe is in Strasbourg, best markets...

Lyion hosts an amazing event, festival of lights, affter Christmas if i remember

Paris is not at its best in winter, Spring is fabulous

"Best Christmas vibe is in Strasbourg, best markets...

Lyion hosts an amazing event, festival of lights, affter Christmas if i remember

Paris is not at its best in winter, Spring is fabulous"

Oh I'll have a look, thank you hun

By *agle76Man  over a year ago

Birstall

Annecy is beautiful. Lake and mountains

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

Big city: Lyon

Smaller city: Pau

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

"Best Christmas vibe is in Strasbourg, best markets...

Paris is not at its best in winter, Spring is fabulous"

Yes, I've seen the video. Also Jean Michel Jarre had a little concert there in 1986, on my birthday. over the river and the hill, to tie in with the one in Houston's 150th Birthday. His warm up act was the Pope. Wasn't there, what a shame!

Did I use the word little?

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

We are starting to look for a house in France - currently our favourite areas are Creuse and Correze.

Nice and peaceful, but reasonably central for weekends away in the camping car.

"We are starting to look for a house in France - currently our favourite areas are Creuse and Correze.

Nice and peaceful, but reasonably central for weekends away in the camping car."

Look also at the Lot, lot et garrone and the Charente Maritime, often overlooked places..

By *nottygirlWoman  over a year ago

Glasgowshire

Oh this is a wonderful thread! I've been to France 5 times and still have many places I'd like to visit there, I've even started thinking I'd like to live there!

I'll share my wonderful trips with you, impossible to have just one favourite place - sorry OP!

1998 - Hubby and I booked a gite in the countryside easy of Paris which was great, 5 minute walk to the small village which had the most wonderful restaurant only we would find in large cities here in the UK, bakery same. Did Disneyland Paris, full long day trip to Paris, lovely drive to Chantonay, Moet en Chandon visit/tour, as I'm writing this I realise how wonderful that holiday was and I find myself writing more than I intended so I'll stop now lol

My 4 other trips which were all brill:

2007 - South of France with hubby and young son to campsite (mobile home) with excellent clean pool. Oh I could write so much more about this too! D

2019 - Went alone to watch Scotland women's football team play against Argentina in France which was fab. Again I could write so much more!

2019 - I travelled alone to watch a mountain stage of the Tour de France. Flew to Geneva and took the train down to the 3 valleys. Scotland gets complimented on being a beautiful country but this are is stunning!! The accommodation I booked in the 3 valleys was kerb side to where the Tour came through - absolutely brilliant!!

Sorry for the long post but the thread really stirred some wonderful memories and experiences and future trips to France have now aroused my mind!!

"We are starting to look for a house in France - currently our favourite areas are Creuse and Correze.

Nice and peaceful, but reasonably central for weekends away in the camping car."

Herault is great , good access to airports for UK , close to Spain, Cap D'agde a real mixture of.mountains, med and vineyards and prices are good. Weather is excellent ...really great place, happy to answer any queatikns or assist, we can even put you up for viewing trips

By *annyT1966Man  over a year ago

Derwentside

Nice and peaceful, but reasonably central for weekends away in the camping car. Herault is great , good access to airports for UK , close to Spain, Cap D'agde a real mixture of.mountains, med and vineyards and prices are good. Weather is excellent ...really great place, happy to answer any queatikns or assist, we can even put you up for viewing trips"

Have to agree. Great place to visit even for vanilla holidays!

Leigh

Nice and peaceful, but reasonably central for weekends away in the camping car.

Herault is great , good access to airports for UK , close to Spain, Cap D'agde a real mixture of.mountains, med and vineyards and prices are good. Weather is excellent ...really great place, happy to answer any queatikns or assist, we can even put you up for viewing trips"

We are just hoping to be able to use our ferry tickets this Summer to continue the search.

We agree Herault is nice. Not bothered about airport access, we always take the motorhome.

By *iboy1968Man  over a year ago

cramlington

I live in the Correze and it’s gorgeous here with extremely friendly people

Mind I do love the countryside

I love it around that area collioure us lovely

Totnes

"Big city: Lyon

Smaller city: Pau

"

Pau is nice ..has the first golf course built in France..by a scotsman that lived in Pau...

Fun fact

By *OVELYGEMSCouple  over a year ago

Southwest France /Plymouth

We live in Charante Maritime 17470, about hour from La Rochelle and Niort, about 40 minutes from Cognac we love it. So peaceful but will be better when things get back to normal, missing bars, restaurants and clubs.

Totnes

"We live in Charante Maritime 17470, about hour from La Rochelle and Niort, about 40 minutes from Cognac we love it. So peaceful but will be better when things get back to normal, missing bars, restaurants and clubs."

I drove up from Spain once ...the area north of Bordeaux was deserted...no young people left in the villages ..quite sad in some of the places

They are both a long way to go for weekends if you don’t fly. NW France Is do-able for weekends.

Leigh

"They are both a long way to go for weekends if you don’t fly. NW France Is do-able for weekends."

It will be a permanent move, depending on the visa requirements once the current Brexit and vaccine hysteria has settled down. The idea is to buy, refurbish over a couple of years in month long stints then move.

From where we are it takes a day to get to Dover so weekends aren't really worth it anyway.

To be honest, getting the right property is more important than the exact location as we like most of rural France and it is the quality of life we are seeking.

cramlington

"They are both a long way to go for weekends if you don’t fly. NW France Is do-able for weekends.

It will be a permanent move, depending on the visa requirements once the current Brexit and vaccine hysteria has settled down. The idea is to buy, refurbish over a couple of years in month long stints then move.

From where we are it takes a day to get to Dover so weekends aren't really worth it anyway.

To be honest, getting the right property is more important than the exact location as we like most of rural France and it is the quality of life we are seeking."

Check out a lot of different estate agents. The bigger ones have good websites and are a lot easier to navigate but the smaller ones mostly french or Dutch usually have poor websites but the houses are better priced

"They are both a long way to go for weekends if you don’t fly. NW France Is do-able for weekends.

To be honest, getting the right property is more important than the exact location as we like most of rural France and it is the quality of life we are seeking."

Cheaper still is if you find an area you like, ask the local Marie what properties are for sale.. normally much cheaper..

There is a Facebook group for property for sale that may interest you, some are direct from sellers and some are via agents.

Maldon

I would want to go far enough south to get warmer weather- a guaranteed summer

By *ucianpoundCouple  over a year ago

Cap d’Agde, France

To be honest, getting the right property is more important than the exact location as we like most of rural France and it is the quality of life we are seeking.

I would want to go far enough south to get warmer weather- a guaranteed summer "

Living in Cap d'Agde on the Med, we will have good weather from now until late October and plenty of sunny days during the winter.

It does get cold though and we have lit a fire most nights since November

A number of factors though should influence your choice of location not least living in an area where the French also want to live. There are lots of folk all over France in beautifully renovated houses who can't sell their properties because their market is so limited.

Also I think its important to be in area where there are plenty of anglophones, unless you are a linguist, deeper communication will always be difficult as well as swing opportunities.

Of course though, if you are quite self contained there are some spectacular places to live all over France.

cramlington

I would want to go far enough south to get warmer weather- a guaranteed summer

Living in Cap d'Agde on the Med, we will have good weather from now until late October and plenty of sunny days during the winter.

It does get cold though and we have lit a fire most nights since November

A number of factors though should influence your choice of location not least living in an area where the French also want to live. There are lots of folk all over France in beautifully renovated houses who can't sell their properties because their market is so limited.

Also I think its important to be in area where there are plenty of anglophones, unless you are a linguist, deeper communication will always be difficult as well as swing opportunities.

Of course though, if you are quite self contained there are some spectacular places to live all over France."

Good advice all round

Leigh

Thanks for all the excellent advice. The first aim is to be able to use our ferry tickets this Summer to look around again - we meandered through Northern France to Mayenne then south through Indre, Creuse and Correze to Dordogne last summer before our trip was curtailed by needing to return to quarantine.

We aren't in any hurry as it is a long term plan which may be thwarted by visa requirements.

Far enough south for a reasonable summer, but not too hot is our preference.

We may prefer to pick up one of the renovated properties which are difficult to sell as the prices are good. Or we may go for one to renovate once we get to grips with the legal requirements for local labour / architects etc.

Anglophones are not essential - we aren't yet fully proficient but know enough to have a general conversation. Immersing ourselves in a French area will bring the language on quickly.

My house is in Mayenne and I like the area. I chose to live in the centre of a large village, rather than totally rural. I therefore have all the amenities I want in walking distance and it is less than 2 hours drive from Caen ferry. If I get the 8am ferry from Portsmouth I can be home in France by 5pm.

The countryside is very similar to Sussex and the weather is too - summer usually a little warmer and winters a little colder. However my village is in valley between rolling hills and seems to protect us from extreme weather that other local places get and rain often passes us by.

The local people are very polite and friendly but when I moved over full time they treated me as a neighbour, rather than a holiday home owner and it makes a difference.

I have visited many parts of France on holiday for 15 years and all areas have their charms. I don’t like high temperatures in the summer so where I am suits me. The more places you can visit at different times of the year the better, many holiday areas are deserted during winter with most amenities closed so that is something to take account of. With regard to property the cost of using tradesmen is much higher in France than U.K. so facture this in carefully if looking at a ruin.

Wish you luck in finding your future home.

By *istalloverCouple  over a year ago

Pays de la Loire -Normandie -Brittany borderFrance

As above

Love La Rochelle.Visited Nice and Monaco( not for us)Toulon too but too expensive.

We are also in Mayenne.a pretty good compromise,Brittany is also good St Nazaire etc but too far out of the way for us .After 5 years pretty settled now . If we were to emigrate again,

Maybe the whole hog ,Costa rica .Oz or somewhere even Ben Fogle wouldn't go to

Agde, France

We were given some great advice before we moved over.

Rent some where in an area you really like.

After six months, you'll know whether it's the right area or not and it's easier to move on or stay put while you go through the buying process, which can take a long time here.

When you move house in the UK, you often have an idea of where you want to be and have some prior knowledge.

That's not normally the case in a new country, so try before you buy. Knowing the area from holidays is one thing, living there is another.

It could save a lot of money and heartache.

It worked for us, the village we thought was perfect for us turned out to be the opposite.

By *moothshaftMan  over a year ago

Coventry

Such a beautiful country.

Being a motorcyclist, I loved the Alps, and the Route Napoleon, and down into Nice, I think it's the N85.

Really need to go again.

By *ap AdgeMan  over a year ago

Chester

Love France all the region's and all the Naturist sites too

"Riberac, don't you mean little Britain???"

It's not that bad, most of the Dordogne has a massive ex pat community .

"Riberac, don't you mean little Britain???

It's not that bad, most of the Dordogne has a massive ex pat community . "

Its the only Leclerc in France where the tannoy messages are in both English and French.

And Riberac actually has more English than French in it. I did the demographics a few years ago for a business plan..

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"Being a motorcyclist, I loved the Alps, and the Route Napoleon, and down into Nice, I think it's the N85"

Even better than the N85, go East from Lyon to Chambéry, then go South via Saint-Étienne-de-Cuines, Valloire, Guillestre, Le Lauzet-Ubaye and the M2205…

We’ve driven between Calais/Dunkerque and the Cote d’Azur/Esterel hundreds of times and by every conceivable route (Dunkerque-Vierzon- Ordino (Andorra)- La Seu d'Urgell-La Molina-Ripoll-Céret-Argelès Plage-Narbonne-Agde- Martigues-La Grande-Motte-Aigues-Mortes was a nice trip but we took a couple of overnights), pm for any hints you might need.

Oh, and the best region is the Var!

By *exjoyMan  over a year ago

bicester

Var? The mountain side of Alpes Maritime (06j offers most beautiful views of the sea, as well as mountain feels

Absolute best is Corsica, Ile de Beaute

One word: unique

By *exstewnzMan  over a year ago

LONDON

I agree that there is a lot to recommend about Normandy and Brittany. I try to get over to La Baule, a hidden gem of a resort on the Atlantic Coast of Brittany, every year A 6-7 hour drive from the Tunnel, empty beaches including fun naturist ones with discreet woodlands nearby. Already booked my tunnel ticket in late July and hopeful that lockdown will be lifted on both sides by then. As you say, friendly people and very welcoming. Hope you get to go over as well!!

Maldon

"

I agree that there is a lot to recommend about Normandy and Brittany. I try to get over to La Baule, a hidden gem of a resort on the Atlantic Coast of Brittany, every year A 6-7 hour drive from the Tunnel, empty beaches including fun naturist ones with discreet woodlands nearby. Already booked my tunnel ticket in late July and hopeful that lockdown will be lifted on both sides by then. As you say, friendly people and very welcoming. Hope you get to go over as well!!"

I want to cycle down the west coast. Next year I hope.

Orange for me, so layed back

By *aron_TentakuruMan  over a year ago

Exeter

I love Collioure although I've not spent much time there, usually just a stop off for lunch when taking the coastal road over the mountains and into Spain.

I could definitely see myself retiring somewhere like that though. Small town by the sea, simple life, sit outside soaking up the rays drinking coffee all morning and Pastis all afternoon.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

I'd never heard of Collioure, just looked it up and it seems lovely. Only an hour from where our boat is berthed (or was... we haven't visited it for six months, nor driven our car stuck in the garage for over a year!). But when things get back to normal...

By *omo666Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Marsille my favourite city

By *exleybuffboyMan  over a year ago

sidcup

I am so glad that my favourite place in all France hasn't been mentioned yet. I shall not reveal mon coin de paradis on here. X

By *ol_hereMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I live in annecy ..it really is awesome...voted best place to live in France a few weeks ago and I couldnt agree more...

Pau / Biarritz . South West . Absolutely stunning

My favourite country . Just beautiful

By *B1000Couple  over a year ago

North Lakes and Manchester

"I live in annecy ..it really is awesome...voted best place to live in France a few weeks ago and I couldnt agree more... "

Can totally understand, living in the Lake District we love lakes and mountains and U.K. could learn so much from Annecy, lakeside cycle paths with Walker segregation, easy and free lakeside access etc but it does still suffer the same overcrowding in peak times so as much as we love it we tend to avoid the main town now. There are so many places we do love and avoiding the Cot D’Azur (same reason) there are so many amazing places and quaint little villages off the beaten track we generally look for whilst touring around … La Sabliere camping or pont en royans being favourite stop offs on the way to Cap, then Baune & Reims on the way back to top up the wine rack

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

I've not explored France as much as other countries but I do like the Rhone-Alpes area

"Led Eyzies in Dordogne. Peaceful, quiet and relaxing.

Nearby Sarlat is hectic during main tourist season, but beautiful."

Difficult to find a French person in Les Eyzies ....not a plus

Maldon

"Led Eyzies in Dordogne. Peaceful, quiet and relaxing.

Nearby Sarlat is hectic during main tourist season, but beautiful. Difficult to find a French person in Les Eyzies ....not a plus"

I remember stopping for a lovely croissant amande and coffee there. The people in the cafe were all French

Toulouse / Biarritz . Played rugby there in my younger years

» Add a new message to this topic